ADVERTISEMENT

Let's Get This Out Of The Way...

sluggercatfan

All-American
Aug 17, 2004
Team has averaged 90+ over the four games... Do you really believe a Cal coached team will play this way during the regular season? Not normally Cal's style and we will see a ton of zone.

Reactions: kev69
I know they were SEC refs but I guess they are saving their “breathe” to blow their whistle for the season. The games had flow given the lack of whistles. There is a reason why teams try to make a game ugly when they are playing a better team that runs. More stoppage just makes it painful

Nobody but North Carolina or UCLA will be willing to go up and down the court and just try to outscore us. Everyone else will feel their best chance is to hold the ball, slow the game down, and play zone.

Team has averaged 90+ over the four games... Do you really believe a Cal coached team will play this way during the regular season? Not normally Cal's style and we will see a ton of zone.
Every coach in the country watched those games and and most probably now figure you only beat UK by slowing us down.

16-17 was a averaging near 95 points a game early in the season. That number obviously went down as Cal slowed the game down, defenses adjusted and refereeing.

Probably not. Cal likes to slow it down when things get tight. I remember the 2012 title game. We were running Kansas out of the building. He then decided to slow it down, and we damn near pissed the game away because of it. Same thing in 2015 against Wisconsin. 5 point lead and we decided to take the air out of the ball.

Hopefully he lets this team run...run..and run some more. They already seem better conditioned then the last three teams we’ve had, and it’s freaking August!

Probably not. Cal likes to slow it down when things get tight. I remember the 2012 title game. We were running Kansas out of the building. He then decided to slow it down, and we damn near pissed the game away because of it. Same thing in 2015 against Wisconsin. 5 point lead and we decided to take the air out of the ball.

Hopefully he lets this team run...run..and run some more. They already seem better conditioned then the last three teams we’ve had, and it’s freaking August!
Kev I could have written this..my thoughts exactly.

I know they were SEC refs but I guess they are saving their “breathe” to blow their whistle for the season. The games had flow given the lack of whistles. There is a reason why teams try to make a game ugly when they are playing a better team that runs. More stoppage just makes it painful
Three SEC refs from Cynthiana, KY.

UK will likely see a lot of zone. Pace will probably be slower, but if UK plays defense the way they are capable, they will be able to dictate the pace a lot more.

This team should be able to play multiple styles.

About the zone, run Travis to the free throw line, let him shoot that little jumper. Same with Herro, PJ, Richards, and KJ. They have proved very capable of shooting them right out of a zone.

The game will naturally start to slow down as these kids have to think about plays and sets and schemes. Not to mention when they will need to focus on defense. Virtually no defensive planning went into these games. Once they do you'll see adjustment periods and the will naturally slow down.

These games were meant to be fun, allow the kids to play and see what they can do. They should not be taken as a barometer of what to expect in normal games.

Reactions: Ineverplayedthegame
In the postgame interview, Cal thought they would average around 80 points per game. It’s probably going to be somewhere between 75-80. Very few teams will run with UK.

UK will be a match-up nightmare for any team in the NCAA. We have too many athletes to run with and I expect that we will have great options against teams that want to sit in a zone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT