ADVERTISEMENT

Local update on Zion Williamson, who is expected to wait till spring to sign

The fact that Jmeeks54 makes it sound like he went to the hospital and put a cast on it and rolled around in a wheelchair is what I dont get. "Its just a bruise." Of course it is, in the most important joint in a basketball players body. In what world would it be smart to play an AAU game or 2 if you cant even walk properly? Have you watched AAU basketball before? Not all of it is 2 top teams competing. As everyone else has said, I wouldn't see the point in playing unless you're 100% either, especially in a meaningless AAU tournament compared to the grand scheme of his career. Plenty of athletes in every sport sit out for what sound like "minor injuries" but can deeply affect how you mobility and comfort level. If you cant give it all on the court, arent you actually hurting more than youre helping by being a potential liability? This whole argument of yours seems very off the cuff with a focal point on how manly it is to play with a deep knew bruise.

Reactions: awf
I think most of us may have taken your post differently than you intended it to be taken. After reading it a second time, I no longer think you were implying that you have no sympathy for the young man because you are a big tough firefighter. I think what you meant was that being a paramedic, you know a little bit about bruises and you don't think his was a big deal.

So, maybe you are not a douche bag like most are saying but I do think you are speaking above your pay grade. I respect what you do everyday in your job protecting all of us. However, paramedics are trained to be first responders who do a vital job of temporarily sustaining the patient until they can get them to a hospital where experts(doctors) can use their 12 years of education to determine the best long term care plan. Only a doctor, aided by the use of imaging equipment, performing a first hand examination is truly qualified to diagnose this kid and advise him on the extent of activity in which he should participate. They may be taking a more cautious route than is typical but there is a lot at stake when it comes to those particular legs.
I appreciate your post, and your right I was more referencing my experience as a paramedic. To be honest I could not care less if a bunch of posters think I'm a douche bag becuase I don't have much sympathy for a bruise.

While I agree that doctors are really helpful in diagnosing complex medical problems (Diseases, not injuries), paramedics and nurses are just as good as doctors in determining the extent of a physical injury. We don't just sustain, we can treat patients with more authority than nurses. Our protocol actually directs us to make a field diagnoses and treat it, without fancy imaging equipment. We don't call the doctor for orders like nurses have to, unless we want to do something outside our scope of practice. In some states paramedic can perform stitches with numbing medication right on the spot. Doctors have medicinal minds, but they are the only medical professionals who make diagnoses and treat them. I have never brought a patient into the ER without the doctor coming over and asking me and my partner what we thought was going on.

In your defense, I didn't see the injury. But I have never seen a teenager, athlete or not, develop a "deep contusion" (which is a fancy word for bruise) that limited their mobility in any sort of the way. But you don't need 12 years of school or imaging equipment to tell if a bruise is serious or not. You need those years and that equipment for a lot of things, but not bruises.

Zion Williamson is not my kid so I'm not going to defend him tenaciously on a message like he is. These recruits are not God and they can be criticized. Some people have a hard time understanding that.

Last edited:
The fact that Jmeeks54 makes it sound like he went to the hospital and put a cast on it and rolled around in a wheelchair is what I dont get. "Its just a bruise." Of course it is, in the most important joint in a basketball players body. In what world would it be smart to play an AAU game or 2 if you cant even walk properly? Have you watched AAU basketball before? Not all of it is 2 top teams competing. As everyone else has said, I wouldn't see the point in playing unless you're 100% either, especially in a meaningless AAU tournament compared to the grand scheme of his career. Plenty of athletes in every sport sit out for what sound like "minor injuries" but can deeply affect how you mobility and comfort level. If you cant give it all on the court, arent you actually hurting more than youre helping by being a potential liability? This whole argument of yours seems very off the cuff with a focal point on how manly it is to play with a deep knew bruise.
I never said or implied any of that.

A "deep confusion" is a fancy word for bruise. That's a fact, not an opinion. If you think playing with a bruise will cost him his future you're a fool.

Come talk to me when you save a bus load of girl scouts from a car bomb placed by Al Queda. One of those girls had a broken leg. I ran on that bus threw her on my shoulder and ran out before the bomb detonated.

That little girl is now at Harvard and about to graduate with top honors in diabetes research. What if i just saved millions of lives globally by saving her? You should be thanking me.

That's not the actual name of it. It's the code name we use when we are civilians. Anyone who has security clearance knows this.

Never had any dead ones, because i saved all my people. Some people call me a hero, i just call myself an American.
I have had security clearance before, when I was at the Air Force Academy. And I can tell you that's absolute bull shit. If a code name doesn't exist on paper than it is classified and it's not supposed to go into public domain.

But "doesn't exist on paper" is just a saying. Everything exists on paper or is in a computer somewhere.

Furthermore veterans and active duty don't go around bragging about their war stories or commanding people to thank them. My family has a long history of serving and I have several friends in the service. None of them talk about their stories overseas lightly. And none them go on message boards demanding people thank them.

What you are committing is a federal crime called stolen valor. And it's disgusting.

What's even more disgusting are the sheep on this board that believe your dribble. At least there's a few on here that see through it.

Reactions: Me and Rex
^^^Willy, I knew it was a bad idea for those Girl Scouts to do that outreach program in Iraq. Just glad you were there.

Thanks man. Anything to protect our capitalistic abilities for our citizens to sell those delicious cookies globally.

Reactions: awf
"While I agree that doctors are really helpful in diagnosing complex medical problems (Diseases, not injuries), paramedics and nurses are just as good as doctors in determining the extent of a physical injury. We don't just sustain, we can treat patients with more authority than nurses. Our protocol actually directs us to make a field diagnoses and treat it, without fancy imaging equipment. We don't call the doctor for orders like nurses have to, unless we want to do something outside our scope of practice. In some states paramedic can perform stitches with numbing medication right on the spot. Doctors have medicinal minds, but they are the only medical professionals who make diagnoses and treat them. I have never brought a patient into the ER without the doctor coming over and asking me and my partner what we thought was going on."

My wife is a Respiratory Therapist. Most of her friends are people in the medical field. About 75% think they know more than the doctors. It kills me when she invites the pompous A**holes over here. IF they knew so damn much then why are they minions instead of doctors? You are a nurse/paramedic, nothing more. Not a saint, not a hero.........just someone doing your job. I built/remodeled houses back in the day. What would those people do if I didn't build them a house to live in? What about the roofer that keeps you dry when it is raining? See..........they are just doing their job.....it doesn't make them a hero. Neither does working in the medical field. All this talk about saving people........try being the one that has to unplug a poor bastard from his life support............You need to get over yourself.......hero.

Last edited:
I never said or implied any of that.

A "deep confusion" is a fancy word for bruise. That's a fact, not an opinion. If you think playing with a bruise will cost him his future you're a fool.

I think that "deep confusion" is what you are experiencing.

Reactions: floatingyou
Being a firefighter/paramedic I don't have much sympathy for an athlete not participating because they had a bruise. Sue me.

Deep contusions are more serious in people 30+ to 40+ especially in joints where the joints mobility will be constricted by the pooling of blood, and hematomas can form. A young (16-17) athletic teenager is not someone who normally suffers these debilitating side effects. If he got a hematoma that would be understandable. But given his athleticism and age that is extremely unlikely.

Lol. Wow

"While I agree that doctors are really helpful in diagnosing complex medical problems (Diseases, not injuries), paramedics and nurses are just as good as doctors in determining the extent of a physical injury. We don't just sustain, we can treat patients with more authority than nurses. Our protocol actually directs us to make a field diagnoses and treat it, without fancy imaging equipment. We don't call the doctor for orders like nurses have to, unless we want to do something outside our scope of practice. In some states paramedic can perform stitches with numbing medication right on the spot. Doctors have medicinal minds, but they are the only medical professionals who make diagnoses and treat them. I have never brought a patient into the ER without the doctor coming over and asking me and my partner what we thought was going on."

My wife is a Respiratory Therapist. Most of her friends are people in the medical field. About 75% think they know more than the doctors. It kills me when she invites the pompous A**holes over here. IF they knew so damn much then why are they minions instead of doctors? You are a nurse/paramedic, nothing more. Not a saint, not a hero.........just someone doing your job. I built/remodeled houses back in the day. What would those people do if I didn't build them a house to live in? What about the roofer that keeps you dry when it is raining? See..........they are just doing their job.....it doesn't make them a hero. Neither does working in the medical field. All this talk about saving people........try being the one that has to unplug a poor bastard from his life support............You need to get over yourself.......hero.
When did I say I knew more than a doctor? When did I say I saved anyone? When did I call myself a hero?

I never said any of those things.

All I said was, it doesn't take a doctor to call a bruis, a bruise.

Last edited:

I'm not bragging. But I wouldn't exactly equate building a house or roof to bringing someone back from death with CPR and ACLS protocol.

Neither would I equate those professions to going into a fire and trying to pull people out alive (the odds are slim at best).

Just like I wouldn't compare my job to the job of someone in the military. Fires are dangerous, but they're not out kill me.

Zion is waiting to see what the UK quartet of forwards does.

If half of them leave - as expected - Cal will land this kid.
I would be shocked if JV or Knox are back as they are seen as lotto or close to it now. PJ will be by next spring and Gabriel will probably leave too as I expect him to succeed this season and show enough. I think our class next season will be bigger then expected though I do think Green and Alexander ( along with Baker ) are all here a 2nd year at least.

ADVERTISEMENT