ADVERTISEMENT

Lynn Bowden at #10

"Maybe you haven't heard too much about Kentucky do-it-all junior superstar Lynn Bowden Jr. because he plays for a mediocre team." Great first thing to read

"Maybe you haven't heard too much about Kentucky do-it-all junior superstar Lynn Bowden Jr. because he plays for a mediocre team." Great first thing to read
---
Well, it is Bleacher Report......And it's all positives after the opening line.

Spica Orbit

Bowden won’t base his decision on Bleacher Report. He will talk with sharp, connected consultants who know what NFL executives are thinking. If Bowden believes he will be taken in the first two rounds of this draft, he is gone. But if he isn’t hearing that kind of a rosy projection, then he needs to come back to UK for his own good. Whether he would actually do that, nobody knows at this point. But I cannot see how NFL executives can think they have had an opportunity to evaluate him as a receiver this year. Of course, it only takes one NFL team.

Bowden won’t base his decision on Bleacher Report. He will talk with sharp, connected consultants who know what NFL executives are thinking. If Bowden believes he will be taken in the first two rounds of this draft, he is gone. But if he isn’t hearing that kind of a rosy projection, then he needs to come back to UK for his own good. Whether he would actually do that, nobody knows at this point. But I cannot see how NFL executives can think they have had an opportunity to evaluate him as a receiver this year. Of course, it only takes one NFL team.
I agree but I would extend that draft round "limit" to third round (LOTs of WR prospects this year). And I don't think there s much question that is his position. Great all round talent but I think the pros are pretty "position specific" and his position in the pros is WR (and maybe kick return).

Coming into this year I don't think there was any doubt he simply needed to solidify himself in that deep WR pool. Didn't happen and even if he stays at UK I'm not sure it is a sure fire bet he plays WR next year. "Expected" QB coming off a bad knee injury and zero experience with all others but Smith.

Peace

Reactions: jauk11
If Bowden feels confident he will be drafted in the first 4 rounds, he should enter the draft. I get the impression that Stoops has advised Lynn to go early.

Stoops is like that. Players first. He knows that is best for the program in the long run, just like telling Allen and the others to return when SOME of our posters were giving him hell for not having any draft choices, and you know who you are.

His 40 time will determine which round he is drafted. If it is 4.4, he is most definitely a 1st or 2nd rounder. If it is 4.5 or higher, he could go anywhere from last of the 3rd to 5th.

His 40 time will determine which round he is drafted. If it is 4.4, he is most definitely a 1st or 2nd rounder. If it is 4.5 or higher, he could go anywhere from last of the 3rd to 5th.
I don’t buy this simplistic narrative. Plenty of 4.4 football players don’t get drafted at all. Jerry Rice, a first round draft choice and one of the best NFL receivers ever, ran 4.7.

Last edited:
Reactions: jauk11
Plenty of 4.4 football players don’t get drafted at all.[/`

And quite a few of them do. The rewards are crazy if you can make it, but some waste a life pursuing their dream. Who knows for sure unless you try. Unitas was playing sandlot ball in Pittsburg when they found him. I'm sure football coaches aren't shy about telling MOST players they aren't ever going to make it.

I would have played for nothing, I started several flag football leagues and was still playing that into my forties. Flag is a great game, by the way. I never had any aspirations to play ball to get paid, just an unattainable dream for almost everyone.

Reactions: spartacat
And quite a few of them do. The rewards are crazy if you can make it, but some waste a life pursuing their dream. Who knows for sure unless you try. Unitas was playing sandlot ball in Pittsburg when they found him. I'm sure football coaches aren't shy about telling MOST players they aren't ever going to make it.

I would have played for nothing, I started several flag football leagues and was still playing that into my forties. Flag is a great game, by the way. I never had any aspirations to play ball to get paid, just an unattainable dream for almost everyone.
You may have missed the point of the discussion again.

You may have missed the point of the discussion again.

Not nearly as relevant as you missing the tremendous progress UK football has made------again; All since the strike and the loss of over 15,000 season ticket holders. And that isn't even mentioning Stoops and his great plan, AND assembling a great team of assistants, a great recruiter the first step.

I'm not sure what you find wrong with my post, you said one of the best ever ran a 4.7, I said Unitas was found playing sandlot ball, you said running a 4.4 doesn't give you a spot, necessarily, I agree, but then Bullet Bob Hayes never played football until he set the world record in the 100 yard dash and he played in the NFL..

Gotta go, have fun.

I don’t buy this simplistic narrative. Plenty of 4.4 football players don’t get drafted at all. Jerry Rice, a first round draft choice and one of the best NFL receivers ever, ran 4.7.

In todays age of metrics, Lynn is high in every aspect of the game of football. His forty time would make the difference in how NFL teams view him. With a good 40, he is a lock for the 1st or early 2nd at the latest.

He is strong, competitive, a great team mate, a winner and willing to do whatever the coach asks. If his 40 time is low, it will make it hard for a team needing his skill set to pass on him.

Last edited:
Here is something amazing about LBJr and this season, he has started at QB for 7 games ... and he is 20th NATIONALLY in Rushing Yards. In 7 games! At that per game average ... he would be leading the nation in rushing if he started QB all 12 games. #1!

In todays age of metrics, Lynn is high in every aspect of the game of football. His forty time would make the difference in how NFL teams view him. With a good 40, he is a lock for the 1st or early 2nd at the latest.

He is strong, competitive, a great team mate, a winner and willing to do whatever the coach asks. If his 40 time is low, it will make it hard for a team needing his skill set to pass on him.

40 time will be the key and I'm afraid it won't be great. He gets caught from behind regularly.

As a poster pointed out, this hurts in the NFL draft because they're high on measurables. It's a different era than when rice etc was drafted. At the same time all it takes is a team willing to look beyond measurables (like the Steelers with Benny last year).

Reactions: catben

I don’t understand your line of thinking for Bowden to go only if he’s a 1st or second rounder. If he’s a 4th rounder he’s gone.

Also 40 speeds only tell part of the story. Bowden is elusive, gets separation on routes and is very physical. The guy he has been most compared to Julian Edelman runs a 4.52 but like Bowden his first two steps are very quick. If you can beat a guy in two or 3 steps then run over the rest and get stronger as the game goes on well there aren’t a lot of guys like that and they are at a premium.

ADVERTISEMENT