ADVERTISEMENT

Kiyaunta Goodwin

Nov 1, 2022
I think most people understood, that KG was going to be a project coming into college. A really exciting project, with lots of upside!! It has always been a challenge for Olinemen to play as true freshman, right out of high school. Especially Southern Indianan Football. I know there has been rumblings about this young man……. But does anybody have legitimate info on his progression. If so, would they like to share with the group. I Am still very excited about KG, and really just want to feel like he is still on schedule.

I think most people understood, that KG was going to be a project coming into college. A really exciting project, with lots of upside!! It has always been a challenge for Olinemen to play as true freshman, right out of high school. Especially Southern Indianan Football. I know there has been rumblings about this young man……. But does anybody have legitimate info on his progression. If so, would they like to share with the group. I Am still very excited about KG, and really just want to feel like he is still on schedule.
Goodwin was on the XP/FG units exclusively. Around midseason there was a report that he, Paul Rodriquez and Nik Hall were putting in extra work after practice....then heard nothing after that. Bowl and Spring practice will be very important for this player.

Last edited:
I was curious about him...was he playing a RT or an LT what types of reps was he getting? When you look back at his time here in Greater Louisville between Holy Cross, Ballard and I think Charlestown he really didn't play alot of football; not because he wasn't good but that he didn't stay at any one school for very long.

Reactions: Soupbean
Seems like we are trying to get both of our starting OTs for next year from the portal, probably means the staff isnt all that optimisitc about him at that position for next year at least. The move to Guard is interesting.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Last I heard he was getting a look inside at guard
If I were O line coach, this would have been my first move for KG.

Especially if he was struggling with the issues that were hinted at on here concerning his (in) ability to play tackle.

Seems like we are trying to get both of our starting OTs for next year from the portal, probably means the staff isnt all that optimisitc about him at that position for next year at least. The move to Guard is interesting.
Unfortunately it seems that from an athleticism point, everybody on our OL is a guard. The bigger ones, we try at tackle and the smaller ones we move to center.
I understand that true LT’s are scarce and that’s why they can play forever and get paid really well in the NFL and we have to make do with the best we can, but jeez louise , why can’t we get lucky once in a while?

Goodwin will need a major jump if he is to ever produce here. His physique isn't there. Plus his body style is a major obstacle for him especially ever playing LT

Reactions: catburglar
Geez....moving him to guard if that is what it is...then so be it.

But a huge let down if he can't stick at tackle IMO.

Reactions: mattrudd
If I were O line coach, this would have been my first move for KG.

Especially if he was struggling with the issues that were hinted at on here concerning his (in) ability to play tackle.

I agree playing inside would be his quickest route to the field. From the little I saw him play, special teams, just like every young OL he has to work on pad level. Lots of 5* OT out of HS end up at G, we have one right now.

Burton is a guard all the way.
Bingham is a good guard prospect and he’s a guard all the way
Bowles played exclusively inside for Bama …so he looks interior
If Horsey comes back…he’s way better at guard

I get pad level..but again that is teachable We need him to groom to be a tackle. Besides you take a five star kid and run his career at guard …that will always be something that will be recruited against you from here on out

Last edited:

I get pad level..but again that is teachable We need him to groom to be a tackle. Besides you take a five star kid and run his career at guard …that will always be something that will be recruited against you from here on out
I don’t see the NEED at G.
We need Tackles. Leave him there and let him develop. It might take 2 years but then you may have something!!!

Might not NEED a guard

But we might NEED to get him on the field....and not the portal
I wouldn't be surprised if that's where he ends up. Some scuttlebutt that it's gonna happen and Lil brother already recruiting him

• Wow
Reactions: catben
I can’t help but wonder if trying him at OG was just a way to throw bodies at that positions problem and also get him some game reps. I mean, about every blue blood wanted him and evaluated/projected him the same: 2-3 year starting LT and future NFL draft pick. I guess maybe they were all wrong but that probably doesn’t happen often, right?

I think we are a bit spoiled by Landon young and Darrian Kinnard contributing their FR seasons. Most OL need time to develop and sometimes unfortunately there are busts too.

I’m glass half full usually so I say as of Dec 2022 he’ll split reps at LT next season but takes the starting job by the bowl game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk
Thought Goodwin was a RT the first time I saw him on tape and still feel that way. Hope he can develop. I guess the question is...does he have the makeup to be a SEC lineman?

Reactions: HYTCHYE ISLAND

Pad level is teachable, and it will come with reps and better flexibility. I don't know if his feet or those of a OT or an OG. He has tremendous length. Nonsense about putting a 5* kid at G will be used against you. We have one starting at RG who was a 5* OT. He is excited to be starting. Bama has multiple 5* OL who are sitting behind transfers and hasn't hurt their recruiting.

Needs to get his body right first and foremost. And then it’s all about the feet. Hopefully he sticks around for a full off season and improve. If he is already considering transferring then it seems he and his representatives thought he was going to be better than reality when he stepped on campus.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity

You take a 5 star kid and he never sees the field I guess that is better for recruiting. SMH.

None of those players you listed as Guards were able to make it on the field this year, other than Burton. That poor kid got whipped or whiffed so many times at the LOS, I felt sorry for him, yet evidently those other guards you listed were even worse than Burton.

And yes, I know the deal on Horsey.

No way it helps your recruiting when it appears you can't develop a 5 star enough to get him on the field. Period.

Needs to get his body right first and foremost. And then it’s all about the feet. Hopefully he sticks around for a full off season and improve. If he is already considering transferring then it seems he and his representatives thought he was going to be better than reality when he stepped on campus.

This. He does not look to be in the shape he needs to be in and that's on him. It's compounded with him because of his odd body composition

90+% of "rumblings" on this board turn out to be inaccurate. As you said, Goodwin is a freshman who, like most freshmen, will need development.

So he became a 5* on size alone? In the last 7 yrs or so we've lost 2 Kentucky kids that were 5* OTS to Bama/Clemson. They both started as freshman.
Who believes Goodwin was heavily recruited only on the basis of size? Not me. Vince Marrow offered him a scholarship about 4 years ago. Everyone understood his upside. When he entered a development program and lost weight late in his hs career, that signalled that he was a hard worker with ambition. He was widely scouted and a large majority of SEC coaches offered Goodwin a scholarship. All of this is well known. I think Goodwin has played in every game this year, or almost every game.

Thinking back about true freshmen who have played on UK's OL under Stoops, I guess Darian Kinnard was the best. Landon Young was forced into action as a true freshman but did not play very well, although he became a great player later in his UK career. Typicaly, it takes at least a year or two to develop an OT.

On this board, too many people judge young football players too early. They judge without allowing development first, then they quickly diss the player. They never sem to learn. It is like a broken record. As far as I can see, Goodwin is still a prized player. I have heard wildly differing reports. Stoops and Marrow say Goodwin is hard worker who studies film and asks a lot of great questions. But on the public posting boards, fans are treating Goodwin rudely and terribly. It is embarrassing. I hope he becomes a solid player. Chances are he will.

You take a 5 star kid and he never sees the field I guess that is better for recruiting. SMH.

None of those players you listed as Guards were able to make it on the field this year, other than Burton. That poor kid got whipped or whiffed so many times at the LOS, I felt sorry for him, yet evidently those other guards you listed were even worse than Burton.

And yes, I know the deal on Horsey.

No way it helps your recruiting when it appears you can't develop a 5 star enough to get him on the field. Period.
1. Horsey from last year's Citrus bowl...should have never been moved off the guard spot. (Another reason why I struggle that Coen wants to keep him around....I actually thought Yenser was worse at his job than Scangerello)
2. Burton was pretty bad...2nd worst Oline only better than Flax IMO. Burton was put into starting a year to early IMO. He was an athletic kid but needed size...he's not quite there yet but I can give a Fr time to put on strength
3. As far rest...whY John Young never sniffed snaps is hard to figure out. But Bingham was a true Fr...and that kid was an absolute road grater in high school. I think he translates fine to college guard play. He was better than Aaron Dotson who both played the same kind of schools in HS and Dotson was not great but not awful. So I hold high hopes for Bingham.

If Goodwin is a guard then it is what it is.....but I'd love to see him learn pad level. He doesn't have great twitch even for an OLline to me. But I don't think he had slow feet...I'm hoping we can get a tackle otu of him yet.

1. Horsey from last year's Citrus bowl...should have never been moved off the guard spot. (Another reason why I struggle that Coen wants to keep him around....I actually thought Yenser was worse at his job than Scangerello)
2. Burton was pretty bad...2nd worst Oline only better than Flax IMO. Burton was put into starting a year to early IMO. He was an athletic kid but needed size...he's not quite there yet but I can give a Fr time to put on strength
3. As far rest...whY John Young never sniffed snaps is hard to figure out. But Bingham was a true Fr...and that kid was an absolute road grater in high school. I think he translates fine to college guard play. He was better than Aaron Dotson who both played the same kind of schools in HS and Dotson was not great but not awful. So I hold high hopes for Bingham.

If Goodwin is a guard then it is what it is.....but I'd love to see him learn pad level. He doesn't have great twitch even for an OLline to me. But I don't think he had slow feet...I'm hoping we can get a tackle otu of him yet.
I don't know why you think Burton was so bad. He was one of four offensive linemen to make the SEC all freshman team. That doesn't sound like someone who generally played poorly to me. He may have had some bad moments, but it sounds like the people who evaluate those things thought pretty highly of him.

Who believes Goodwin was heavily recruited only on the basis of size? Not me. Vince Marrow offered him a scholarship about 4 years ago. Everyone understood his upside. When he entered a development program and lost weight late in his hs career, that signalled that he was a hard worker with ambition. He was widely scouted and a large majority of SEC coaches offered Goodwin a scholarship. All of this is well known. I think Goodwin has played in every game this year, or almost every game.

Thinking back about true freshmen who have played on UK's OL under Stoops, I guess Darian Kinnard was the best. Landon Young was forced into action as a true freshman but did not play very well, although he became a great player later in his UK career. Typicaly, it takes at least a year or two to develop an OT.

On this board, too many people judge young football players too early. They judge without allowing development first, then they quickly diss the player. They never sem to learn. It is like a broken record. As far as I can see, Goodwin is still a prized player. I have heard wildly differing reports. Stoops and Marrow say Goodwin is hard worker who studies film and asks a lot of great questions. But on the public posting boards, fans are treating Goodwin rudely and terribly. It is embarrassing. I hope he becomes a solid player. Chances are he will.
So, we had an offensive line this year that everybody thought was terribly weak and I think the results were proof positive. He nor any of the other young guys could get snaps. I just don't see this as a good sign for our future oline.

Last edited:
As far as we know now, our 2023 OL roster-

2023 is final year of scheduled eligibility

Eli Cox
Marquez Cox (MAYBE; N IL transfer; recent UK crystal ball pick)
Jeremy Flax
Ken Horsey (if he comes back)

Two seasons left after 2022

Tanner Bowles
Deondre Buford

Three seasons left

Jager Burton
Kiyaunta Goodwin
Josh Jones
Paul Rodriguez
David Wohlabaugh

Four seasons left

Grant Bingham
Nik Hall

Verbal commitments for 2023 class

Koby Keenum
Austin Ramsey
Malachi Wood

So, we had an offensive line this year that everybody thought was terribly weak and I think the results were proof positive. He nor any of the other young guys could get snaps. I just don't see this as a good sign for our future oline.
We will find out. I am not as pessimistic about it as you.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
He's 6 foot 8. Don't waste time at guard. Him being manhandled out of position probably pushes him to portal as much as not playing. Put him at right tackle pushing Flax. Hope the light bulb comes on.

Reactions: mattrudd
I don't know why you think Burton was so bad. He was one of four offensive linemen to make the SEC all freshman team. That doesn't sound like someone who generally played poorly to me. He may have had some bad moments, but it sounds like the people who evaluate those things thought pretty highly of him.
Jager Burton is a very athletic lineman with good feet, who will be more effective as he gets stronger. For a freshman, he had a pretty good season on the whole. He played better in November, so he is learning. I think the initial hope of the staff was that Horsey would be their starting LG and Burton would take over that starting job in 2023.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
I could care less about SEC all Fr team...Burton was brutal and not good in 2022. He improved as the year wore on which is really positive...but he was not good as a whole.

Bingham was a true Fr...and that kid was an absolute road grater in high school

Not exactly. He rarely did any traditional run blocking. They ran an option type offense where he would always turn his man loose and get down field. So it's unclear how he will translate to college as it's an entirely different approach for him.

That said....he showed and incredible amount of agility that size in being able to constantly block smaller guys in space.

He could be a monster wide zone guy for sure.

I could care less about SEC all Fr team...Burton was brutal and not good in 2022. He improved as the year wore on which is really positive...but he was not good as a whole.

No clue how Burton made all freshman. I guess he must be one of only five freshman ol in the sec or something. Or it's the same people that had Cox as mid season all American last year

Reactions: cathouse
Not exactly. He rarely did any traditional run blocking. They ran an option type offense where he would always turn his man loose and get down field. So it's unclear how he will translate to college as it's an entirely different approach for him.

That said....he showed and incredible amount of agility that size in being able to constantly block smaller guys in space.

He could be a monster wide zone guy for sure.
I saw him play multiple times in Paintsville....I don't know what you mean by traditional run blocking but they ran right off tackle where he was all the game, he'd pull and block and on their occasional pass it was a ton of short stuff he'd pull out like screens.

I think he is tremendous powering kids and he can move his feet. I personally stated he was better than Landon Young in HS IMO. For sure a bigger kid. I love the kid's potential for UK>

All this talk about someone who is 19 and a freshman in college playing in the SEC. And then people will wonder why some kids just transfer out. Let him develop. So many people complain that athletes no longer stick around to develop while simultaneously ready to push them out the door after their first year playing in the best league in college football.

Reactions: Deanthecat
ADVERTISEMENT