ADVERTISEMENT

Livingston…why no second half minutes

It’s different rules for different players

Bryce Hopkins says Hello
Today on CBS studio show they showed highlights of Providence/Villanova. At the end, summing up the teams, Kellogg says (about Providence) “and they have a game changer in Bryce Hopkins”

One of the biggest failures of Cal. Running off guys for the next 5 star. When Cal intentionally builds a complete roster it will be the first time.

Yeah, it is frustrating when one can see it coming. Livingston in a Ohio State uni next year? That would be sickening. Might be in the league but hopefully one more year to develop here.

Okay, whatever you say. But it's obvious we are watching a totally different game.
No, we just have a different understanding of the game. If those stats meant anything, they would be turned into points by having him take more shots. The fact that he only averages 5.3-points per game tells you that he doesn't take more shots during games because he nor Cal believes he will consistently make them.

37% three point shooter, 88% FT shooter. Do you ever check stats before you open your mouth an make a fool out of yourself? He doesn't score much because he doesn't play much.
You need to learn how to interpret stats. Those percentages are fool's goal when you consider they produce only 5.3-points per game.

100 percent accurate statement.
The last time I looked winners and losers of games are determined by scoring and not by percentages. Hell, if I take one shot and hit it, I just shot 100% for the game. However, I only scored 2 points, so who cares unless it was the winning shot? If I walked around talking about my 100% field goal percentage, people would be impressed until I told them that I only took one shot and average 2-points per game.

Last edited:
First five...OT Wallace Reese. Livingston. Toppin
Subs in order...Thiero Frederick Oneyso Wheeler Ware. Would love to know what Collins's situation is.
CCC ran off Hopkins(just like he's doing Livingston and probably one more) and let SS and his posse punk him and our program. NEVER let that get lost in this situation.

Yep. Sometimes I wonder what people are watching.
All some can see is that Livingston scored 8 points. You completely ignore that his average is only 5.3. You act like Livingston was going to magically play as he hasn't played all season even when we were playing bad teams. You seem incapable of seeing how he scored the points and seeing that KU had changed their defense to prevent future scoring in that way. If you recall, we started the game looking like we were ready to take KU to the woodshed. Unfortunately for us, KU has a coach capable of making in-game adjustments and UK's coach can't. KU's adjustments had shutdown Livingston's early burst of scoring which is why he had consecutive turnovers trying to drive to the basket when there was no driving lane. There is nothing in Livingston's past performance that should have given anyone reasons to believe that Livingston was going to continue playing the way he did early in the game. The team would have been better served with Oscar, Toppin, Wallace, Reeves, and CJ on the court. Even if CJ isn't hitting his shots, he forces the defense to come out to guard him which opens things up for Oscar. Livingston isn't capable of doing that because his scoring comes from down low which makes it difficult for Oscar to perform down low.

Really wish someone would ask cal what he was hoping to accomplish with the combo of wheeler/CJ/ware/toppin/and Livingston.

Cal will never understand that anytime wheeler comes in the game it has to be for a 2-3 minute stretch and that’s it. He always leaves him in for about a 6-8 minute stretch and the damage is done.
Also he better have 2-3 shooter with him and go small or else they will sag and play 4 on 5 defense.

Dude needs to give it up. He had a good half and deserved more time in the second half. Cal even admitted it.

Hopkins quit. He wasn’t run off. He’s a quitter.

Y’all can love on a quitter all you want.

Your Providence team is going nowhere.

Reactions: Chitown Terry
I am not talking about minutes played. I am talking about number of shots. Most of the time he is just taking up space on the court and not doing too much of anything.
Look we get it pards. You don’t like Livingston. Let it go before you have a stroke. Geez.

Ugonna should get every one of Ware’s minutes the rest of the season. Time for him to develop and contribute. He is so much better than Ware.

Reactions: rob_47
Today on CBS studio show they showed highlights of Providence/Villanova. At the end, summing up the teams, Kellogg says (about Providence) “and they have a game changer in Bryce Hopkins”

One of the biggest failures of Cal. Running off guys for the next 5 star. When Cal intentionally builds a complete roster it will be the first time.

It's ironic you posted this on a 'Livingston isn't getting enough minutes thread'. We could be looking at this exact scenario next year with Livingston.

Toppin and Collins coming back are what led to Hopkins leaving and Collins isn't even playing this year either. Hopkins didn't look like a guy that could beat out Brooks or Toppin for minutes last year. Some people just play better for different coaches like Tshiebwe with Calipari.

Cal just said he should have played livingston more in the 2nd half. I thought he didnt play at all as the box score I see says DNP in the 2nd half...... so yeah, playing him 10 seconds would have been playing him more.

seriously, this is like the what.. 10th time this has happened with a player? Someone at UK , do something about UK , he's losing his mental faculties. there's no other explanation
According to COW, the fans are supposed to remind him! Bruiser is concentrating on chewing his gum and cannot be bothered, only Chin and Ulis seems to try coaching the players. The rest of the assistant‘s task seems to be occupying a chair.

Livingston got beat weakside cut for a dunk and was yanked. There are several other guys who do as bad if not worse that don't get punished. Biggest sequence in game--UK has it down to 1 pt, everything is going well--they are playing good defense, getting late in clock and Toppin allows Oscar to switch on Wilson and gets splashed right in his face of course. That was THE SHOT in my opinion that ended the game. Know there was a lot of time, but at no point after that made shot did I think Cats had a chance to win that game.

My issues on the sequence are simple:

1. Senior who is a defensive guy switches off for 0 reason-his assignment was Wilson and he had done a nice job for the most part when defending him of making him work.

2. In today's basketball you always run shooters off the 3--better to give up the 2 pt shot attempt/make because that means you keep it a 1 possession game. UK ALWAYS seems to let the guy have space and shoot the 3.

3. Oscar is one of the worst defensive players to ever play at Kentucky for Calipari. He doesn't do anything well defending his man or switching off. His best attribute is he'll deflect or get some steals with good anticipation but he has his hands down--doesn't close hard to make a player go off the dribble and part of that is him wanting to pad reb stats--if he goes short he can get back to get a rebound.

Brutal. It won't change either. But why would it? It's not demanded from the staff obviously.
I agree. Number 2 point is a huge pet peeve of mine. We gave up 3 crucial 3s last game and our hands weren’t even up while defending

We lost this game because we saw too much of him in the first half. Livingston isn't UK caliber and should never have come here. I notice that some laugh at my comments, but other than some open layups or dunks, what has he done offensively that justifies his minutes instead of Adou? He is averaging a lousy 5.3 points per game.
I like Theiro. A lot! And do wish he would play more, even though I'm not sure what position he is. While he is like a bull-in-a-china-shop at times, good things still mostly happen when he is on the floor. Some of those not noticed is this TO:Stl rate is 1.0, which is very good. And 1 STL every 16.2min, and 1 BLK every 32.3min are good. But 1 Foul every 6.9min is not good.

But I would NOT say Livingston isn't UK caliber. He is good enough to play at any school. But he is also not a OAD caliber! But honestly, there should only be 5-10 OADs each year.

But since you cite his 5.3 ppg, while that is lower than most hoped and expected. It does not tell the whole story. First of all he averages only 16.2mpg. So his per30min averages are 9.9pts, 5.0reb. While Theiro's per30min averages, vs mostly lesser competition, are 7.4pts, 5.9reb. But yeah, I'd like to see him closer to 12 & 7. He has made 43%/36.7%/87.5%. That last # is one we should take advantage of, with him driving hard to the rim (not pulling up 8' away) to get fouled. His 2pt-FG% is 46%, again with fewer pull ups that would go up. I loved how he played offensively the first 8 minutes Saturday (minus the airball 3 and then his reluctance from outside after that).

FR forwards (SF or 'tweener' F) per30min averages at UK:
Jones 14.9, 8.4
MKG 11.5, 7.2
Poythress 13.1, 7.0
Young 13.3, 4.0
Lyles 11.3, 6.8
Gabriel 7.8, 8.2
Knox 14.4, 5.0
PJW 11.9, 6.3
Johnson 13.1, 5.7
Brooks 8.8, 6.3
Whitney 7.8, 4.0
Juzang 7.2, 4.7
Boston 11.4, 4.4
Clarke 10.1, 2.8
Livingston 9.9, 5.0

So yes, your comments are stupid.

37% three point shooter, 88% FT shooter. Do you ever check stats before you open your mouth an make a fool out of yourself? He doesn't score much because he doesn't play much.
11-30 and he's not shooting the three unless there's no way making an effort to guard him. Don't care about arguing playing time, but at some point if he wants to be known as shooter then he will have to shoot. His strength is getting to the rim, and when his defender isn't guarding him tight he typically can't get past them. He turned down a lot of good looks on Saturday.

Also I'm not mad at a coach that is looking back at what he could've done to win. Cal stuck with the idea of keeping 2 shooters on the court pretty much the entire game. At one point he played 3. It just comes down to your guys need to make shots. UK had the better shot quality all game. Kansas hit the most shots. Sometimes a guy like Jalen Wilson just can't be stopped. When the time was winding down he scored 8 huge points.

Reactions: Chitown Terry
11-30 and he's not shooting the three unless there's no way making an effort to guard him. Don't care about arguing playing time, but at some point if he wants to be known as shooter then he will have to shoot. His strength is getting to the rim, and when his defender isn't guarding him tight he typically can't get past them. He turned down a lot of good looks on Saturday.

Also I'm not mad at a coach that is looking back at what he could've done to win. Cal stuck with the idea of keeping 2 shooters on the court pretty much the entire game. At one point he played 3. It just comes down to your guys need to make shots. UK had the better shot quality all game. Kansas hit the most shots. Sometimes a guy like Jalen Wilson just can't be stopped. When the time was winding down he scored 8 huge points.
I don't agree with that. It wasn't like KU was leaving him alone. He could have forced a couple of contested threes, but he chose not too.

I like Theiro. A lot! And do wish he would play more, even though I'm not sure what position he is. While he is like a bull-in-a-china-shop at times, good things still mostly happen when he is on the floor. Some of those not noticed is this TO:Stl rate is 1.0, which is very good. And 1 STL every 16.2min, and 1 BLK every 32.3min are good. But 1 Foul every 6.9min is not good.

But I would NOT say Livingston isn't UK caliber. He is good enough to play at any school. But he is also not a OAD caliber! But honestly, there should only be 5-10 OADs each year.

But since you cite his 5.3 ppg, while that is lower than most hoped and expected. It does not tell the whole story. First of all he averages only 16.2mpg. So his per30min averages are 9.9pts, 5.0reb. While Theiro's per30min averages, vs mostly lesser competition, are 7.4pts, 5.9reb. But yeah, I'd like to see him closer to 12 & 7. He has made 43%/36.7%/87.5%. That last # is one we should take advantage of, with him driving hard to the rim (not pulling up 8' away) to get fouled. His 2pt-FG% is 46%, again with fewer pull ups that would go up. I loved how he played offensively the first 8 minutes Saturday (minus the airball 3 and then his reluctance from outside after that).

FR forwards (SF or 'tweener' F) per30min averages at UK:
Jones 14.9, 8.4
MKG 11.5, 7.2
Poythress 13.1, 7.0
Young 13.3, 4.0
Lyles 11.3, 6.8
Gabriel 7.8, 8.2
Knox 14.4, 5.0
PJW 11.9, 6.3
Johnson 13.1, 5.7
Brooks 8.8, 6.3
Whitney 7.8, 4.0
Juzang 7.2, 4.7
Boston 11.4, 4.4
Clarke 10.1, 2.8
Livingston 9.9, 5.0

So yes, your comments are stupid.
And you wasted your time with those stats because after doing all of your weekend homework Livingston's points per game average is still under 6 points per game. Trying to inflate his contributions to the team is really stupid.

And you wasted your time with those stats because after doing all of your weekend homework Livingston's points per game average is still under 6 points per game. Trying to inflate his contributions to the team is really stupid.
You really are an ignorant ****.

I simply PROVED my point, and that you are WRONG. There is no "inflation". Is it to hard for you to understand a guy playing 16mpg is not going to score like a guy playing 32mpg? Surely you aren't that dumb. A player can only contribute as much as the coach allows. Which going back to your idea of playing Theiro more (which I agree with), using your own FLAWED logic (that Livingston must suck since only averages 5.3ppg), then you must (stupidly) think Theiro REALLY SUCKS BAD since he only averages 1.1 ppg!!!!! Of course we all know that is because Cal has not given him the chance to score more (only 4.6 mpg). But you said don't inflate stats (by adjusting to minutes played).

And as for interpreting STATS, that's what I do for a living, and could do that in circles night and day over your ignorant ****.

You need to learn how to interpret stats. Those percentages are fool's goal when you consider they produce only 5.3-points per game.
Lol 😂 😂 😂, you telling someone else how to interpret stats.
I am a professional advanced degree statistician for 30 years. You are freakin clueless!!!!!!!

Lol 😂 😂 😂, you telling someone else how to interpret stats.
I am a professional advanced degree statistician for 30 years. You are freakin clueless!!!!!!!
You might be what you claim to be, but I doubt it. However, it doesn't take someone with an advanced degree to realize that 5.3-points per game isn't something to brag about. Maybe you should try using common sense. It might work for you. Lol

Really wish someone would ask cal what he was hoping to accomplish with the combo of wheeler/CJ/ware/toppin/and Livingston.

Cal will never understand that anytime wheeler comes in the game it has to be for a 2-3 minute stretch and that’s it. He always leaves him in for about a 6-8 minute stretch and the damage is done.
No doubt. With Wheeler and Ware you're basically playing 3 on 5 offensively. Beyond puzzling why he continues to play that lineup.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT