ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like the loudmouthed minority isn't just a UK thing

Michigan a good team? They were already on the bubble in bracketology last week before they lost to UVA & UK and haven't even made it to conference play.

We play UCLA next Saturday, they're very likely to punch a ticket...not a great team, but a good one, and on a neutral floor...far and away a better test than Wish-again. Come back and ask us then.
Well We won’t, maybe you will. I haven’t watched in over two years and won’t again until a change is made. I know many others who quit also, for the same reason.
Cal is coaching next year. If he recruits another great class for 2024, I think he'll coach that year. After that, I think he'll retire.

Time for a coaches meeting at Porcini's
Pro tip: Bring your own table linens...

IMAZFgP.jpg

Like I said above, I am not talking to all Kentuckians, but neither are you. My argument is as anectodical as yours unless you have travelled to every corner of the state and polled every UK fan.
At the time I posted that reply I hadn’t read the statement you are referring too . And while your second statement is true , I am in contact with dozens of UK fans almost daily. Maybe they aren’t representative of the entire fanbase, but I‘m pretty sure they are . And for someone that says “I actually have no way of knowing because I live in NC and don't talk to people other than online” you sure as hell came on strong calling people “a few disgruntled loudmouths on some fan site” .

I was wondering how you guys would react when Kentucky beats a good team. I found out. You continue to whine and complain with your stupid comments about Cal. I am not in Kentucky but I watch the teams' games on television. I see that the stands at Kentucky's arena are always full when the team plays there. I don't see any reporters indicating that there is any evidence that the vast majority of the fans have turned against Cal. I also have common sense. Cal has just recruited a class of recruits that is
considered the #1 class in the 2023 class. I have seen several of those players play. They are sensational players who the fans will love. Cal also has a contract that is way too expensive to buy out. I think that the AD could care less about people like you with your constant negativity. You really know how to celebrate when the team wins.
I don't know how long you have been a UK fan but I have been a fan for over 50 years and there are a lot of fans in my area that have been a fan for that many years and most of them are ready for a change and we live in Kentucky.

At the time I posted that reply I hadn’t read the statement you are referring too . And while your second statement is true , I am in contact with dozens of UK fans almost daily. Maybe they aren’t representative of the entire fanbase, but I‘m pretty sure they are . And for someone that says “I actually have no way of knowing because I live in NC and don't talk to people other than online” you sure as hell came on strong calling people “a few disgruntled loudmouths on some fan site” .
You have a point. I was referring more to the cherry picked responses in that article than on here. You are in a stronger position than I am and I won't argue the point. I appreciate your civil response.

Reactions: yoshukai
You have a point. I was referring more to the cherry picked responses in that article than on here. You are in a stronger position than I am and I won't argue the point. I appreciate your civil response.
No problem. Sometimes when a poster hasn’t posted much they can be taken wrong. As I did with you . I’m curious as to the meaning of your username?

Cal is coaching next year. If he recruits another great class for 2024, I think he'll coach that year. After that, I think he'll retire.
The arm chair coaches just look for something to bitch about. They want admit your correct, Cal will be here next year and after if he desires. I don't like several things he does but he's our coach and it does no good to continually berating everything he does. Actually if I had a son that was good enough to get a offer from KY I 'd have him look awfully hard at the social media groups always complaining. I feel sorry for the Wheeler family and the negativity they have to deal with toward their child.

The arm chair coaches just look for something to bitch about. They want admit your correct, Cal will be here next year and after if he desires. I don't like several things he does but he's our coach and it does no good to continually berating everything he does. Actually if I had a son that was good enough to get a offer from KY I 'd have him look awfully hard at the social media groups always complaining. I feel sorry for the Wheeler family and the negativity they have to deal with toward their child.
lol. I feel sorry for regular students trying to find a way to pay tuition, Hoping to get a good enough job to pay off student loans. As an armchair coach, I don’t feel nothing for scholarship athletes. Good for them, they’re gifted. But, it ends there.

The arm chair coaches just look for something to bitch about. They want admit your correct, Cal will be here next year and after if he desires. I don't like several things he does but he's our coach and it does no good to continually berating everything he does. Actually if I had a son that was good enough to get an offer from KY I 'd have him look awfully hard at the social media groups always complaining. I feel sorry for the Wheeler family and the negativity they have to deal with toward their child.
Don’t have to look too hard. Cal provides lots of material in every game & press conference/interview. I don’t think I’ve seen one person, here, say that Cal won’t be at UK next season. Most everyone who is unhappy, knows he’s not going anywhere this season, or, before next season ends. But, that doesn’t change any feelings. And, I don’t think anybody believes that complaining on message boards will get any results. That’s ridiculous. None of our opinions will have any effect, whatsoever, on anything in the AD.

But, it’s a freaking message board. Its purpose is for fans to discuss their teams. Good & bad. If you don’t like differing points of view then you’re in the wrong place. You don’t get to censor what ppl say & shut down every opinion you don’t like. But, burying your head in the sand & blindly supporting the coach does nobody any good, either. Some fans will support the coach, regardless, of the situation. Even if it’s obvious a change is needed & keeping said coach could set our program back a decade. Look at the Tubby debates for proof.

And, if a player is so fragile that mean, negative message board comments might hurt his feelings then he has bigger problems than which school to pick. Kids like that wouldn’t last a month at UK. Don’t want negative feedback? Then, don’t put yourself in the public eye. This era of coddling & safe spaces is flat out embarrassing & makes this country look weak af to the rest of the world.

Well We won’t, maybe you will. I haven’t watched in over two years and won’t again until a change is made. I know many others who quit also, for the same reason.
Can't imagine not watching the cats. I get frustrated for sure and Cal has worn on me over the years, but I still couldn't just quit. I'm fortunate to still have both parents and text with them every game.

I guess for me there is just too much history, too many memories and it's been a part of who I am my whole life (albeit a smaller part now with kids and other things to keep me busy)

Hate to hear fellow a fellow fan has reached thst point

I can agree with you on the negativity of the players . I try not to be too critical of the players. The loudmouth, snake oil salesman they have for a coach is a completely different matter though .

Can't imagine not watching the cats. I get frustrated for sure and Cal has worn on me over the years, but I still couldn't just quit. I'm fortunate to still have both parents and text with them every game.

I guess for me there is just too much history, too many memories and it's been a part of who I am my whole life (albeit a smaller part now with kids and other things to keep me busy)

Hate to hear fellow a fellow fan has reached thst point
Appreciate the reply. Long story short, and I hope you can understand. I was full of Cal’s bullshit before. But my dad, a lifelong UK fan, like no other, never missed a game on tv. He fell ill around this time last year. Was in and out of hospitals and nursing homes until he passed in February this year. He loved UK basketball. We got him settled into a local nursing home and UK had a game coming up one night. I told him I would come get the game on and watch with him. His response, “I don’t care nothing about that “. He was 89 years old and had been following the cats since he was born. He used to take me to his parents house to listen to the radio for games nearly 60 years ago. Me and my daughter took him to Rupp for his first and only game he ever saw live, Cals first year. So spare me the sorrow. My dad saw more good basketball than Cal ever dreamed of, and it’s not close. Don’t feel sorry for me, feel sorry for the ones that witnessed real basketball. They never got the chance to witness it again.

No problem. Sometimes when a poster hasn’t posted much they can be taken wrong. As I did with you . I’m curious as to the meaning of your username?
WCC refers to the Wildcat Chat board. That was my first introduction to internet fandom and there were a great bunch of people on there. It really was a community and I miss it. It's hard to believe that I have been around this madness for over twenty years. Man I feel old now, thanks a lot for reminding me.

You have maybe 3 guys on that team that are D1 athletes. It is what it is. They try so hard to keep up with big brother in everything they do. Getting their taste of the castor oil this year. Quit gagging on it and accept it. Kenny Payne or whoever is the coach there, they may never get back to where they were before.

As you stated, you aren’t in Kentucky. You base your opinions on media. That’s a ridiculous take. I base my opinion on being around other Kentuckians every day. And my opinion is a huge majority of UK fans would be happy if Cal left yesterday.
The fact is there is a huge portion of the UK fan base that will never be happy....they never have....never will.........the peanut gallery is going to bitch about everything....

Reactions: jwm24_2000
We live in a world of "what have you done for me lately....as in, immediately!"

No one has patience these days. Chalk that up to the electronic age of emails, texts, social media, and even the corporate world and marriage! Everyone is now expected to over achieve, read minds, never offend anyone, respond immediately, and just magically make things happen yesterday. And if they don't hit the ground running, respond within 45 seconds, or somehow create a miracle from nothing, they're chastised, fired, laid off, ghosted, or divorced.

Society - particularly American society - has been rapidly becoming a cesspool of absurd expectations and a total lack of any patience or empathy.
Social media has played a big part in that. No personal interaction. No connection with someone. People are just a twitter handle.

UL needs to give KP at least four years to get things rolling.
Know you guys are kidding, he does need time to restore some decency to the program. Sports is like life...once you involve the ALMIGHTY dollar into it , it's probably finished.

Social media has played a big part in that. No personal interaction. No connection with someone. People are just a twitter handle.
Yep, and I meant to throw in there a society of "instant gratification". That's really what's going on with Payne and the fans. They expected instant results and most definitely didn't anticipate a horrible building year. People want instant gratification, and social media "likes" and shares and such give people that "fix". It's like a drug.

Yep, and I meant to throw in there a society of "instant gratification". That's really what's going on with Payne and the fans. They expected instant results and most definitely didn't anticipate a horrible building year. People want instant gratification, and social media "likes" and shares and such give people that "fix". It's like a drug.
It's funny that I was thinking the same thing as you put in your original reply, but didn't want to look like grandpa complaining about this new fangled generation. I'm glad that you brought all of that up and that you are the Dude.

Reactions: TheDude73
Don’t have to look too hard. Cal provides lots of material in every game & press conference/interview. I don’t think I’ve seen one person, here, say that Cal won’t be at UK next season. Most everyone who is unhappy, knows he’s not going anywhere this season, or, before next season ends. But, that doesn’t change any feelings. And, I don’t think anybody believes that complaining on message boards will get any results. That’s ridiculous. None of our opinions will have any effect, whatsoever, on anything in the AD.

But, it’s a freaking message board. Its purpose is for fans to discuss their teams. Good & bad. If you don’t like differing points of view then you’re in the wrong place. You don’t get to censor what ppl say & shut down every opinion you don’t like. But, burying your head in the sand & blindly supporting the coach does nobody any good, either. Some fans will support the coach, regardless, of the situation. Even if it’s obvious a change is needed & keeping said coach could set our program back a decade. Look at the Tubby debates for proof.

And, if a player is so fragile that mean, negative message board comments might hurt his feelings then he has bigger problems than which school to pick. Kids like that wouldn’t last a month at UK. Don’t want negative feedback? Then, don’t put yourself in the public eye. This era of coddling & safe spaces is flat out embarrassing & makes this country look weak af to the rest of the world.
Post of the year

WCC refers to the Wildcat Chat board. That was my first introduction to internet fandom and there were a great bunch of people on there. It really was a community and I miss it. It's hard to believe that I have been around this madness for over twenty years. Man I feel old now, thanks a lot for reminding me.
I was wondering if that’s what it was. I miss those old days too !

It's funny that I was thinking the same thing as you put in your original reply, but didn't want to look like grandpa complaining about this new fangled generation. I'm glad that you brought all of that up and that you are the Dude.
I'm far from a grandpa (only 49 and kids are still in elementary and high school), but I can admit being guilty of the "addiction" that's instant gratification. I guess I'm just coming into my own finally and realizing there are more important things in life than "hurry up and get me results, no matter the cost to you or your family!".

Granted, I'm a bit sour on the corporate world as well having been sucked into layoffs three times over the last 8 years, so there's that....

It was the handshake between host and client...my first was a 2400 baud...would take 2 days to download something... [roll]
The other day I was going outside to shoot basketball with my 7 yr old grandson and I said “ When I was a kid we’d do this all day . We didn’t have IPads and phones with games on them “ . He said “ Gosh , was that in the last century?” ……It stopped me in my tracks .

Reactions: CatPhight
I agree with you there, but I'm wouldn't be shocked to know that they needed a body to fill the position asap and Kenny has strong ties there. The whole debacle with the last coaching staff was a public humiliation and an even keel personality is needed. At the very least their new head coach will do his best to keep the drama to a minimum and right now that's what is needed the most. You have to put the house fire out before you can rebuild it.
Yeah, but it is very unfortunate that KP inherited what is probably the worst roster in all of D1. I do feel for him. I have no sympathy for UofL here, of course, but to hire a guy with no head coaching experience and give him that roster- I don't know what anyone expected. I'd say most of Louisville fans HAD to expect it was going to be a rough season, like a really bad season. Now, they may not have expected to be 0-8 at this point, but they HAD to expect a bunch of losses. Payne will get this season and next, in my opinion as a pass. If they don't start winning some games, I doubt he will get any longer than that. In fact, if they only win 2 or 3 games this year and then next season starts in a similar way as this one, he probably won't make it until the end of next season.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
Yeah, but it is very unfortunate that KP inherited what is probably the worst roster in all of D1. I do feel for him. I have no sympathy for UofL here, of course, but to hire a guy with no head coaching experience and give him that roster- I don't know what anyone expected. I'd say most of Louisville fans HAD to expect it was going to be a rough season, like a really bad season. Now, they may not have expected to be 0-8 at this point, but they HAD to expect a bunch of losses. Payne will get this season and next, in my opinion as a pass. If they don't start winning some games, I doubt he will get any longer than that. In fact, if they only win 2 or 3 games this year and then next season starts in a similar way as this one, he probably won't make it until the end of next season.
Out of curiosity, who do you see them beating besides Florida A&M?

Lipscomb looks to be the only other team left on their schedule who they're capable of beating, but UL is actually the dog now at Yum.

QmmhflZ.png

Give him plenty of time.

But, I think it was a stupid move by a stupid program to hire a coach with no head coaching experience. This would be acceptable at a mid major maybe, but not at a Louisville type job. Dumb asses.

UNC and Duke say “hold my beer”

Out of curiosity, who do you see them beating besides Florida A&M?

Lipscomb looks to be the only other team left on their schedule who they're capable of beating, but UL is actually the dog now at Yum.

QmmhflZ.png
Yeah, I'd say Florida A&M is the most likely win. Lipscomb would be second most likely, though that has now become less likely. Florida State has lost at least 2 players to season-ending injuries, so that could be a possible win, though the upcoming game is on the road, which makes it very unlikely. The Seminoles are 1-9. The home game against Florida St in February is a more likely win, though by then Florida St may have some things better figured out with the injury situation and new guys having more playing time under their belts. The next most likely would be the home game against Georgia Tech on February 1. Ga Tech is 5-3 right now.

Right now, KenPom predicts 2 wins in the head to head numbers, but estimates their final record to be 6-25. So, kenpom expects Louisville to just get lucky a few times. That seems unlikely to me, though. If it were a no-name school and people didn't care about beating them, I could see them lucking into a couple wins. But they're a name team and a P5 school, so I doubt anyone will take them lightly, even though they're not good. I could see them getting hot in a game and shots falling for them but not 6 times. Their biggest problem right now is that their best chances for wins (other than Florida A&M and Lipscomb) were back in November.

Reactions: CatPhight
Yeah, I'd say Florida A&M is the most likely win. Lipscomb would be second most likely, though that has now become less likely. Florida State has lost at least 2 players to season-ending injuries, so that could be a possible win, though the upcoming game is on the road, which makes it very unlikely. The Seminoles are 1-9. The home game against Florida St in February is a more likely win, though by then Florida St may have some things better figured out with the injury situation and new guys having more playing time under their belts. The next most likely would be the home game against Georgia Tech on February 1. Ga Tech is 5-3 right now.

Right now, KenPom predicts 2 wins in the head to head numbers, but estimates their final record to be 6-25. So, kenpom expects Louisville to just get lucky a few times. That seems unlikely to me, though. If it were a no-name school and people didn't care about beating them, I could see them lucking into a couple wins. But they're a name team and a P5 school, so I doubt anyone will take them lightly, even though they're not good. I could see them getting hot in a game and shots falling for them but not 6 times. Their biggest problem right now is that their best chances for wins (other than Florida A&M and Lipscomb) were back in November.
Yeah I totally agree, I think Ken Pomeroy needs to reprogram his analytic machine... [laughing]

I've watched them play a few times, mainly the Maui games...with that roster, they could bring in Denny in his prime and still get hammered...just completely void of talent.

Unless they can somehow add a play maker two or three, 2 wins looks to be their ceiling IMO.

Can they add players next semester? Not sure what the portal protocols are, but it's not unheard of for a player to come in mid-season...maybe a Div II looking to move up.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
While I don’t feel too bad for UofL …I do feel bad for Kenny
He tried to recruit some players but the NCAA hadn’t ruled yet so his hands were tied
Agree ..give him time
But also agree it was a bonehead move to hire someone with NO HC experience and a P5 school
We'll never know the truth as to who was contacted and didn't want to deal with a mess.JMO

Reactions: Bkocats
ADVERTISEMENT