ADVERTISEMENT

Let's Just Admit It

think we've been saying that the better part of 2+ decades

Not a lot of fans that were paying attention. In 2010 when Joker took over this amazing program mitch had built from scratch to Florida with TWO four stars playing to play their team that had over FORTY four stars and a dozen FIVE STARS on the roster some of our fans thought we had a chance to beat them.

Last year not only did we have a chance to beat them by all standards we outplayed them (except for some monumental goofs, including some by the officials) AND SHOULD HAVE BEAT THEM.

Now we are the underdogs again, but not without some hope of pulling off what wouldn't be that surprising an upset.

There is always a chance. I think this year is the best chance to beat them at home (UF) in the last 20 years. We have had chance's to beat they here at UK a few time's, but never have been lucky enough to do it.

GBB

Reactions: catben and jauk11
There is always a chance. I think this year is the best chance to beat them at home (UF) in the last 20 years. We have had chance's to beat they here at UK a few time's, but never have been lucky enough to do it.

GBB
We had a great chance in 2014 but they tricked us in the first overtime by throwing to a guy who only had about 14 other receptions the entire game. :cry:

Reactions: KYtotheCore
We are in as good of shape as our program has been in 40 years BUT we are still years behind Florida in the talent category. It's just a fact. We do not have the talent it takes to compete every Saturday in the SEC. We are on the right track but 6 or 7 wins just keeps us neutral in recruiting. Stoops will have to coach his ass off and motivate like never before to break this string.

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
We are in as good of shape as our program has been in 40 years BUT we are still years behind Florida in the talent category. It's just a fact. We do not have the talent it takes to compete every Saturday in the SEC. We are on the right track but 6 or 7 wins just keeps us neutral in recruiting. Stoops will have to coach his ass off and motivate like never before to break this string.

If you were at the UF game last year you would have seen that we had more athletes on the field than UF. No way we should have lost to those scrubs.....but we found a way.....again!

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
What we HAVE to do is play the game. What we should do is at least be respectable in it. What we most likely to do based on history is step on our own dicks and loose in an totally embarrassing fashion. I'm not picking UK to ever beat Florida. If they win, great, but don't ask me to expect it, that's just insanity.

I attended the game in 1986 the last time we won. I was 35 at the time and now I am drawing Social Security. Hope to the Cats win again before taking a dirt nap
I was there too, as a UK Student. I’ll be 53 next month and I’m starting to wonder if / when I’ll see another win over the Gators.

We do not have to beat Florida this year. The game is in the Swamp and is a likely loss that will have little impact on the season. More important is to beat USC and MSU at home and UT on the road. Added to other likely wins that would be a 8 or 9 win season. Anyone who would sour on the program because an 8 win season didn’t include a UF win should re-evaluate their priorities.

think we've been saying that the better part of 2+ decades

Not a lot of fans that were paying attention. In 2010 when Joker took over this amazing program mitch had built from scratch to Florida with TWO four stars playing to play their team that had over FORTY four stars and a dozen FIVE STARS on the roster some of our fans thought we had a chance to beat them.

Last year not only did we have a chance to beat them by all standards we outplayed them (except for some monumental goofs, including some by the officials) AND SHOULD HAVE BEAT THEM.

Now we are the underdogs again, but not without some hope of pulling off what wouldn't be that surprising an upset.

Yeah I remember. I was there when Joker took over the middle tier team Brooks left and I was there last year completely devastated in the stands after blowing the chance to beat them.

Still, as Kentucky fans, we've been saying this is our year to beat Florida more than several times over the past 2+ decades.

The UF losing streak is the single worst thing in all of the UK athletics programs.

Coach Stoops has his most experienced team since coming here and UF has their least experienced along with a new HC.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
We do not have to beat Florida this year. The game is in the Swamp and is a likely loss that will have little impact on the season. More important is to beat USC and MSU at home and UT on the road. Added to other likely wins that would be a 8 or 9 win season. Anyone who would sour on the program because an 8 win season didn’t include a UF win should re-evaluate their priorities.
More important to beat USC again, MSU or UT! No way,, now I do agree we don't "have to" beat UF or any other one team but a win over the Gators would be a bigger win than any other on the schedule with the possible exception of GA.

we have to . . . and I mean have to . . . beat Florida this year. . . . no ands, ifs, or buts . . .
GBB
We want to win every game. We don’t HAVE to win any particular game. There are 12 games, and the goal is to win as many as we can. The Florida game is an obsession that some people have, and it’s understandable to a certain point. UK fans used to be this way about the Tennessee game. Then we beat Tennessee a couple of times and the obsession-prone fans stopped obsessing on Tennessee. Now they obsess about Florida. We will beat Florida at some point, then they will obsess about something else. Some people just can’t ever be happy.

Reactions: SPECT imaging
I'm almost 38. I've gotten to the point U believe UK will never beat UF again in my lifetime. I hope I am wrong, but I have prepared myself for the worst

What we HAVE to do is play the game. What we should do is at least be respectable in it.
What we HAVE to do is be the best team and the best fans we can be, given an experienced team playing a lot of other good teams. What we SHOULD do is support our guys in public, and just stop pretending we know more about football than our coaches.

If you were at the UF game last year you would have seen that we had more athletes on the field than UF. No way we should have lost to those scrubs.....but we found a way.....again!
Well, I wasn't at the game but I see that FL's recruiting classes over the past 4 years were ranked #9, #14, #23 and #8. They were 4-7 last year but I think their problems were more "programatic" than athletic. Definitely 2 MAJOR breakdowns by the UK defense.

Peace

Uh, wrong. We definitely need to beat a Florida team that isn’t going to be very good. We can either take the next step and beat teams like Florida and Tennessee, and Miss St., or we can be the same old Wildcats that have to count on beating four cupcakes, Vandy, and squeezing out some other win to get to 6 wins, and beat our chest for being bowl eligible.

Uh, wrong. We definitely need to beat a Florida team that isn’t going to be very good. We can either take the next step and beat teams like Florida and Tennessee, and Miss St., or we can be the same old Wildcats that have to count on beating four cupcakes, Vandy, and squeezing out some other win to get to 6 wins, and beat our chest for being bowl eligible.

Let’s wait and see if UF is not going to be very good. They return many of the players they lost last year to the credit card scam. I have seen some pundit predict they will give UGA a run in the East, especially if UGA trips early against the Gamecocks.

I certainly hope we beat UT like last year and MSU like the year before. Would love to take those steps again. Of course, some see MSU as a long shot for the playoff. So, that would be a fine win.

There are not many times that UK was a better team than Florida, and last year UK was much better than Florida.

I don't see much change this year other than the game is in "the Swamp". I actually think McElwain was a good coach but UF was just too big for him. Mullen is a good coach too but I warn my UF fans that his lack of recruiting may work in Starkville it may not fly in Gainesville.

A win over Florida especially in "The Swamp" would give us instant national credibility. It also removes the last stain from our terrible past. Getting that streak over with will help this program going forward.

I just want to beat Florida. Jesus Christ, can we just beat those aholes for once in my adult life? The last time we beat them I had just become legally allowed to drink. I'm now in my early 50's.

Again, I want to beat Florida.
So who do you want to beat?

UF was a bad football team in 17 and it was a game UK could and probably should have won. Another year, 14 maybe, the SEC officials gave UF a FG to put game in overtime which they won.

Like Caveman said, they get 9 of the credit card scammers back, 2 transfers who have gotten eligible and I think a grad transfer.

Word is there S&C program was awful and some of their players commented on how big UGA guys had gotten. So they had gotten weak too.

Some of the media is expecting huge improvements, but I am in wait and see mode.

I’m afraid we’ve blown our chances. It’s not going to happen in Gainesville this year, and the talent gap will begin to grow, IMO. If Florida plays well early, I believe recruiting will begin to turn around for them quickly. IMO, folks trying to determine his potential recruiting successes at UF, based on what he did at Miss. State is ludicrous. The flagship university in a state with way too much talent.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT