ADVERTISEMENT

Lonzo Ball

I'm taking up for logic and reason. You can be objective without having a man crush. Apparently it's controversial to think one game is a ridiculously small sample size for anything.

I would hope the board that touts itself as the smartest basketball message board in the world would be able to actually analyze the game and significant players.

I'm not trying to be an ass, I was just curious as I have never seen a UK fan take up for Lonzo or another non UK player as much. I just think he's way overrated based on everything I have seen of him.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Here's what I find disingenuous: ESPN constantly putting a mic in Lavar's face, then having their own commentator's saying that his father's comments are going to make it tougher on him.

Notice that TNT didn't interview Lavar last night. But, ESPN found him after the game.

I'm not taking responsibility away from Lavar. He's a grown man, and will reap what he sews (both good and bad).

But ESPN should recognize where they are complicit in this. If his comments bring negativity toward his son, then perhaps, ESPN should actually consider whether or not they should keep seeking out comments from Lavar, especially when Lonzo has no control over his father and what he says, and actually seems to recognize a need to be respectful to his father, who, actually has done a lot for him.

In short, if you actually care about the young man (who I realize is an adult and well-paid athlete), then perhaps you should consider taking the mic away from his father's face, and see what outlets he chooses to get his message out going forward.
they don't care about him. he's a story. and no matter what happens they can keep talking about him. it's the same setup as lebron.

my favorite part is how they will say the player "couldn't live up to the hype" when they underperform. it's funny because this is the hype that they generated. and yet people keep tuning in and seem to forget that espn is who blew these stories up.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
they don't care about him. he's a story. and no matter what happens they can keep talking about him. it's the same setup as lebron.

my favorite part is how they will say the player "couldn't live up to the hype" when they underperform. it's funny because this is the hype that they generated. and yet people keep tuning in and seem to forget that espn is who blew these stories up.

I think you are pretty much right.

I think he is over rated. Way too many faults in his game. Will be exposed in the man's league he's in now.
I always compare him to Jason Kidd, another west coast player who came into the league with a big reputation. Kidd is a hall of fame player, a great passer and defender , rebounder and leader. Lonzo (who seems like a nice young man) lacks Kidd's quickness and physicality. he is not as good a passer although he is a good passer. Neither Lonzo nor Kidd were great shooters although Lonzo appears to be a better shot than Kidd was as a rookie. The real difference is in quickness. and physical toughness .I believe Ball's lack of quickness is a major problem that was constantly exploited by Fox and was the reason Beverly gave him so much trouble. If PB tried to body up Wall like he did Ball, Wall would be dunking on him all night.

Yeah I am.

Doesn't seem like you've discussed much basketball if you've not come across UK fans that will passionately defend non-UK players.

In fact, what Gonzo is doing is actually pretty tame. He's even saying he would have preferred Fox, and placed Ball in a group of rookie PGs (below Fultz), saying that anyone of them could be the next best behind Fultz.

Not exactly aggressive defense, just providing a pretty honest assessment that it's silly to blow up a good player after one pro game.

To me Ball will be a decent PG that will play many years but I would take Fox every day all day over him. Fox I beleive will be a superstar in the league. Fox has that killer instinct you got to have to be great.
He also destroyed Ball in both matchups yet folks bought into the Ball hype.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Doesn't seem like you've discussed much basketball if you've not come across UK fans that will passionately defend non-UK players.

In fact, what Gonzo is doing is actually pretty tame. He's even saying he would have preferred Fox, and placed Ball in a group of rookie PGs (below Fultz), saying that anyone of them could be the next best behind Fultz.

Not exactly aggressive defense, just providing a pretty honest assessment that it's silly to blow up a good player after one pro game.

He was going back and forth over the course of many posts defending him. I would say most here don't care for the guy and think Fox and a few others are flat out better. I was curious as to why he liked him so much. The dude is over hyped, his dad is insufferable and he is a quitter IMO. When things get rough he packs it in. We disagree about him, it's cool.

I hate everything west coast.

Everything. Hope that side of the country gets taken over by giant mosquitos.

@Aike is a well know traitor to the east coast, boy if biggie was still alive.....

But even HE (forgive the unacceptable pronoun LA guys) can see that Ball just isn’t in this, right?

Always preferred Pac.

He was going back and forth over the course of many posts defending him. I would say most here don't care for the guy and think Fox and a few others are flat out better. I was curious as to why he liked him so much. The dude is over hyped, his dad is insufferable and he is a quitter IMO. When things get rough he packs it in. We disagree about him, it's cool.

I know what he did.

It's not uncommon. Stick around.

I'm not trying to be an ass, I was just curious as I have never seen a UK fan take up for Lonzo or another non UK player as much. I just think he's way overrated based on everything I have seen of him.

I hear ya, we're good. No worries.

I don't mean to come across like I'm taking up for him. I think there are totally reasonable criticisms and questions about his game and Lavar and the hype and all that.

This thread is just terrible and lacking any actual analysis. I'd have done the same if someone said Grayson Allen is the worst college basketball player in America.

I hear ya, we're good. No worries.

I don't mean to come across like I'm taking up for him. I think there are totally reasonable criticisms and questions about his game and Lavar and the hype and all that.

This thread is just terrible and lacking any actual analysis. I'd have done the same if someone said Grayson Allen is the worst college basketball player in America.

I got ya. It's cool man I understand your points. I don't think perspective is bad in any way.

I always compare him to Jason Kidd, another west coast player who came into the league with a big reputation. Kidd is a hall of fame player, a great passer and defender , rebounder and leader. Lonzo (who seems like a nice young man) lacks Kidd's quickness and physicality. he is not as good a passer although he is a good passer. Neither Lonzo nor Kidd were great shooters although Lonzo appears to be a better shot than Kidd was as a rookie. The real difference is in quickness. and physical toughness .I believe Ball's lack of quickness is a major problem that was constantly exploited by Fox and was the reason Beverly gave him so much trouble. If PB tried to body up Wall like he did Ball, Wall would be dunking on him all night.

John Wall can not wait to get ahold of Lonzo..

I have been a Lakers fan for nearly 40 years. It’s never been a secret.

I've been one for nearly 30.

I'm also a UK fan.

There is no bias in my statement, if you read/follow my posts, I catch flack for being too objective.

The only thing you can so on this thread without catching flack is "BBNOMGWTFBBQ JOHN CALIPARRRRRRIIIII"

I'll say the same for Fultz, who came off the bench for Philly. I'll say it for Bam and Monk who had bad starts.

It's funny, Cal says trust the process--and you can post all season about buying in and trusting things will be better later on. But when it comes to the NBA, they won't get better later on? Oh, it's just non-UK guys?

Reactions: UKUGA
I've been one for nearly 30.

I'm also a UK fan.

There is no bias in my statement, if you read/follow my posts, I catch flack for being too objective.

The only thing you can so on this thread without catching flack is "BBNOMGWTFBBQ JOHN CALIPARRRRRRIIIII"

I'll say the same for Fultz, who came off the bench for Philly. I'll say it for Bam and Monk who had bad starts.

It's funny, Cal says trust the process--and you can post all season about buying in and trusting things will be better later on. But when it comes to the NBA, they won't get better later on? Oh, it's just non-UK guys?

Yep.

You know what happens when I discuss Ball-Fox with Lakers fans?

A lot of them accuse me of not being objective because I’m a Kentucky fan.

Hmmm.

Yep.

You know what happens when I discuss Ball-Fox with Lakers fans?

A lot of them accuse me of not being objective because I’m a Kentucky fan.

Hmmm.

And ultimately, what are people saying in this thread that's bias? Gonzo's posts all say the same--let's give him more than 1 game before we declare him a bust. And the collective BBN is saying people are bias?

Options are: Call him a bust after 1 game, be "biased."

As a Lakers fan, I wanted Fox. I think Fox will be an All-Star several times over. I think Magic saw a kid averaging 6 rebounds and 7 assists and saw a young Magic--and he wanted that.

As Beverly showed last night, people will be going after Ball all year. Kid's gonna have to get tough.

One game does not make a season. Ball will be fine. Kids 18... was he suppose to go for 20-10-8 in his first game against grown men? He'll be fine. I hate his dad but i dont mind Lonzo.

Here is what Lavar said about Pat Beverely after the game
Lol. I can't wait until more players go after him. Beverly isn't an all time great but he's still a good player and he's more proven than Lavar or his son.

I can't even believe Lavar was dumb enough to bring up stats. He's just a big blubbering bully who has no real argument so he resorts to personal attacks and yelling "BIG BALLER! BIG BALLER! BIG BALLER!"

If this was the old days I would say a good ass kicking would set him straight, but he's so delusional I don't think it would help.

De'Aaron when he saw this news.

photo.jpg

SO far, we’ve got four people telling us to be objective, and use “logic”, when looking at Ball, because ya know, unless you think he’s gonna be a good one you’re just biased.

All four are Laker fans.

Hmmmmm

All four are also UK fans, that wanted Fox. Okay.....

All four are Laker fans defending Ball. Okay......

I’m messin with you dudes, but let’s leave words like “logic” and “objective” out
of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueRunner11
SO far, we’ve got four people telling us to be objective, and use “logic”, when looking at Ball, because ya know, unless you think he’s gonna be a good one you’re just biased.

All four are Laker fans.

Hmmmmm

All four are also UK fans, that wanted Fox. Okay.....

All four are Laker fans defending Ball. Okay......

I’m messin with you dudes, but let’s leave words like “logic” and “objective” out
of it.

I think it makes the most sense that Non-Laker, UK fans, are unlikely to seek out this thread to defend Lonzo Ball. It doesn’t mean that there aren’t those in the UK fan base who happen to see the merits of his game.

Reactions: GonzoCat90 and Aike
I think it makes the most sense that Non-Laker, UK fans, are unlikely to seek out this thread to defend Lonzo Ball. It doesn’t mean that there aren’t those in the UK fan base who happen to see the merits of his game.

I mean, surely I have a fair point though?

Just because you clearly saw it coming by my questions doesn't mean it's not a fair point right?

ADVERTISEMENT