ADVERTISEMENT

Keys to the Ole Miss game

Old_Red

All-American
Jun 7, 2001
OK, so no one is predicting an upset, but what are the keys for Ole Miss to keep it under the predicted spread? I think Sagarin has that at around 25 now.

Ole Miss has some height (6 players over 6'8" - although one hasn't played at all) but most of their scoring comes from the guards. The site I was looking at didn't have the minutes per game so I don't know if they are platooning the frontcourt but they haven't been overly productive.

Keys for Ole Miss IMO:

* Shoot lights out from the perimeter
* Zone Kentucky effectively to make us perimeter oriented
* Limit fouls on the front court via the zone
* Hope Kentucky is lazy and rusty from the days off

The Cats may show some rust the 1st half but should roll the second half. Hoping Andrew H can get out of his recent funk which I think he will.

I will go out on a limb and say that UK will not show ANY rust whatsoever. In fact, I think the extra time allowed this team to work on some things that will show improvement. I am looking for us to come out looking better than we have in some games this year. I think if Ol Miss is to beat the spread, it will come from UK getting lax in the 2nd half more than in the first.

Let me be the first to predict an UPSET !

....... that Ole Miss will keep us from covering the point spread !
wink.r191677.gif
(ok so, at least give me some credit - I was TRYING !)

This game will be very tightly contested; right up until tip off. Write it down.

i watched them play dayton their last game. although ud only won by 4 i think, om was pretty much dominated in the 2d half. what's interesting is dayton has no one on their roster over 6'6'. more likely to see elvis tues night than an upset.

Originally posted by blubo:
i watched them play dayton their last game. although ud only won by 4 i think, om was pretty much dominated in the 2d half. what's interesting is dayton has no one on their roster over 6'6'. more likely to see elvis tues night than an upset.
Baby-faced Miller can coach.

Let's get real. Ole Miss doesn't reside on the same planet as UK this season. That's not a slight to the Rebs. UK will not cover the spread because Cal will call off the dogs down the stretch.

Keys for Ole Miss:

Try like hell not to get beat by 30
Try to score 20 in the first half
Hold the Cats under 10 blocks

Key to Ole Miss is the custodian unlocking the doors to Rupp with it!

All due honesty I believe the Cats will come out firing on all cylinders hungry for conference season.

bluinbville
Senior
Post #3975
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
Re: Keys to the Ole Miss game

Baby-faced Miller can coach.
1/4 11:16 AM | IP: Logged
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I am not as interested in point spreads or what Ole Miss intends to do as much as observing what is the latest "tweak" to the offense that Cal mentioned. I also hope to see more skill in the half court sets rather than lobs (notice we did not have one lob against UL? Those type of plays are less available against good teams).

Ultimately, I hope to see improvement in drives to the paint that then result in passes/assists for open looks that are hit. I see the only true team that could predictably challenge Kentucky this season will be Duke (and to a slightly less situation, Wisconsin with their ball control). If we can improve on not having unforced turn-overs, creating inside out with shots being hit, then I see our defense better than Duke's so if our offense matches than it will lead to the championship.

Ole miss is 48th overall at rebounding....that is their best trait.

Not that good at assists......so I expect some steals early on.

IMO they have 2 good wins in Creighton and Cincy.

White could have a good game from 3......he shoots it pretty well.

But other than that...im expecting us to do the following:

1. Block Shots
2. Attack the basket
3. Rebound
4. Make free throws
5. Have fun and Win!

Here is what UK has to do. Just show up to the game, and play like normal. That should net us a 20-25 point win easily.

I look for the Cats to be ready for some competition other than each other and we take it to the Rebels from the get-go. We may not cover the spread but we should win easily.

I know it was Austin Peay but I thought the Rebel guards looked real good. We just have to take care of our own business.

Originally posted by docholiday51:

Keys for Ole Miss:

Try like hell not to get beat by 30
Try to score 20 in the first half
Hold the Cats under 10 blocks
Sounds like the plan for most teams. Shoot it 9 times and say well they didn't get 10 blocks.

I think the 10 day rest will help UK after playing a pretty tough Non-Conference Schedule going 13-0. I thought before this break in the UNC and UCLA games we started hitting better from the outside and 3 point shooting. Booker, Ullis, and Harrison all were doing better from the outside. Hope the Harrison's start to shoot better like last year when the improvement started coming at end of SEC Play into March Madness.
I saw Ole Miss a couple of times this year and they have a decent team. I saw the Western Kentucky and Dayton games and neither game was Ole Miss hitting their shots. They have 4-5 guards that are pretty good guards but not alot underneath. Summers, Moody, White, and Newby at guards and then a couple of 6'9 PF in Saiz and Rhett. Once again UK has too much talent and playing at home should result in double digit win. It will be interesting to see now that we are in Conference Play to see how each team will come play us. In past SEC Conference years all teams come out playing like #1 teams in the nation against UK. It will be interesting with our talent and platoon this year to see how well the SEC teams fare against us this year. The SEC teams that I have watched and been most impressed with is LSU and Arkansas. Most of the SEC teams have 4 or more losses already to start Conference Play. Arkansas we play at Rupp this year and LSU is on the Road after we play Florida on the Road. Those 2 games Feb. 7 and 10th vs. Florida and LSU on the Road could be our toughest games in the SEC this year.

Some above have hit it.

1. Remember where Rupp Arena is.
2. Show Up
3. See 1 & 2

I know that makes us seem cocky as fans, but no way are we losing at Rupp Arena this year. It will take a near perfect game from our opponent for us to lose on the road too.

I predict a HUGE upset

.............. UK fan or two to post like negative nancies because we didnt win by enough points.

But for Ole miss to keep this thing close, 2 things and 2 things only. Foul the EFFFKKK out of UK and hope it doesnt get called and then the second thing is to hit threes.

Originally posted by Wildcat-in-STL:
I predict a HUGE upset

.............. UK fan or two to post like negative nancies because we didnt win by enough points.

But for Ole miss to keep this thing close, 2 things and 2 things only. Foul the EFFFKKK out of UK and hope it doesnt get called and then the second thing is to hit threes.
I didn't think they had that much depth to foul too much. I could see a player come into Rupp and go crazy from 3 because we've seen it happen, but the way we've played defense would make that tough. Still after the long layoff, we could come out playing D with our hands down. Once a team starts hitting 3's in a game where they are not supposed to be in it, anything can happen. I'm still predicting that we beat them right around the spread.

Ole Miss leads the nation in free throw shooting. They have 5 players shooting better than 80%. There is your key to the game. Watch who the referees are.

I heard Cal in his presser talking about how the blue team smashed the white team earlier in the week, and then two days later the white team smashed the blue team. There was some jawing amongst the players. They seem to have an edge about them right now.

I would NOT want to be Ole Miss during this game. ~shudder~

ADVERTISEMENT