ADVERTISEMENT

Keyshawn Johnson asks Bill Walton during broadcast what was the name of your and Wooden's money man?

Dec 13, 2016
On the ESPNU broadcast which is what I'm watching because the best broadcaster in all of sports is Bill Walton and much rather hear what he has to say thaN any of those other tools. But Keyshawn on the air kept asking Walton over and over again how much was your paycheck to go to UCLA i forgot the name of Wooden's money man. Incase anyone didn't know he was referring to the many of years in which Wooden bought players nation wide to form national championship teams. The money man in which he was referring to was I believe Sam Gilbert IIRC? Wooden much like coach k and ol Roy was untouchable. Wooden is the most disgusting despicable human being in the history of college basketball behind maybe Dean Smith (the enforcer of UNC's academic fraud that spanned 25 years) and completely ruined and disgraced college ball for over a decade. The fact that this man is decorated as much as he is is very shameful for the sport.

Glad Keyshawn spoke his mind about that by asking Walton over and over again how much he got paid and who Wooden's bag/money man was again. Walton you could tell had guilt he didn't answer the question the first few times it was asked and then eventually said he was paid in education thru a academic scholarship but by his tone you could tell he wasn't being serious and if you all remember correctly he in a book in the past I believe has admitted to being paid by UCLA, he made a remark along the lines of he took a pay cut going from college to the NBA. People need to voice how much of a cheating disgrace wooden was as much as humanly possible. If Pete Rose cheated baseball then what would the analogy be for wooden and basketball because he way more than just cheated the game. He didn't just cheat the game he ruined the game by stooping to levels in which no other coaches would stoop to because the type of scum he was no one else was willing to be. Truly the scum of all scum in college basketball and maybe even college athletics besides Sandusky he's the only one that makes Wooden seem like a great man. Wooden makes Pitino and Sutton look like saints.

Last edited:
Key is a USC alum, no wonder he is giving him grief.

I really like Key. If you wonder why, check my username.

UCLA did get busted, just not until the early 80s. Had to vacate their runner-up in 1980.
Yea. Sounds like Wooden was protected and they decided to not take all the titles that were paid for away. It sickens me that there are 10 paid for titles that for some reason people actually count as legit titles when they were on a different playing field? He was the only coach allowed to buy players. No other coaches were allowed to buy players, other coaches would've gotten in trouble and practically banned had they done what he did. i guess he had won so many titles and the name became so powerful that they decided not to do anything because it would hurt the brand? Only thing that makes sense to me.

Same way that's the only thing that makes sense to me as to why UNC is even allowed to participate in competitive games let alone play in the NCAAT, same way that 3 titles should be stripped and still haven't. Same reason i guess ol academic fraud Roy is allowed to coach still. NCAA too scared to hurt the brand? Because if UK (Or any school outside the state of NC) were in UNC's shoes, you could count your blessings that every win would be vacated. Duke also has a couple titles accumulated from cheating when you look at the magette situation, etc. if that were also UK. Banners would go down. But it isn't news to anyone that the NCAA is crooked.

Yea. Sounds like Wooden was protected and they decided to not take all the titles that were paid for away. It sickens me that there are 10 paid for titles that for some reason people actually count as legit titles when they were on a different playing field? He was the only coach allowed to buy players. No other coaches were allowed to buy players, other coaches would've gotten in trouble and practically banned had they done what he did. i guess he had won so many titles and the name became so powerful that they decided not to do anything because it would hurt the brand? Only thing that makes sense to me.

Same way that's the only thing that makes sense to me as to why UNC is even allowed to participate in competitive games let alone play in the NCAAT, same way that 3 titles should be stripped and still haven't. Same reason i guess ol academic fraud Roy is allowed to coach still. NCAA too scared to hurt the brand? Because if UK (Or any school outside the state of NC) were in UNC's shoes, you could count your blessings that every win would be vacated. Duke also has a couple titles accumulated from cheating when you look at the magette situation, etc. if that were also UK. Banners would go down. But it isn't news to anyone that the NCAA is crooked.

North Carolina paid ball players back in the late fifties and sixties from the New York City area.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Also, Walton has admitted to taking LSD in the UCLA locker room and says all the coaches knew.

UCLA will never be touched because then the NCAA would have to invlaidate all those seasons they won the title. I know Wooden's last year UK got the shaft in the title game, but would it really feel like #9 if the NCAA said UCLA cheated (which they obviously did) and declared UK the Champions all these years later?

This is the same reason I don't think anything will happen to UNC. They can't invlaidate those seasons. Same with Duke and the Magette - Myron Piggy payoffs and the PG from 2010 (I think) who got like $250K of jewelry.

This happens in other sports too. The NFL covered for the Patriots. College Football covered over Ohio St.

I dont think they would award the championship to anyone else if they took UCLAs championship. It still would be recorded as a loss for UK. So no, it wouldnt feel like #9 because it would still be a loss.

The more massive the cheating the easier it is to overlook by the NCAA. So the lesson from this is cheat hard and cheat long. Then deny, deny, deny.

Walton was awesome on that broadcast. He kept calling Keyshawn "Joe" Hey Joe, where'd you play? Were you any good? Are you a Hall of Famer? Who's that number 4 for Clemson? Is he any good?

It would be horrible if the NCAA went back and began penalizing all teams for their actions decades ago, unless they are still occurring.
Every single team has skeletons, and some are might boney.

Walton was awesome on that broadcast. He kept calling Keyshawn "Joe" Hey Joe, where'd you play? Were you any good? Are you a Hall of Famer? Who's that number 4 for Clemson? Is he any good?

I can't believe some people on here actually watch that. I watch the regular broadcast and Finebaum film room. I've heard a lot of Sports Talk Radio guys say that Walton channel was terrible

Has there ever been a book published that reveals what REALLY went on in the Wooden era? I would love to read it if it exists.

I can't believe how many people on this board believe that UK has been a bastion of doing things cleanly while ripping on Wooden and others. UK basketball was an extension of SEC football (in terms of money handshakes, nice cars, free meals at nice restaurants, etc etc etc) from the 50s all the way up to C.M. Newton cleaning it up after Eddie Sutton.

I'm not proud of this. But I don't listen to the IU/Bobby Knight fans who give us crap about it, either, because there isn't a clean program in the country. Not one. Ask any agent off the record.

Did you watch the 30 for 30 on the Fab Five? Jalen Rose trying to act like they ate Rice Krispies in the dorm because they weren't getting anything, then admitting Chris Webber got a couple hundred grand. And they didn't know about it/share in it? Come on.

College sports has been dirty forever. You either accept that as part of the deal when you're asking kids to bust it for the coach every day or you find something else to watch.

Reactions: Leatherface1983
I never knew Sandusky was a part of the college roundball game. You learn something new everyday.

Replace Sandusky with B. Knight, Billy G, Andre McGhee (hiring prostitutes for under age recruits worse then paying players), Pitino, Bernie Fine... Wooden isn't even close

I can't believe how many people on this board believe that UK has been a bastion of doing things cleanly while ripping on Wooden and others. UK basketball was an extension of SEC football (in terms of money handshakes, nice cars, free meals at nice restaurants, etc etc etc) from the 50s all the way up to C.M. Newton cleaning it up after Eddie Sutton.

I'm not proud of this. But I don't listen to the IU/Bobby Knight fans who give us crap about it, either, because there isn't a clean program in the country. Not one. Ask any agent off the record.

Did you watch the 30 for 30 on the Fab Five? Jalen Rose trying to act like they ate Rice Krispies in the dorm because they weren't getting anything, then admitting Chris Webber got a couple hundred grand. And they didn't know about it/share in it? Come on.

College sports has been dirty forever. You either accept that as part of the deal when you're asking kids to bust it for the coach every day or you find something else to watch.
Yes I understand some form of cheating goes on pretty much everywhere to this day. But besides Sutton. Who won zero titles. Who's cheated at the helm of UK bball? How many titles has UK won that you can say were paid for? Because I can count 10 for UCLA. Big difference.

Did UK receive penalties for cheating? Did UCLA receive penalties for cheating? Has UNC received penalties for their athletes taking fake classes? Are there different answers for the above three questions? If there are different answers, why is that?

In my opinion going after UCLA at this point would be useless. UNC still has a coach who was an active participant and the school has actively shielded their cheating through obfuscation and PR. UNC needs to be fried.

College football and basketball players have always been paid. If you think differently, you are naive.

Yes--and basketball players get far more $ and it's far more dirty due to less players needed. As dirty as CFB recruiting is/can get--I'd put basketball at 75% worse.

20170109190247.jpg

On the ESPNU broadcast which is what I'm watching because the best broadcaster in all of sports is Bill Walton and much rather hear what he has to say thaN any of those other tools. But Keyshawn on the air kept asking Walton over and over again how much was your paycheck to go to UCLA i forgot the name of Wooden's money man. Incase anyone didn't know he was referring to the many of years in which Wooden bought players nation wide to form national championship teams. The money man in which he was referring to was I believe Sam Gilbert IIRC? Wooden much like coach k and ol Roy was untouchable. Wooden is the most disgusting despicable human being in the history of college basketball behind maybe Dean Smith (the enforcer of UNC's academic fraud that spanned 25 years) and completely ruined and disgraced college ball for over a decade. The fact that this man is decorated as much as he is is very shameful for the sport.

Glad Keyshawn spoke his mind about that by asking Walton over and over again how much he got paid and who Wooden's bag/money man was again. Walton you could tell had guilt he didn't answer the question the first few times it was asked and then eventually said he was paid in education thru a academic scholarship but by his tone you could tell he wasn't being serious and if you all remember correctly he in a book in the past I believe has admitted to being paid by UCLA, he made a remark along the lines of he took a pay cut going from college to the NBA. People need to voice how much of a cheating disgrace wooden was as much as humanly possible. If Pete Rose cheated baseball then what would the analogy be for wooden and basketball because he way more than just cheated the game. He didn't just cheat the game he ruined the game by stooping to levels in which no other coaches would stoop to because the type of scum he was no one else was willing to be. Truly the scum of all scum in college basketball and maybe even college athletics besides Sandusky he's the only one that makes Wooden seem like a great man. Wooden makes Pitino and Sutton look like saints.

If you think Walton is the best announcer out there, you must be his father.

I can't believe some people on here actually watch that. I watch the regular broadcast and Finebaum film room. I've heard a lot of Sports Talk Radio guys say that Walton channel was terrible
It was funny. You and your sports radio guys can watch whatever you want. I guarantee I had more fun than you did watching the game.

His son is alot more grounded in reality. How that happened I have no idea. The guy coaches the Lakers.... What the fuk? The son of the craziest stoner bastard in the United States, second to none, is the head freaking coach of the Lakers. Luke Walton is actually a pretty decent coach even:okay:. It amazes me honestly.

Pass the dutchie to the left hand side, Pass the dutchie to the left had side..Love me some Musical Youth..

Regards,

The Big Red head from La Mesa, CA..

If you think Walton is the best announcer out there, you must be his father.
If Walton is announcing a game, sometimes a game between 2 very bad teams like San Fran and Santa Clara type bad. I'm watching, no matter what. The guy is pure entertainment and makes basketball fun to watch regardless of how good the game is or isn't. Definitely the best in the biz. And if Gus Johnson didn't exist there would be no close second.

ADVERTISEMENT