ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk Ferentz Remarks Today About Mark Stoops

rucker4

Freshman
Dec 8, 2021
Thought you'd like. Utmost respect for all the Stoops' from Iowa.

Q. When Mark Stoops was a player, did you think of him as future head coaching material? What's your reaction to the success he's had at Kentucky where so many coaches have struggled?

KIRK FERENTZ:
First thing I always remember about Mark is when he was sitting in Bill Brashier's office, Coach Fry's longtime defensive coordinator. Bill came in the staff meeting later that day and just said, I had to remind he's a Stoops because I swear he looked like he was 13. Young, not very put together at that point, coming out of high school. But all three of them played for us basically in the '80s. One of our safeties was always No. 41, a Stoops. All three of them were excellent players, the kind of players you could really see becoming a coach. Phil Parker is on our staff. This is crazy.

I was an assistant for nine years in the '80s. I used to watch him play, thinking he could be related to the Stoops, just the way he played. He was a smart, tough player. I'd say the same thing about all three of the Stoops brothers. But Mark has done an outstanding job. I'm not an expert on the history of Kentucky football, but I'm not surprised at all because Mark comes from a great football background. He's a serious football guy, a great guy. That's what it takes, it takes a lot of work and effort. Obviously Mark has done that. I'm really very, very happy for him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT