ADVERTISEMENT

Made a bet with a Georgia fan …

Blue63Madison

All-American
May 21, 2002
Savannah, GA
I lived most of my life in Lexington and Versailles, before moving to South Georgia in 2014. People down here know only one sport — football. So I’m surrounded by football talk 365 days a year … specifically UGA football. They assume UK is still a basketball only school, despite the meteoric rise we’ve been on since Stoops took over. So the bet with one of my Dawg fans is … $50 if UK wins more than 6 games, and $100 if UK wins more than 8 games. Obviously I’m going to win both bets, but the point of my post is to show how ignorant the rest of the conference is about Kentucky football!

I lived most of my life in Lexington and Versailles, before moving to South Georgia in 2014. People down here know only one sport — football. So I’m surrounded by football talk 365 days a year … specifically UGA football. They assume UK is still a basketball only school, despite the meteoric rise we’ve been on since Stoops took over. So the bet with one of my Dawg fans is … $50 if UK wins more than 6 games, and $100 if UK wins more than 8 games. Obviously I’m going to win both bets, but the point of my post is to show how ignorant the rest of the conference is about Kentucky football!
Bad move. You shouldn't get to close or you'll get Creened

BUQzLAe.png

And ignirant on betting. Do you not have to pay 100$ if we dont win 8 games?

Reactions: CB3UK
Where are you in S Georgia. I'm here as well. No matter what UK does, the UGA fans seem to ignore us. That said, I rarely see a real passion for UGA football here. They all root for UGA but they don't get too bent about losing. Your Dawg friend likes wasting money.

When you look at it through a Georgian's eye; 8 wins from a team with a losing record last year. It does sound like a pretty safe bet. When you look closely at the talent UK has this year and their schedule, yes 8 wins seems a little under. I think you made a very safe bet.

So what happens if you lose the bet? I'm confused on this bet.

SOUNDS like you only lose IF UK wins less than 6 games ? If not, how is the bet fair to both sides ? Is 7 wins a push ? You win the 6, lose the 8 win bet ? If the 8 win more like a bonus win bet for UK for "over achieving"?

For what it is worth, IMO 8 wins is NOT a "very safe" bet. if will take a couple upsets and winning ALL 50/50 games. You did not post that, but someone did like 8 wins is a lock. I did predict 8-4, but I will not say I am 90-100% sure of it. 7-5 is the floor, 9-3 is the ceiling, IMO. Of course all of this is barring major injuries, especially to Levis. he goes down, all bets / predictions are off. Mizzou, UT, @ SC (1st road game),, @ Louisville, and @ Miss. State are toss ups.

SOUNDS like you only lose IF UK wins less than 6 games ? If not, how is the bet fair to both sides ? Is 7 wins a push ? You win the 6, lose the 8 win bet ? If the 8 win more like a bonus win bet for UK for "over achieving"?

For what it is worth, IMO 8 wins is NOT a "very safe" bet. if will take a couple upsets and winning ALL 50/50 games. You did not post that, but someone did like 8 wins is a lock. I did predict 8-4, but I will not say I am 90-100% sure of it. 7-5 is the floor, 9-3 is the ceiling, IMO. Of course all of this is barring major injuries, especially to Levis. he goes down, all bets / predictions are off. Mizzou, UT, @ SC (1st road game),, @ Louisville, and @ Miss. State are toss ups.
8 wins won’t take any upsets. UK will be favored in 8 or 9 games. I’d bet the over on favored in 8 right now. You are right about the injuries though. Things could change dramatically for a number of teams. That’s an added risk when betting futures.

I am an amateur gambler, but don't quite understand the original bet myself. Over 7 in the regular season is not a lock, by any means. Hell, Tennessee, Missouri and South Carolina are looking at UK as a possible, or even probable win. Much less Florida, LSU and Georgia, who think we are 90% likely win.

I am an amateur gambler, but don't quite understand the original bet myself. Over 7 in the regular season is not a lock, by any means. Hell, Tennessee, Missouri and South Carolina are looking at UK as a possible, or even probable win. Much less Florida, LSU and Georgia, who think we are 90% likely win.

Going to be some fanbases in for a surprise. UF, UK, UGA, Missouri are all expecting 10+ wins, UFC North feel their floor is 8, Carolina is expecting a bowl. I don't know about Vandy.

But that will put the as a whole at about 66-18 for the year with Vandy and Carolina providing 14 of the losses.

If we lose to Tennessee or South Carolina we’ve had a BAD season.

Reactions: THE_OAK and Chum83

I think we sweep the conference home games. I know that sounds crazy but I’m not expecting much from LSU this year. I think folks are still giving them too much credit from the title a couple years ago. We seem to always show up for Florida (minus once or twice) since Stoops has been here. UT is gonna be hot garbage IMO. Getting Mizzou week two favors us tremendously IMO. The away games are the tossups. Georgia is gonna be tough as always. Somehow we always manage to stink it up in Starkville. Stoops seems to have USCjr number. I think we win 1/3 in those games. I swear it wouldn’t surprise me to win 10 again this year. I think we’re gonna surprise a lot of folks and finish the year ranked in the top 15 and play a great bowl game for the efforts.

Now I don't understand? How can we be ready to challenge Georgia for the division on one hand and on the other hand worried about winning 8 games this season? It seems like a very safe bet to me.

Reactions: Blue63Madison
The original bet was over/under 6.5. That’s a lock. I upped it to 8.5 for $100. I can only lose the original $50. I can win $150. He set the terms. I agreed to them.
So if we win 8 you lose 50 bucks if we win 9 you win 150, is that what you're saying?

So if we win 8 you lose 50 bucks if we win 9 you win 150, is that what you're saying?
I believe if we win 8 he wins $50. We win 9 he wins another $100. If we don’t win 7 then he loses $50.. the other guy is the only one that can lose $150

Reactions: Blue63Madison
Got it now. If we win 7, he wins $50 (over 6 games), if we win 8 he wins the same $50. If we win 9, he wins the over 6 and over 8 $150 total. Only question is this, the original post said UK winning OVER 6 games. IF UK ends up winning 6 on the nose, push or loss ? Also, does bowl game count ? If so, no push for 6 is possible.

8 wins won’t take any upsets. UK will be favored in 8 or 9 games. I’d bet the over on favored in 8 right now. You are right about the injuries though. Things could change dramatically for a number of teams. That’s an added risk when betting futures.
Do have you see fit. I believe we will be very good this year. I even predicted 8-4. BUT, I am not going to do it to myself and have too high of expectations. We need to consistently do it for a few more years. I will not got there and say any 50/50 road game is a LOCK.

UL Monroe - Lock (pretty much) favored
Mizzou - I predict a win, no way a LOCK. The QB they have will give them a chance. Ranked 34 UK 35 Not a lock. Will be favored, but less than TD Guessing 4 to 6.
UT Chat. - Lock - heavy favorite
@ SC. - 1st road game, but we will win unless they totally sleepwalk. Small favorite, I would guess TD or so. Vegas will not make UK a road DD favorite until the prove to them. may not be favored.
Florida / LSU - will be underdogs in both. Small, but underdogs. MAYBE a pick against LSU
Georgia - UGH. DD dog, maybe 20+ Only sure loss on schedule.
@ Miss State - underdog. No way we will be road favorites. They have a really nice QB and he will be even better. Solid RB's and the WR group is good and coming back. O-line is solid and mostly last year starters. Defense they have the best CB duo in the SEC, their leading tackler a LB is back, good up front. They will be a tough game especially OTR with those Cowbells.
UT - favored. My guess 7-10.
Vandy / NM State - solid to big favorites.
@Louisville - should be a TD or so favorite, BUT NOT a LOCK. I do not care what the records or experts say.

For sure favorites in 7 games, underdogs in 4. @ Miss. State and even @ SC we could end up being dogs in both, so maybe only favored in 6 games. So to say 8 wins is a LOCK, I do not get it. Remember, LOCK means no chance of failure or not happening, 100% sure thing. It is not, which is why the people who get paid money and win BIG money, say different. They would not set our total at 6 / 6.5 if 8 was a lock. Vegas got all those nice building because they know WTF they are doing. Losing is not something they do.

Save these post and lets come back and discuss it as the season progresses. It will be a very good topic of discussions throughout the year between optimist(you) and slightly pessimist(me) fans.
Peace.

Reactions: Chum83
Do have you see fit. I believe we will be very good this year. I even predicted 8-4. BUT, I am not going to do it to myself and have too high of expectations. We need to consistently do it for a few more years. I will not got there and say any 50/50 road game is a LOCK.

UL Monroe - Lock (pretty much) favored
Mizzou - I predict a win, no way a LOCK. The QB they have will give them a chance. Ranked 34 UK 35 Not a lock. Will be favored, but less than TD Guessing 4 to 6.
UT Chat. - Lock - heavy favorite
@ SC. - 1st road game, but we will win unless they totally sleepwalk. Small favorite, I would guess TD or so. Vegas will not make UK a road DD favorite until the prove to them. may not be favored.
Florida / LSU - will be underdogs in both. Small, but underdogs. MAYBE a pick against LSU
Georgia - UGH. DD dog, maybe 20+ Only sure loss on schedule.
@ Miss State - underdog. No way we will be road favorites. They have a really nice QB and he will be even better. Solid RB's and the WR group is good and coming back. O-line is solid and mostly last year starters. Defense they have the best CB duo in the SEC, their leading tackler a LB is back, good up front. They will be a tough game especially OTR with those Cowbells.
UT - favored. My guess 7-10.
Vandy / NM State - solid to big favorites.
@Louisville - should be a TD or so favorite, BUT NOT a LOCK. I do not care what the records or experts say.

For sure favorites in 7 games, underdogs in 4. @ Miss. State and even @ SC we could end up being dogs in both, so maybe only favored in 6 games. So to say 8 wins is a LOCK, I do not get it. Remember, LOCK means no chance of failure or not happening, 100% sure thing. It is not, which is why the people who get paid money and win BIG money, say different. They would not set our total at 6 / 6.5 if 8 was a lock. Vegas got all those nice building because they know WTF they are doing. Losing is not something they do.

Save these post and lets come back and discuss it as the season progresses. It will be a very good topic of discussions throughout the year between optimist(you) and slightly pessimist(me) fans.
Peace.
Agreed, it’ll be interesting to revisit. I wasn’t saying any are locks. I wasn’t even predicting wins. Just predicting how many games we’ll be favored in. That doesn’t mean we can’t lose ones we’re favored in (like Missouri, for example)…but I guess I’ll agree with you that’s an optimistic view considering later lines will depend on wins & losses earlier in the year.

Savannah Georgia is absolutely one of the best places on the planet. Would move there in a heartbeat!!

Off topic but it's interesting you call Savannah south Georgia. I lived in Tifton for several years and everyone around there called Savannah east Georgia.

Vegas has the line at 7 wins so 8 isn’t a “lock.” I bet on the over given the schedule and feel comfortable with it. We should have 6 wins just by walking off the bus unless we get ravaged with injuries like the year before last.

ADVERTISEMENT