ADVERTISEMENT

Liam Coen Post-Practice Presser 4/13/21

Coen talks a lot about Clevan Thomas. He was someone who seemed to make the most out of the little opportunity he's had the last couple of seasons.

I don't know what to make of that, and don't think you can put too much into spring talk, but he does seem like a solid upperclassmen.

Just anxious to see how the QB and WR thing shakes out. We got a lot of WRs. Outside of Ali and Wandale, I have no idea what we'll look like there. I know some of our young guys will step up, can't wait to see who it is.

Last edited:
Nobody knows?
I agree with that. CMS has that physical power run game in his DNA, it seems. We wont see Alabama, Leach or Kiffen football. I dont know if Coach Stoops heart (or mine) could stand a lot of those run and gun games. Biggest thing I've read (and I was taken aback) was that no one had really worked with the quarterbacks on their footwork, stance, you name it. I know we seem to have a lotta success with the dual purpose guys but if we don't have LBjr back their as quarterback we really need at least a threat of a passing game. I just hope to see more balance.

I don't see how you can't be excited about this guy. He's obviously very smart. The specific examples he discussed around coaching fundamentals make me feel like our offense will be quite a bit better next season.

Iirc clevan was a guy they were really high on as a freshman. Then lynn beat him out at slot and he only finally reappeared last year. Hopefully he gets his chance.

Sounds like we're still having issues with the qb/c exchange and laying the ball on the ground there. That absolutely must be erased. It's the most basic yet most important play in all of football.

He definitely sounds confident he can really exploit splits and formations. I think he can too I just hope it's at the rate his confidence suggests. The talent gap in the nfl is pretty narrow but can't say the same for college. Talent disparity can overcome schematics on many occasions.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
I don't see how you can't be excited about this guy. He's obviously very smart. The specific examples he discussed around coaching fundamentals make me feel like our offense will be quite a bit better next season.
Agreed..... I’m a little bit confused really by that line of thinking. Everything about the team is well rounded, well positioned. The main thing that has been lacking, has been the ability to throw the ball consistently when we need to. The entire offensive staff has been overhauled to address that. Yet some think it’s mere window dressing to placate the fans. Mind numbing!

Coen talks a lot about Clevan Thomas. He was someone who seemed to make the most out of the little opportunity he's had the last couple of seasons.

I don't know what to make of that, and don't think you can put too much into spring talk, but he does seem like a solid upperclassmen.

Just anxious to see how the QB and WR thing shakes out. We got a lot of WRs. Outside of Ali and Wandale, I have no idea what we'll look like there. I know some of our young guys will step up, can't wait to see who it is.

This may not be popular, but I have never been all that impressed by Clevan. Maybe I have overlooked some of his qualities or maybe he wasn’t put in the best position to succeed. It isn’t like he is a dud but I figured he would have been passed up by now. Good for him for showing out!

As you said, I am eager to see how the WR position comes along. It will certainly help if we have a QB and system that puts our offense in a position to be successful. I am optimistic after listening to Coen. He seems to be a great hire at this point and I am eager to see how things shake out.

Thanks for the life lesson. I thought we were talking football. As it pertains to UK Football, I prefer the glass half full. To each their own though.
FYI, half full & half empty is the same place.

Still comes down to whether CMS tells him to run on 3rd & 3, or not, up 5 in the 4th with 2-4 minutes to go on our 35-40 yard line.

We don't have a clue yet what the play calling will be...we all thought it would be different under Brown, Dawson and Gran , but it was all the same despite the background of each oc.
We threw for 2700 yards with Towles at QB in Neal Browns 2nd season. We had balance just had a shitty roster. Gran scrapped the passing game in favor for the run because he had no QBs that could throw 40 times a game once Barker got hurt.

We threw for 2700 yards with Towles at QB in Neal Browns 2nd season. We had balance just had a shitty roster. Gran scrapped the passing game in favor for the run because he had no QBs that could throw 40 times a game once Barker got hurt.
Yeah, I think some will always look for an alternative explanation until they are proven wrong. Towles throwing for over 2,700 yards was really pretty amazing in retrospect. He threw for just over 1,700 yards in his senior year at BC. I would like to know which QB under Stoops anyone thinks should have put up big passing numbers. I will hang up and listen.

Good to hear he thinks he can create mismatches on the college field to help UK.
This shows me we should have something to be excited about in hopefully years to come with our offence.

I think we are going to move the chains through the air.
If we can spread the field out with a higher percentage air game dude this should open up the run game for more explosive high yardage runs...

I personally cant wait to be at a good tailgate and my butt in those seats at Kroger field watching our CATS.

This may not be popular, but I have never been all that impressed by Clevan. Maybe I have overlooked some of his qualities or maybe he wasn’t put in the best position to succeed. It isn’t like he is a dud but I figured he would have been passed up by now. Good for him for showing out!

As you said, I am eager to see how the WR position comes along. It will certainly help if we have a QB and system that puts our offense in a position to be successful. I am optimistic after listening to Coen. He seems to be a great hire at this point and I am eager to see how things shake out.
I don't know how you can judge any wide receiver on this team when all they have done is block instead of running routes and catching passes. It took a few minutes to get the couch out of my butt when Lynn made that pass in the Belk bowl. Just saying not complaining.

You can't listen to the guy and NOT be excited about the upcoming season. Frankly, I'm excited and was glad for the change. I hated losing Gran, he seemed like a great guy and the team and staff loved him, but a change was needed. Hinshaw should have been fired 2 years ago.

If they get a 70% effective QB this season, I think they will do great things. Frustrated me to no end how opposing teams could throw to wide open guys and the Cats always seemed double-covered. Makes me think scheme was a big part of the offensive deficiencies as well. What works in the AAC don't necessarily work in the SEC.

I was surprised that he was saying they had to teach fundamentals. Sounds like prior guys weren’t working at all with the receivers and backs in pass game fundamentals.
Not the first time he's said something like this, either. The first interview I saw he mentioned that the QBs were working on footwork and timing and basic fundamentals. As I posited before, maybe we didn't see much improvement in the QB room year over year because our QB coach wasn't very good.

Kyle Tucker had a post on The Athletic today or yesterday that said his "moles at the football office" say the starter as of today at QB would be Gatewood. He's winning the two-man competition versus Allen this spring.
As I stated in other threads on this topic, this doesn't surprise me. The 'system' we ran previously did not put JG (or anyone, for that matter) in a good position to succeed as a QB. I truly believe that both BA and JG have the physical talents to run this new system effectively, although not quite in the same manner. But a system that puts the QB on the move, has built-in completions schemed in, looks for mismatches to exploit, uses play action to take advantage of a very strong running game, etc. has to be more conducive to JG's physical talents than our previous system. Before all is said and done, I look for BA and Levis to push Gatewood and the team as a whole will benefit from the competition because whoever emerges will be in a very good position to excel.

I would also expect that all 3 QBs will see significant snaps throughout the year as I would expect a few more one-sided games that will allow a lot of players to see time. With our previous system, it was difficult to put teams away and, as a result, backup QBs had very little PT.

Reactions: sieken
I was surprised that he was saying they had to teach fundamentals. Sounds like prior guys weren’t working at all with the receivers and backs in pass game fundamentals.
Those kind of statements trouble me as well. BUT playing an advocate it may indicate that the fundamentals are the fundamentals of his new system. Routes, footwork, field position are probably different language than the prior crew. UK was a run heavy team and that served them well. I dont expect the team to go full out throw and go. I believe the passing game will gradually be worked in. We kind of need to think about the OLine as well. They are having to learn a new scheme from what I have read. All part of changing of the guard. It just depends how fast the players buy in and catch on to the new way of life.

may indicate that the fundamentals are the fundamentals of his new system

I think this is it. Taking snaps under center is a great example. Another is Rbs involved in the pass game via receiving and blocking. Those are things that just weren't part of the previous system

Not the first time he's said something like this, either. The first interview I saw he mentioned that the QBs were working on footwork and timing and basic fundamentals. As I posited before, maybe we didn't see much improvement in the QB room year over year because our QB coach wasn't very good.
Agree, very telling comments.

Going to be Gatewood - Allen needs to get stronger to make better throws especially out patterns

From other things that Coen has said, I think that he values very precise route runners. That is one area that Clevan may excel in.

Just a thought. None the less, if he is working hard, then I applaud his effort and wish him (and the offense, in general) the best.

I agree with that. CMS has that physical power run game in his DNA, it seems. We wont see Alabama, Leach or Kiffen football. I dont know if Coach Stoops heart (or mine) could stand a lot of those run and gun games. Biggest thing I've read (and I was taken aback) was that no one had really worked with the quarterbacks on their footwork, stance, you name it. I know we seem to have a lotta success with the dual purpose guys but if we don't have LBjr back their as quarterback we really need at least a threat of a passing game. I just hope to see more balance.
That's a odd statement about not working on footwork. Seems there was recent talk about being under center and the QB's were working on their footwork. With no outsiders being able to him to any practices I wonder how anyone knows what's going on. I imagine that we want see much of the total offense until we get into the SEC part of the schedule.

How many snaps did we take from under center the last 4 years? EVERYONE on the offense has to adjust their footwork and timing to drops from under center. Motions of the skill positions and the lime are all timed differently for different play actions.

If he said they didn't have to work on those things, I'd have said we're fkd heading into fall camp.

........ .......... ..........

If we have the depth of talent to abg 2.5-3 deep with guys that are SEC level starters on the defensive side of the roster after this fall, CMS isn't going to care how quickly we score points or run the offense. It's all situational. When we can consistetly get the same level of output at SEC level from our mostly (or half of our) 2nd team defense being in the game, it won't matter if we score on the first play of each drive.

When we can do that, I'm sure Stoops is gonna be fine with it, no matter what the negs need to believe.

As I stated in other threads on this topic, this doesn't surprise me. The 'system' we ran previously did not put JG (or anyone, for that matter) in a good position to succeed as a QB. I truly believe that both BA and JG have the physical talents to run this new system effectively, although not quite in the same manner. But a system that puts the QB on the move, has built-in completions schemed in, looks for mismatches to exploit, uses play action to take advantage of a very strong running game, etc. has to be more conducive to JG's physical talents than our previous system. Before all is said and done, I look for BA and Levis to push Gatewood and the team as a whole will benefit from the competition because whoever emerges will be in a very good position to excel.

I would also expect that all 3 QBs will see significant snaps throughout the year as I would expect a few more one-sided games that will allow a lot of players to see time. With our previous system, it was difficult to put teams away and, as a result, backup QBs had very little PT.

I’m surprised. Gatewood looked out of his depth and also too slow to be dual-use. Allen only had one drive. Whoever is best I’m happy to lead. QB play isn’t important to UKs record the last 15 years anyway relative to other positions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT