ADVERTISEMENT

Knox and the 2 spot

ThroughBlue

All-American
Aug 21, 2005
Andromeda
I see a lot of talk on here about Knox sliding over and playing the 2g position.

I don't think Knox can not defend a shooting guard. He will have his hands full defending true or smaller SF.

I haven't watched any of his games only highlights but that is the conclusion I have arrived at. Am I wrong?

I agree....he will struggle with high quality 2 guards, IMO.

If Diallo leaves he is going to have to play some 2 though.

His length will slow 2's and 3's.

Our length will be so long that our man to man will be a similar result to playing zone.

Probably an average reach on the floor of 7'. Wow.
So even though his foot speed should be slower, he can stay down in his stance, backed off a bit, and recover to either a shot or slow down a drive for help.

He can play the SG on offense and guard the SF on defense. Put Vanderbilt on the SG as he is much quicker laterally and can stay in front of SG's. I never understood why people think that if you play the SG in the offensive set, that you automatically have to guard the SG on defense.

Won't be as big as issue Knox guarding 2's as much if you have an elite shot blocker in the paint.​

Reactions: ubtrapper
With all this positionless talk I feel like we will be switching all ball screens anyway. So guess it's irrelevant as to whom you are guarding . Bottom line guard the ball.

I see a lot of talk on here about Knox sliding over and playing the 2g position.

I don't think Knox can not defend a shooting guard. He will have his hands full defending true or smaller SF.

I haven't watched any of his games only highlights but that is the conclusion I have arrived at. Am I wrong?
You are probably right. Whenever a 5 star player commits to us, a lot of people overreact. Time has shown that young players develop at different rates of speed, regardless of stars. Daniel Orton, Ryan Harrow Marcus Lee, Wenyen Gabriel, SKJ were 5 stars. Gabriel and SKJ may become all SEC players, but they are not OAD. They should be given time to develop. Kevin Knox is another 5 star, and his signing was a surprise. Knox should be given time to develop. People are overreacting to Knox's commitment. The discussion about Knox playing 2 seems based on 2 things - we don't know what Diallo will decide, and Knox can drain jump shots. But Knox has never played 2 in his life, and I haven't yet seen any evaluation by anyone in the player evaluation business that says Knox is a college 2. I still remember after Karl Towns signed, people were on here insisting he would be a 3 because of his jump shot. Calipari will decide how to use Knox. Just glad he is a Wildcat.

I prefer the size/length if we're going to switch. That strategy hurt us at times this year with Briscoe getting switched onto even bigger guys or Bam being drawn away from the rim, but by the end of the year we had figured out the timing of when to send the double and when to trap, so it worked.

Next year we should be able to switch everything, especially if/when we land Bamba.

Offensively, it'll work itself out. Four-out, one-in, and attack whoever is the weak link in the defense.

Or Post Knox/Vanderbilt/Washington whoever has the "2 guard" on them and just play bully ball.

Wow. We can play a 3-2-2 zone now. We will have a 2 on offense and a 2 on defense, so we get to play 1 more extra guy each game. Damn we should have a great advantage in every game. When did they change the rule for us. I'm confused. Wait a minute. Oh I get it now...... Sorry

ADVERTISEMENT