ADVERTISEMENT

lawyer advice on contract

WildmanWilson

Junior
Oct 11, 2010
After buying a propane tank from another company I have the company come pick up their lease tank. After they picked it up I was billed for the pick up and pumping out existing gas. There is nothing in my contract about these two fees. I did agree to pay a non-usage fee because I didn’t buy gas last year and that’s in the contract. I disputed the charges of the extra 125 dollars but was fold I must pay or be turned over to collections. It’s not the money but the principal of it. So can they get away with this if it’s not in the contract? What are my options without spending a ton to fight it?

Not a lawyer, but if it's not in the contract I'd send them the amount of money you actually agreed to pay and if they wanna do anything about it make them hire their lawyers. Just show up with the contract in hand and there's literally nothing they can do if it wasn't agreed upon.

Reactions: NewEraCATS
Let them turn it over to collections or sue you. Show up in court with the contract and ask Judge to review. Case over

After buying a propane tank from another company I have the company come pick up their lease tank. After they picked it up I was billed for the pick up and pumping out existing gas. There is nothing in my contract about these two fees. I did agree to pay a non-usage fee because I didn’t buy gas last year and that’s in the contract. I disputed the charges of the extra 125 dollars but was fold I must pay or be turned over to collections. It’s not the money but the principal of it. So can they get away with this if it’s not in the contract? What are my options without spending a ton to fight it?
I would not fool with any legal proceedings or hiring an attorney until they sue you. Read thru the contract carefully and make sure you are right.

Collections is really a hollow threat. If they send it there and there is no legitimacy you can just write the credit bureau and have them remove the claim.

Call them and ask them to send you a copy of the contract with the articles/paragraphs that substantiate why the are charging you. Do it at least twice and if they don't provide it say youre going to sue THEM if they don't remove the charges. Nobody wants a lawsuit over $125.

I’ve been with this company for 19 years. I leased the tank but over time they became less competitive on price. You don’t know how companies will treat you when you try and end dealing with them.

I’ve had this same contract the whole time. Apparently they do charge for these things now and it’s in new contracts. It wasn’t mine.

It’s not uncommon for companies to try and punish the consumer when they want to end business with them. I think they made a lot of money from me over the years. They just weren’t taking money I didn’t owe. Rack one up for the little guys.

Reactions: mailman85
Are there other propane companies in your area?

Hope not. I hope they blackball you.
What are you talking about? I did nothing wrong. Why should I be blackballed? Are you ok with a company charging for things not listed in a contract? Maybe you like being taken advantage of. I don’t.

Write a bad review and how they are screwing you over on Facebook ,Yelp ,etc..then get your friends to write angry posts. Share it on the web for the snowflake mafia to get a hold of and pressure the company with bad press.
A good back story like you was sexually harrassed.

First, congratulations for soliciting legal advice from this board. That's one idea that was certain to succeed.

Now, you are dealing with a company that peddles explosive and highly flammable gas. Getting back at them shouldn't be all that complicated.

I guess some of you didn’t read that I won my case. I had already written bad reviews and filed a complaint with the better business bureau. I now own my tank and can buy from anywhere I wish. I was just wondering if anyone had similar issues. I had the law on my side and they knew it. 99% of their customers just pay without questioning the charges. I’d gone over the contract and knew I was right. I just thought I’d have to fight them in court.

No. They just decided you were a shitty client and not worth $125.
No, you are an idiot. Not sure why you need to be an ass. I never missed a payment or bill in 19 years. I was the perfect customer. Companies like this try to punish people when they want to cut ties. They were at least .40 cents a gallon higher than others and at 800 gallons a year it adds up. Maybe you own a business (maybe this one) and see screwing the customers as the way to do business. Maybe you think contracts are just a piece of paper that means nothing. Maybe you are gutless and roll over and allow yourself to be screwed. Not sure. Maybe you’re just an asshole. Either way. I win because I was in the right. But thanks for all the constructive input.

No, you are an idiot. Not sure why you need to be an ass. I never missed a payment or bill in 19 years. I was the perfect customer. Companies like this try to punish people when they want to cut ties. They were at least .40 cents a gallon higher than others and at 800 gallons a year it adds up. Maybe you own a business (maybe this one) and see screwing the customers as the way to do business. Maybe you think contracts are just a piece of paper that means nothing. Maybe you are gutless and roll over and allow yourself to be screwed. Not sure. Maybe you’re just an asshole. Either way. I win because I was in the right. But thanks for all the constructive input.

You rented something for 19 years, overpaid for propane and then didn’t pay some money you didn’t owe at the end. That’s winning?

I would require something in writing from them that you are paid in full, etc. If they threatened collections, they could send to collections on "accident." It is a pain in the ass to get that removed off of your credit report. In my line of work, it happens all the time with cable and phone companies. They have record of you being past due but there is nothing showing your conversation took place.

You rented something for 19 years, overpaid for propane and then didn’t pay some money you didn’t owe at the end. That’s winning?
They weren’t over price the entire time. They were getting worse. That’s why I did away with them and bought a tank somewhere else. It’s a big upfront cost but will now pay for itself quickly.

Wild - congrats on the W. Glad you won out.

Not sure if deal with the paddock much but a huge part of the funis needlessly trolling the OP. He’s f’ing with you - a rite of passage.

Reactions: Chuckinden
ADVERTISEMENT