ADVERTISEMENT

*** Luke Fortner at Center ***

FernCreekCat67

Freshman
Gold Member
Jul 3, 2014
After Stoops and Kinnard's comments today, can we all agree Luke Fortner is going to start at Center this year? Still betting it will be Kinnard (LT), Horsey/Dotson (LG), Fortner (C), Flax (RG), and Rosenthal (RT).

After Stoops and Kinnard's comments today, can we all agree Luke Fortner is going to start at Center this year? Still betting it will be Kinnard (LT), Horsey/Dotson (LG), Fortner (C), Flax (RG), and Rosenthal (RT).
I said that would be the exact starting five once Rosenthal became official. Fortner moving to Center was a given IMO.

If this o line coach is building on what the last did, starting means little. Everybody will get snaps.
Schlarman was unique in the level of rotation he utilized at one point in his career, but even he was moving away from it in the end. I suspect only Dotson and Horsey will share snaps this year. Absent injury, Fortner, Kinnard and Rosenthal will play every snap except mop-up time. Dotson and Horsey will split 50/50... it will be interesting if Flax goes 100% or splits with someone in tandem with Dotson and Horsey. That would be a move Schlarman would consider. I suspect not, though, because they will be prepping Flax to be a full-time tackle in 2022.

Wilson struggled in spring practice... once they said they were "cross-training" Fortner at Center, the writing was on the wall... you don't cross-train a 6th year player unless you intend to move him there...
I heard they were cross training the center spot but I did not hear that Wilson was "struggling". I think they just want to avoid getting caught with their pants down at that spot. If whoever starts the year at center can't go for some reason they want to have a backup plan. It's also possible that they may just think Fortner brings a little more athleticism and experience and they would rather have him in there.

Reactions: Davae9
Wilson struggled in spring practice... once they said they were "cross-training" Fortner at Center, the writing was on the wall... you don't cross-train a 6th year player unless you intend to move him there...
Good way of looking at it

Smart move by staff IMO....and this staff has done a great job under Stoops at getting their best players on the field.

UK looks to have tons of experience and talent at all spots.....If Fortner can be somewhat as consistent as Drake was with snaps...I think you'll see this be a big hit for the squad.

Disappointed to hear about Wilson's snapping issues. But if that's happening you have to make the move. I have wondered about players adjusting to the new system. Everyone talks about the obvious that none of our QBs have experience under center but it's also true that none of our centers have experience with a QB being there. There will be adjustments made all around. Some will make the move more smoothly than others.

I thought Wilson had it tied up?!?

Hell, It’s all about competition: may the best man win!!

Hope we keep ‘em both the whole season.

I missed the quotes. What did Stoops and DK say?

Centers have some leadership roles as the position can see the defensive sets on both sides of the line. Physical requirements may be slightly less at C in terms of body size but more mental. A veteran in this role helps plus the strength Fortner brings on short yardage downs helps. Its a good move as the talent is there at other positions. For Fortner his NFL values is enhanced if he can show he can back up multiple positions. Him at C checks a box.

Reactions: satcheluk
Centers have some leadership roles as the position can see the defensive sets on both sides of the line. Physical requirements may be slightly less at C in terms of body size but more mental. A veteran in this role helps plus the strength Fortner brings on short yardage downs helps. Its a good move as the talent is there at other positions. For Fortner his NFL values is enhanced if he can show he can back up multiple positions. Him at C checks a box.
I agree with all this plus I’ll add your trading a 6”1 290 pound lineman for a 6”6 310 pound man. Then your trading out 6”6 310 at RG for a 6”6 335 pound monster in Flax. This makes the line more experienced and huge. I think having Flax at RG helps the athleticism of the line as well.

You DO if it helps his draft stock, which it most definitely does.

Talking about it at SEC Media Days is great pre-draft marketing for Fortner as it puts scouts on notice that he will not be one-dimensional. I think they learned from what has happened to UK OL players that were NOT cross-trained.

I'm not saying Fortner won't start at C. Just pointing out that this is necessary for him to boost his draft stock.

I heard they were cross training the center spot but I did not hear that Wilson was "struggling". I think they just want to avoid getting caught with their pants down at that spot. If whoever starts the year at center can't go for some reason they want to have a backup plan. It's also possible that they may just think Fortner brings a little more athleticism and experience and they would rather have him in there.
Coach Schlarman was a proponent of his offensive lineman being able to play more than one position on the line. He's the reason we're able to rotate fresh players. Remember when we had a complete second team offensive line at the end of a game, the commentators sure did. He, Coach Scharlman, set the standard, now we just need to continue that tradition. He's responsible for so much of the positive publicity that our team is still getting. There needs to be a AWARD named for him at our University.

Coach Schlarman was a proponent of his offensive lineman being able to play more than one position on the line. He's the reason we're able to rotate fresh players. Remember when we had a complete second team offensive line at the end of a game, the commentators sure did. He, Coach Scharlman, set the standard, now we just need to continue that tradition. He's responsible for so much of the positive publicity that our team is still getting. There needs to be a AWARD named for him at our University.
I've always liked the idea of subing out an entire line instead of individual players as the line has to work together as a unit. If the 2s practice together as a unit with the talent we have they can come in and get the job done when needed. In the past we didn't have the depth to do it.

Reactions: The-Hack
Just my opinion: The position Luke Fortner plays will be well maned! Really had not thought Luke at center but I like it!

He will not be playing center according to everything I have read. Someone on this site
Weird how that posts without hitting enter.

It was either on this site or 247 where the author said the coaches have been working out DK at guard to see if we are better with Rosentahll and Flax at the tackle positions. The commentary was the source said DK's future in the NFL is at guard, so maybe that would be beneficial to him. Better to be the best guard as opposed to the 5th best tackle from a draft perspective. Not my commentary, just reporting.

Reactions: Deeeefense
I believe the thing with DK is that he would have been drafted early in this draft. He came back exclusively to prove that he can play left tackle.

In the past we didn't have the depth to do it.

We went at least a decade playing our o-linemen in special green jerseys in the BW game each April: we barely had enough for a first-string many seasons, including Schlarman’s years as a player.

We pretty much have a pro size line. It would interesting knowing the average size for a pro size line compared to ours but know when looking at pro games on TV most lines look about the size of ours. Height, bulk and strength combined with great coaching, no wonder they are so successful year after year.

ADVERTISEMENT