ADVERTISEMENT

Lewis Update

Lewis is personally torn with the decision, and was very solid Florida until recently. He is as invested in the relationships w Florida staff as the family.
I will say this about White- he has a very family oriented approach to his program and has the families all very connected and involved.
He does this from the moment he recruits to the final day of a kid’s career. The guy is huge on relationships and chemistry. You may remember he pulled the plug on armon Gates a few months ago — and it was because he wasn’t a fit.
As for klatsky - the dad is a Gator. He has been a big figure in Scottie’s basketball life - founded his aau program and brought him over to ranney. And the kid is a longtime best friend.
This isn’t a case of Scottie being pressured to go somewhere he doesn’t want. He is torn.
So the description you gave for White sounds a lot like our coach, you know Cal.

https://projects.nj.com/investigations/kingmaker/

"Lewis and Antoine — rated No. 6 and No. 7 nationally in the Class of 2019 by one recruiting service and projected as 2020 NBA Draft lottery picks by another — live with their families in homes owned by Klatsky or his parents, records show.

Lewis and family members moved into a fully renovated four-bedroom home in Hazlet that Klatsky purchased for $296,000, according to housing records. The home was bought in December 2013, about four months after Lewis began his association with Team Rio.

Since late 2016, records show, Antoine’s family has lived in a two-bedroom condo in Tinton Falls owned by Klatsky’s parents, Alan and Maxine. The Klatskys purchased the condo for $233,000 in July 2016, according to records.

Regine Antoine, Bryan’s mother, said his family pays $1,700 per month and Shavasha Smith, Lewis’ mother, said she pays market-rate rent. Brian and Alan Klatsky agreed they are paid fair-market rent and said they also rent to other families through various entities.

Speaking in a series of interviews that at times were combative, Klatsky, 45, said nothing nefarious is going on at Ranney, where tuition runs about $34,000 annually, according to the school website. (Dr. John Griffith, the Ranney head of school, would not address questions about tuition. However, Lewis’ mother said she receives financial aid and pays $1,000 a year. Antoine’s parents said they also receive a significant amount of financial aid.)

The Ranney players, including Klatsky’s son, a junior on the team, are actively involved with charities and considering attending Ivy League colleges.

“We have nothing to hide. There’s nothing here that is unusual,” Klatsky said. “Bryan Antoine and Scottie Lewis were kids that played locally and have been family friends for many years. Unfortunately, because they’re now successful, people want to try and create a story to sell newspapers.”

Depending on numerous factors, including whether the families are paying fair-market rent and other treatment, the arrangement could result in NCAA scrutiny regarding amateurism rules, said Bob Hurley Sr., the most decorated coach in New Jersey basketball history. Legal experts versed on NCAA compliance agreed."

:flushed: I hope Lewis becomes a Gator. :flushed:

"Lewis and Antoine — rated No. 6 and No. 7 nationally in the Class of 2019 by one recruiting service and projected as 2020 NBA Draft lottery picks by another — live with their families in homes owned by Klatsky or his parents, records show.

Lewis and family members moved into a fully renovated four-bedroom home in Hazlet that Klatsky purchased for $296,000, according to housing records. The home was bought in December 2013, about four months after Lewis began his association with Team Rio.

Since late 2016, records show, Antoine’s family has lived in a two-bedroom condo in Tinton Falls owned by Klatsky’s parents, Alan and Maxine. The Klatskys purchased the condo for $233,000 in July 2016, according to records.

Regine Antoine, Bryan’s mother, said his family pays $1,700 per month and Shavasha Smith, Lewis’ mother, said she pays market-rate rent. Brian and Alan Klatsky agreed they are paid fair-market rent and said they also rent to other families through various entities.

Speaking in a series of interviews that at times were combative, Klatsky, 45, said nothing nefarious is going on at Ranney, where tuition runs about $34,000 annually, according to the school website. (Dr. John Griffith, the Ranney head of school, would not address questions about tuition. However, Lewis’ mother said she receives financial aid and pays $1,000 a year. Antoine’s parents said they also receive a significant amount of financial aid.)

The Ranney players, including Klatsky’s son, a junior on the team, are actively involved with charities and considering attending Ivy League colleges.

“We have nothing to hide. There’s nothing here that is unusual,” Klatsky said. “Bryan Antoine and Scottie Lewis were kids that played locally and have been family friends for many years. Unfortunately, because they’re now successful, people want to try and create a story to sell newspapers.”

Depending on numerous factors, including whether the families are paying fair-market rent and other treatment, the arrangement could result in NCAA scrutiny regarding amateurism rules, said Bob Hurley Sr., the most decorated coach in New Jersey basketball history. Legal experts versed on NCAA compliance agreed."

I would suspect none of this a mystery to Cal and he is confident enough that it won't be a significant concern. He has a pretty good radar on who to avoid.

I would suspect none of this a mystery to Cal and he is confident enough that it won't be a significant concern. He has a pretty good radar on who to avoid.
source.gif

Where are the people trashing the OP like they do coach?

Why would I get trashed?

Because you're providing information that can't be proven.

Or maybe @TheAnonymous13 is merely focusing on one recruit as opposed to laying claim to "hearing" things regarding almost all of UK's targets over the last year or so? The guy is hearing info on a one recruit = different than a guy who lays claim to info for virtually everyone UK is involved with, especially when TA is offering a trend that isn't popular (Lewis to UK wasn't very popular a week ago, when TA started painting a new trend for him). Compare that with some others who post trends after they've already become favorable here, and there's your difference, at least from my perspective.

That said, nothing is certain with any of the info we're presented, and I gave some insiders a full year until I noticed a common trend with the info that was being shared. Let's not act like most folks, outside of one or two contrarians, were opposing some of the info-passers from the get go. I think most folks give a fair shake to those who share info. Most on the board still take all info passed in a respectful manner. I already know how @ThroughBlue and @GonzoCat90 feel regarding the information sharing. I respect your positions regarding a few posters in particular. I just don't share the same outlook.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Or maybe @TheAnonymous13 is merely focusing on one recruit as opposed to laying claim to "hearing" things regarding almost all of UK's targets over the last year or so? The guy is hearing info on a one recruit = different than a guy who lays claim to info for virtually everyone UK is involved with, especially when TA is offering a trend that isn't popular (Lewis to UK wasn't very popular a week ago, when TA started painting a new trend for him). Compare that with some others who post trends after they've already become favorable here, and there's your difference, at least from my perspective.

That said, nothing is certain with any of the info we're presented, and I gave some insiders a full year until I noticed a common trend with the info that was being shared. Let's not act like most folks, outside of one or two contrarians, were opposing some of the info-passers from the get go. I think most folks give a fair shake to those who share info. Most on the board still take all info passed in a respectful manner. I already know how @ThroughBlue and @GonzoCat90 feel regarding the information sharing. I respect your positions regarding a few posters in particular. I just don't share the same outlook.
One is as harmless as the others. Both are better than butters threads

One is as harmless as the others. Both are better than butters threads

True. I think we're dealing with a value judgment here in relation to the level of severity of responses.

I personally think the last round of responses was rather benign, all forms of message board banter considered.

As these arguments and debates usually go, to each their own.

None of this is new or not well known.

I think Klatsky has certainly created a situation that is favorable to moving these kids to Ranney, which was a perennial loser before his influence. But he has been very meticulous in doing so in a away that is "above board" and able to be documented. .

Reactions: CatfanMike47

I do not follow "coach" often, but have read some posts. I will say this - no one will be right all the time, regardless of connection. Heck, I am sure Cal has been surprised by the way some things have turned.

I have whiffed on here too - and that is bc things change.

I remember a year ago I corrected "coach" on a post that stated Bam was leaning toward returning. He was --- but a few weeks prior to Coach's post. At the time he commented, it was nearly assured he was gone. So I dont know if coach was "wrong" there, or just not current.

Anyway, everyone should read internet posts with a great degree of scrutiny. I never take offense if people call bs on anything I write. It is warranted skepticism on an internet message board.

Back to the topic - yes, Cal knows all about the Klatsky connection. All of the coaches who have recruited Scottie know about it. Brian has been to on many of the recruiting trips. It is also part of the reason Florida has had a perceived edge - as Brian has a degree from UF. I do not think anything shady is going on, as it is a good family.

I havent heard anything new on this. I was told Cal would have a final at-home late this week, so perhaps it makes sense he is in New York. But I cant confirm that.

I have given the OP a hard time in the past over sharing info as if it was 100% lock, when actually it was just what he was hearing at the time. I haven’t noticed that much lately, and I do think he gets legit info.

I would chalk up the confusion as a communication issue, whether on his end or mine, or some combination.

I have given the OP a hard time in the past over sharing info as if it was 100% lock, when actually it was just what he was hearing at the time. I haven’t noticed that much lately, and I do think he gets legit info.

I would chalk up the confusion as a communication issue, whether on his end or mine, or some combination.

I do remember that. And you were right.
I have made declarative comments, and should know better considering how much and how quickly things can change.
That may even be the case here, as this looked like a Florida lock a couple weeks ago, and even a time table seemed in place.
I should stay out of the business of projecting! Even if I have a good record, it’s the misses that are remembered. Well, that and when I infamously made the early call that Bamba was likely Texas bound. Bad news isn’t popular. Lol!
And truth be told - in recruiting, any definitive statement I’d make is just an educated opinion based upon what I know. But it’s still just an opinion.
Rarely would I be tipped off to an announcement.

Reactions: Aike

On a side note, how do you message someone on this forum?
I am not tech savvy! :)

On a side note, how do you message someone on this forum?
I am not tech savvy! :)

I don’t think we can use messaging unless we are paid members. I currently am not. If someone knows otherwise, I would like to hear it as well.

Can you imagine the pressure on a 16-17 year old kid who receives a house for his family because he plays basketball pretty well? So many things can go wrong when you're that age.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
I don’t think we can use messaging unless we are paid members. I currently am not. If someone knows otherwise, I would like to hear it as well.

Thanks.

I was going to message you non-declarative info on the subject. :)

Reactions: Aike
Here’s how I see it. If you’re wanting to go to the NBA as quickly as you can you go to a school that has a proven record of doing that with a coach you have a relationship with over two years(UK). If you want to go to school and get your degree and play with old teammates then he should choose (Florida). But, he’s thought of as an NBA talent and going to Florida for several years isn’t going to get him there as a lottery pick or even a first rounder. The thing most people don’t seem to bring up when discussing these players, yeah sure some of them probably would still get drafted but, are they prepared to come off the bench and in most cases they’re not even the most talented on their team. Coming to UK they play with and practice against other future NBA talent. So, once they get to the league they’re mentally prepared for what it takes to compete, do interviews, and the fans.

I disagree. If you’re good enough, he’s a lottery pick either place..

I disagree. If you’re good enough, he’s a lottery pick either place..
It isn’t whether he gets drafted. I’m sure he could from either school. But, he’ll be better prepared by Cal. And I no other fan base follows their former players like the Uk fan base.

I think Lewis will see the big picture. He has to make the right decision the prepares and gives him the exposure to proceed to the NBA. His college choice could end up being a multi-million dollar decision in the way in impacts his future. I think he knows that UK is the better option. The only concern would be if he feels he fits with the other incoming players, and the article said he and Maxey and Whitney talk all the time. To me, this is a no brainer. I think he ends up a Cat!

I’m not saying you’ve earned it or deserve it. Just questioning why some are

Coach is a liar. He has multiple accounts and goes back and forth. I must have really pissed him off because I seem to be the bone he's after the most. I'll get a message from some Icalledityeaa696969 any minute going off like a 3 year old.

Anonymous doesn't go after people and he doesn't have multiple accounts. He's not claiming to know everything. If you question his he's not coming at you with 8 accounts trolling the board.

That's why

Hope the info is solid would be nice to continue the recruiting run.

IIRC.. White was tremendous to start. Posters here talking about him being a potential get after Cal left and I was on board based on what I had seen. But then his team kept losing. What 3 or 4 in a row? Has a lot of promise for the future though.

That was just because of the love of 3 jacking it seems to me.

I'm neither enamored or negative on White really. Seems like he has some potential but nothing to be too excited about so far. I'm super wait and see.

ADVERTISEMENT