ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Nate Oats got his wish

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
In that postgame press conference, Nate Oats was asked about the students section chanting NIT at Kentucky. He replied

"Students are gonna be students. Kentucky isn't going to the NIT. They're gonna be an NCAA tournament team... I hope in the end they're competing for a championship and we own the tie-breaker."

He then finished the press conference by saying he hopes UK goes on a run and that he will be rooting for them.

At the time, i thought Oats was just doing some coach speak and building up the quality of that win by praising UK. (and he may have been) Seemed like pure crap at the time to me because I was just embarrassed and angry because of the way we played.

But right now, Alabama is sitting alone in first place, and why? Because this UK team beat the other 2 undefeated SEC teams on consecutive Saturdays- at Tennessee and now Texas A&M. I'll tell you, I never would have believed it if you told me this UK team would wIn those 2 games, especially after the loss to South Carolina. Maybe Nate Oats is a prophet of sorts. 😀

Last edited:
In that postgame press conference, Nate Oats was asked about the students section chanting NIT at Kentucky. He replied

"Students are gonna be students. Kentucky isn't going to the NIT. They're gonna be an NCAA tournament team... I hope in the end they're competing for a championship and we own the tie-breaker."

He then finished the press conference by saying he hopes UK goes on a run and that he will be rooting for them.

At the time, i thought Oats was just doing some coach speak and building up the quality of that win by praising UK. (and he may have been) Seemed like pure crap at the time to me because I was just embarrassed and angry because of the way we played.

But right now, Alabama is sitting alone in first place, and why? Because this UK team beat the other 2 undefeated SEC teams on consecutive Saturdays- at Tennessee and now Texas A&M. I'll tell you, I never would have believed it if you told me this UK team would wIn those 2 games, especially after the loss to South Carolina. Maybe Nate Oars is a prophet of sorts. 😀
Again, if UK had been at full strength v The Gamecocks I would have been concerned but UK was down not one but two starters.
I realize Wallace played 8 minutes before exiting with back spasms but thats very little PT and Top didnt play a tic.

It was more about the phenomenon of UK having to overcome every opponents “A” game on a nightly basis, the proverbial “victim of your own success” syndrome.
Every thing S. Carolina threw up seemed to find the bottom of the net.
We are fine, just need to avoid the injury bug from here on out.

Last edited:
Again, if UK had been at full strength v The Gamecocks I would have been concerned but UK was down not one but two starters.
I realize Wallace played 8 minutes before exiting with back spasms but thats very little PT and Top didnt play a tic.

It was more about the phenomenon of UK having to overcome every opponents “A”game on a nightly basis, the proverbial “victim of your own success” syndrome.
Every thing Carolina threw up seemed to find the bottom of the net.
Still can’t lose to SC even without those 2.

It was more about the phenomenon of UK having to overcome every opponents “A”game on a nightly basis, the proverbial “victim of your own success” syndrome.
Every thing Carolina threw up seemed to find the bottom of the net.
Dude they were 7-8 coming into that game and we were at home. We had more than enough horses to put them away by 15-20.

We’re on a roll now and that’s great. But you need to stop with the revisionist history. We did not lose that game because we were undermanned

Nice quotes …only thing that bothered me about what u typed is that I didn’t realize we don’t play them again …would love that chance …especially in light of our recent improvements

Reactions: IL Wildcat

But right now, Alabama is sitting alone in first place, and why? Because this UK team beat the other 2 undefeated SEC teams on consecutive Saturdays- at Tennessee and now Texas A&M. I'll tell you, I never would have believed it if you told me this UK team would wIn those 2 games, especially after the loss to South Carolina. Maybe Nate Oars is a prophet of sorts. 😀
Nate Oats is eyeballing the coaching job, that's what this is about (IMO). If he keeps winning at Bama and starts to make deep runs in the NCAAT, if/when Cal does leave, he will no doubt be at the top of everyone's list. And I think UK is already at the top if his list.

Nate Oats is eyeballing the coaching job, that's what this is about (IMO). If he keeps winning at Bama and starts to make deep runs in the NCAAT, if/when Cal does leave, he will no doubt be at the top of everyone's list. And I think UK is already at the top if his list.
That was my thought too. At least a part of that was in his mind I think. But primarily he doesnt want to poke a sleeping bear....not sure if I insulted bears, not my intent. I am not yet convinced that we have turned it around because I am not sure Cal is capable of doing so. But assuming that the players have figured this out, Oats knows about not creating bulletin board material.

And I hope Oats gets the job, we would love that style of play here.

Cal always talked about position-less basketball, well, watch Alabama. They all look the same out there. Tall, long, super athletic dudes all over the court that can handle the ball, shoot and rebound. Their defense is great too.

Cal talked about in, Nate Oats executed it.

Really need Bama to choke two away.
We need Bama’s coach. He’s probably ahead of any other college coach in terms of modern basketball.
If you pair that with the resources he would have at UK then the rest of college basketball better watch out. He has college basketball on high alert coaching at Alabama.
I know he’s not made a FF yet but he is going to make plenty.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I hope he is and I hope it works out. Lloyd and Drew would next on my list, but I would make Oats say no first.

Reactions: PatWall

But right now, Alabama is sitting alone in first place, and why? Because this UK team beat the other 2 undefeated SEC teams on consecutive Saturdays- at Tennessee and now Texas A&M. I'll tell you, I never would have believed it if you told me this UK team would wIn those 2 games, especially after the loss to South Carolina. Maybe Nate Oats is a prophet of sorts. 😀
Mr. Moderator ... Like you, I never would have believed it if you told me this UK team would beat U.T. and TA&M - especially after the loss to South Carolina. But I also want to thank you for not going over-the-top with your usual pro-Calipari comments. Yes ... those were huge wins, with the very significant UGa win in between. But I suggest that Calipari's coaching (or lack thereof) had relatively little to do with the three-game win streak. Calipari had nothing to do with the fact that Wheeler was never on the floor against U.T. Only a fool would have failed to recognize the significance of that, and that was the single most important factor in the three-game win streak. Similarly but slightly less so, Wheeler's poor play vs. UGa practically forced Calipari to bench him in the second half, and only a fool would have failed to recognize the significance of that benching, given the result of the game. I have already complimented Calipari in other space on this board for not starting Wheeler against TA&M. That was his only coaching move of significance in the three games that wasn't completely forced upon him. He gave Wheeler 8 minutes in the first half vs. TA&M, and thereby got us into an 8-point hole at halftime, but Calipari did duly pull the plug on Wheeler in the second half.
So ... I also, like you, want the 'Cats to do well, win the SEC Tournament, and make a deep run into the NCAA Tournament. I feel like a broomstick cowboy in even writing that, but I do so to emphasize that even though I think Calipari is no less "CCC" today than he was two weeks ago, I think (and hope) that the players may have realized that they, together, know what works for them without regard to CCC and ... like the '98 team ignored Tubby at the end to win it all ... I'm hopeful that today's players have realized that they can, together, overcome CCCC's presence on the bench. We'll see.
And, whatever happens ... Go 'Cats ! ! !

I really love our SEC schedule going forward. Vandy, at Ole Miss (after the KU game), Florida and Arkansas at home. The away games at UGA and MSU. If we can pull out wins in all of those games, anything is possible. Alabama still has Auburn and Tennessee on the road, but 2nd place in the SEC is still within reach.

Cal said the same thing when someone mentioned the South Carolina game at the presser yesterday. We were without starters
True but USC is rated 244th. We were predicted to win by 17. You cannot lose that game despite starters being out.
Absolutely,I know in my opinion the loss was bad due to the lack of fight from our players.They just simply had no will to play or fight for the win.Thats what pissed me off and still does.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
We need Bama’s coach. He’s probably ahead of any other college coach in terms of modern basketball.
If you pair that with the resources he would have at UK then the rest of college basketball better watch out. He has college basketball on high alert coaching at Alabama.
I realize the pay would be better, but what specific resources would UK have that Bama doesn’t?

That was my thought too. At least a part of that was in his mind I think. But primarily he doesnt want to poke a sleeping bear....not sure if I insulted bears, not my intent. I am not yet convinced that we have turned it around because I am not sure Cal is capable of doing so. But assuming that the players have figured this out, Oats knows about not creating bulletin board material.
Sadly this team will never reach its full potential. Cal still, after having all the evidence needed, will not start the most effective lineup. This limits their possessions together over the course of the first half and at tines due to fouks and guys just needing a breather could keep the lineup from ever seeing the floor together in the first half.

Couple that with his refusal to mix and match defenses when needed or called for this team will look great at times and very vulnerable at others and ultimately have a season ending loss that makes us all scratch our head.

Reactions: ukjenning44
I realize the pay would be better, but what specific resources would UK have that Bama doesn’t?
Better NIL money for the players, Barnhart would buy into a new practice facility with a new coach I believe. Private jet for recruiting.
Basketball players get treated as rock stars at UK while football players receive that treatment at Bama.

Resources wasn’t the exact word I was looking for. Most kids dream of playing basketball for UK while most dream of playing football for Bama.
You combine Oats style of play with the KY name and he could pick any recruit he wanted.

I really love our SEC schedule going forward. Vandy, at Ole Miss (after the KU game), Florida and Arkansas at home. The away games at UGA and MSU. If we can pull out wins in all of those games, anything is possible. Alabama still has Auburn and Tennessee on the road, but 2nd place in the SEC is still within reach.
Yep. Was looking at ours and Bama’s schedules. Looks like we can get second place in SEC. Had we not dropped that damn game to USC things could’ve gotten very interesting IMO. I only see Bama dropping 2, 3 games at most.

Better NIL money for the players, Barnhart would buy into a new practice facility with a new coach I believe. Private jet for recruiting.
Basketball players get treated as rock stars at UK while football players receive that treatment at Bama.

Resources wasn’t the exact word I was looking for. Most kids dream of playing basketball for UK while most dream of playing football for Bama.
You combine Oats style of play with the KY name and he could pick any recruit he wanted.
Resources is the right word, but you can use perks too.

There aren't too many schools with a basketball budget that can match ours, the fan support is unmatched, not close.
How many Alabama fans would travel to London England, then Washington state?
Fan interest also creates larger NIL deals.
How many basketball coaches get 9 million a year?
How many have a private jet?

The bottom line is, the biggest resource is the fans and that is a very big advantage. These players are treated like Gods.

Stoops uses a private jet for recruiting

As far as the rock star treatment goes, Levis, Rodriguez, Bennie Snell Jr, Lynn Bowden, Landon Young, (and that’s only going back a few years) all were pretty BMOC for their time. Levis has an awesome NIL package along with others. I can’t imagine what Leary will get.

I don’t think it’s as black and white as it used to be. The transfer portal is going to change the landscape of EVERYTHING.

I can’t comment on style of play. .
BTW I do see Oats makes 3.225 million compared to Cal’s 8.6 million. What freaks me out, is Bill Self makes 10 million a year!

Last edited:
Yeah looks like they are favorites by large margins in all other games. They actually will probably be a favorite @ Auburn as well.
They are clearly the class of the SEC this season and maybe entire college bball.
Yeah, oates have the perfect mix of transfers role players and a star in miller. I’m still going to bet they fizzle out because all oates teams do because of the love and die by the 3 strategy

Nice quotes …only thing that bothered me about what u typed is that I didn’t realize we don’t play them again …would love that chance …especially in light of our recent improvements
Damnit I thought we got them at home. When's the last time we didn't play home and home with them.

You never know, but they look so much better than everyone else in the league at the moment it seems like their C game would beat everyone else’s A game.
Yep, I have to agree Montana. They look really good. I do know this, though. Even teams that seem better than everyone else can have a bad game. Also, teams get on rolls and then can go cold as well, especially college teams. The only thing that would worry me if I were Nate Oats right now is that they may peaked too soon. It's hard to sustain what they have going right now.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I think drew would b perfect for this job hes got Baylor going.

Stoops uses a private jet for recruiting

As far as the rock star treatment goes, Levis, Rodriguez, Bennie Snell Jr, Lynn Bowden, Landon Young, (and that’s only going back a few years) all were pretty BMOC for their time. Levis has an awesome NIL package along with others. I can’t imagine what Leary will get.

I don’t think it’s as black and white as it used to be. The transfer portal is going to change the landscape of EVERYTHING.

I can’t comment on style of play. .
BTW I do see Oats makes 3.225 million compared to Cal’s 8.6 million. What freaks me out, is Bill Self makes 10 million a year!
Self has 2 titles now so hard to argue against him now.

Damnit I thought we got them at home. When's the last time we didn't play home and home with them.
The SEC always tries to line us up with the toughest teams, usually we only get the away game, but in this case, they thought Bama wasn’t going to be that good, so they matched us up with two games against Arkansas instead, who was supposed to ge great.
You'll notice, we only played them once last year and that game was in Fayetteville (it was their turn to host, so no return trip to UK).
We got Bama twice last year, because they thought Bama was going to be good and it was our turn to host.
Only got Auburn once last year, but it was at Auburn, no return trip, because it was Auburn's turn to host.
You'll notice that we have to play the best teams twice when it's our turn to host, but only once when it’s their turn.
The SEC has no set algorithm that they go off of, the only pattern they have, is what makes the most money, which means UK pays the price.

Yep, I have to agree Montana. They look really good. I do know this, though. Even teams that seem better than everyone else can have a bad game. Also, teams get on rolls and then can go cold as well, especially college teams. The only thing that would worry me if I were Nate Oats right now is that they may peaked too soon. It's hard to sustain what they have going right now.
I was thinking this too. We see it all the time. Teams that are killing it in December and January usually fade and aren't playing as well in March.
Purdue and Arizona seem to do that every year. Our 2015 team did that.
The November/December version of that 14/15 team would have beaten Wisconsin by 15.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
I think drew would b perfect for this job hes got Baylor going.
Eh, keep an eye on him. I think he caught lightning in a bottle in 20/21 and took advantage of the shortened season.
Besides that year, he hasn't done much. They actually fell out of the rankings recently with a pretty good team.
He may not be what he appeared to be in 2021.

Reactions: Crums Bald Spot
Cal said the same thing when someone mentioned the South Carolina game at the presser yesterday. We were without starters
True but USC is rated 244th. We were predicted to win by 17. You cannot lose that game despite starters being out.
Even when the Gamecock shooters turn into the 1984 Celtics on top of that?

Reactions: ChaiseyD
ADVERTISEMENT