ADVERTISEMENT

Lost my best friend todayHe

MrHotDice

All-American
Nov 1, 2002
I had to put my best friend down today. Eddie Boy, my beloved Jack Russell Terrier, was 14 and had advanced cancer in his hips and lungs. I bought him at the Paintsville Stock Yard when he was 5 weeks old and since then he has been such a big part of my life. My wife who died from cancer years ago loved him so much. I’m sure they are together now because all dogs go to heaven.

Eddies love and unconditional loyalty is what makes owning a dog so great but also is why it hurts so much when the time comes to end their pain. Here in Taiwan he was a legend. He never meet a stranger, loved kids, and never run from a fight. They cremate dogs here And since my wife and daughter and I will be moving back to Paintsville I will be bringing him home. As a side note, he and I would watched UK basketball when I lived in Nevada. He would sit beside me and bark at the screen whenever UK scored.

He will be so missed.

So sorry for your loss, Bro. Your profile picture of your dog is one of my earliest memories from Rafters. I’m sure he was a special guy. He brought me some joy just with the love of life he exuded in that picture, especially since it was tough times for me when I first started coming here. I’m sure he’s done the same for a lot more people you’ve never even heard of. Cling to Jesus, my friend. A lot of special reunions coming.

Really appreciate all your kind words. I have a friend who always said the worst thing about dogs is they don’t live as long as us. Eddie was the perfect dog. He only barked when he wanted something, and would wait patiently at home waiting for my return.

I’ve had many dogs in my life but without a doubt, Eddie was the smartest with the most loving personality.

Again, I hope everyone who has a dog remembers that they are alive to give you unconditional love.
2 years ago yesterday I lost my Beagle Tina who had been in my family for 15 years. She was the first animal that was truly mine ( and I was hers) and she was always by my side so I know how you feel.

:cry:I'm sorry to hear about Eddie Boy MrHotDice. This is never an easy time. Dogs are not here very long but just long enough to become apart of our lives and know you have to live so much longer without them being here hurts the most. Dogs are more lovable than the cruel people of this world.

My wife and I moved in together in Oct of 2006.
We got a rescue dog named Teddy. He was a baby pit/lab mix. The shelter loved him and was sad to see him go.
Fast forward to last week and we found out he has cancer in lungs. We sort of just thought he would be around forever, then reality set in.
We have made a bucket list for this old boy.
Beach, ice cream cones, etc.
Our boys are 6 and 3 and have only known life with teddy.
Not looking forward to that day.

I had to put my best friend down today. Eddie Boy, my beloved Jack Russell Terrier, was 14 and had advanced cancer in his hips and lungs. I bought him at the Paintsville Stock Yard when he was 5 weeks old and since then he has been such a big part of my life. My wife who died from cancer years ago loved him so much. I’m sure they are together now because all dogs go to heaven.

Eddies love and unconditional loyalty is what makes owning a dog so great but also is why it hurts so much when the time comes to end their pain. Here in Taiwan he was a legend. He never meet a stranger, loved kids, and never run from a fight. They cremate dogs here And since my wife and daughter and I will be moving back to Paintsville I will be bringing him home. As a side note, he and I would watched UK basketball when I lived in Nevada. He would sit beside me and bark at the screen whenever UK scored.

He will be so missed.
Sorry brother.

Reactions: dvillecatfan
We got a rescue dog named Teddy. He was a baby pit/lab mix. The shelter loved him and was sad to see him go.
Fast forward to last week and we found out he has cancer in lungs. We sort of just thought he would be around forever, then reality set in.

Wow. Love the bucket list idea for him. Teddy sounds like he is really loved. He knows it too

Same with my daughter, she is 12 and was Eddies love. She has not stopped crying and I’m not ashamed to say neither have I. Just make sure you all keep your smell around him because dogs get comfort from this. I took Eddie to the vet wrapped in my T-shirt and was with him when he died but the last thing he saw was me and my daughter and the last thing he smelled was our love wrapped around him. Was their when my father died and my mother died but this was harder than anything I have ever done. You always question yourself but Eddie was suffering so and had lost one lung already.

I told my daughter we were just doing away any pain and sending him to heaven but it’s still the hardest decision I have ever made.

Just love and spoil them to the end because they love you.

Very sorry to hear about your loss. Our family dog growing up was a Jack Russell terrier who lived till 18 years old and when he passed, it was hard for everyone and I swore I'd never get attached to another pet again but... I now have two dogs of my own many years later, a shitzu and a terrier mix who've I have become very attached to. Worth every minute of their company.

Same with my daughter, she is 12 and was Eddies love. She has not stopped crying and I’m not ashamed to say neither have I. Just make sure you all keep your smell around him because dogs get comfort from this. I took Eddie to the vet wrapped in my T-shirt and was with him when he died but the last thing he saw was me and my daughter and the last thing he smelled was our love wrapped around him. Was their when my father died and my mother died but this was harder than anything I have ever done. You always question yourself but Eddie was suffering so and had lost one lung already.

I told my daughter we were just doing away any pain and sending him to heaven but it’s still the hardest decision I have ever made.

Just love and spoil them to the end because they love you.

Thank you for passing that along.
My heart goes out to you and your daughter. No one wants to have to make that decision.
We just have to pay extra attention to him and hopefully he will also let us know when the time is right.
I am fortunate to be able to take
Him to my office and he has loved going in with me to hang this last week.
He is such a loving dog. All my co-workers want to take him home.
It really is crazy the bond that is formed with pets, especially dogs.
They teach us so much about life, and how to love.

I had a dog when I was a kid. I was like 8 or 9 when he died. It took me TWENTY years to get another one. I love her to death. And I dread the day when I have to let her go. She’s 7 now. This is my first dog that I’ve raised from a puppy. Ugh. I’m not looking forward to it at all.

Dogs are family. Cats (both UK and otherwise) are as well. Any pet becomes a part of our lives and it hurts to have something you cared for die. I hate when my fish pass. Granted, no dog, and I don’t get emotional, but it’s a downer on the day to be sure.

I’m sorry for your loss. As someone else said, dogs are too good for us. And as I’ve always heard the joke told, “If dogs aren’t in Heaven, then I ain’t going.” I’d like to think that when we go to our Father that one of the first spirits that await us will be our beloved animal friends.

I remember The Twilight Zone episode where the old man drowns while trying to save his coon dog and they both go to the afterlife. The first place they come to seems nice but the dog recognizes the true character of the gatekeeper (The devil). When the old man says he won't enter unless the dog can go he walks away to the other choice, which is the real heaven. Both are welcomed there.

We have had to put two down. Peaches, our Golden Retreiver and Chloe, our lab. We have two Havanese now. Jackson is 10 and Betsy is 7. I dread the day when they leave us. My flamepoint Himalayan had to be put down due to cancer and it really hurt. I had her cremated. When I go, she goes in the casket with me. We'll have the same done with our Havanese. Jackson will go with my wife. Betsy will go with me, assuming I outlive her. Pets are a special gift from God.

Just got a Jack Russel mixed pup. He was abandoned at a vet clinic and bottle raised by a friend of my granddaughter's.
Said I would never get another dog as I am now 62. Going through a challenging time and this little guy brightens my days and nights. Silly as it sounds my hope is Skip outlives me so that I don't have to endure a situation like yours. Seems that the two of you gave each other a great time. You know he is waiting on the "Rainbow Bridge"

He will be so missed.
Prayers buddy. All dogs go to Heaven btw... I never thought that until I got one 2 years ago. My dog is my best friend and they’re definitely special to their owner!

So sorry for the loss of your Eddie. Dogs love us unconditionally. I have a 14 year old Cockapoo, Molly, who has a heart murmur and enlarged heart. She is doing great with the help of medicine and our vets. She still acts like she is 2. I don’t want to see the day she is no longer with us. RIP Eddie

My cat is my best friend, 10 months old, very small for a full grown cat but she's a stone cold killer and the most loving animal ever at the same time. Even with her being a baby still I already dread the day I lose her. I've spent a decent amount of money taking her to the vet to make sure she's always in good health. My gf and I were broken up at the time and she always thought I got the cat to not be alone with her gone but she's full of herself, she'll ask me what made you decide to get a cat, thing is I didn't choose the cat the cat chose me. I had no intentions in getting a pet but long story short my friends friend had a girl cat, they moved from out of town, they've refused to spay said girl cat, so she moved to town and because she's an indoor outdoor cat she found a stray in her new neighborhood and got pregnant.

Unfortunately their way of solving the problem isn't spaying the cat, but it's send every kitten she produces to a shelter. Basically the worst pet parents ever. My friend took her away from that home because she was the smartest and most disciplined of the 3 she learned the litter box way before her siblings at a much quicker pace than cats usually do, but he wasn't allowed to keep the cat so he had 2 options, find it a home with me being only option, or send it back for them to take to pound. Once I saw her it was a bond that couldn't be broken even though I wasn't in the market folr a pet. I've always been a dog person, but my cat is by far the coolest animal I've had.

They have so much more personality and just do a lot more than a dog can though I love dogs. The cat sees herself as my equal and as the master ouf the domain, she doesn't view herself as a pet which I find very cool about cats. Dogs understand they're pets, cats though recognize we are a different species view us as no more important or special than themselves. If anything she thinks I'm her pet. Anyways she's very protective and she's basically a spider in cat form she climbs the bottom of my box spring from end to end upside down all day long along with everything else and it's literally funniest thing ever. When I'm watching sports and get mad and start yelling at the TV, she'll jump in my lap, walk accross my chest and go face to face with me until her nose is touching my nose and just starts yelling at me whiles she's nose to nose because nothing makes her more mad than when I'm mad watching sports.

She hates hearing me yell it doesn't scare her at all it just makes her mad because she wants things to be quiet and peaceful. But that ain't gonna happen during UK games. I even have a harness for her and take her on walks (I'm that guy, want her to spend as much time outside as possible as she's way too wild to be indoors all the time). Anyways I feel your pain, if I had to choose between my gf of 5 years or 10 month old cat, I'd choose the cat everyday of the week. The day I fear most is the day I have to let her go, thankfully we have 20 happy years til then.

Last edited:
Reading this, will sitting beside my blind and deaf 18 year old JRT... she has been a great dog...
She is like the little old grandma...that wonders around the house.
Gonna two of my favorite old lady’s soon. My last living Mamaw will be 95 in August. She probably will not see that day. Her mind is pretty good; but her body is failing her.
God bless you, Mamaw and Chloe

Sorry for your loss. My brother lost his dog recently and he was devastated. Pretty true what they say, they really are your best friend. Always there for you and never judge you. Just happy as shit to see you when you walk through that door.

Very sorry for your loss. Dogs can become a very special part of our family, more than just a pet - I know mine sure is. I mourn the day when we will no longer have her.

Again, very sorry for your loss.

It will be 2 years this August I lost my 18 year old Lab "Rascal" Sorry for your loss, I personally do not think I can ever get another dog.

If it's your childhood dog it takes years. I have Golden Retreivers, best dogs on the planet as far as I'm concerned. Bought rebel at 9 years old and he died with me when I was 23. Took years to get past it. You won't feel the same about another dog even though you love them.

He will be so missed.
So very sorry about your loss.

Just got a Jack Russel mixed pup. He was abandoned at a vet clinic and bottle raised by a friend of my granddaughter's.
Said I would never get another dog as I am now 62. Going through a challenging time and this little guy brightens my days and nights. Silly as it sounds my hope is Skip outlives me so that I don't have to endure a situation like yours. Seems that the two of you gave each other a great time. You know he is waiting on the "Rainbow Bridge"
He may outlive you. My vet’s brother had a JRT that lived to be 22.

Sorry for your loss. But it sounds like you did the right thing. It'll be tough for awhile but just remember, he is no longer sick and hurting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT