ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like UK football is still considered pretty irrelevant by ESPN-------------------

jauk11

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 6, 2006
Checking the schedules out as far as they are listed, late Monday afternoon, the ESPN2 channel has the MIzzou spring game scheduled for replay twice (and older games I have seen listed a half dozen times four times) while the SEC channel is replaying their game three times and older games once. How many times did I find the UK game listed for replay/ ZERO. Of course Mizzou is-------

Wait a minute, didn't we have well over twice the attendance at our spring game, and aren't we predicted to have a chance at winning the East while they are a solid choice for last?

Wasn't It Rodney Dangerfield that used to always say "I get no respect".

In all fairness the SEC channel did rerun it last night-------if you were up around 2AM.

Reactions: cat888
I watched it today at around 4 on SEC Channel - just after the Mizzou - you may have misread schedule

I watched it today at around 4 on SEC Channel - just after the Mizzou - you may have misread schedule

Yeah, and I watched the 2AM one-------because I have a three hour time difference, so I started this thread after the 1 0'clock game was over--------but it still seems like they forgot about it a long time before they did the Mizzou reruns.

Last edited:

Explained above, but I would guess that was the second replay for each spring game, and the fact remains they then played the Mizzou game five times to the UK games zero.

What bothers me the most is during football season they act like UK, and Vandy, aren't even a part of the SEC. That is unprofessional on their part but it's ESPN, the grammar and spelling in their articles is terrible so they don't care about professionalism anyway.

However until I, a 28 year old, can say I witnessed a win over Florida I can't blame anyone for not taking UK seriously. The win over Louisville last year was a great starting point for what will hopefully be a promising next several years.

Reactions: NCukcat62
Checking the schedules out as far as they are listed, late Monday afternoon, the ESPN2 channel has the MIzzou spring game scheduled for replay twice (and older games I have seen listed a half dozen times four times) while the SEC channel is replaying their game three times and older games once. How many times did I find the UK game listed for replay/ ZERO. Of course Mizzou is-------

Wait a minute, didn't we have well over twice the attendance at our spring game, and aren't we predicted to have a chance at winning the East while they are a solid choice for last?

Wasn't It Rodney Dangerfield that used to always say "I get no respect".

In all fairness the SEC channel did rerun it last night-------if you were up around 2AM.

Im still waiting on proof that shows some posters feel UK football is entitled to ANY respect. This is not basketball. Our football team is like Texas tech basketball team. Our recruiting doesnt stink but its not even competitive with the SEC. Kentucky Basketball, Alabama football win because they get the 5 stars to come. We barely get 4 stars. 7-6 is not good. For a low teir non tradition rich program like us, it is a step foward. A clue that tells you were you are as a program is when a fanbase thinks there world beaters after a 7-6 season with a disapointing bowl loss when every other team would be pissed with that outcome.

I simply ask, why do we deserve respect? What have we really done to demand it?

Im still waiting on proof that shows some posters feel UK football is entitled to ANY respect. This is not basketball. Our football team is like Texas tech basketball team. Our recruiting doesnt stink but its not even competitive with the SEC. Kentucky Basketball, Alabama football win because they get the 5 stars to come. We barely get 4 stars. 7-6 is not good. For a low teir non tradition rich program like us, it is a step foward. A clue that tells you were you are as a program is when a fanbase thinks there world beaters after a 7-6 season with a disapointing bowl loss when every other team would be pissed with that outcome.

So who do you think will win the game when UK plays Mizzou?

That is a brutally honest post that will not garner too many "likes". [winking] Respect in sports comes from winning over time.

In regard to the OP, I don't think reruns of spring games are a good measure of "respect". Telecast decisions are probably based on local football interest and marketplace considerations. Overall football histories and recent attendance levels (i.e., past 10 seasons) between UK and Mizzou are quite similar. However, St. Louis, Kansas City and Springfield are the #21, #31 and #74 TV markets. The biggest markets in KY are Louisville (#50) and Lexington (#63).

Peace

That is a brutally honest post that will not garner too many "likes". [winking] Respect in sports comes from winning over time.

In regard to the OP, I don't think reruns of spring games are a good measure of "respect". Telecast decisions are probably based on local football interest and marketplace considerations. Overall football histories and recent attendance levels (i.e., past 10 seasons) between UK and Mizzou are quite similar. However, St. Louis, Kansas City and Springfield are the #21, #31 and #74 TV markets. The biggest markets in KY are Louisville (#50) and Lexington (#63).

Peace
I agree wildcard but when I chose to post, I'd be honest with myself, take my blue glasses off, and not be a hypocrite poster. We are heading in the right direction but we are not at a point of demanding respect.

Peace

Some of you need to quit living in the past-------the thread was about two teams in the SEC headed in opposite directions and the huge discrepancy in the coverage of the spring game-------UK AVERAGED over listed capacity the last time we had an exciting team-------that didn't break even in the SEC--------and while we had a FEW excellent players to pay to watch in the past now we have a roster with loads of players with that potential.

Mizzou had less than half the guestimated attendance for the spring game that we did, and while the numbers may be off the ratio probably isn't that much. They also have the whole state to themselves as far as major college football goes.

Two years ago they were a much better program than we were, now they aren't-------and I will guarantee you that UK has a lot more fans nationally than Transfer U has, and it looks like we will finally have a team worth supporting.

Oh, and by the way, our team is doing it the right way.

Some people can look at having close to 90% of your starters plus some really exciting true freshmen and redshirts available, the same GOOD coaches running the same systems, etc etc and extrapolate that a little bit. You backtracked a bit but this post sounds like you have very little respect for our coaches, their recruiting, or the players.

Seems like you ignored a couple very well-reasoned responses. I think you're connecting a few dots that had no business being connected.

I usually ignore posters that can't spell cat, although I did have a classmate in my junior engineering classes at UK that I liked that wouldn't have got one letter right if you asked him to spell coffee, he would have spelled it kawphy.

What bothers me the most is during football season they act like UK, and Vandy, aren't even a part of the SEC. That is unprofessional on their part but it's ESPN, the grammar and spelling in their articles is terrible so they don't care about professionalism anyway.

However until I, a 28 year old, can say I witnessed a win over Florida I can't blame anyone for not taking UK seriously. The win over Louisville last year was a great starting point for what will hopefully be a promising next several years.

Im old enough to have seen wins over florida and ut. But it is sad when Vandy gets W's over those teams and we cant.

Some people can look at having close to 90% of your starters plus some really exciting true freshmen and redshirts available, the same GOOD coaches running the same systems, etc etc and extrapolate that a little bit. You backtracked a bit but this post sounds like you have very little respect for our coaches, their recruiting, or the players.
Im fine with our personel, we as a program have done nothing historically to make ESPN say they respect us. Its as if people thought we should have a top 25 pre season ranking because we return 90% of a 7-6 team. We will not get respect until we start beating big boy teams going 9-10 wins every year with bowl game wins and top 10-25 recruiting classes ANNUALLY. Then, we become a respected program. How many teams in th SEC respect us enough to bring there A game? Vandy, SCAR, Mizzou. Thats it. Why cant we earn it before we crown ourselves world beaters. Any big time program that finished 7-6 is in danger of firing there coach. We are taking strides but we are not there yet.

I usually ignore posters that can't spell cat, although I did have a classmate in my junior engineering classes at UK that I liked that wouldn't have got one letter right if you asked him to spell coffee, he would have spelled it kawphy.

Bite me. I chose a humorous name on a forum, don't let it fool you.

I like the lack of respect. I think in general, Kentucky needs every advantage they can get going into games. If one of those is that the opposition thinks of us as inferior, sounds good to me. That's how you end up blowing someone up. That lack of respect can be crucial for a team like ours.

I like the lack of respect. I think in general, Kentucky needs every advantage they can get going into games. If one of those is that the opposition thinks of us as inferior, sounds good to me. That's how you end up blowing someone up. That lack of respect can be crucial for a team like ours.

And I chose what I thought was a humorous response to it. And I would love to see every other team not respect us, I just don't like to see it among our fans, especially when it has been so rampart lately. I don't think your lack of respect is helpful, in fact I still think message boards can have a slight impact on recruiting, definitely hurt us with some recruits not too long ago when they didn't know if their position coach (or anyone else) would even be here next year..

Reactions: WildBlueYonderCat
Im fine with our personel, we as a program have done nothing historically to make ESPN say they respect us. Its as if people thought we should have a top 25 pre season ranking because we return 90% of a 7-6 team. We will not get respect until we start beating big boy teams going 9-10 wins every year with bowl game wins and top 10-25 recruiting classes ANNUALLY. Then, we become a respected program. How many teams in th SEC respect us enough to bring there A game? Vandy, SCAR, Mizzou. Thats it. Why cant we earn it before we crown ourselves world beaters. Any big time program that finished 7-6 is in danger of firing there coach. We are taking strides but we are not there yet.

So, we finished 7 and 6 last year, how many of our coaches do you think are in danger of being fired in light of all the big raises and extensions they just got?

But then it doesn't sound like you think we are big time program.

Yep. I'm 27 and want a win vs Florida bad.

Peace
At the end of the day, we are not on anyone's radar as a factor in the SEC. IF we achieve a 7-5 or higher this year, the media will say they "knew" Kentucky would be better in 2017.

We all have to realize this program is getting better. Depth is better than we could ever imagine. The talent is SEC caliber. That talent is not on paper ready to challenge for a SEC title. They are ready to end the Florida debacle. They are are ready to beat UT, UofL and most other SEC teams not named Alabama.

We have to stay diligent and support this program. Our time is near.

Okay. First, winning will inspire more respect. As for whether espn, the sec network, you or anyone else accepts the fact that UK has a decent Football program is a moot issue to me. The facts are this:
1. The SEC is the most powerful conference in the world when it comes to the PREMIER sport of all college sports...Football;
2. That said, performance in the SEC is not the best measure for how good a team is. For example, a team like Ky (traditionally) could win no more than 1 or 2 games per year vs conference foes. While that does not account for success via winning the conference, it is not a measure of the strength of the team. 80% of the teams in the country playing Ky's regular SEC schedule would likely do no better IF NOT WORSE than Ky traditionally performs. Thus,
3. The worst team in the SEC could very likely be among the strongest 50 teams in the country. Having been an avid fan of Ky Football for over 50 years, I believe we are easily among the 50 best Football teams if not better most years.

All that to say this, personally I don't give a rat what others say. I know, in the overall scheme of college Football, we have a good program and generally have average if not better teams. Performance in the SEC is important, but it is not an accurate measure of how good the team is. You have to look at the bigger picture.

[QUOTE="jauk11, post: 5866664, member: 5222] I don't think your lack of respect is helpful, in fact I still think message boards can have a slight impact on recruiting, definitely hurt us with some recruits not too long ago when they didn't know if their position coach (or anyone else) would even be here next year..[/QUOTE]

You don't actually mean me do you? You said "your lack of respect" but I assume you meant generally. I certainly respect the program. I'm one of the biggest UK football fans I know.

And I chose what I thought was a humorous response to it. And I would love to see every other team not respect us, I just don't like to see it among our fans, especially when it has been so rampart lately. I don't think your lack of respect is helpful, in fact I still think message boards can have a slight impact on recruiting, definitely hurt us with some recruits not too long ago when they didn't know if their position coach (or anyone else) would even be here next year..

You don't actually mean me do you? You said "your lack of respect" but I assume you meant generally. I certainly respect the program. I'm one of the biggest UK football fans I know.

Okay. First, winning will inspire more respect. As for whether espn, the sec network, you or anyone else accepts the fact that UK has a decent Football program is a moot issue to me. The facts are this:
1. The SEC is the most powerful conference in the world when it comes to the PREMIER sport of all college sports...Football;
2. That said, performance in the SEC is not the best measure for how good a team is. For example, a team like Ky (traditionally) could win no more than 1 or 2 games per year vs conference foes. While that does not account for success via winning the conference, it is not a measure of the strength of the team. 80% of the teams in the country playing Ky's regular SEC schedule would likely do no better IF NOT WORSE than Ky traditionally performs. Thus,
3. The worst team in the SEC could very likely be among the strongest 50 teams in the country. Having been an avid fan of Ky Football for over 50 years, I believe we are easily among the 50 best Football teams if not better most years.

All that to say this, personally I don't give a rat what others say. I know, in the overall scheme of college Football, we have a good program and generally have average if not better teams. Performance in the SEC is important, but it is not an accurate measure of how good the team is. You have to look at the bigger picture.
I respect your comments and perspective. As for the bigger picture, many of us (I became a fan in 1952) have experienced a view from the bottom looking up.

The steps taken since Mark Stoops arrived have improved our vision of Kentucky football. We have risen from despair to cautious optimism once again. Dare I say a good percentage of us now have expectations?

Thanks for a good post.

The bigger picture is worthless in your argument because we dont play in other conferences, we play in the SEC, and in the SEC, we are not good. And i as a fan can admit that. We will never be able to say well, i dont care cuz we would rule every other conference because we really wouldnt..... Twice to WKU, USM, and 5 years in a row to UL says so. Your argument is invalid. We are what we are, but slowly improving.

So, we finished 7 and 6 last year, how many of our coaches do you think are in danger of being fired in light of all the big raises and extensions they just got?

But then it doesn't sound like you think we are big time program.
Jauk....We are not a frigin big time football school. You just proved my damn point. 7-6 equals a raise at UK. 7-6 Equals FIRED at a big time program. You just refuse to see reality.

And Jbapp thinks other schools are bringing in 20+ Lynn Bowden's every year. He is likely the best player coming out of Ohio this year. You fail to see that the strides being made are MASSIVE. You might even say they're "big time." We're beginning to bring in top tier talent.

You're out of your mind believing something has happened in the offseason that makes USC, Mizzou and Vandy better than us this year. We've beaten Carolina three straight times, Mizzou two in a row and Vandy last year. And we're going to be significantly better this year than last.

The bigger picture is worthless in your argument because we dont play in other conferences, we play in the SEC, and in the SEC, we are not good. And i as a fan can admit that. We will never be able to say well, i dont care cuz we would rule every other conference because we really wouldnt..... Twice to WKU, USM, and 5 years in a row to UL says so. Your argument is invalid. We are what we are, but slowly improving.

No. My argument is completely valid and absolutely true. It just does not suit your position. You are absolutely correct when you say we are not good as an SEC team. I am correct when I say we compare favorably when measured against the other 127 +/- major college Football teams. You are correct when you use losing to the likes of wky, usm as evidence we've had, at best, marginal success and, at times, have been weak. Then again, I can point to beating Penn State numerous other ranked, quality schools over the years.

Reactions: Jbapp1978

Peace

So, do you agree with him that we will only win four games this year? LOL

Jauk....We are not a frigin big time football school. You just proved my damn point. 7-6 equals a raise at UK. 7-6 Equals FIRED at a big time program. You just refuse to see reality.

Says the poster that predicts four wins

[QUOTE="jauk11, post: 5866664, member: 5222] I don't think your lack of respect is helpful, in fact I still think message boards can have a slight impact on recruiting, definitely hurt us with some recruits not too long ago when they didn't know if their position coach (or anyone else) would even be here next year..

You don't actually mean me do you? You said "your lack of respect" but I assume you meant generally. I certainly respect the program. I'm one of the biggest UK football fans I know.[/QUOTE]

Your assumption is correct, guess I might be overreacting to the one poster.

Edit: I thought I had posted this yesterday but just found it here not posted.

There was a replay of the spring game Tuesday night, right after the UK-UofL baseball game, which any UK sports fan should have been watching, and would have seen the spring game again !

So, do you agree with him that we will only win four games this year? LOL
No. Things look considerably brighter than that but I'll wait until I get my 2017 Phil Steele before making any predictions. :cool:

As for the spring, other than Hoak showing out I don't believe the B/W game showed us anything we did not already know. I always find it difficult to draw favorable conclusions from tightly played spring games when it is a 1s vs. 2s format. Maybe that's a showing of quality depth at Bama, tOSU and a few other places but simply not the case at most programs. In such formats you usually want the 1s to show a decided edge over the 2s and that did not happen. (Yes, it might have been different had Snell played the entire 1st half with the Blues. I'll hold off at least another year before saying so conclusively but he might be the best back at UK since Mo Williams.)

However the B/W game last year was a similar format and similarly competitive and the Cats did improve by 2 wins over the 2015 season. Will that be the case again this year? IDK.

Regardless, I see no reason now to think the Cats won't be at least as good as they were last year. They return numerous starters and have yet another favorable schedule, especially in terms of a another questionable SECE (by that I mean no scare the pants off you teams).

Looking at this "summary" of way too early Top 25s the Cats will play 4 such teams (#14 GA, #16 UofL, #17 FL and #22 TN). But only GA is on the road. They would seemingly be on par with the rest of the schedule. And even with those Top 25 type opponents there is usually a "noticeable difference" between the caliber of Top 10 and the next 15. So at this point I think it is pretty easy to objectively see another 7, maybe 8 win season. JMO.

Peace

Reactions: jauk11
We will climb the ladder of respect slowly, but surely, this season.

And JBapp, if a 7-6 record equals a firing at the "Big Boys" what does your predicted 4 win season, here next season, presage for Coach Stoops and staff.

I agree with one point you've consistently made over multiple threads . . . . that those predicting a continued rise in our fortunes in '17 will be pretty pissed if we lay another egg against Southern Miss.

And on the old issue of your prediction of 4 wins, you passionately point out our recruiting deficiencies against the established powers of the SEC, but use extreme hyperbole such as (to paraphrase) "for every top kid we sign, they sign 20."

Consider this, JBapp, along the very lines of you focus on recruiting . . . . we will have THE RECRUITING ADVANTAGE IN AVERAGE STAR RANKING OVER THE LAST 5 CLASSES on at least 7 of our 12 opponents on the schedule (Vandy, Miss State, Southern Miss, Eastern Michigan, Louisville, Mizzou, and the Div. 1AA opponent.)

Also, we will be darn close to South Carolina in those ranking over the last 5 years.

Florida, Georgia, Tennessee and Ole Miss will enter the games with a clear recruiting edge over our average class rankings . . . . on average, about the same as our advantage over Vandy and Mizzou. You are clearly exaggerating our recruiting deficiencies when you argue that 8 of next years opponents should be expected to simply roll over UK with their talent.

Mathematically, to achieve only a four win season would require 3 teams we have out-recruited to upset us (not by Vegas, perhaps, but by average recruiting rankings). And that is exactly the number of upsets of teams who have recruited better than UK, that we would have to pull off to win 10 games.

I argue that either a 4 win or a 10 win prediction is unlikely . . . . the first being defeatist, and the second being wildly overly optimistic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT