ADVERTISEMENT

Kroger Field

vhcat70

All-American
Feb 5, 2003
Might be the only thing left named Kroger by the time Amazon gets done with the grocery business.

Last edited:
Well, our check has cleared the bank, and if Kroger collapsed, only the holder of the license would suffer . . . . or more likely resell, and re-brand.

Well, our check has cleared the bank, and if Kroger collapsed, only the holder of the license would suffer . . . . or more likely resell, and re-brand.

As one knowledgeable insider corrected a poster on here before it seems we didn't sell the naming rights to Kroger, someone in a bigger package deal bought it and they resold it to Kroger. Anyone know how much that package was sold for, thought it was in the hundreds of millions, and did we lose money by letting them resell it or not?

Might be the only thing left named Kroger by the time Amazon gets done with the grocery business.
Because Kroger is in the news this week, let's talk about it. Kroger got its name on Commonwealth Stadium because they outbid the other corporate bidders. From UK's point of view, it was a financial transaction, similar to other fundraising decisions. Kroger's common stock took a hit this week because its future earnings projections were downgraded. A year ago, Kroger's common stock was a hot commodity. That's life for investors, but most people don't even follow stuff like this. Earnings upgrades and downgrades happen all the time in corporate America. Downgrades are happening to companies dependent on walk-in customers because of the growing popularity of home deliveries and internet-based shopping. Kroger will have to change with the times and become more innovative by making shopping easier. But Kroger isn't going away unless another corporation acquires them. If that happens, there is a decent chance the acquiring corporation would get its own name on Commonwealth Stadium. Corporate sponsorships are the future in collegiate athletics. UK is recognizing this trend earlier than most. Barnhart takes a lot of heat for being an innovator. A decade from now, 90% of SEC stadiums will have corporate sponsors.

I'm scratching my head over that acquisition. Why would amazon want to get into the grocery business? Seems like a bad fit to me but their stock spiked $23 yesterday.

Reactions: Kaizer Sosay
I'm scratching my head over that acquisition. Why would amazon want to get into the grocery business? Seems like a bad fit to me but their stock spiked $23 yesterday.
It's a gamble for Amazon. This is a big corporation with advanced delivery and marketing technologies buying a smaller corporation with a high quality product that satisfies a basic life need. If Amazon makes this acquisition work, it will forever change the way Americans shop for food. That's why Kroger's stock took a hit yesterday.

Amazon was already in the grocery business, but just home delivery. The WF stores give them more distribution points close to a lot of the population as well as permitting pre-brought pickups. As I read elsewhere, home deliveries further reduce the need for personal autos. Things are a changin'.

Last edited:

Amazon has also already been testing grocery delivery in several large cities. They also have been working on and testing several technologies for brick and mortar grocery stores where all the items have tags and sensors and cameras can tell what you get off the shelf and put in a cart. You just load up what you need and walk out and it bills you for whatever you leave with. No checkout lines. Just bills your Amazon account.

Reactions: Deeeefense
Amazon was already in the grocery business, but just home delivery. The WF stores give them more distribution points close to a lot of the population as well as permitting pre-brought pickups. As I read elsewhere, home deliveries further reduce for personal autos. Things are a changin'.

yep - and we get fully autonomous driving vehicles in a few years this business becomes even more lucrative.

Reactions: Kaizer Sosay
They are already in the grocery delivery business and my guess is they now have bases all over the country from which they can expand that line of business, and deliver food from.

Edit: Sorry Deeefense, Just saw vhcat's post on this same subject.

Just stop calling it that. Claiborne field at CWS. Also, Riverfront, three Rivers, Jack Murphy, and Just plain Busch.

Let's just refer to it as "The Store", which is what we hillbillies say when we are going grocery shopping, no matter which store it is. We use Food City for about 90% of our shopping. with Kroger and Target getting a little business if we happen to be out that way, but they are all referred to as "The Store".

Hey, and have all you folks noticed how many recruits are focusing on this well publicized name change in their comments on UK?

Wait a just a minute . . . ., upon reflection I don't think anyone has mentioned it one way or the other. (Or did Jarren Williams say he recommitted in part because of the Kroger deal??)

Not sure if it was the Science Channel or Nova but there was a program about using drones to make all kind of deliveries. Sounds a little scary to me, will they knock on the door or just fly through the window? Of course the cars without intelligent life behind the wheel could be even scarier, but at least we know we already have quite a few of those on the road.

It's a gamble for Amazon. This is a big corporation with advanced delivery and marketing technologies buying a smaller corporation with a high quality product that satisfies a basic life need. If Amazon makes this acquisition work, it will forever change the way Americans shop for food. That's why Kroger's stock took a hit yesterday.

Maybe it's my age but I'm never buying food in a box mailed to me. And nobody is going to get my grocery list filled like Kroger and others are doing. I will shop on my own for food. :)

Reactions: BIGBLUEQ

Thanks, I needed that. good info, I had forgotten the details.

So, in addition to borrowing over $200,000,000 for what was a $110,000,000 job, the SEC contract, (Bama's) bowl games, this big signing bonus, and the yearly payoffs we might even have a few thousand from season ticket sales from a few die hard fans, lol. And then I hadn't heard about IMG giving us several million a year before all this other deluge of money. Not to mention that while a lot of SEC schools lose money on basketball UK basketball makes several million a year BECAUSE a lot of money has ALWAYS been thrown at it. Good business men invest in their money maker, and other SEC schools recognized that football was a much bigger money maker about a decade before mitch did.

I repeat, what in hell could mitch do but try to regain some of the millions he lost from ticket sales by throwing some money at football? None of the IMG installments could have been used to put carpet on the bare concrete floors of the "recruiting room" for all those years, lol, I understand that, but wouldn't the $156,000 spent on hanging some pictures on a wall somewhere have been a temporary fix for ALL the problems with the "recruiting room"?

But he had better be saving some money for the extra millions he obligated the athletic department for AND to replace the 6,000 seats he got rid of, because with the talent Stoops is pulling in if he and his staff can coach a lick (I think they can) those seats are going to be needed pretty soon.

Any truth to the rumor that the NCAA is going to make Transfer U remove some of their football seats? You heard it here first.

Ain't life fun.

Hey, and have all you folks noticed how many recruits are focusing on this well publicized name change in their comments on UK?

Wait a just a minute . . . ., upon reflection I don't think anyone has mentioned it one way or the other. (Or did Jarren Williams say he recommitted in part because of the Kroger deal??)

Personally I think that was the deciding factor, but it could have been all the excellent talent the coaches are bringing in to help him.

Maybe it's my age but I'm never buying food in a box mailed to me. And nobody is going to get my grocery list filled like Kroger and others are doing. I will shop on my own for food. :)

When me and Poe were young we had to walk uphill both ways to get to school . . . . in waist deep snow . . . . whilst fighting the Germans and the Japanese, and we LIKED IT!

Reactions: Poetax
When me and Poe were young we had to walk uphill both ways to get to school . . . . in waist deep snow . . . . whilst fighting the Germans and the Japanese, and we LIKED IT!

You got that right Hack. :)

ADVERTISEMENT