ADVERTISEMENT

KY school test scores results are out. They are pathetic

Florida teacher says she was fired for refusing to give students partial credit on an assignment they didn't turn in

According to WPTV, after many students didn’t hand in an Explorer Notebook project, Diana Tirado, an eighth-grade history teacher at West Gate K-8 School, gave them a zero for a grade. According to Tirado, she was let go because of the school’s no-zero policy, allegedly included in the student and parent handbook.

“But what if they don’t turn it in, and they say we’ll give them a 50. Oh, no, we don’t,” Tirado told WPTV.

Tirado, who was still in her probationary period, was terminated from her position on Sept. 14. However, no clause was mentioned in the letter from the principal.

Read some of the comments from teachers at the end of that article. Pretty scary.

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
Have you ever worked or volunteered in a school?
Volunteered only. Have no idea as to what the underlying problem with the test scores are. Would like to hear if current curriculum, student to teacher ratio, problems from home, etc.

What about the teachers wanting more pay or to cry over taking pension cuts?

Can we question them, because I’m sure they are certainly abut of the problem to some degree!

Reactions: warrior-cat
-Declare yourself a charter school
Proponent
-sack the education commissioner and replace him with your stooge
-have your stooge gut the accountability system and replace it with something that schools didn’t even know they’d be accountable for this time last year
-create benchmarks that are sure to ensnare half the schools, based on something that nobody understands
-declare that public schools are failing, use test scores to prove it
-profit

Maybe go back to school for reading. Or pay attention to more than just headlines.

“In Kentucky, teachers are protesting too - fighting budget cuts and a plan to make teacher retirement pensions more like 401(k) accounts, ”

Budget cuts aren’t salary.
To be fair to krazykats, the following excerpt was included in the article
  • Teachers have gone on strike in West Virginia, Oklahoma, and Kentucky to encourage salary increases
This was a poorly written and misleading article.

I said pension cuts or pay in my original statement, and if it wasn’t for the pension crap in April then I’d be able to find articles where teachers have been complaining and crying that they aren’t paid enough and want raises.

It’s been a talking point for years.

Regardless overall the teachers union here in KY is awful! Sure there is a smaller percentage that are damn good quality educators and that isn’t my issue at all.

I mean what is the point of schools at this point? Seems to be lost in all the political posturing and society in general. School should be a place where you can send your child to learn important subjects, learn how to socialize, and be in a safe environment. It’s turned into test score benchmarks, teachers being stuck helping raise a kid and catering to 20 different types of kids and parents, teachers on covers of magazines saying they are about to go homeless. I mean WTF is going on? Where the hell is the accountability for parents and kids themselves? What are these teachers even being paid to do anymore, the whole system is a disaster.

I do not disagree with that Ron. And to be honest my kids haven’t had homework in elementary until this year for my 3rd grader.

I remember having math and writing homework everyday in elementary school and based on a continuous repetitive reoccurrence I ended up being a decent student for the rest of my life.

And smart enough to realize some really have to wor hard and will succeed based on work ethics, and other are naturally intelligent in some category and should do us on that.

Mine was math, and ever since I learned that I’ve been good to go.

We do not have any of that anymore.

Our school district is plus 20-35 in every category, so I’m pretty happy with it, TBH. Try not to waste our district’s state tax dollars too much, rest of the state. Good luck!

Well, then you were at least half wrong. Good luck on your hypotheticals.

Dude your a constant troll picking and choosing what ever suits your talking points.

It’s fun to watch and chuckle at but in all seriousness if your going to even try to say teachers aren’t crying and complaining about pay you are wrong.

Dude your a constant troll picking and choosing what ever suits your talking points.

It’s fun to watch and chicle at but in all seriousness if your going to even try to say teachers aren’t crying and complaining about pay you are wrong.
All right. Carry on. Done talking to someone who has no interest in seeing anyone’s opinion other than his own. There are lots of problems in the school system, but if you think teachers wanting the pensions that they are contractually promised is the overlying problem in this state, then you’re delusional.

Reactions: Kybluedude
1338106_qeQOlMZu6t9asVejhmjxXY99W-uB2-zBD59N8EwN7UY.jpg

Reactions: Ron Mehico
I don’t blame that as the issue.

I’m saying what are we paying for? Because of the union all teachers start the same, and raises aren’t based on merit etc but instead in most cases by time served and fake test measures that say on paper someone is doing good.

I’ll use myself as an example. I was passed in English classes forever and I was awful at everything those classes ever offered but was passed.

Then I hit my junior year in high school as a starter on the soccer team and varsity basketball team. My English teacher embarrassed me all year, and I mean flat out made an example of me and my comprehension, reading and writing issues all year long.

To maintain sports eligibility I was in ESS both semester to get the grade bump from a D to a C.

After all that, despite being a D student I flat out learned more in that class than I’ve ever had to learn in any English class and I was more impressed with that D than my A+ in calculus, trig etc etc as a JR.

That’s a real educator, and she worked harder for me than anyone ever had. I wasn’t easy to deal with at all and I’ll never forget that lady for the rest of my life.

Haha, exactly!

I was trying to show that the “results” aren’t always on paper. By having a D student it might have looked bad on that teacher, but in reality she was quite possibly the best educator I had.

So the test score nonsense that shows a teacher as being good is garbage.

Pensions are a thing of the past, move on.
Ky has sucked for ever regarding education, poverty being the underlying issue. Add broken families, kids will struggle for years to come.

Reactions: law1127 and ram1955
If it is all the teachers fault, I’m curious how cutting salaries and benefits will attract and retain more qualified and motivated employees?

So they not teaching how to memorize the answers instead of curriculum like they used to anymore?

Seriously..tho...I can see them.asking for more money which in turn will just end up at the board and their employees not the actual school, and the teachers will still refuse to ask why central offices keep growing

Legalize marijuana and there is more money for schools and the parents are high and eating Cheetos instead of nodded out on the couch from Xanax bars

Reactions: krazykats
ADVERTISEMENT