ADVERTISEMENT

Make changes

willievic

Senior
Aug 29, 2005
Louisville, KY.
I was banned a couple of times from posting, because of disputing some of the posters who thought Cal walked on water. I believe a lot more fans are seeing that Cal can't coach. I have nothing against Cal as a person. In fact, I met him in Mexico years ago when we played down there, and really enjoyed talking to him. After reading his book, I realized he was more interested in sending players to the NBA, then winning Championships. The "Dribble Drive," will showcase a players talent, much better than "pick and roll, back door cuts, setting proper screens, etc. In his book he talked about making the players family rich, more than winning Championships. I don't think a coach should tell a player, who is thinking about returning to play another year, after his Freshman year, "You will have to convince me why you should return." I think it should be, "You will have to convince me why you should go to the NBA."
I would like to see players remain at UK more than one or two years, if their not ready for the NBA, instead of the goal, "Go to the NBA after one year." A lot of us on here have played basketball, and we see teams using basics which I am talking about, and beating us. It's hard to Drive when the opposing teams pack it in.
At 83 years young, I have followed the CATS for over 70 years, listening to Cawood on an old Airline radio from Montgomery Ward, with my Grandpa. I love the Cats, and always will. The game passes coaches by, and I can name a few of them, but you know them. Change is inevitable if you want to win. Coaches know what Cal's teams are going to do, and defense against it. Talent alone WILL NOT win, as has been proven at UK for the last 6 or 7 years. If in Florida, join us at Johnny Malloys in Bonita Springs.

It's not that he can't coach but rather he has failed to adapt to the changing evolution of the game. You don't beat 1996 uk if you can't coach, you don't take Memphis to a 38 win season if you can't coach, you don't win 38 twice at UK, something no other UK coach or any other coach at any other program has done even once, you don't take a primarily freshmen team to the national title game, etc, if you couldn't ever coach.

The calipari we have now isn't the calipari of even 4 years ago in 2018-2019 though. Something broke in him and the current version isn't a good coach at all.

You have some good points, and I agree with much of what you are saying. For example, I think Cal is a terrible in-game coach. He shrinks under pressure, and takes his foot off the gas when he should be choking teams out.

That being said, his comments around convincing players to return/go to the NBA are essential to the brand he has built since the inception of the one and done. Players find that refreshing, i.e. that he's looking out for their best interest, even ahead of the need to win championships. And that's how he's getting the top talent.

The schtick has well outworn it's welcome. We're ready for a change, because Cal most certainly will not.

It's not that he can't coach but rather he has failed to adapt to the changing evolution of the game. You don't beat 1996 uk if you can't coach, you don't take Memphis to a 38 win season if you can't coach, you don't win 38 twice at UK, something no other UK coach or any other coach at any other program has done even once, you don't take a primarily freshmen team to the national title game, etc, if you couldn't ever coach.

The calipari we have now isn't the calipari of even 4 years ago in 2018-2019 though. Something broke in him and the current version isn't a good coach at all.
I have said in the past that Cal had to be able to coach, based on what he did at U Mass and Memphis, but he has changed. I could, and did fly supersonic aircraft in the USAF when I was young, but I couldn't today, even though I know how. Time has caught up with me, just as it has Cal.

Just a thought.

Could it be the UK administration(no past attachments to UK or Kentucky) likes what begok has done to UK men's basketball? Do they really care if UK wins or loses? Are they so "woke" their vision of UK is merely a state focal point for left wing wokeism?

Is begok actually fulfilling their goal of diminished UK superiority and "EQUITY" for all?

Tough questions. but, the accepted demise of the program and no discourse from the administration advocating for improvement appears to indicate begok is doing as they desire.

Destruction of the UK /Rupp legacy.

rr

I have said in the past that Cal had to be able to coach, based on what he did at U Mass and Memphis, but he has changed. I could, and did fly supersonic aircraft in the USAF when I was young, but I couldn't today, even though I know how. Time has caught up with me, just as it has Cal.

I don't understand here.
First people say that the game has passed Cal by. That he hasn't adapted. He doesn't have a "modern offense"
But then people say he's changed since his days at Umass and Memphis.

So which is it exactly? Is the problem that he's changed? Is the problem that he hasn't changed?

IMO the comments about the NBA do not bother me. If you get a bunch of players get drafted by the NBA, they are the best of the best players in the game. How do you win titles? By having the best of the best players. The two goals have always been exclusive of one another.

I get people being frustrated with Cal and frustrated how the past few seasons have gone. But this whole notion about the man not being able to coach is a bit ridiculous when you have the resume he has. He can certainly coach. The problem IMO between say pre 15 and post 15 is the quality of players we are getting. We had a good team last season. Fought for a 1 seed most of the year. And despite people still complaining about the offense, it was a top 5 offense. Despite it being you know "not modern".

This year we are handing out mins to Lance Ware and Jacob Toppin. This team might still figure it out. They have time but when you look at who we are relying on for big games, it's pretty easy to see what the issue is. There is no coaching that is going to turn Ware into a starter. None. Cal gets blame for this season but IMO not because of some unmodern offense or his inability to coach but rather the recruiting wasn't as strong IMO. Also his insistence on starting some players over others. Although he sees them in practice every day. Maybe he knows guys like Ugonna and Theiro just aren't there yet.

Just a thought.

Could it be the UK administration(no past attachments to UK or Kentucky) likes what begok has done to UK men's basketball? Do they really care if UK wins or loses? Are they so "woke" their vision of UK is merely a state focal point for left wing wokeism?

Is begok actually fulfilling their goal of diminished UK superiority and "EQUITY" for all?

Tough questions. but, the accepted demise of the program and no discourse from the administration advocating for improvement appears to indicate begok is doing as they desire.

rr

Does this really seem like a realistic option to you? It’s all part of a woke conspiracy?

I was banned a couple of times from posting, because of disputing some of the posters who thought Cal walked on water. I believe a lot more fans are seeing that Cal can't coach. I have nothing against Cal as a person. In fact, I met him in Mexico years ago when we played down there, and really enjoyed talking to him. After reading his book, I realized he was more interested in sending players to the NBA, then winning Championships. The "Dribble Drive," will showcase a players talent, much better than "pick and roll, back door cuts, setting proper screens, etc. In his book he talked about making the players family rich, more than winning Championships. I don't think a coach should tell a player, who is thinking about returning to play another year, after his Freshman year, "You will have to convince me why you should return." I think it should be, "You will have to convince me why you should go to the NBA."
I would like to see players remain at UK more than one or two years, if their not ready for the NBA, instead of the goal, "Go to the NBA after one year." A lot of us on here have played basketball, and we see teams using basics which I am talking about, and beating us. It's hard to Drive when the opposing teams pack it in.
At 83 years young, I have followed the CATS for over 70 years, listening to Cawood on an old Airline radio from Montgomery Ward, with my Grandpa. I love the Cats, and always will. The game passes coaches by, and I can name a few of them, but you know them. Change is inevitable if you want to win. Coaches know what Cal's teams are going to do, and defense against it. Talent alone WILL NOT win, as has been proven at UK for the last 6 or 7 years. If in Florida, join us at Johnny Malloys in Bonita Springs.
Good to see you again willievic .. you ar the guy whose son ( or son in law ??) was a big Cal supporter and you have season tix around mid field at the football games .. correct ? We met 2 years ago if I'm thinking correctly

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
The lifetime contract took all of Cal's desire to actually Coach. The fire is gone. He is fat and lazy.
He refuses to change. The game has changed dramatically in the last 5 years even.
Cal could flat out coach. He could again if he has desire.
You don't win a UMass and Memphis the way he did and not be able to coach.
He won at UMass even before Camby stepped on campus.
He had no elite players at UMass except Camby. So he can win without elite players. He has proved that in the past.
Barnhart is to blame for this mess.
You would think Cal would have at least one good friend out there somewhere. That he would listen to. A friend that would be brutally honest with him. Tell him he either needs to change his coaching philosophy or step away. Because what you're doing isn't going to ever work again.

The lifetime contract took all of Cal's desire to actually Coach. The fire is gone. He is fat and lazy.
He refuses to change. The game has changed dramatically in the last 5 years even.
Cal could flat out coach. He could again if he has desire.
You don't win a UMass and Memphis the way he did and not be able to coach.
He won at UMass even before Camby stepped on campus.
He had no elite players at UMass except Camby. So he can win without elite players. He has proved that in the past.
Barnhart is to blame for this mess.
You would think Cal would have at least one good friend out there somewhere. That he would listen to. A friend that would be brutally honest with him. Tell him he either needs to change his coaching philosophy or step away. Because what you're doing isn't going to ever work again.

Can you elaborate on the game has changed dramatically in what way? We still recruit at a high level usually 1-3 best recruiting classes every year. You still have a head coach assistant coaches, trainers, referees, fans, 2 goals and 5 starting players. Outside of NIL what part of the game has dramatically changed? We have suffered in the last 5 years not having great guards and shooters.

Can you elaborate on the game has changed dramatically in what way? We still recruit at a high level usually 1-3 best recruiting classes every year. You still have a head coach assistant coaches, trainers, referees, fans, 2 goals and 5 starting players. Outside of NIL what part of the game has dramatically changed? We have suffered in the last 5 years not having great guards and shooters.
You stated "usually 1-3 best recruiting classes every year" then state "have suffered in the last 5 years not having great guards and shooters" -- which is it, cannot be both!

Just a thought.

rr

You know what they say about opinions.

Dan, you are right. I still have my football seats, but give basketball up. I still love the CATS, My two Grandsons are in medical school at UK. My son is no longer a big Cal fan. He loves the CATS, but thinks Cal should go. I really like the coach at LSU who was at Murray State prior to going to LSU. At 83, I'm still enjoying life. In the summer, I swing a chainsaw about three days a week, and tend a big garden. Be sure and come by and say hello next year at the football game. Good to hear from you.
Good to see you again willievic .. you ar the guy whose son ( or son in law ??) was a big Cal supporter and you have season tix around mid field at the football games .. correct ? We met 2 years ago if I'm thinking correctly

Reactions: ManitouDan
I don't understand here.
First people say that the game has passed Cal by. That he hasn't adapted. He doesn't have a "modern offense"
But then people say he's changed since his days at Umass and Memphis.

So which is it exactly? Is the problem that he's changed? Is the problem that he hasn't changed?

IMO the comments about the NBA do not bother me. If you get a bunch of players get drafted by the NBA, they are the best of the best players in the game. How do you win titles? By having the best of the best players. The two goals have always been exclusive of one another.

I get people being frustrated with Cal and frustrated how the past few seasons have gone. But this whole notion about the man not being able to coach is a bit ridiculous when you have the resume he has. He can certainly coach. The problem IMO between say pre 15 and post 15 is the quality of players we are getting. We had a good team last season. Fought for a 1 seed most of the year. And despite people still complaining about the offense, it was a top 5 offense. Despite it being you know "not modern".

This year we are handing out mins to Lance Ware and Jacob Toppin. This team might still figure it out. They have time but when you look at who we are relying on for big games, it's pretty easy to see what the issue is. There is no coaching that is going to turn Ware into a starter. None. Cal gets blame for this season but IMO not because of some unmodern offense or his inability to coach but rather the recruiting wasn't as strong IMO. Also his insistence on starting some players over others. Although he sees them in practice every day. Maybe he knows guys like Ugonna and Theiro just aren't there yet.
You ask, How do you win titles. You win titles by having players who play for each other, and the school their at. Players who stay more than one year, and players who ONLY goal is not to get to the NBA. That brings selfish play! Name me a team that won the NC with ALL Freshmen. The "Dribble Drive" showcases the players talent, but it does not get you a Championship. Old fashioned basics, pick and roll, back door cuts, screens, etc. will get you the Championship. Cal refuses to change. Other teams who have won the Championship do not get all 5 stars. How about Virginia, and U Conn?

Just a thought.

rr

Some of the crazy shit I read on this board 😂

You ask, How do you win titles. You win titles by having players who play for each other, and the school their at. Players who stay more than one year, and players who ONLY goal is not to get to the NBA. That brings selfish play! Name me a team that won the NC with ALL Freshmen. The "Dribble Drive" showcases the players talent, but it does not get you a Championship. Old fashioned basics, pick and roll, back door cuts, screens, etc. will get you the Championship. Cal refuses to change. Other teams who have won the Championship do not get all 5 stars. How about Virginia, and U Conn?

2012 did happen. Yes it wasn't all freshman but it was vastly underclassman led. The reason you don't see it often is because how many teams are actually freshman led? Even our teams most of the years in recent history aren't freshmen led lol. It doesn't happen because no teams exist like that. If you had a monster recruiting class and had a team with all freshman do I think they "could" win a title? Yeah sure. But it's just an odds game. Way more teams led the other way. Like 99% of them.

I just don't agree. In the 12 years that Cal has been here, there's been very few instances where I thought the team was playing for themselves. You can have aspirations for the NBA and still play as a team. We wouldn't have won in 2012 if we didn't play for each other. Heck what about the story about MKG going into Cal's office and telling him to start Darius Miller because he thought it would be better for the team? I just have seen zero evidence our teams have been selfish.

Was 2015 being selfish when we platooned? Talk about sacrificing for your team. Everyone on that team basically deserved more mins than they got and they were all okay with it.

There's issues here but I don't think it's selfishness or that the players only care for themselves.

2012 did happen. Yes it wasn't all freshman but it was vastly underclassman led. The reason you don't see it often is because how many teams are actually freshman led? Even our teams most of the years in recent history aren't freshmen led lol. It doesn't happen because no teams exist like that. If you had a monster recruiting class and had a team with all freshman do I think they "could" win a title? Yeah sure. But it's just an odds game. Way more teams led the other way. Like 99% of them.

I just don't agree. In the 12 years that Cal has been here, there's been very few instances where I thought the team was playing for themselves. You can have aspirations for the NBA and still play as a team. We wouldn't have won in 2012 if we didn't play for each other. Heck what about the story about MKG going into Cal's office and telling him to start Darius Miller because he thought it would be better for the team? I just have seen zero evidence our teams have been selfish.

Was 2015 being selfish when we platooned? Talk about sacrificing for your team. Everyone on that team basically deserved more mins than they got and they were all okay with it.

There's issues here but I don't think it's selfishness or that the players only care for themselves.

He makes a couple of fair points in there somewhere but then goes off sounding like an old man yelling at the kids to get off his lawn.

Reactions: The_Answer1313

Tell me about today versus Alabama.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Tell me about today versus Alabama.

What do you want to discuss exactly?

This team didn't get blown out because they are "selfish" or "don't care". They got blown out because Alabama is just better than we are. They are more talented than we are. It's crystal clear to me we don't have a good team this season. There's really nothing else to discuss.

Reactions: megablue
Well Cal isn’t helping anyone on this squad get rich. Cason was a lottery pick, but now who knows. His draft stock took a nose-dive today.

And Oscar just confirmed again what the scouts already know - he can’t guard NBA forwards and he can’t score against them.

Oscar will be lucky at this point to go late second-round. Toppin will not be drafted or play a minute in the NBA. Livingston will either stay for another year (and come off the bench) or transfer.

What do you want to discuss exactly?

This team didn't get blown out because they are "selfish" or "don't care". They got blown out because Alabama is just better than we are. They are more talented than we are. It's crystal clear to me we don't have a good team this season. There's really nothing else to discuss.
How many SET plays did you see. How about "Pick and rolls, instead of standing around. How many times have you seen our center set a screen, and roll to the basket, instead of standing there? When we set screens, the defensive man follows his man around, instead of going around the back of the screener. How many backdoor cuts have you seen by us? I have seen a lot by the other teams. On paper, one on one, Alabama is not that much better than us, but they are a lot better coached. I never see double screen or multiple screens, where a shooter can get squared up to shoot. Oats did his homework. It seems like the last 6 years, just about every team in the Top 25 has better talent then us, based on your post. Have you ever thought it might be better coaching?

You need to read Cal's book, "It's All About the Players." and then you will know why I say what I do. I don't dislike Cal, I just think he is more about getting the players to the NBA, then winning Championships. Three other teams have won two NC while he has been here, with less talent, but better coaching.

Just a thought.

rr
Nonsense.

Lexington isn't Berkeley.

The current coach has "bigger goals" than winning championships. But he is isolated in that way of looking at it, and that is going to end his coaching career. UK is still a championship culture, even if the current coach is no longer a satisfactory fit for the job.

How many SET plays did you see. How about "Pick and rolls, instead of standing around. How many times have you seen our center set a screen, and roll to the basket, instead of standing there? When we set screens, the defensive man follows his man around, instead of going around the back of the screener. How many backdoor cuts have you seen by us? I have seen a lot by the other teams. On paper, one on one, Alabama is not that much better than us, but they are a lot better coached. I never see double screen or multiple screens, where a shooter can get squared up to shoot. Oats did his homework. It seems like the last 6 years, just about every team in the Top 25 has better talent then us, based on your post. Have you ever thought it might be better coaching?
This!

Well Cal isn’t helping anyone on this squad get rich. Cason was a lottery pick, but now who knows. His draft stock took a nose-dive today.

And Oscar just confirmed again what the scouts already know - he can’t guard NBA forwards and he can’t score against them.

Oscar will be lucky at this point to go late second-round. Toppin will not be drafted or play a minute in the NBA. Livingston will either stay for another year (and come off the bench) or transfer.
I agree 100% with what you have posted.

Reactions: CincyUKFan
You need to read Cal's book, "It's All About the Players." and then you will know why I say what I do. I don't dislike Cal, I just think he is more about getting the players to the NBA, then winning Championships. Three other teams have won two NC while he has been here, with less talent, but better coaching.

I have it. Listen no doubt one of his primary goals is getting guys to the NBA but the two goals are intertwined IMO and always have been. The mere fact that most of the times we have several players drafted, it's come after seasons such as 2010, 2012 and 2015.

Cal getting top classes isn’t all that imo. Much of that ranking is based on perceived NBA potential not readiness for the college game.

Cal recruits length/athleticism. Loves big guards. Despises quickness and shooting in relation.

Cal’s teams are almost always out quicked overall.

Doesn’t recruit players or pieces that fit together. Just get the most stars regardless. Has worked some but not recently. He doesn’t have a guy on this team that can get a bucket when needed.

Late threes by Wallace against Michigan and Toppin against LSU might be the difference 10-5 and 8-7.

With Oscar though he just gets the ball and the D comes 3 deep and had his ass surrounded today. He was even throwing elbows once and can't believe he didn't get called for that but he got stripped on that possession. Alabama's defense in the 2nd half especially was nice.

Somebody gotta be showing Oscar how to react to that D though. If 3 is on you then 2 is open but ya gotta react quick. They took Oscar away. If someone could just hit a timely 3 today then Oscar wouldnt have looked as bad. He still wouldn't have looked great either. But everything in this game looked like shit.

Someone NBA team will take him because all he needs his a lot of work on spotting where to kick it out to. Gotta b able to pass out of that shit before teams get a chance to strip you or steal it. To me Oscar looks much slower this year. It may be from the surgery or maybe it's just me but he doesn't look as mobile or fit but the hustle is there at times but he needs be in better condition at this point if he playing 40 mins. in the year but when his back actually to the basket as soon as he catches and gets turned they're all over his ass. It's like he doesn't recognize or feel it but he gotta feel that and know how to react. Open man gotta be calling for kickout.

We played with Bama for 19:30 and it went from 4pt lead to an 11 pt. lead quick and right before halftime. Most meaningless score in basketball should b halftime but if we could've kept em at 4 or 7 do we still get beat by 26 or do we play them closer? We look like shit even when playing them close but I think chemistry on this team is terrible. Something feels off.

Reactions: westerncat
Cal getting top classes isn’t all that imo. Much of that ranking is based on perceived NBA potential not readiness for the college game.

Cal recruits length/athleticism. Loves big guards. Despises quickness and shooting in relation.

Doesn’t recruit players or pieces that fit together. Just get the most stars regardless. Has worked some but not recently. He doesn’t have a guy on this team that can get a bucket when needed.

Late threes by Wallace against Michigan and Toppin against LSU might be the difference 10-5 and 8-7.

The bold is the key thing there.
There's no one on this team to knock down a big bucket when we need one.

You think about our tournament success under Cal and you had guys like Brandon Knight or Harrison knock down big shot after big shot to lead us to final fours. Who is that on this team? Maybe someone steps up but there's no one that does that now.

Did he change, or is it that he has failed to change?

Don’t forget Yale not having their top player. That really could’ve been a loss had that guy not been out with an injury.

I have it. Listen no doubt one of his primary goals is getting guys to the NBA but the two goals are intertwined IMO and always have been. The mere fact that most of the times we have several players drafted, it's come after seasons such as 2010, 2012 and 2015.
I don't think they are intertwined as much as your making out. How about Bennett at Virginia. He is more interested in winning a Championship. One question I have, "Is the NBA paying Cal's salary?" When a coach tells a players who is a Freshman, "You will have to convince me why you should not go to the NBA." A degree is something that can never be taken away, but ask some players who went to millions if money can.

ADVERTISEMENT