ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville Getting Mocked for Uncaged Cardinal Helmet

Does it show a cardinal holding its bond or probation paperwork? The caption should be "can't do one more day".

They are awful, and their fans trying to defend it look incredibly stupid

"Yeah, but recruits & the team say they love it and they are all that really matter!!!"

oh yes? Guess that must mean they think your normal 99% of the time logo is an awful boring look then? Well, good luck!

WOW first I've seen that.

Maybe the worst helmet design ever, I actually feel bad for them having to wear that.

"Yeah, but recruits & the team say they love it and they are all that really matter!!!"

oh yes? Guess that must mean they think your normal 99% of the time logo is an awful boring look then? Well, good luck!

Like any ratbirds or their fans would be honest and say: "I'm embarrassed to be associated with this thing they call a helmet and logo and don't like being laughed at." Besides, Petrino would just take away one of their 25 "strikes" for run-ins with the law if they did that.

Angry grandma sweater comment was funny. I think most people agree those helmets are ridiculous and look like really mad chickens more than cardinals.

Louisville shouldn't even be in a game likenthis.. I hope they get thoroughly destroyed

I actually think they are pretty awesome but I can certainly see where some don't like it. That said, it's not surprising that our rival fanbase doesn't like it. In the end it's about the recruits and they love this stuff. Adidas has made us their main focus and are trying to make us similar to Oregon. It's worked well for them and I have little doubt it will work well for us. No matter, they always look really good when we win.

I actually think they are pretty awesome but I can certainly see where some don't like it. That said, it's not surprising that our rival fanbase doesn't like it. In the end it's about the recruits and they love this stuff. Adidas has made us their main focus and are trying to make us similar to Oregon. It's worked well for them and I have little doubt it will work well for us. No matter, they always look really good when we win.
[roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][jumpingsmile][jumpingsmile][jumpingsmile][jumpingsmile][jumpingsmile][jumpingsmile][jumpingsmile]

:uzi:[roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll]

Reactions: BrowDown23

I can't believe you truly believe all you are saying in this post. Fan or rival, those helmets are just plain hideous. Nothing in it could possibly appeal to a recruit and looks like an enlarged photo of an angry chicken, doesn't even look like a Cardinal (which I believe is a beautiful bird despite my dislike of UL). You are way off base, too, on the comparison between UO and UL, that's just plain funny.

Go home you're drunk

Count me as a UK fan that absolutely loves the new look of the UL uniforms. I totally get why some may not like it, because it is not "traditional." I remember a lot of UK fans bemoaning the silver helmets UK used last year. Of course I loved them too. Addidas is going all out for UL and the recruits love that stuff. Does everyone remember how excited our guys were when they unveiled the black uniforms. Traditionalists be damned (unless you are an Alabama or Ohio State or Michigan team).

I think it would be awesome if we could get a little more creative on our uniforms too. Rebranding Kentucky Football in a new, futuristic way could go a long way.

Here is the two helmets for UL that I could find:

0ap3000000498887.jpg

And here is our awesome silver helmet:

usp_ncaa_football__south_carolina_at_kentucky_67789046.jpg

Reactions: ram1955
Was trying to post a pic of the back of the helmet...sorry couldn't get it to post.....it is horrible.

I really feel bad they have to wear that, AU players will confused trying to figure out what the hell it is.

I can't believe you truly believe all you are saying in this post. Fan or rival, those helmets are just plain hideous. Nothing in it could possibly appeal to a recruit and looks like an enlarged photo of an angry chicken, doesn't even look like a Cardinal (which I believe is a beautiful bird despite my dislike of UL). You are way off base, too, on the comparison between UO and UL, that's just plain funny.

In defense of the UL poster, he is correct. See the following article (and there are others) that state Addidas is trying to make UL it's "Oregon." http://collegespun.com/national/cou...uniforms-money-exposure-to-cardinals-football

Count me as a UK fan that absolutely loves the new look of the UL uniforms. I totally get why some may not like it, because it is not "traditional." I remember a lot of UK fans bemoaning the silver helmets UK used last year. Of course I loved them too. Addidas is going all out for UL and the recruits love that stuff. Does everyone remember how excited our guys were when they unveiled the black uniforms. Traditionalists be damned (unless you are an Alabama or Ohio State or Michigan team).

I think it would be awesome if we could get a little more creative on our uniforms too. Rebranding Kentucky Football in a new, futuristic way could go a long way.

0ap3000000498887.jpg

You do know that UK has more uniform combos then any school in the Country?

You do know that UK has more uniform combos then any school in the Country?

It is one thing to have different combinations of the same thing; and it is something completely different to have Oregonesque uniforms with eye popping designs and shiny helmets. I still think we have room for LOTS of improvement in that category.

It is one thing to have different combinations of the same thing; and it is something completely different to have Oregonesque uniforms with eye popping designs and shiny helmets. I still think we have room for LOTS of improvement in that category.
I want nothing like the crap UL has.

0ap3000000498887.jpg

The helmet on the left isn't that bad but the one one the right looks like an arena football league helmet. The Radioactive Cardinals

The helmet on the left isn't that bad but the one one the right looks like an arena football league helmet. The Radioactive Cardinals

I think they are the same helmet.....just different sides. Another words, the angry chicken isn't on both sides......

This is the guy who thought Oregon was the Beavers. It's the Ducks....... the Ducks.

Adidas = Yugo
Nike = Mercedes

The public likes what Nike does with the Ducks and laughs at your cardinal chicken helmet. That's not quite the same.

Reactions: Dallas-Wild

Too bad Adidas is a dying breed in college athletics. Pretty soon, if not now, it's very possible that Louisville will be the premier school for Adidas. Depends how many of the remaining Adidas schools convert to Nike or UA.
Of the 128 FBS schools, only 28 of them use Adidas apparel. Of those, only 11 are Power 5 schools. Conversely, of the 128 FBS schools, 80 use Nike apparel. Of those, 45 are Power 5 schools.
Of the top 25 athletics programs in the country (per the Capital One Cup standings), of those top 25, 20 of them are Nike sponsored/licensed. The five programs that were in the top 25 that were not Nike were Denver, Notre Dame, UCLA, Wisconsin, and Texas A&M. Of those, only UCLA, Wisconsin, and Texas A&M are Adidas schools.
Nike not only holds contracts over the majority of college sports, but they hold an overwhelming majority of the contracts over elite athletics departments, and that's bad news for Adidas.

Will also echo the sentiment of the vast majority here. Oregon's uniforms are visually appealing. These look terrible, like arena football uniforms. A mutant Cardinal on a football helmet. [laughing]

Reactions: CATFANFOLIFE87
And it's another when the eye-popping is due to just how awful the uniform looks. That's where UofL is at this point.

Maybe the worst helmet design ever, I actually feel bad for them having to wear that.

Actually got a chuckle out of that:smiley:

College Spun ‏@CollegeSpun 18m18 minutes ago
Louisville Getting Mocked For “Uncaged” Cardinal Helmet http://collegespun.com/acc/louisville-big-east/louisville-getting-mocked-for-uncaged-cardinal-helmet…

That is different, but I doubt Louisville had very much if any input into the design of the logo. It's by the team sponsor, in this case Adidas I think who just wanted to put something out there to draw attention to it, screw the traditionalist. It has people talking. Personally I think just having a songbird for a mascot is much more degrading than that helmet. Certainly, Eagle, Falcon or even an owl, but a redbird for a sports mascot, someone had a real sense of humor.

Reactions: pikespeak1

Actually, most of the fan base isn't on board with the helmet design.

ADVERTISEMENT