ADVERTISEMENT

Let's Think About This ...

We've beaten one team with a winning record. Toledo. This might be Stoops' best coaching job, but that's cause for concern not celebration.

I agree OP. It has been a an extremely solid season considering Terry went down. My only criticism is the SC game. It is now obvious in retrospect that Sawyer was too hurt to be effective in that game. If we had even a limited package for Lynn against SC I think we might have gotten that one. In any event, even with that, a 7-5 after losing Terry with the two almost wins you mention, it is something that keeps the program moving forward especially if we win our bowl game.

Reactions: PowerofPelphrey
That’s a lil ambitious lol even last years team wasn’t 9-1 as of now with two games left, and they were a better team. Let’s not get goofy off a Vandy win kids...
Well lets see UF and UT were both toss up games without TW...so thats 7-3...
We weren't beating UGA between the shrubs but what about at USCjr and at Miss St?
Ill say 8-2 as I think the Cocks would have got us regardless.

We are six inches on a missed fg and 1 1/2 yds from being in the same spot we were last year...I know a bunch of us, including me, have been disappointed, but really with all the conflict we've had it can still a pretty good season. #GOCATS

Ironically, I think the same could be said for last year but the opposite. Sometimes it breaks your way and sometimes it doesn't

Reactions: billoliver40
Win the last two games of the season (already counting UT Martin as a W) and we finish at 8-5, best record since 2007, where we also finished 3-5 in SEC, with several close losses. Would also be Stoops 2nd best year as a head coach. All in all, after all the losses to the NFL and losing top two QBs, that would be a damn good year. Can't see many of our commitments bailing on us if we finish with an 18-8 record for last two seasons.

Win the last two games of the season (already counting UT Martin as a W) and we finish at 8-5, best record since 2007, where we also finished 3-5 in SEC, with several close losses. Would also be Stoops 2nd best year as a head coach. All in all, after all the losses to the NFL and losing top two QBs, that would be a damn good year. Can't see many of our commitments bailing on us if we finish with an 18-8 record for last two seasons.
In all honesty if UK wants to take another step forward in football we “have” to win out and fini 8-5.

with wilson imo we beat uf and ut at home for starters. and probably a bad msu team on the road. we lose to uga and maybe usc and at least give ourselves a chance on the field to win the east. we’d be going for 10 against ul, no doubt in my mind.
Which brings us all full circle to the curse o the Bear.

Good Post Slugger. I know I get down on Stoops sometimes, just my frustration coming through. I know better than to post the day after a game. But I've been up a few frosty mornings, and this is the best era of football I've saw from UK.

The key to success is the Tennessee, Missouri, South Carolina, Vandy, Mississippi State swing. We have moved up the ladder to the point we can play and beat those 5 teams on our schedule. I'm not saying 5-0 every years (we have such a great track record against UT, lol), but you win 3 and 3 out of our 4 non-conference games are usually guaranteed wins, then you are bowl eligible. The next step would be beating those 5 consistently and hope for big win against a Florida or Georgia or beat our other West opponent that year and we can have a huge season. Tennessee has used this formula for years to have very solid seasons. In the last four years we are 15-9 against UT, Mizzou, USC, Vandy, Miss St and our floating West opponent. In the four years prior to that, we were 4-20.

The key to success is the Tennessee, Missouri, South Carolina, Vandy, Mississippi State swing. We have moved up the ladder to the point we can play and beat those 5 teams on our schedule. I'm not say 5-0 every years, but you win 3 and 3 out of our 4 non-conference games are usually guaranteed wins, then you are bowl eligible. The next step would be beating those 5 consistently and hope for big win against a Florida or Georgia or beat our other West opponent that year and we can have a huge season. Tennessee has used this formula for years to have very solid seasons. In the last four years we are 15-9 against UT, Mizzou, USC, Vandy, Miss St and our floating West opponent. In the four years prior to that, we were 4-20.
good post. we’re definitely not the doormat anymore. that’s vandy all by themselves.

All that without our starting quarterback , mind you.

Coaches have did a good job this year.

That’s a lil ambitious lol even last years team wasn’t 9-1 as of now with two games left, and they were a better team. Let’s not get goofy off a Vandy win kids...
Beating a bad Vandy team has nothing to do with it. With a healthy TW the only for sure loss I see is at UGA.

Reactions: hotelblue
We would have a better record if we had a kicking game. Make that FG against Florida and we more than likely win that one. Hit the extra point and we only need a FG at the end of the game to tie with TN instead of having to go for it. Right there would have been two more than likely wins. Our coaches are gun shy about sending the kicker out so that puts then in a weird position for them about the play calling. It seems like they have gone for it more on 4th down this year than any other year, but that could just be me. I'm too lazy to look up the stats on that.

But I agree, our record would be much different if we would have had Terry this entire season. But the coaches are doing the best with what they have, even though in hindsight they should have gone to Lynn sooner.

with wilson imo we beat uf and ut at home for starters. and probably a bad msu team on the road. we lose to uga and maybe usc and at least give ourselves a chance on the field to win the east. we’d be going for 10 against ul, no doubt in my mind.
We actually should have beaten filthy orange and Fla without TW so I'm goung to say we beat SC and MSt with him ...that puts us at 9-1 today...that's the old iffin game JC talked about. Just finish the season 3-0 and be happy!

Reactions: The-Hack
We would have a better record if we had a kicking game. Make that FG against Florida and we more than likely win that one. Hit the extra point and we only need a FG at the end of the game to tie with TN instead of having to go for it. Right there would have been two more than likely wins. Our coaches are gun shy about sending the kicker out so that puts then in a weird position for them about the play calling. It seems like they have gone for it more on 4th down this year than any other year, but that could just be me. I'm too lazy to look up the stats on that.

But I agree, our record would be much different if we would have had Terry this entire season. But the coaches are doing the best with what they have, even though in hindsight they should have gone to Lynn sooner.
Third and goal and 1 1/2 ...no excuses for not scoring a TD!

Reactions: Justwantadecentteam
I was all in with the Stoops hire, but he’s so stubborn in his game plan. We got talent. Running backs that should be starting aren’t. Defense is all I wish Stoops would concentrate on and let our offensive coordinator do his. So many headscratchers during his tenure. IMO he over thinks when we’re on offense. If Stoops for Florida State IMO Marrow would be a great replacement

We actually should have beaten filthy orange and Fla without TW so I'm goung to say we beat SC and MSt with him ...that puts us at 9-1 today...that's the old iffin game JC talked about. Just finish the season 3-0 and be happy!
i was being nice about usc. but for that matter the uga game was winnable with tw imo. i’d have 9-1 also.

Ironically, I think the same could be said for last year but the opposite. Sometimes it breaks your way and sometimes it doesn't
Boom.
Last years team had a couple games that broke our way. Year before had two that didnt....not counting the MCB robbery, and THAT came down to a last second pass that just missed.

I won't gripe about this team going 7-5. With everything that's gone sideways it could be 3-9.

Reactions: sefus12
ADVERTISEMENT