ADVERTISEMENT

Looking to re-do home theater

mcwildcats04

All-SEC
Jul 19, 2003
We moved into our place about 8 years ago and it still has all of the original electronics (including one of the first HDTVs that came out it seems). Looking to re-do everything in my mancave to get it up to date. Really looking for ideas here as I'm no expert in electronics.

If you have any suggestions on type of flat-screen to get (want to mount it to our wall), best receiver, best DVD player, best surround sound speaker set-up (assume should go with wired as opposed to some type of soundbar set-up?) would love to hear it! I also plan to replace the existing sectional that came with the house with a nice new movie-style black leather set.

Also, if there are any suggestions on companies that can actually re-design the entertainment center itself, I'd love to hear. I probably just need to find a local handyman for that (live close to Chicago). But, I definitely need to add some drywall to be able to mount the new TV and need to better design the set-up of the shelves. Thanks for any ideas!

widescreen1000.jpg

213vintlaswer.promo_.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

We moved into our place about 8 years ago and it still has all of the original electronics (including one of the first HDTVs that came out it seems). Looking to re-do everything in my mancave to get it up to date. Really looking for ideas here as I'm no expert in electronics.

If you have any suggestions on type of flat-screen to get (want to mount it to our wall), best receiver, best DVD player, best surround sound speaker set-up (assume should go with wired as opposed to some type of soundbar set-up?) would love to hear it! I also plan to replace the existing sectional that came with the house with a nice new movie-style black leather set.

Also, if there are any suggestions on companies that can actually re-design the entertainment center itself, I'd love to hear. I probably just need to find a local handyman for that (live close to Chicago). But, I definitely need to add some drywall to be able to mount the new TV and need to better design the set-up of the shelves. Thanks for any ideas!

This ain't gonna be easy, fellas.

Most TV’s are really good nowadays, some are fantastic. If you’re doing sound separate you can get a great TV at an exceptional price since a lot of the higher priced models just have better sound. We bought a 70” Vizio 3 years ago that is still great.

Reactions: mcwildcats04
Here is the latest buying guide for large TVs from Consumer Reports. The TVs with OLED technology are the highest rated models. Only LG and Sony have that technology. Samsung uses a different technology on their highest end models called QLED but it is not considered as good at the moment. I am looking to upgrade my TV as well and have been watching prices. Prices have been coming steadily down and usually hit their low point from Black Friday until Christmas.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/tvs/buying-guide/index.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: mcwildcats04

https://www.themasterswitch.com/best-home-theater-systems
I still prefer knobs though.

Other blokes down the street will be playing theirs at ten, and if they want more, where will they go? But he can be playing at 10, and if wants more, turn it up to 11.
Why doesn't he just make 10 louder and make 10 be the top number and make that a little louder?

The TV/Plex/App stuff is relatively easy and straight forward. But if you want a true "home theater", you're going to have research sound systems, understand speaker frequency range, your room layout and a whole mess of other stuff.

What's the point of Plex if you haven't ripped your DVDs to digital files?
Was wondering this as well initially but looks like you can do more. I have Comcast Xfinity and looks like I could ditch that at least for TV as you can get your own channels through Plex apparently? What about internet? Can I run internet through that as well or still need Comcast as my ISP?

The TV/Plex/App stuff is relatively easy and straight forward. But if you want a true "home theater", you're going to have research sound systems, understand speaker frequency range, your room layout and a whole mess of other stuff.
Makes sense, I did some digging and found some local contractors very highly rated that do all this stuff from both consultation on equipment to buy, re-design of layout of home theater itself, and install of everything. Going to pay someone to come out and give some advice.

Was wondering this as well initially but looks like you can do more. I have Comcast Xfinity and looks like I could ditch that at least for TV as you can get your own channels through Plex apparently? What about internet? Can I run internet through that as well or still need Comcast as my ISP?
Plex doesn't replace cable TV. Plex can serve as a DVR for an antenna, but you have to buy a digital antenna and a tuner to connect to the computer you'd be running the Plex Server on.

Plex also isn't an ISP. If you don't have internet, Plex is useless.

You can add some streaming apps to it, but why do that when you can just run the apps directly off your Roku, Fire TV, Apple TV, etc.?

It's amazingly clutch if you have a lot of downloaded media though. I used it all the time when I would download stuff. Now I just do Netflix, Hulu, etc. and don't really find any use for it.

Makes sense, I did some digging and found some local contractors very highly rated that do all this stuff from both consultation on equipment to buy, re-design of layout of home theater itself, and install of everything. Going to pay someone to come out and give some advice.

Solid plan.

Honestly, unless you're trying to save money and have an interest in this stuff (sounds like you're pretty novice), I wouldn't hassle with it. Chances are, you live within a city that will have a few home theater retailers. Yes, you can pay $100,000 at these places if you wanted to, but they know that's only for the very fringe.

Tell them (or your contractor) what you're looking to spend and keep it in budget. If you're re-doing EVERYTHING? I'm gonna say probably $2,000 to $3,000 can get you going. Check out the Home Theater shops for ideas and inspirations.

Plex doesn't replace cable TV. Plex can serve as a DVR for an antenna, but you have to buy a digital antenna and a tuner to connect to the computer you'd be running the Plex Server on.

Plex also isn't an ISP. If you don't have internet, Plex is useless.

You can add some streaming apps to it, but why do that when you can just run the apps directly off your Roku, Fire TV, Apple TV, etc.?

It's amazingly clutch if you have a lot of downloaded media though. I used it all the time when I would download stuff. Now I just do Netflix, Hulu, etc. and don't really find any use for it.
Ok thanks, doesn't really sound like something I'd get a ton of use off of. I am very basic and really just watch sports live (mainly UK basketball). Don't do much downloaded media at all.

Ok thanks, doesn't really sound like something I'd get a ton of use off of. I am very basic and really just watch sports live (mainly UK basketball). Don't do much downloaded media at all.
Yeah. If someone else who currently uses Plex can point to the error(s) of my post then please do, but it looks like that's how Plex still operates after double checking their website.

If I get around to re-doing mine, I had a guy at my local shop show me some Magnepan's, and why they are a superior speaker. To preface, he knew I wasn't buying but didn't care, he was too excited. He sat me down and we listened to like 10 different songs of different genres. The Sound was pretty damn amazing.

https://www.cnet.com/news/magnepan-mmgi-speakers-stupendously-thin-wall-of-sound/
The Klipsch Klipschorn and later the Magnepan's were the first speakers that absolutely blew me away.

Here is the latest buying guide for large TVs from Consumer Reports. The TVs with OLED technology are the highest rated models. Only LG and Sony have that technology. Samsung uses a different technology on their highest end models called QLED but it is not considered as good at the moment. I am looking to upgrade my TV as well and have been watching prices. Prices have been coming steadily down and usually hit their low point from Black Friday until Christmas.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/tvs/buying-guide/index.htm
Hey thanks so much for the link. I'm guessing I'll probably go with LG OLED probably in 65-inch. Reviews really look good on those. While I have seen a few complaints regarding issues with the OLED TVs, overall the reviews look pretty good (there are always going to be some lemons and some bad reviews for any product). Seems like it may just be better to buy the 2017 models as there's not a huge advance in the 2018 models and you can save a lot. I doubt I will care at all about the difference.

I am in mid process of finishing out my basement.

I am going with the Samsung NU8000 82" 4K UHD for ~$3300 at BB.

Pairing that up with a Pioneer Elite receiver and mostly pioneer speakers. The exception is the rear high L/R speakers where I am using Bose 161's.

The 7.2 setup should be amazing and I hope to be competed by CFB kickoff labor day weekend !!

Does anyone here that owns an OLED have any burn in? Going to redo some TVs soon if I get a moment to do so...can’t tell in my limited research if the burn in stuff is legit or Samsung/Russian disinformation.

Had the LG OLED C7P and haven’t had a single issue and the picture is stunning. Haven’t had burn in issue at all... I honestly want to know how people do have that issue.

I am in mid process of finishing out my basement.

I am going with the Samsung NU8000 82" 4K UHD for ~$3300 at BB.

Pairing that up with a Pioneer Elite receiver and mostly pioneer speakers. The exception is the rear high L/R speakers where I am using Bose 161's.

The 7.2 setup should be amazing and I hope to be competed by CFB kickoff labor day weekend !!
82"????? Good Lord!

What's the biggest screen you can buy?

ADVERTISEMENT