ADVERTISEMENT

Lunardi's bracket as of today

ukfan79

All-American
Apr 15, 2007
I'd take this bracket in a heartbeat if we can be healthy come March.

Potentially the Hoosiers in the second round? Yes please.

Really good, but always post season under achieving Virginia OR Tubby in the Sweet 16 IN Louisville? Yes please.

West Virginia or Xaiver most likely in the Elite 8, again in Louisville? Yes please.

Having said that, Stony Brook would be a really tough 13 seed in the first round....no kidding.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Kentucky is not Duke. We don't get to play in our own State all the time. I will be shocked that we get to play in Louisville.

Reactions: Blueaz
I don't care what UK's seed is or who's in their bracket as long as they get placed in the Louisville regional.

Jason, I've always felt you were one of the more objective posters: so what do you think think the chances of us being in Louisville are. I'm honestly asking, not trying to be a wise@$$.

Last edited:
I don't think they're very good at this point. Feel like it'll only happen if UK can snag a 3 seed or better. 4 or less and I think they get shipped somewhere else.

I think we're firmly in the mix for a 3.

RPI has us at 12 via ESPN and Warren Nolan.
KenPom has us at #9

I think Saturday helps us as far as the eye-test, however much that weighs. I think the early season struggles, late season surge SHOULD help us when it comes to seeding. I actually thought we were pushing our way into the 2 seed talk before the loss Saturday.

Just do not see KY getting put in the South as a 4. Hopefully they can move up to a 3, which would be more realistic to be placed in the South.

So hard to know where we end up with seeding. I think if we win every game moving forward, including the SEC tourney we could work our way to a 2 seed with a little help from some of these other teams losing. But, with the injuries we have and some road games, we could also lose several more and drop to a 5 or 6 seed.

So hard to know where we end up with seeding. I think if we win every game moving forward, including the SEC tourney we could work our way to a 2 seed with a little help from some of these other teams losing. But, with the injuries we have and some road games, we could also lose several more and drop to a 5 or 6 seed.

To me, the problem is--we again need help.

We needed help, and everyone lost. And then we lost. To overtake teams ahead of you for seeding--you need them to falter, and for you to continue to win. They lost, we lost. There may not be enough calendar left to make up ground.

I think we're firmly in the mix for a 3.

RPI has us at 12 via ESPN and Warren Nolan.
KenPom has us at #9

I think Saturday helps us as far as the eye-test, however much that weighs. I think the early season struggles, late season surge SHOULD help us when it comes to seeding. I actually thought we were pushing our way into the 2 seed talk before the loss Saturday.

It's bizarre.

We are a 3 according to Kenpom, RPI, and Sagarin. That despite us being beaten up and playing short-handed.

Yet everyone seems to want to make us a 4.

I think it has more to do with teams like Maryland, Iowa, Miami, Oregon, and West Virginia getting more love than they probably deserve.

There is some sense that these teams are locked in as twos and threes and need to be supplanted. I don't think this is true, or it least shouldn't be.

I mean, when all the key metrics say we are a top 12 team, why is there this overriding feeling that we have to prove more to be a 3 seed? Top 12 teams are supposed to be 3 seeds.

No doubt we have to keep winning, but we are being undervalued at the moment.

Reactions: Blueaz
It's bizarre.

We are a 3 according to Kenpom, RPI, and Sagarin. That despite us being beaten up and playing short-handed.

Yet everyone seems to want to make us a 4.

I think it has more to do with teams like Maryland, Iowa, Miami, Oregon, and West Virginia getting more love than they probably deserve.

There is some sense that these teams are locked in as twos and threes and need to be supplanted. I don't think this is true, or it least shouldn't be.

I mean, when all the key metrics say we are a top 12 team, why is there this overriding feeling that we have to prove more to be a 3 seed? Top 12 teams are supposed to be 3 seeds.

No doubt we have to keep winning, but we are being undervalued at the moment.

I agree that we should be a 3 at the moment. Yes we've won games. But we've looked drastically better of late. I'd love to be the 3 seed in Louisville. No one's going to want to be the 1 seed in that bracket with us being the 3.

I think that with some earlier losses--especially Auburn--we have to keep winning to surpass teams that are in the 2 seed area. I agree Oregon is overvalued, but they're really good by some metrics. If they don't falter, it's hard for us to jump them. If they do, we can't also lose.

Same with most of these teams. That said: Maryland and Iowa have looked really bad recently, and I think it's a tragedy if they wind up ahead of us.

I agree that we should be a 3 at the moment. Yes we've won games. But we've looked drastically better of late. I'd love to be the 3 seed in Louisville. No one's going to want to be the 1 seed in that bracket with us being the 3.

I think that with some earlier losses--especially Auburn--we have to keep winning to surpass teams that are in the 2 seed area. I agree Oregon is overvalued, but they're really good by some metrics. If they don't falter, it's hard for us to jump them. If they do, we can't also lose.

Same with most of these teams. That said: Maryland and Iowa have looked really bad recently, and I think it's a tragedy if they wind up ahead of us.

Yeah, I'm not really going to go through and debate teams one by one. You're right, most of those teams look good by some measure, and not so good by others.

I get that this is debatable. What rubs me the wrong way is that not only do we look like a top 10 team with our play of late, but the main metrics everyone looks at say we are a 3 seed. And still, most people are blowing us off.

Even BPI, which has been an outlier for us, has us as the first 4 seed now. They have us 15th, with ineligible UL and SMU in front of us.

They also have Duke as a 2 seed, which I'm not buying at all.

Those brackets tell me these teams would be in the FF.
Michigan State
Duke
KU
UK

I'm hoping for a 3, but the Cats will have to run the table for that. Regardless, their seed will be determined by these last four regular season games. We never (and IMHO I mean NEVER!!!) get the bump up from winning/doing well in the SECT.

I'm just hoping that come March playoffs we ARE healthy with Poy & Willis especially making a showing. Without them it can become a pretty short month I'm afraid regardless of region.

Yeah, at this point being healthy is a bigger concern than seeding. A 5 seed with Poythress and Willis healthy is much preferable to a 3 seed with one of them still out.

I'm picking Maryland to lose the first game no matter what seed. I've wanted to say they would be a Final 4 team all year but I just don't see it. They're a phony.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I can't keep this straight - are there any rules in play that will determine where we'll likely be sent (meaning that we'll get to play in Louisville)? Or are you guys just saying the further down the list we slide the less likely they'll let us stay that close to home?

I live 30 minutes from Stony Brook, I hope we don't play them I want to root for them against like Duke or somebody... But if we do go Cats!!!

I can't keep this straight - are there any rules in play that will determine where we'll likely be sent (meaning that we'll get to play in Louisville)? Or are you guys just saying the further down the list we slide the less likely they'll let us stay that close to home?

1 seeds get geography preference. This year, 2 seeds are back to the S-Curve. Then it's back to geography for the 3s and 4s.

That bracket makes an easy trip for the Cats to the Final 4. Virginia would be a tough match-up, but a winnable one, especially in Louisville.

Xavier and Indiana are a good laugh.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT