ADVERTISEMENT

Lets refresh our recruiting memory...

jrpross

All-American
Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Sioux Falls, SD
It seems that there’s quite a bit of worry due to recent reports and crystal ball changes so I thought this would hopefully give us some optimism. And I’m not aiming this at anyone in particular. Just to refresh our memories on how hints have fallen into place over the years.

Let’s start with 2010. That was the year that Terrence Jones committed to Washington. Well that sucks! I really wanted that guy. Well, turns out that was a mistake and he switched soon after.

2011 was the year that out of nowhere Kyle Wiltjer just up and committed when most of us didn’t even know he was being recruited. It was also the year that Teague was thought for quite a while to be heading for Louisville. (Ughhh...)

Skip ahead to 2013 when the Julius Randle battle was believed to be between Kansas and Texas if I’m not mistaken(?). My memory fails me, but I do remember that he was not expected to commit to Kentucky.

2014 was the year we were inexplicably spurned by Emmanuel Mudiay and we weren’t sure what to think of this Ulis kid...

In 2015 we’d all but conceded Murray to Oregon until he donned the Kentucky cape (was it a cape?) on his live commitment.

2016 was a fun one. Bam was a rock solid LOCK for NC State until a few days before his Kentucky pledge. That was possibly the biggest surprise of Cal’s tenure. Oh and who could forget the KU fan coming onto rafters and spilling the beans about Wenyen Gabriel the night before??

Nobody really thought Kentucky had a shot with Kevin Knox until that happened either. He was Duke or Carolina for what seemed like forever.

Now we have no idea if something like that will happen with the current class. But the point is, yeah the current big man situation doesn’t look as promising as it did not long ago. But with the history Cal has of surprises, I’d advise us all not to cry over milk that hasn’t even been spilled yet. If every single one of Cal’s big man targets don’t pan out, then I won’t lie, it will be pretty unnerving. But until then, I think his track record gives us a bit of room for optimism.

Had no intention of making this so long but...well there it is. Jrpross out [cheers]

Last edited:
Differences between worry and sky is falling and you know them

We already have Whitney Allen and Maxey... we are so close to being another elite team we just need two bigs that are great.......

Reactions: jace2012
It’s a little like 2015.... so close to 40-0.... that falling short hurt pretty bad. We’re so close to being elite again that falling short will hurt... just need two great big men ... soooo close
I totally get where you’re coming from. I really do. I’m not as confident as I was a week or 2 ago. I just honestly feel like history has shown that we have a really good shot at getting one or two surprises out of this group that Cal is going for. Even if, at the moment, there’s not one in particular that looks more likely for UK than not.

Reactions: BassProCat
Keep in mind thIs time last year, we only had Quickley, Johnson, and Herro.

We will get some guys. Even when we miss on our first choice we still end up in good shape.

I hated missing on Williamson, but getting Travis and Montgomery made me realize it will usually work out with Cal in charge.

We will get some guys. Even when we miss on our first choice we still end up in good shape.

I hated missing on Williamson, but getting Travis and Montgomery made me realize it will usually work out with Cal in charge.

This is what I try to tell ppl. The way Cal has been on the recruiting trail lately you can see he has learned his lesson from past years and isn’t gonna be caught on the outside looking in.

Trust in Cal.

Reactions: jrpross
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...left-for-superstar-center-nerlens-noel#slide3

College Basketball Recruiting: 7 Schools Left for Superstar Center Nerlens Noel

"The Connecticut Huskies are one of the two local schools vying for the Everett, Massachusetts native. I would consider them to be one of the favorites to land Nerlens Noel for a variety of reasons.First and foremost, the proximity to his hometown is a major bonus. Storrs, Connecticut is a mere 90 miles from Everett, making it very easy for family and friends to see him play home games.

The fact that the Huskies are coming off of a 2011 National Championship season has to be appealing as well. Coach Jim Calhoun could also have Connecticut coming into next season as one of the favorites to win the 2013 National Championship.

The Florida Gators are one of the more surprising teams in the running for the Northeast star. However, they have their own appeal that could help sway Nerlens Noel.The Gators are coached by Billy Donovan, who has a proven track record of getting his players to the NBA. Also, they could be a preseason top 5 team next year.

As long as John Calipari is calling the shots in Lexington, the Kentucky Wildcats will always be in the conversation to land the best and brightest recruits each year. Elite recruits love to play for Coach Cal, specifically because he bases his recruiting effort on getting the kids to campus for one season, and willingly lets them explore their NBA options afterward. Kentucky also has proved to be the main training ground for future professional athletes.

The Syracuse Orange are a team that should not be counted out for landing the services of Nerlens Noel. They are getting an official visit from him on February 11th, and you can guarantee that head coach Jim Boeheim will be rolling out the red carpet for him.

Syracuse is currently the king of the college basketball world, sitting at 22-1 on the season. As we all know, they have their own illustrious history of producing successful teams and even more successful NBA players.

[laughing]

Herro committed Nov. 14, 2017. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

He decommitted from Wisconsin October 17, 2017.

Put me on record as wanting Carey and either Tshiebwe or that other PF whose name is even harder to say. It’s not sour grapes and sure I’ll take Wiseman if he comes. But even if he does I won’t be as excited about it as I will be if we get Carey. I’ve finally realized that if you are a beanpole big man then, no matter where you are rated:

1) You are not Anthony Davis. You are no more Anthony Davis than any of the other PGs to supposedly be the next John Wall have been the next John Wall.

2) Since you’re not AD, I don’t want you in the paint very much. Sure, sneak in there in a gimmick set we throw at people sometimes. But if you try to live in the paint, you’ll hurt us in SEC play, probably badly.

Laugh at that as much as you want but put it next to my name in Sharpie. I’ve seen enough.

It seems that there’s quite a bit of worry due to recent reports and crystal ball changes so I thought this would hopefully give us some optimism. And I’m not aiming this at anyone in particular. Just to refresh our memories on how hints have fallen into place over the years.

Let’s start with 2010. That was the year that Terrence Jones committed to Washington. Well that sucks! I really wanted that guy. Well, turns out that was a mistake and he switched soon after.

2011 was the year that out of nowhere Kyle Wiltjer just up and committed when most of us didn’t even know he was being recruited. It was also the year that Teague was thought for quite a while to be heading for Louisville. (Ughhh...)

Skip ahead to 2013 when the Julius Randle battle was believed to be between Kansas and Texas if I’m not mistaken(?). My memory fails me, but I do remember that he was not expected to commit to Kentucky.

2014 was the year we were inexplicably spurned by Emmanuel Mudiay and we weren’t sure what to think of this Ulis kid...

In 2015 we’d all but conceded Murray to Oregon until he donned the Kentucky cape (was it a cape?) on his live commitment.

2016 was a fun one. Bam was a rock solid LOCK for NC State until a few days before his Kentucky pledge. That was possibly the biggest surprise of Cal’s tenure. Oh and who could forget the KU fan coming onto rafters and spilling the beans about Wenyen Gabriel the night before??

Nobody really thought Kentucky had a shot with Kevin Knox until that happened either. He was Duke or Carolina for what seemed like forever.

Now we have no idea if something like that will happen with the current class. But the point is, yeah the current big man situation doesn’t look as promising as it did not long ago. But with the history Cal has of surprises, I’d advise us all not to cry over milk that hasn’t even been spilled yet. If every single one of Cal’s big man targets don’t pan out, then I won’t lie, it will be pretty unnerving. But until then, I think his track record gives us a bit of room for optimism.

Had no intention of making this so long but...well there it is. Jrpross out [cheers]
Let’s not and call it a day grandpa.

I won't even worry if he whiffs on every big man.......Cal will just have them play small ball or something else that is creative........I don't worry about Cal when it comes to recruiting.....

ADVERTISEMENT