ADVERTISEMENT

Liggins: joining Pelicans is like a "family that reunited" and talks all-Kentucky lineup.

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
"What we're trying to do is basically just trying to corner the market on all Kentucky players," Gentry said jokingly.

"It feels like you're playing with your brothers," Liggins said. "I've been knowing them since years ago. We're all older now, we talk about some of the old stories at Kentucky. It feels like a family that reunited. ... It's a new opportunity to showcase my skills and what I can do. I'm just happy to be here."

Gentry alluded to the idea of playing Liggins alongside Rondo, Miller, Davis and Cousins in an "All-Kentucky" lineup at some point, and Liggins said it would be "unbelievable" if that ever happened.

"That would be crazy," Liggins said. "That's something that a lot of people would be talking about. It's a good chance it might happen, depending on matchups. But I just want to show what I can add to the team and how I fit in with what they're doing."

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.ssf/2018/01/deandre_liggins_says_joining_t.html

There was a thread started not too long ago asking folks to name their favorite "non-star type" UK player.

I neglected to do so at the time, so I'd like to take this opportunity to add DeAndre to my list. Always did love his bulldog mentality, esp. on the defensive end. A nightmare matchup for just about every opponent's top perimeter threat. Hope he sticks w/ NO, and does well.

There was a thread started not too long ago asking folks to name their favorite "non-star type" UK player.

I neglected to do so at the time, so I'd like to take this opportunity to add DeAndre to my list. Always did love his bulldog mentality, esp. on the defensive end. A nightmare matchup for just about every opponent's top perimeter threat. Hope he sticks w/ NO, and does well.

Pretty remarkable that Liggins’ career has outlasted Goodwin, Young, Aaron Harrison, Orton, and Lamb – all guys who were top 20 recruits (some were top 10 guys coming out of high school).

Liggins was a guy who some fans on this message board actually advocated for being cut when Cal came and trimmed the roster. I remember it clearly. I’m happy for him. He’s had a pretty difficult life and he’s still working hard.

We don't make it to the Final Four in 2011 without Liggins. Wish we had a defensive stopper like DeAndre right now !

Reactions: Fox2monk

If you don't love Liggins as a basketball player, you don't love basketball

Reactions: ib4ky
Pretty remarkable that Liggins’ career has outlasted Goodwin, Young, Aaron Harrison, Orton, and Lamb – all guys who were top 20 recruits (some were top 10 guys coming out of high school).

Liggins was a guy who some fans on this message board actually advocated for being cut when Cal came and trimmed the roster. I remember it clearly. I’m happy for him. He’s had a pretty difficult life and he’s still working hard.

He was BCG's highest rated recruit and I remember he was even trotted out as our point guard early in his first season, TV announcers were saying he was a star in the making when we went into WV and then Liggens was exposed as no DI point guard. Instead of crashing and burning, he put in the survivor effort to find a niche with a new coach as a defensive stopper who could hit the spot up three. Such a great run he had on that Brandon Knight, harrelson team.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
I don't really get the point outside of just saying it happened. It certainly wouldn't be a common lineup anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT