ADVERTISEMENT

Levis/Tshiebwe best football/basketball duo ever at Kentucky?

Perhaps Babe Parilli(Hall of Fame) and Bill Spivey would provide far superior RESULTS!!

1950--UK/Parilli---11-1---some ranked as #1 team in country
In 1949 and 1950, Parilli directed teams that ran up 684 points against 115 opposition points. The Wildcats held 10 of 22 opponents scoreless, and all but three to 7 points or less. In 1949, Parilli led Kentucky to a 9-3 record, including wins over LSU, Ole Miss, Georgia and Florida. In 1950 during Parilli’s junior year, the Wildcats produced the greatest season in school history, including an 11-1 campaign and Southeastern Conference Championship. Parilli’s senior season resulted in an 8-4 record, culminating his illustrious career with NCAA records at time for career passing touchdowns (50), completions (331) and passing yards (4,351).

Bill Spivey--1951 ncaaT champs--ranked #1--title game, 22 points and 21 rebounds

I'll go with Parilli and Spivey.

rr

How about the 2nd best duo--Derick Ramsey and Kyle Macy or Rick Robey or GOOSE

Ramsey--1977--10-1 record, beat penn st, lsu, georgia, florida and tenn--final poll #6

1978 UK ncaaT champs, Robey, Givens and Macy--take your pick--CHAMPS, #1

Far better results than the present duo

rr

Ramsey/Goose

Yep, came here to say this. My senior year at UK. I’m not old enough to remember Parilli/Spivey.

That 1977 football team was crazy good. Got overlooked because UK chose to serve its probation that year instead of 1976, so no bowl game. Only loss was week 2 at Baylor where it was 100 degrees. Beat Penn State and won at UT, went undefeated in SEC play.

Levis hasn’t even made an all-conference team yet.

You’re not wrong, but I think the point is that he is very popular and could put up some big numbers.

Here’s some overlapping mostly All Americans over the years:

48 - Jones x2
51 - Parilli/Spivey
56 - Lou Michaels/Bob Burrow (both AAs)
65 - Sam Ball/Louie Dampier
77 - Still/Givens (I’d go with Art Still)
97 - Couch/Mercer
02 - Abney/Prince (Lorenzen was the star)
10 - Cobb/Wall
17 - Allen/Monk

Yep, came here to say this. My senior year at UK. I’m not old enough to remember Parilli/Spivey.

That 1977 football team was crazy good. Got overlooked because UK chose to serve its probation that year instead of 1976, so no bowl game. Only loss was week 2 at Baylor where it was 100 degrees. Beat Penn State and won at UT, went undefeated in SEC play.
At the end of the season, they were clearly the best team in the country.

John Wall and Randall Cobb were both 1st team All-Americans. This duo can only be in the conversation if Levis can pull off the same thing Cobb did.

Can't compare NPOTYs now and even 15 years ago. Oscar is literally a man among boys right now. Oscar is a great college player, but not necessarily a great basketball player.
I wouldn’t even say he’s a great college player. He’s a great rebounder, that’s obvious, but nothing else about his game stands out. He’s one of my all time favorite Cats, though, regardless. If this was a popularity contest, he’d probably win.

Reactions: STL_Cat
I wouldn’t even say he’s a great college player. He’s a great rebounder, that’s obvious, but nothing else about his game stands out. He’s one of my all time favorite Cats, though, regardless. If this was a popularity contest, he’d probably win.
Old school throw back players aren't popular today. Dunking and 3's are the jazz in today's world. Fundamentals of the game are usually a lost art today. Odd more points were scored before the implementation of the 3's, when they actually called palming the ball, walking and 3 seconds. Oscar would be great in any time period, he just a ball player.

Levis is gonna have to do more than he’s done for those two to be in that conversation

Couch was QB in 96-97-98. A ton of studs on the basketball court those years.
Yeah, but he stunk in the beginning. During his All American season (the 98-99 year), the basketball selection wasn’t quite as impressive as the prior years.

You’re not wrong, but I think the point is that he is very popular and could put up some big numbers.

Here’s some overlapping mostly All Americans over the years:

48 - Jones x2
51 - Parilli/Spivey
56 - Lou Michaels/Bob Burrow (both AAs)
65 - Sam Ball/Louie Dampier
77 - Still/Givens (I’d go with Art Still)
97 - Couch/Mercer
02 - Abney/Prince (Lorenzen was the star)
10 - Cobb/Wall
17 - Allen/Monk
I'll accept Still or Ramsey but Art was a much better pro. No way was Ramsey going to play QB in the NFL at that time.

Well, if we are talking about:
1) being great young men (Oscar’s faith has been well-publicized, but have y’all noticed Levis’ biblical verse tattoo?)
2) being extremely popular, accessible to fans, and just all around great personalities
3) loving the university they represent
4) being very good players
Then yes, they are probably at the top of the heap

Reactions: UK CAT in FL
He was the consensus National Player of the Year from about Christmas on. It was a clear a choice as it's been in a long time. What does one have to do to be considered a great college player?

He was the consensus National Player of the Year from about Christmas on. It was a clear a choice as it's been in a long time. What does one have to do to be considered a great college player?
It’s just my opinion. Oscar is already in my top five favorite UK players ever, and off the court he’s as special as they come. But when I think of great college basketball players, I think of an elite level that may differ from your opinion. I think he has the ability to reach that “great” level, but he will need to be a bigger focus in our offense. I just don’t see that happening. But I never dreamed he’d be NPOY last year either. So who knows?

I’ll ask you this:

Are you 100% certain he will be our best player in 22/23?

I like Levi's but he really hasn't done anything that special yet. Didn't win at Miss St, didn't beat UT , lost to UGA, not really knocking him but to imply he is a GOAT QB at UK at this point in his career is laughable

Not even close

It’s just my opinion. Oscar is already in my top five favorite UK players ever, and off the court he’s as special as they come. But when I think of great college basketball players, I think of an elite level that may differ from your opinion. I think he has the ability to reach that “great” level, but he will need to be a bigger focus in our offense. I just don’t see that happening. But I never dreamed he’d be NPOY last year either. So who knows?

I’ll ask you this:

Are you 100% certain he will be our best player in 22/23?
Define "best player". I'm quite positive he will have the best efficiency rating on the team. His season last year was the best in UK history in that category. I would define him as a great college player, who may have trouble in the NBA. But I would take a late first, early second round pick on him. The NBA is spread out these days, so it's not all about athleticism, and Oscar has a nose for the ball that is unmatched by anyone I've ever seen. Let's hope we can get him to a Final Four this year.

ADVERTISEMENT