ADVERTISEMENT

Listen up bro's

morgousky

All-American
Sep 5, 2009
First let's let go of the Calipari hot seat talk. There are only a handful of coaches today who can coach here, most of those are already at blue bloods or programs they aren't leaving. Anyone we hired would be a risk at this point, Cal is still one of the only sure bets. 8 years, 4 final fours, title. At the end of the day it is what it is. I think everyone should cool it on that and think. We aren't there yet.

This board has had this coming. For over two years there have been posters trying to say exactly what we are witnessing. I'm no insider, but I was hearing Cal is having trouble with these recruits for a while, and that was coming from the AAU circuit where I'm from. I am friends with a few coaches and participated on the circuit in a small role in the late 2000's. Not one are surprised with our position as of this morning.

Kentucky's gamble backfired, and for those that think these players do not care about college and winning, you just got your first shot to the gut. Not every recruit will look past success (Bamba), and it doesn't matter how good they are. Real winners want to win regardless of anything else. K is selling that, Kentucky is selling the Lakers. When it was evident that pitch was no longer working, we turned to insanity. Just keep doing it.

Kentucky has more to offer than Duke, we have an entire state behind our program with vast resources and connections that is much deeper with a richer and older tradition. Why Cal decided he didn't need to use that, I don't know. We have promoted a very self centered environment and it's turned people off. Kids leave when they have no business leaving, our roster thinned out, top kids that wanted to win and be a part of something special didn't see it at UK. Others like Kennard were afraid they'd be pushed out early. We need a slight culture change, at least curve it.

I know it's hard for some to swallow that, we've got several who just simply couldn't comprehend a world where a kid would choose another option other than money and individual greed. They can both work together, equally. Just like skilled basketball players and talent. They can work together equally. Cal went all in toward one direction. Big mistake.

Recruit to UK, explain the history and what you want to accomplish for the program, they already know you won't hold them back if they're ready. The 20189 class wanted to win, they didn't need Cal to get them to the NBA. And if that's not important, Cal is useless compared to others right now. He spends little time recruiting "UK".

Nike is a huge problem, and again some have been expressing this for sometime. Our assistants have to go, or at least a total shakeup. I'm now on board with Barbee's exit. He cannot handle his position. Also It's my personal opinion that our compliance is and has been a problem. But that's a topic for another day.

Calipari is more than capable of becoming a college coach again, and I do say again because think he quit doing that when he came to Kentucky (somewhat). Cal was excellent at evaluation, and I think it's evident at this point that he's stopped evaluating as he once did. Throw away the top 25 rankings, pick up a note pad, and get out there recruiting. You can still sign top players.

I've people I consider friends on this board, and Im telling you guys, fans care more about the program than Cals record. They are beginning to look past the accomplishments because they feel that Kentucky has become an afterthought and that the program is becoming disrespected. There is a reason the fans appreciate and remember 1992 more than championship teams. I sometimes think Cal doesn't understand that, and I think a minority of our fans don't either.

Cal can get this right. He has a legacy at UK with a winning record to recruit with. Start recruiting Calipari, Kentucky, and family as much as the next level; the next level is just the next goal. Talk about the goal they are chasing today, college basketball.

That's what I got. I love Calipari and feel terrible for him right now. He needs our support more than he's ever needed it. I'm sure he's pissed at several issues surrounding the past few years, probably more than us. All great coaches ADJUST. All great coaches had bad stretches and made changes. If Cal is who we think he is, a GOAT, he will follow suit.

I don't think I've stopped drinking since yesterday at 5.

I hear ya but is riding the 2015 title then?
Because he has lost to 15 seeds twice and a 14 seed in recent memory, and last year was a total shit show. He has an embarrassing 2nd round loss as one of title favorites and the turns around a signs Bagley, Cam, Rj and zion In 5 months.

First let's let go of the Calipari hot seat talk. There are only a handful of coaches today who can coach here, most of those are already at blue bloods or programs they aren't leaving. Anyone we hired would be a risk at this point, Cal is still one of the only sure bets. 8 years, 4 final fours, title. At the end of the day it is what it is. I think everyone should cool it on that and think. We aren't there yet.

This board has had this coming. For over two years there have been posters trying to say exactly what we are witnessing. I'm no insider, but I was hearing Cal is having trouble with these recruits for a while, and that was coming from the AAU circuit where I'm from. I am friends with a few coaches and participated on the circuit in a small role in the late 2000's. Not one are surprised with our position as of this morning.

Kentucky's gamble backfired, and for those that think these players do not care about college and winning, you just got your first shot to the gut. Not every recruit will look past success (Bamba), and it doesn't matter how good they are. Real winners want to win regardless of anything else. K is selling that, Kentucky is selling the Lakers. When it was evident that pitch was no longer working, we turned to insanity. Just keep doing it.

Kentucky has more to offer than Duke, we have an entire state behind our program with vast resources and connections that is much deeper with a richer and older tradition. Why Cal decided he didn't need to use that, I don't know. We have promoted a very self centered environment and it's turned people off. Kids leave when they have no business leaving, our roster thinned out, top kids that wanted to win and be a part of something special didn't see it at UK. Others like Kennard were afraid they'd be pushed out early. We need a slight culture change, at least curve it.

I know it's hard for some to swallow that, we've got several who just simply couldn't comprehend a world where a kid would choose another option other than money and individual greed. They can both work together, equally. Just like skilled basketball players and talent. They can work together equally. Cal went all in toward one direction. Big mistake.

Recruit to UK, explain the history and what you want to accomplish for the program, they already know you won't hold them back if they're ready. The 20189 class wanted to win, they didn't need Cal to get them to the NBA. And if that's not important, Cal is useless compared to others right now. He spends little time recruiting "UK".

Nike is a huge problem, and again some have been expressing this for sometime. Our assistants have to go, or at least a total shakeup. I'm now on board with Barbee's exit. He cannot handle his position. Also It's my personal opinion that our compliance is and has been a problem. But that's a topic for another day.

Calipari is more than capable of becoming a college coach again, and I do say again because think he quit doing that when he came to Kentucky (somewhat). Cal was excellent at evaluation, and I think it's evident at this point that he's stopped evaluating as he once did. Throw away the top 25 rankings, pick up a note pad, and get out there recruiting. You can still sign top players.

I've people I consider friends on this board, and Im telling you guys, fans care more about the program than Cals record. They are beginning to look past the accomplishments because they feel that Kentucky has become an afterthought and that the program is becoming disrespected. There is a reason the fans appreciate and remember 1992 more than championship teams. I sometimes think Cal doesn't understand that, and I think a minority of our fans don't either.

Cal can get this right. He has a legacy at UK with a winning record to recruit with. Start recruiting Calipari, Kentucky, and family as much as the next level; the next level is just the next goal. Talk about the goal they are chasing today, college basketball.

That's what I got. I love Calipari and feel terrible for him right now. He needs our support more than he's ever needed it. I'm sure he's pissed at several issues surrounding the past few years, probably more than us. All great coaches ADJUST. All great coaches had bad stretches and made changes. If Cal is who we think he is, a GOAT, he will follow suit.

Aren’t we a Nike school as well ?

Sorry, I cannot agree and the reason is because I often read the articles that quote the recruits and why they choose to go where they go. Let's talk about Zion, since he is the hot topic right now. Here is his take on why he chose Duke:

(Among the reasons, Williamson opted for the Blue Devils? Current Duke signee Tre Jones.

"Tre Jones came to me before the USA training camp and said 'Zion, Duke's the place for you. It's a brotherhood. We all have the same dreams of going to the next level. Learning under coach K, the most legendary coach ever and you can learn so much from him.'" )

Like it or not, Duke's recent title and K's overall prominence in the media have Duke the hot school to prepare kids for the pros. Facts really are not relevant in this discussion. It is all about perception for these kids.

I don’t agree with a lot of what you said. I don’t think Cals pitch is “the Lakers”. I don’t think Cal de-emphasizes winning to players, at least not to the extent that it turns them off. I think Cals pitch is more or less the same as Dukes pitch: come play for a blue blood for a year and compete for a title, then get drafted extremely high. Duke is just doing it better now.

I do agree with your ultimate conclusion though, that the staff needs a face lift.

I hear ya but is riding the 2015 title then?
Because he has lost to 15 seeds twice and a 14 seed in recent memory, and last year was a total shit show. He has an embarrassing 2nd round loss as one of title favorites and the turns around a signs Bagley, Cam, Rj and zion In 5 months.

Nike is a big part of it for Duke, for UK it's more complex.

- We recruit the same players as Duke, that's why we're connected.
- Nike is selling Duke
- certain targets feared our system, and the Kentucky effect started reeling in fringe prospects who cant contribute for UK today but wont stay long enough to matter, while Duke sold Duke with Nike influencing the decision for business.
- because of different factors we waisted a ton of time recruiting guys we were not ever going to get and so we're thinned out, Duke looks unstoppable. Recruits perk up.

Sorry, I cannot agree and the reason is because I often read the articles that quote the recruits and why they choose to go where they go. Let's talk about Zion, since he is the hot topic right now. Here is his take on why he chose Duke:

(Among the reasons, Williamson opted for the Blue Devils? Current Duke signee Tre Jones.

"Tre Jones came to me before the USA training camp and said 'Zion, Duke's the place for you. It's a brotherhood. We all have the same dreams of going to the next level. Learning under coach K, the most legendary coach ever and you can learn so much from him.'" )

Like it or not, Duke's recent title and K's overall prominence in the media have Duke the hot school to prepare kids for the pros. Facts really are not relevant in this discussion. It is all about perception for these kids.

I'm not the sharpest tool, you'd have to explain better where you disagree. I don't see it.

This is why the OP is the best.
that_was_awesome_tommy_boy.gif

I don’t agree with a lot of what you said. I don’t think Cals pitch is “the Lakers”. I don’t think Cal de-emphasizes winning to players, at least not to the extent that it turns them off. I think Cals pitch is more or less the same as Dukes pitch: come play for a blue blood for a year and compete for a title, then get drafted extremely high. Duke is just doing it better now.

I do agree with your ultimate conclusion though, that the staff needs a face lift.

Too much of an oversimplification imo, coach K has alway had a reputation as a guy that makes younger guys earn their position. He had trouble landing quality big men, even after 3 championships. He was seen as hostile to the OAD in the early stages.

Should I list the players he's signed since? It's insane, and his reputation on these matters changed nearly overnight. Didn't take long.

I think it's more than just a binary problem and our culture needs a facelift in general.

Reactions: JC43
On the bright side, K is old, he isn't doing this much longer. Then Duke can go back to relative obscurity. They won't come close to replacing K.

One good thing about this is, I think he sold those recruits on that being his last year. That's a lot of publicity and a strong message to sell. It would make sense.

But he's a liar, he will keep doing it at least a year or two past that. I bet the next three classes are told they are his last year.

Last edited:

BEST POST EVER! Can this be sent to Cal?

If I'm a major D-1 college basketball player and I see all of the hype about Duke recruits, it would make me work that much harder to compete with these superstars. This is where coaching and motivation come into play. It pains me to say this but Pitino was a master motivator and got the most out of his players by instituting an system that made players "overachieve" his first few years when the talent level was not as good as the last couple.

Reactions: TNCatfanforever
Remember when the Cats fired Tubby? The media had a field day talking about how racist Kentucky fans are. Well, any talk of getting rid of Cal should prove one thing, our fans are not racist, they are just stupid.
I agree completely but that's not what he proposed either.

OP, one of if not the best post I’ve ever read on this board and that’s going back to 1999.

Reactions: kev69
Remember when the Cats fired Tubby? The media had a field day talking about how racist Kentucky fans are. Well, any talk of getting rid of Cal should prove one thing, our fans are not racist, they are just stupid.
[roll]

Remember, that comments made by future Duke players are talking points that their staff wants to get out to the public for future recruits.

Somewhere a while ago, Cal and Duke's staff have clearly ticked each other off and now despise each other. Cal's video on the hoverboard was a jab at Duke and now Duke is jabbing us back with how their recruits are announcing. I'd love to know what happened behind the scenes to start all of this off.

Real winners like Ben Simmons ?

Reactions: jameslee32
Too much of an oversimplification imo, coach K has alway had a reputation as a guy that makes younger guys earn their position. He had trouble landing quality big men, even after 3 championships. He was seen as hostile to the OAD in the early stages.

Should I list the players he's signed since? It's insane, and his reputation on these matters changed nearly overnight. Didn't take long.

I think it's more than just a binary problem and our culture needs a facelift in general.

Again, that still is just Duke improving and changing their style more than anything Cal is doing that’s turning guys off. I think you’re off on saying that Kentucky has more to offer than duke. We can’t offer academic prestige. We can’t offer playing for arguably the GOAT.

Remember, that comments made by future Duke players are talking points that their staff wants to get out to the public for future recruits.

Somewhere a while ago, Cal and Duke's staff have clearly ticked each other off and now despise each other. Cal's video on the hoverboard was a jab at Duke and now Duke is jabbing us back with how their recruits are announcing. I'd love to know what happened behind the scenes to start all of this off.

Duke is full of snakes, and K is the true evil pos in the sport. He doesn't care about anyone, only himself. He uses any tactics necessary, there's always one sociopath who wins in sports, he's the one. There's no telling what the man did. Capel is his pet demon who uses dirt.

Bad guys finish first sometimes, it's true.

Exactly what many of us have said for 4-5 years.

Zimas with a shot of Heaven Hill?

Again, that still is just Duke improving and changing their style more than anything Cal is doing that’s turning guys off. I think you’re off on saying that Kentucky has more to offer than duke. We can’t offer academic prestige. We can’t offer playing for arguably the GOAT.

When you go from the go to guy for top 5 guys, to not even making their final 4 (zion), something is turning them off.

We totally disagree. And I'll take the info I have and believe that.

It's not just that simple though, I agree there.

I have a hard time believing coach K just woke up one day and threw fairy dust in the air, poof, my image has changed, they come.

The recent coup of recruits going to pUKe is Capel...he is more relatable to this recent group of Kids. Face it, UK has a huge negative, fanbase. Parents of these kids want two things, security and success.
A lot of these kid's parents are savvy and tech friendly. Our fans still live in the past while the rest of the country is up to date.
Recent snafus reveal a very small part of our fanbase, but their actions speak louder than our collective cheers.
This is a program that Rupp built. As great as he was, he still have some negatively associated with him. Our fanbase cannibalized one of our own, Ashley Judd. The remarks that were made about her we're not only horrible, racist, and downright sexist. For a lot of these parents who are aware of social justice as well as being apart of said movements, we still have a fanbase that proudly stands by Confederate flags. People may say that parents, recruits never check out the msg boards but if my child's future is involved...
I've been coming to this site for years, it's steadily progressed to one of negativity. Everyday in posts you see language that is questionable, use of monikers in place of racist terms, ie thugs..and now shitholes. Is a perfect example.
The most telling response from ZION, was 'joining a Brotherhood'...if you can't see what that really says, well, I see now what Capel is doing behind closed doors.
Food for thought. This is taking into events in the past year and the current state of America.

Reactions: shep21754

ALL Kentucky fans aren’t stupid. Why say that when it isn’t true ? We certainly have some bad fans but we’ve got more than our share of good fans that are smart and understand basketball.

Reactions: fabcat and lmhurst
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT