ADVERTISEMENT

Lewis Update

Feb 23, 2011
This has become more complicated and simple at the same time. The other 5 of his remaining 7 are obviously out and this is Kentucky/Florida.
Scottie really enjoyed his visit, especially a scrimmage he ran in.
He has some good synergy with the guys and has no concerns about his role or place. And he certainly likes the stage provided as a potential one year player.
On Florida’s side, it is all about relationships. White and Nichols have been on him for several years and very active and involved with family. Scottie has very strong relationship there and so do the parents. Tre Mann trying help here and the two connected during Scottie’s visit to Gainesville. Klatsky is obviously a factor. Alex is Scottie’s closet friend and teammate, and his dad founded the aau team and has been a mentor.
He has been active in Scottie’s recruitment and on recent visit. He leans obviosuly Florida and his kid took a preferred walk on spot last week- hoping his buddy will join.
White and Nichols return to gville today from a visit to NJ yesterday. No word on how it went.
I believe Cal will get the last crack here, with an in-home this late this week. That is not confirmed.
I’d have to think a decision soon follows.
What was a heavy Florida lean has changed to a real battle. It will come down to what Kentucky offers as a oad prospect versus white’s deep in roads and family relationships.

Last edited:
It seems to often go overlooked but Lewis was one of a small handful of 2019 players that Kentucky has been on for a longtime. While they don’t get aggressive as early as some it seems like I’ve seen Kentucky and Lewis mentioned together for at least a couple of years. Hoping that relationship is pretty strong too. Maybe not as personal, but certainly other benefits in place.

Here’s how I see it. If you’re wanting to go to the NBA as quickly as you can you go to a school that has a proven record of doing that with a coach you have a relationship with over two years(UK). If you want to go to school and get your degree and play with old teammates then he should choose (Florida). But, he’s thought of as an NBA talent and going to Florida for several years isn’t going to get him there as a lottery pick or even a first rounder. The thing most people don’t seem to bring up when discussing these players, yeah sure some of them probably would still get drafted but, are they prepared to come off the bench and in most cases they’re not even the most talented on their team. Coming to UK they play with and practice against other future NBA talent. So, once they get to the league they’re mentally prepared for what it takes to compete, do interviews, and the fans.

This has become more complicated and simple at the same time. The other 5 of his remaining 7 are obviously out and this is Kentucky/Florida.
Scottie really enjoyed his visit, especially a scrimmage he ran in.
He has some good synergy with the guys and has no concerns about his role or place. And he certainly likes the stage provided as a potential one year player.
On Florida’s side, it is all about relationships. White and Nichols have been on him for several years and very active and involved with family. Scottie has very strong relationship there and so do the parents. Tre Mann trying help here and the two connected during Scottie’s visit to Gainesville. Klatsky is obviously a factor. Alex is Scottie’s closet friend and teammate, and his dad founded the aau team and has been a mentor.
He has been active in Scottie’s recruitment and on recent visit. He leans obviosuly Florida and his kid took a preferred walk on spot last week- hoping his buddy will join.
White and Nichols return to gville today from a visit to yesterday. No word on how it went.
I believe Cal will get the last crack here, with an in-home this late this week. That is not confirmed.
I’d have to think a decision soon follows.
What was a heavy Florida lean has changed to a real battle. It will come down to what Kentucky offers as a oad prospect versus white’s deep in roads and family relationships.

Thanks for the update. Can you elaborate a little bit on how you are connected here?

Reactions: CatfanMike47
I've always been impressed with Mike White at Florida. This might be the first time we've had a recruiting contest with him, but it won't be the last... I predict he will replace Coach K at Duke, assuming Mike's dad has retired as athletic director. Write it down, you heard it here first. :)

Reactions: DanHalen88
Returning from a visit to yesterday.

Guess Florida has to send their players back in time to see them have tournament success now.

Reactions: travisbickle
Here's a link to the Zagsblog article from yesterday where all this info came from.

https://www.zagsblog.com/2018/09/18/scottie-lewis-down-to-kentucky-and-florida/

Yup- though I didn’t know of the text. That certainly seems positive.
I don’t believe the article mentioned, but I do believe Cal will have one last in-home over the next few days.

Also- white and Nichols were not there for Lewis AND klatsky. Lol.
They were there on the heels of Scottie’s visit. And it was not a previously planned trip.

Thanks for the link.

I’ve never heard of “flohoops” , but it had some good info. Is this a well known site?

Last edited:
I've always been impressed with Mike White at Florida. This might be the first time we've had a recruiting contest with him, but it won't be the last... I predict he will replace Coach K at Duke, assuming Mike's dad has retired as athletic director. Write it down, you heard it here first. :)

I was not impressed last year at all. That team had a lot of experience & returning talent & was soooo up & down. Bad coaching job in my opinion.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I was not impressed last year at all. That team had a lot of experience & returning talent & was soooo up & down. Bad coaching job in my opinion.

No inside game and a ton of injuries.
I think they lost 4 guys for the year.
But certainly an erratic team.

Hopefully is visit to UK will over have him thinking UK can get him better prepared for the NBA than at Fla.

Reactions: true blue1
I would really like to have Lewis but he’s not one I’d lose sleep over personally. Right now I’d say it’s about 55/45 Florida. Just my guess.

I would really like to have Lewis but he’s not one I’d lose sleep over personally. Right now I’d say it’s about 55/45 Florida. Just my guess.
Id like to have him because idk where else coach cal goes for guards. Dont think Cal has offered any others outside of Lewis as of now

My gut feels the way you do. 55-45 Fla. would make our perimeter defense phenomenal if we get him.

I don’t know what to make of this narrative of Lewis going to Florida because of Klatsky.

Lewis is a 5-Star future NBA talent. Klatsky is a walk-on that will never play professionally in any capacity.

If they want to play together, let Lewis pick where he wants to go and let Klatsky follow him for Christ’s sake.

Seems obvious to me Lewis would love to go to UK, but he’s got all these friends and family pressuring him to go to Florida. It’s his life, let him make his own decision.

No inside game and a ton of injuries.
I think they lost 4 guys for the year.
But certainly an erratic team.

IIRC.. White was tremendous to start. Posters here talking about him being a potential get after Cal left and I was on board based on what I had seen. But then his team kept losing. What 3 or 4 in a row? Has a lot of promise for the future though.

I don’t know what to make of this narrative of Lewis going to Florida because of Klatsky.

Lewis is a 5-Star future NBA talent. Klatsky is a walk-on that will never play professionally in any capacity.

If they want to play together, let Lewis pick where he wants to go and let Klatsky follow him for Christ’s sake.

Seems obvious to me Lewis would love to go to UK, but he’s got all these friends and family pressuring him to go to Florida. It’s his life, let him make his own decision.

Lewis is personally torn with the decision, and was very solid Florida until recently. He is as invested in the relationships w Florida staff as the family.
I will say this about White- he has a very family oriented approach to his program and has the families all very connected and involved.
He does this from the moment he recruits to the final day of a kid’s career. The guy is huge on relationships and chemistry. You may remember he pulled the plug on armon Gates a few months ago — and it was because he wasn’t a fit.
As for klatsky - the dad is a Gator. He has been a big figure in Scottie’s basketball life - founded his aau program and brought him over to ranney. And the kid is a longtime best friend.
This isn’t a case of Scottie being pressured to go somewhere he doesn’t want. He is torn.

IIRC.. White was tremendous to start. Posters here talking about him being a potential get after Cal left and I was on board based on what I had seen. But then his team kept losing. What 3 or 4 in a row? Has a lot of promise for the future though.

He isn’t a big spotlight guy- so I’m not sure how well he’d embrace that component of the uk job. But maybe down the road ???

He isn’t a big spotlight guy- so I’m not sure how well he’d embrace that component of the uk job. But maybe down the road ???

A job like UK certainly needs personality, with a bit of ego thrown in. MW doesn't appear to be that type of coach, but who knows. Appears grounded. Appears to be a good dude. Hope he stays at Florida for some time and makes the conference better.

Lewis is personally torn with the decision, and was very solid Florida until recently. He is as invested in the relationships w Florida staff as the family.
I will say this about White- he has a very family oriented approach to his program and has the families all very connected and involved.
He does this from the moment he recruits to the final day of a kid’s career. The guy is huge on relationships and chemistry. You may remember he pulled the plug on armon Gates a few months ago — and it was because he wasn’t a fit.
As for klatsky - the dad is a Gator. He has been a big figure in Scottie’s basketball life - founded his aau program and brought him over to ranney. And the kid is a longtime best friend.
This isn’t a case of Scottie being pressured to go somewhere he doesn’t want. He is torn.

Would love Lewis, being that he gives UK a final look on the wing in a collection of wings that offers a bit of everything with Lewis as a slasher, Whitney as a physical finisher, Maxey as a playmaker, and Allen as perimeter player with potential to become a slasher.

Plus, you have to love the thought of those guys running the fast break. In the outside chance that Hagans or Green returned...wow.

It is possible our guards/wings next year are:
Green
Quickley
Baker
Maxey
Lewis
Dontae Allen
Khalil Whitney

I've followed UK 60 years and this would be as deep as we ever been in the backcourt (maybe 1996 tops it because of experience)

Reactions: Mr_GG
ADVERTISEMENT