ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Nate Oats got his wish

Eh, keep an eye on him. I think he caught lightning in a bottle in 20/21 and took advantage of the shortened season.
Besides that year, he hasn't done much. They actually fell out of the rankings recently with a pretty good team.
He may not be what he appeared to be in 2021.
Yeah after typing that I went and looked up his record not great at all....lol .I also hear alot of Nate oaks for us and he's a remarkable 4-5 in the NCAA TOURNAMENT! Not gonna happen with that resume.

Reactions: Crums Bald Spot
Self has 2 titles now so hard to argue against him now.
I guess I can’t imagine spending 10 million a year on ANYONE to coach basketball at the collegiate level. That puts him at the level of Saban, Swinney and Smart! In fairness the NC yielded Smart an additional 850K.

Self makes 2X what Leipold makes at KU.

Yeah after typing that I went and looked up his record not great at all....lol .I also hear alot of Nate oaks for us and he's a remarkable 4-5 in the NCAA TOURNAMENT! Not gonna happen with that resume.
I'm a Nate Oats guy. I like his style of play, it's as modern as it gets. It took him a while to get the right players, but he has them this year.

Lets see how he finishes this year.

No one can say anything about Self.
No one can say anything about K.
And if Cal gets a second, no one can say anything about Cal.

I was thinking this too. We see it all the time. Teams that are killing it in December and January usually fade and aren't playing as well in March.
Purdue and Arizona seem to do that every year. Our 2015 team did that.
The November/December version of that 14/15 team would have beaten Wisconsin by 15.
Yep, we've seen it first hand. That was UK last season. In January and February, the Cats were dominant! But March rolled around and it wasn't the same team.

Reactions: kyjeff1
The SEC always tries to line us up with the toughest teams, usually we only get the away game, but in this case, they thought Bama wasn’t going to be that good, so they matched us up with two games against Arkansas instead, who was supposed to ge great.
You'll notice, we only played them once last year and that game was in Fayetteville (it was their turn to host, so no return trip to UK).
We got Bama twice last year, because they thought Bama was going to be good and it was our turn to host.
Only got Auburn once last year, but it was at Auburn, no return trip, because it was Auburn's turn to host.
You'll notice that we have to play the best teams twice when it's our turn to host, but only once when it’s their turn.
The SEC has no set algorithm that they go off of, the only pattern they have, is what makes the most money, which means UK pays the price.
Damn, that was a good summation Jeff. Thanks.

Reactions: kyjeff1
If Cal had benched Wheeler in the 2nd half we probably win the South Carolina game.

Wheeler played all 40 minutes..............Reeves 28, CJ 30.

Wallace going out after 8 mins was a killer but Wheeler should been playing 20 minutes and Reeves and CJ 36.

Cal could not see the trees beyond the forest and it took a Wheeler injury for the light to be shined bright enough that even Cal could not ignore it.

Reactions: ChaiseyD
The South Carolina loss reminds me of the Evansville loss totally horrible on home floor by 3 points but the difference was Evansville was even worse since they were a mid major we were #1 ranked and they went into a complete and total tank losing every game after for a long stretch.

That said we never got to see where Kentucky would have been seeded I think we still would have got a 3 seed that year despite that horrid loss. That Kentucky team strung some strong wins together.

Kentucky was 21 in the NET and 25-6 overall (something we can't get to this year without winning out)
Kentucky also had 9 quad 1 wins and 5 quad 2 wins we won't sniff anything close to that.

So that year despite the Evansville horrid loss I thought that was our best chance since 2015 to win a National title (until last year I thought last year we had the best chance even better than 2020 since 2015).

Again, if UK had been at full strength v The Gamecocks I would have been concerned but UK was down not one but two starters.
I realize Wallace played 8 minutes before exiting with back spasms but thats very little PT and Top didnt play a tic.

It was more about the phenomenon of UK having to overcome every opponents “A” game on a nightly basis, the proverbial “victim of your own success” syndrome.
Every thing S. Carolina threw up seemed to find the bottom of the net.
We are fine, just need to avoid the injury bug from here on out.
Nah there was serious internal feces that hit the fan - that’s the only way you lose at home to that sorry bunch

ADVERTISEMENT