ADVERTISEMENT

kinda agree with this...

I like Mike but he's just wrong here.

You aren't going to create a deterrent by making programs re-pay money, or keeping them from being competitive for a few years. If that's all you want to throw around forget it, there's no real risk in cheating.

Taking away the accomplishments IS the ultimate penalty. That's why they went light elsewhere, losing a title is a devastating nightmare. Louisville has no guarantee they'll ever see another,

The NCAA wanted to hit them where it hurts the most, and we have proof that the banner is just that.

Take a poll of

Pitino
those players
Jurich
Staff
Louisville fans.

They will give you whatever you want to keep the banner. That means the NCAA hit them where it MATTERS. Period.

Money will have the least impact.

Vacated games and banners.
Scholarship reductions down to like 6.
Post season bans.
Television ban.

UK got a tv ban over one player allegedly getting shipped $1000 and one player who was deemed to have cheated on the SAT. One year TV ban two seasons banned from post season play. Kind of agree with mike in this article, Louisville was hit hard but should have benn hit harder. UNC should be darn near dealt the death penalty (it was heavily discussed for UK in 89).

At the risk of sounding cheesy, it is the sanctity of the banner or banners that is most important, or would be to me if it were UK.

We got the sledge back in '89. Just bent over. But if we had just won a title in '86, I would have taken the punishment we got over having to say that our title didn't count.

Saw a great thing on Twitter today saying we should love Pitino again. He resurrected our program and has taken theirs down! Win/Win!

p.s. Where have some of you gotten the idea that DeCourcy is suggesting UL pay money instead of or in addition to the penalties already levied? DeCourcy isn't suggesting any such thing. And based on his generally very high and orthodox understanding of the college basketball world, I would expect if he did suggest any Specific further punishment, it would be along the lines of TV/postseason ban, loss of scholarships, coach/staff dismissal, etc.

I do agree with you all that I don't want UL paying any heavy fines here, at least not to the NCAA. Essentially all the money UL has in their athletics coffers was stolen from KY taxpayers and then laundered. The last way to fix that situation is to assign that money to the (at-least-nearly) equally corrupt NCAA.

I wouldn't mind seeing UL forced to give some of that money back to the taxpayers they stole it from, though. Not that it would ever happen.

I like Mike but he's just wrong here.

You aren't going to create a deterrent by making programs re-pay money, or keeping them from being competitive for a few years. If that's all you want to throw around forget it, there's no real risk in cheating.

Taking away the accomplishments IS the ultimate penalty. That's why they went light elsewhere, losing a title is a devastating nightmare. Louisville has no guarantee they'll ever see another,

The NCAA wanted to hit them where it hurts the most, and we have proof that the banner is just that.

Take a poll of

Pitino
those players
Jurich
Staff
Louisville fans.

They will give you whatever you want to keep the banner. That means the NCAA hit them where it MATTERS. Period.
I disagree a bit. I think the NCAA has learned over the years to be a bit clinical in their approach, and that is much safer. Were they disgusted by UL? Yep, did they want to punish them severely, I'm certain they did, but how they did it was appropriate and beyond reasonable complaint. Instead of the punishment looking like a vendetta, it became a natural result of actions. It's all about player eligibility. Once they ruled those 3 guys ineligible, the rest was the natural fall of the dominoes. UL, in effect, is punishing themselves. They should have known about these parties and self reported, but they did neither. They played everyone. Oh well is the response from the NCAA, they were ineligible so give us a list of games they played in during this date range. Those games must be vacated and any NCAA monies obtained for any of those games refunded. There is no vendetta, no anger from the NCAA, just a clinical hammering on UL by UL. Reap what you sow. I think this will be the pattern of the NCAA going forward. No more of Emmert acting like a King and meting out punishment on his whim. Nope, here are the rules, this is the rule you broke, this is the punishment for breaking that rule. Pretty simple and the way it should have always been. UNCheat will see a similar, expanded fate, at their own hands.

Reactions: UKspecial38
Did he really right, "we had no attraction for Miss Powell and her shenanigans, especially paying "?
What a dumbass. He admits they got it for free

Like I said, I'm new to all this but if you are suggesting anything other than me not being a Wildcat fan you are sadly mistaken. Never been anything other but I really don't have to explain myself to someone who knows nothing about me.

DeCourcy has always been the best sports journalist out there. Bilas needs to just shut the hell up and listen to him.

Reactions: 59coop
Dang DeCourcy... :fire::fire::fire:

"The infractions committee members were so sweet to U of L basketball they should have attached a greeting card and chocolates.

Pitino said indignantly upon learning of the penalties, “Personally, I’ve lost faith in the NCAA.”

The NCAA is a vast, expansive organization that includes many wonderful people who do excellent work. Although its members rotate in and out from time to time, the infractions committee rarely ranks among them. One cannot lose faith in those who never earned it in the first place."

The fact that so many Louisville fans, coaches, former players, etc are screaming that they should fine them and leave the banner should be all the proof you need that the banner matters the most.

Tom Jurich doesn't give an F about the money because it wouldn't be his money. He'd just take more from the citizens of Louisville and put the leftovers in his son's pocket.

Embarrass them. Take their seasons. Crush them going forward. They've done two of the three so far. Looks like they'll skate on any additional postseason bans.

Should have been worse, but I'll take it.

UK got a tv ban over one player allegedly getting shipped $1000 and one player who was deemed to have cheated on the SAT. One year TV ban two seasons banned from post season play. Kind of agree with mike in this article, Louisville was hit hard but should have benn hit harder. UNC should be darn near dealt the death penalty (it was heavily discussed for UK in 89).
I've always believed the ncaa takes the "where there's smoke, there's fire" view. Thus I've always believed they nailed UK so hard because of all rumors that swirled around the program during the Rupp, Hall and Sutton years.

Reactions: morgousky
IMO, I like the "natural consequence" approach taken by the ncaa in this case. It's never made sense, penalizing current players for violations that occurred years earlier. You play with ineligible players, you don't get credit for the wins. On the other hand, if it happened to UK, I'd still wear my National Championship shirt around; would still talk about the nc; would tell my kids about it; and where teams have crap like "white-outs", I'd start a movement to have a national championship celebration night (among fans).
For me, not being a big bball fan, it's ALL about the banner.

It's not about the money. Money can be replaced. It's about all those wins and the 2012 and 2013 banners. For the NCAA to punish UofL in a just and fair manner, the wins and the banners have to be vacated. Anything less and it's just a slap on the wrist.

Reactions: morgousky
The fact that so many Louisville fans, coaches, former players, etc are screaming that they should fine them and leave the banner should be all the proof you need that the banner matters the most.

Tom Jurich doesn't give an F about the money because it wouldn't be his money. He'd just take more from the citizens of Louisville and put the leftovers in his son's pocket.

Embarrass them. Take their seasons. Crush them going forward. They've done two of the three so far. Looks like they'll skate on any additional postseason bans.

Should have been worse, but I'll take it.

Exactly.

Did he really right, "we had no attraction for Miss Powell and her shenanigans, especially paying "?
What a dumbass. He admits they got it for free

McGee paid the girls. Probably out of his own pocket to maintain deniability. Does Russ really think we don't know that?

Men are stupid. They screw around and never think the women are going to keep evidence that will incriminate them.

Reactions: Blueaz
It's not about the money. Money can be replaced. It's about all those wins and the 2012 and 2013 banners. For the NCAA to punish UofL in a just and fair manner, the wins and the banners have to be vacated. Anything less and it's just a slap on the wrist.

Games involving ineligible players ALWAYS get vacated. Otherwise the eligibility rules don't mean anything. I have zero doubt that Memphis would have lost the banner if they had beaten Kansas in 2008. Michigan would have if they had won in 1992 or 93.

Reactions: uky8unc5
Agree totally, but you have to think the financial penalties are greatly magnified by it happening commensurate with the newly made public financial abuse by the so-called leadership of the university.

Depends on how you look at it...money could seriously cripple a school depending on what school, ie a mid major, and it's ability to ever be relevant again moving forward, so in a sense you didn't really hurt anything from the past but the school moving forward. Taking them off tv, banning them from post seasons, etc can hurt

I don't think money issues would affect uofl, as dirty as their entire AD and admin are.

IMO, I like the "natural consequence" approach taken by the ncaa in this case. It's never made sense, penalizing current players for violations that occurred years earlier. You play with ineligible players, you don't get credit for the wins. On the other hand, if it happened to UK, I'd still wear my National Championship shirt around; would still talk about the nc; would tell my kids about it; and where teams have crap like "white-outs", I'd start a movement to have a national championship celebration night (among fans).
For me, not being a big bball fan, it's ALL about the banner.
No sympathy from me for current players at Uvel or UNC, anyone dumb enough to go there with that big storm cloud hanging over them can just suck it up

Major Violations should be "both/and" in penalties.
PAST: Vacating games with ineligible players + Loss of money.
PRESENT: Permission of innocent players to freely transfer with no waiting.
FUTURE: Probation for multiple years.

Last edited:
McGee paid the girls. Probably out of his own pocket to maintain deniability. Does Russ really think we don't know that?

Men are stupid. They screw around and never think the women are going to keep evidence that will incriminate them.
Preach it sister

No sympathy from me for current players at Uvel or UNC, anyone dumb enough to go there with that big storm cloud hanging over them can just suck it up

This. Pitino should have been suspended for a year and they should have had one year post season ban (well, they should have told them they could have played in that CIT tournament gave them a chance to hang a banner that has be vacated)

oops_zpsyq2lgj8n.jpeg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT