ADVERTISEMENT

Lots of good to great programs having bad years

Jan 27, 2023
Looking around Div 1, there are more than a few traditionally competitive programs that are dropping the ball this year

Oregon, Stanford, Notre Dame, Florida St, Oklahoma, West Virginia might not be national championship contenders but they usually run out a good product. Not so much now

Syracuse, Duke, UNC, Michigan State, Ohio St, Villanova are all just treading water (if that)

Locally Murray St, Western, Cincinnati all riding the struggle bus

PS…Kentucky is clearly not the only program that might be in the market for that next great up and coming coach

Random PS: why isn’t Hawaii good at sports? I mean if I were 18 and I had the option to go to Hawaii or to say Iowa or Boise St, I’d pick Hawaii. Then again I probably wouldn’t feel like working hard when I got there.

Last edited:
Not sure I’d include Stanford. Had a few good years but that’s about it. Usually a doormat

Looking around Div 1, there are more than a few traditionally competitive programs that are dropping the ball this year

Oregon, Stanford, Notre Dame, Florida St, Oklahoma, West Virginia might not be national championship contenders but they usually run out a good product. Not so much now

Syracuse, Duke, UNC, Michigan State, Ohio St, Villanova are all just treading water (if that)

PS…Kentucky is clearly not the only program that might be in the market for that next great up and coming coach

Random PS: why isn’t Hawaii good at sports? I mean if I were 18 and I had the option to go to Hawaii or to say Iowa or Boise St, I’d pick Hawaii. Then again I probably wouldn’t feel like working hard when I got there.
Commercial decision. If you play in Hawaii, you're 5 hours later than the east coast prime networks.

Not sure I’d include Stanford. Had a few good years but that’s about it. Usually a doormat
That may be. I might have started investing more interest in college basketball around the time Stanford was making a name for itself. When Stanford fell off I remember the conversation being something like, “this once proud program…yadda, yadda.” Toss Butler or Wisconsin or BYU or long dead UNLV into that spot for the sake of optics.

True, but Kentucky has had multiple seasons that are not good. Going 4/17 against top 25 teams. Not having a tournament win in nearly 4 years. That’s why people are frustrated and on edge.

ADVERTISEMENT