ADVERTISEMENT

LaVar Ball's Sons

Jul 26, 2003
Reading about the dad forcing his two sons to sign with an agent and give up their high school and college careers brought out the empathy in me for the sons. High school and college memories taken by his own selfish desires. Anything UCLA and LaVar Ball related and feel this way, know it has to be pretty brutal.

Reactions: STEVECAT
I feel by far the most sorry for Lamelo. Kid is only 16 and would only be a sophomore had his dad not moved him up a year in high school so all three brothers could be on same team for a year. He had 3 years of high school stolen from him and now college. Zero chance to be a kid and enjoy growing up. Doubt he even realizes it but he will when he gets older.

I'm still bitter, i hope the Lakers lose every game to show up the dad that guaranteed playoffs his first year.

The kids are set financially for the rest of their life. They can ponder their childhood while hanging out with the rich and famous for the next 50 years....many doors will be open due to the dads acts of lunacy.

Lavar comes across to me as a guy trying to make every dime he can off the talents of his sons. I think he wants the best for them but only as long as it gains him and them exposure and ultimately makes him money. From a purely business point of view, he's doing what he believes is best.

From the standpoint of being a father, I can tell you that this man is the worst role model anyone could have. He's arrogant, selfish, hot headed, loud mouthed, and the list goes on. The best thing that could happen for his boys is for Lavar to let others make decisions for their careers.

Regarding Lonzo, I think he's a rare talent in regard to the pg position. He has huge potential as a floor general. I think I'd like him if not for his dad. He needs to fix that jumper or he will not be able to sustain his viability in that league.

Last edited:
what lavar failed to realize is that he didn't speak Lonzo into being a superstar. He didn't train him with back yard pick up games. Lonzo was born with natural talent and instincts that can not be taught. Lavar's lack of self awareness and his arrogance led to what will probably amount to liangelo and lamelo being failures because they were set up to be nothing else. It's one thing to encourage and help kids pursue their dream in any way you can it's another to burden them with you're shattered hopes and dreams. Further the brothers could of definitely played at UCLA and Liangelo maybe playing overseas and being in Lonzo's crew as some type of guy making a lot of money and living a dream. Lamelo maybe play in the NBA or definitely overseas and like Liangelo been in Lonzo's posse. They both be lucky to just be able to regain a normal sense of psyche again.

Too bad they can’t get the agent thing “undone”. I wonder if they got away from their dad if they could break contracts and get NCAA to forgive?

Wait, aren’t they too young to sign with agent anyway?

After UNC debacle I really almost hate college basketball.

Reactions: UKGrad93
The best thing that could happen for both sons would be if the media stopped covering lavars every move and let him fall back into obscurity. I know it will never happened with the media and drama fueled society we live in but if the media never gave lavar attention like they do Lamelo would still be at Chino Hills and who knows with Liangelo. It's so odd to me that they get the coverage they do. If they had grown up 30 years ago same situation without the way the media is now and without social media and internet things for them would be vastly different.

He’s not tied to the kids as a parent, he’s viewing them as commodities. He has a self fulfilling prophecy that he’s trying to fulfill. It’s very sad and the kids don’t know any better, their value system has been derived from him. They just trust him and go on.Unfortunate for them that the lessons he’s teaching are that you don’t have to listen to coaches or other leadership figures, that rules can be broken and there are no penalties for it and quitting is an acceptable solution to a challenge or adversity.

Last edited:
I don't understand why we look at basketball players differently than we do other young athletes. Nobody raises an eyebrow at a 16 year old professional tennis player.

I feel by far the most sorry for Lamelo. Kid is only 16 and would only be a sophomore had his dad not moved him up a year in high school so all three brothers could be on same team for a year. He had 3 years of high school stolen from him and now college. Zero chance to be a kid and enjoy growing up. Doubt he even realizes it but he will when he gets older.
And what makes it worse is that he’s a 6’5” power forward who made 32% of his threes last season. He’s not a great player at all and unless he wants to play overseas, it’s extremely unlikely he makes it to the pros. And he may not even have a HS diploma to fall back on much less a degree.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
The best thing that could happen for both sons would be if the media stopped covering lavars every move and let him fall back into obscurity. I know it will never happened with the media and drama fueled society we live in but if the media never gave lavar attention like they do Lamelo would still be at Chino Hills and who knows with Liangelo. It's so odd to me that they get the coverage they do. If they had grown up 30 years ago same situation without the way the media is now and without social media and internet things for them would be vastly different.
just look at what the media has done for the Kardashian's.

And what makes it worse is that he’s a 6’5” power forward who made 32% of his threes last season. He’s not a great player at all and unless he wants to play overseas, it’s extremely unlikely he makes it to the pros. And he may not even have a HS diploma to fall back on much less a degree.

The sad thing is he isn't even a good player overseas. Both Lamelo and Liangelo are going to get eaten alive.

Hopefully Lonzo has some brains and takes care of some money for the family, because so far it looks pretty bad.

I don't understand why we look at basketball players differently than we do other young athletes. Nobody raises an eyebrow at a 16 year old professional tennis player.

Basketball is vastly more popular than tennis. If it were reversed, then the tennis player would get the attention and no one would raise an eyebrow at the basketball player.

And Michael Jackson got vilified for holding his baby over a balcony... where is that at now?

I'm still bitter, i hope the Lakers lose every game to show up the dad that guaranteed playoffs his first year.

The kids are set financially for the rest of their life. They can ponder their childhood while hanging out with the rich and famous for the next 50 years....many doors will be open due to the dads acts of lunacy.
How so? Where's the money coming from?

If they were an all world talent who could play at a high level, I wouldn't have a problem with a 16 year old going pro and trying to find a league to play in. These kids have no business trying to play professionally.

What? Can you explain you basis for thinking this?

Any wealth the latter two kids have is very much in the nature of temporary wealth that'll dry up in an instant. Neither have any sort of long term contractual security, neither presently have any job/direct income, and they ain't worth more than peanuts playing overseas right now.

And Lavar's "Big Baller" thing ain't the kind of company that's built to last, instead it's the sort of fly by night operation that tends to collapse just as fast as it rose.

The whole company was founded on the premise that his sons were the stars of the future, and thus it would be cool for kids to wear their products. Well, that myth is already being exposed as bullshit. Lonzo's a disappointment for the Lakers. The middle kid is a dud who'll never play college ball or in the NBA. And, although it's still too early to tell with the third kid, the fact that he'll never play college ball and won't be eligible for the draft for years ain't a good sign.

Once the Ball boys stop being a cool thing for kids to emulate, Bill Baller Brand will collapse like a house of cards.

Last edited:
Surely it's not hard to understand the differences in a Tennis pro at 16 and a 16 year old basketball player?

Some want to professionalize this sport so badly they don't have a lick of sense when discussing the details.

He's the best shooter on UCLA and in the U.S. for sure.

This situation with the Balls ... Literally not anywhere close to the same situation as a “16 year old tennis player”

Surely you jest ... ?

Name one 16 year old NBA or NFL player... just one

Reactions: morgousky
What? Can you explain you basis for thinking this?

Any wealth the latter two kids have is very much in the nature of temporary wealth that'll dry up in an instant. Neither have any sort of long term contractual security, neither presently have any job/direct income, and they ain't worth more than peanuts playing overseas right now.

And Lavar's "Big Baller" thing ain't the kind of company that's built to last, instead it's the sort of fly by night operation that tends to collapse just as fast as it rose.

The whole company was founded on the myth that his sons were the stars of the future, and thus it would be cool for kids to wear their products. Well, that myth is already being exposed as bullshit. Lonzo's a disappointment for the Lakers, and it's becoming clear he'll never be the star some thought. The middle kid is a dud who'll never play college ball and has no chance of ever making the NBA. And, although it's still too early to tell with the third kid, the fact that he'll never play college ball and won't be eligible for the draft for years ain't a good sign.

Once the Ball boys stop being a cool thing for kids to emulate, Bill Baller Brand will collapse like a house of cards.

Lavar is already starting to criticize Walton and trying to tell the Lakers how to play. He took credit for both the high school and UCLA listening to him and his style to succeed. After the other sons flame out very soon and if Lonzo does not improve, Lavar will lose it and get banned from NBA games because he will do something stupid. In maybe a year or less BBB will fall apart.

Surely it's not hard to understand the differences in a Tennis pro at 16 and a 16 year old basketball player?

Some want to professionalize this sport so badly they don't have a lick of sense when discussing the details.

Tennis players have been going pro that early for a long long time. There development is far more rapid and youth plays a large part in tennis.

Reactions: morgousky
Tennis players have been going pro that early for a long long time. There development is far more rapid and youth plays a large part in tennis.

^^^Exactly^^^
Tennis isn't a sport where physical development plays a large role. Team sports that are physical play a big role on whether less developed athletes of talent can compete at a high level against professionals. This is mostly only possible in Individual sports. Golf is another sport a 16 year old has a chance for success at before they fully develop.

No... lol , I think he means the media’s obsession with the entire Kardashian / Jenner family. They’ve becoming multi millionaires because of their insane media coverage. Not solely a sex tape with Kim K 10 plus years ago

Kim is gross. Yea I'd hit it but that doesn't mean anything.

This situation with the Balls ... Literally not anywhere close to the same situation as a “16 year old tennis player”

Surely you jest ... ?

I think the last may have been George Blanda...the guy played football into his fifties...other than that not sure when he started. I know Al Kaline played pro baseball at 17 but dang that's a whole lot different than football or even basketball...(Nah, just checked George was 22...)

Umm, considering both the NBA and NFL have age limit rules making that impossible, there obviously aren't gonna be any.

But just because rules ban it doesn't mean it couldn't happen in the absence of rules. There've been some kids around that age capable of playing in the NBA. Did you see Lebron in high school?

Too bad they can’t get the agent thing “undone”. I wonder if they got away from their dad if they could break contracts and get NCAA to forgive?

Wait, aren’t they too young to sign with agent anyway?

Why would they be? I'm sure plenty of child actors, singers, and athletes have agents.

Umm, considering both the NBA and NFL have age limit rules making that impossible, there obviously aren't gonna be any.

But just because rules ban it doesn't mean it couldn't happen in the absence of rules. There've been some kids around that age capable of playing in the NBA. Did you see Lebron in high school?

My point exactly. Ok so lebron ? Lol that’s ONE literally generational type player that maybe**^ could have played in the nba at 16.

So... again, clearly the attempted correlation is silly and misguided/ uninformed.

My point exactly. Ok so lebron ? Lol that’s ONE literally generational type player that maybe**^ could have played in the nba at 16.

So... again, clearly the attempted correlation is silly and misguided. Proven by yourself now too

At 16? [roll] Not buying that one. (No gumption at that age and certainly not enough to play against men...)

At 16? [roll] Not buying that one. (No gumption at that age and certainly not enough to play against men...)

Agreed. I mean possibly Lebron at 16 Possibly ... But if your argument needs a once every few decades player who is arguably the best/ or top 3 nba player of all time then that should tell you something.

Reactions: Blueaz
ADVERTISEMENT