ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky -- UCLA --- Gamethread

I rarely question Cal, but inexcusable for Mulder to not even see the floor in a game like this.
What I don't get is the apparent stubbornness. Each year there is unmatched loyalty to some players regardless of results. I know, I know I don't go to practice, yada yards, but BRISCOE just attempted the 2nd most 3 pointers today (making none), dribbled out of bounds 3 times got beat often and Mulder can't sniff the floor? At some point someone needs to tell Briscoe he is open from 3 for a reason.

I've always been against Coach Cal's switch everything defense and this game is exactly why. Why every other team can screen us to death and get good open looks and mismatches and we don't change a thing to stop it is beyond me?

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
Need 3's and most of them taken by Fox and Briscoe at the end. No Mulder all game to counter their shooting. Just a poor job by the team and Coach Cal.

I get that Mulder isn't good defensively but who was today? give him a shot, see if he will rise to the occasion. they have to guard him too.

Reactions: fisherscatfan
UCLA just made shots. If you make shots you can play with anyone. Most were with a hand in their face. Name a team they wouldn't have beat today. It's early December. We will improve. Bashing the players and coach over it is petty

I know it's only December..but at what point does Cal start taking serious heat for his teams getting beat by less talented teams and teams they were favored to beat ? Let's face it..he puts NBA talent filled teams on the floor every damn game..Wisconsin, UCLA twice, Texas A&M, both UCONN games, Arkansas twice, Tennessee last year, WVU, etc ? 2012 year was amazing..but besides that..I've seen blown opportunities vs. WVU, Wisconsin, UCONN twice, getting beat by Florida three times in a season, getting beat by Robert Morris in the NIT. I get it..Coach Cal saved us from the awful Gillispie and Tubby years..but at some point, like Tubby..he has to start answering to this kind of BS. UCLA was out manned, less talented overall..and they kicked our as IN RUPP.

Sounds like we should have won every game, or it would have been a failure to you.

Reactions: Aike
I get that Mulder isn't good defensively but who was today? give him a shot, see if he will rise to the occasion. they have to guard him too.
I hear you, but we scored 92 -- you expect to win if you score that many.
I see the difference in the game as some of the ungodly 3s they jacked up.
These teams looked pretty evenly matched today. hate to say it but they are the real deal.

UCLA just made shots. If you make shots you can play with anyone. Most were with a hand in their face. Name a team they wouldn't have beat today. It's early December. We will improve. Bashing the players and coach over it is petty

More were wide open then contested shots. When you have guys close to 7 feet tall being guarded inside by 6'3 you get wide open shots. When your guards are being guarded by big men on the perimeter you get wide open shots. Even when there wasn't a mismatch, how many times did our guards play off theirs when the ball was away from them and failed to get back quick enough when the ball rotated back to them?

Reactions: ManitouDan
Nope. His other post was about white boys. Then a post about work ethic being better than athleticism.

You don't know what racist means?

Must've missed the white boy post, my bad. Only saw work ethic/athleticism post. I don't disagree with him though, it's obvious Welsch has worked on that 15 footer since it's essentially automatic. Killed us 2 years in a row. Not to say that our players don't have good work ethic but they always seem to be the ram it down your throat type athletes rather than pop out and hit the 15 footer with finesse type. I took it more of a compliment to Welsch than racism.

More were wide open then contested shots. When you have guys close to 7 feet tall being guarded inside by 6'3 you get wide open shots. When your guards are being guarded by big men on the perimeter you get wide open shots. Even when there wasn't a mismatch, how many times did our guards play off theirs when the ball was away from them and failed to get back quick enough when the ball rotated back to them?
All those 3s that went into the hole weren't uncontested.
I think someone said you can't have too many shooters.

Any place else, Briscoe would be a role player. 10-15 minutes a game. Get about 4-5 shots a game. No 3's. Only one jumper unless he makes it. Play D and rebound.
Here Cal has to show everyone that he can make him a lottery pick.
Didn't work with the twins. Not going to work with Briscoe.

He'll get flack when you stop asking stupid questions.

Sounds like we should have won every game, or it would have been a failure to you.

I don't think it's stupid at all. He's in year EIGHT. Of course I know it's extremely unrealistic to win every game..it's impossible. But it's also inexcusable to give up 97 in Rupp to an out manned team..it's mind-boggling to lose a title game, two final 4s, and an elite 8 to far less talented teams. Hell, Coach Stoops gets UK to a bowl game in football after talks about being fired all season long and he's just in year four..and working with the less talented team damn near every SEC game. But because I say, Cal, in year EIGHT might should answers some questions for the crapfest we saw today defensively and wonder when he's going to take some heat..people are up in arms.

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
I don't think it's stupid at all. He's in year EIGHT. Of course I know it's extremely unrealistic to win every game..it's impossible. But it's also inexcusable to give up 97 in Rupp to an out manned team..it's mind-boggling to lose a title game, two final 4s, and an elite 8 to far less talented teams. Hell, Coach Stoops gets UK to a bowl game in football after talks about being fired all season long and he's just in year four..and working with the less talented team damn near every SEC game. But because I say, Cal, in year EIGHT might should answers some questions for the crapfest we saw today defensively and wonder when he's going to take some heat..people are up in arms.

Yeah, I'm so up in arms.

This loss is on Cal. Briscoe was awful today, and Cal just left him out there all game. Mulder has been playing pretty good when he actually gets clock, so he should have gotten some of those minutes.

Yes it's year 8. The hell does that have to do with anything? I'm looking at the total body of work. While I'm pissed, I'm not gonna lose my friggin mind over a game in early December with a young team.

Last edited:
UCLA beats you with spacing, passing and shooting. there wasn't a lot of slashers that Mulder couldn't stay in front of, but regardless Mulder not playing didn't cost us the game. I just think he could've helped down the stretch when we were down and needed some shots to fall

Must've missed the white boy post, my bad. Only saw work ethic/athleticism post. I don't disagree with him though, it's obvious Welsch has worked on that 15 footer since it's essentially automatic. Killed us 2 years in a row. Not to say that our players don't have good work ethic but they always seem to be the ram it down your throat type athletes rather than pop out and hit the 15 footer with finesse type. I took it more of a compliment to Welsch than racism.
Everything is racism nowadays. Only way to not be called a racist is to say nothing and write nothing. And, better watch your body language too.

Reactions: sdryan2
Yeah, I'm so up in arms.

This loss is on Cal. Briscoe was awful today, and Cal just left him out there all game. Mulder has been playing pretty good when he actually gets clock, so he should have gotten some of those minutes.

Yes it's year 8. The hell does that have to do with anything? I'm looking at the total body of work. While I'm pissed, I'm not gonna lose my friggin mind over a game in early December with a young team.

Being in year 8 has everything to with body of work. The SEC Titles and SEC Tournament Championships and the 2012 year was AMAZING..but you have to put the bad in with the good..a blown Elite 8, 2 blown Final 4s, and a blown Title game is the bad..and all that bad outweighs the good, in my opinion. I say "blown" because UK was more talented team every time. Regardless, this team has a lot of work to do..as does Cal..if we don't want another finish like last year.

Note to Cal: Your shooting guard is not and will never be an NBA player. His shot is broken. Rather than giving him the green light and trying to build his confidence in the jumper, it's time to utilize his strengths and tell him exactly what he can and cannot do out there. If it's the case that he is a hindrance to floor balance, then so be it. He can ride the pine and transfer.
Note to You:

Learn who plays shooting guard.

Briscoe is an elite defender. Mulder isn't(supposedly). That's going to be your answer from Cal. If you want to leave Briscoe in for his intangibles then sit Willis.

...but you've got to get Mulder a chance with the way he's been playing lately.

Are we ready to give Humphries' min to Gabriel? Most of them hopefully. Gabriel looks lost at times, not any more so than Hump. I'd rather have someone out there that is athletic with a non stop motor and developing offensive game than a big body who is average athletically, more polished down low, and consistently a step slow or totally lost on defense.

Briscoe is an elite defender. Mulder isn't(supposedly). That's going to be your answer from Cal. If you want to leave Briscoe in for his intangibles then sit Willis.

...but you've got to get Mulder a chance with the way he's been playing lately.

Are we ready to give Humphries' min to Gabriel? Most of them hopefully. Gabriel looks lost at times, not any more so than Hump. I'd rather have someone out there that is athletic with a non stop motor and developing offensive game than a big body who is average athletically, more polished down low, and consistently a step slow or totally lost on defense.

And I am OK with Cal giving that answer. But he also needs to lay down some ground roles. Beginning with this: Isaiah, nothing but layups.

I'm a huge Cal fan but at times I just don't understand the logic. Briscoe has played a lot better this year and his shot has improved. I fully understand that they want him to shoot more and be confident (as Cal has said). But even for "pure shooters" there are days where you are just off the mark! I'm by no means blaming this game on Briscoe or any one player but I can't grasp why Cal would allow one player to continue to play to his weakness. Briscoe was 4-14 and 0-5 on 3's plus the 3 TO. You can't just always "let them play through it"! There comes a time when you must call timeout and NIP IT IN THE BUD! I also don't understand why he didn't attempt to get Monk more involved in the first half scoring wise. But bottom line is UCLA is a quality team and they shot the lights out of it today. We didn't rebound very well and quite a few times when they missed we gave them second chances. You simply can't give a "shooting team" especially one that it red hot second chances.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
Being in year 8 has everything to with body of work. The SEC Titles and SEC Tournament Championships and the 2012 year was AMAZING..but you have to put the bad in with the good..a blown Elite 8, 2 blown Final 4s, and a blown Title game is the bad..and all that bad outweighs the good, in my opinion. I say "blown" because UK was more talented team every time. Regardless, this team has a lot of work to do..as does Cal..if we don't want another finish like last year.

Why do you follow such a disappointing team?

We scored 92 because of the game's tempo. We didn't look nearly as good offensively as the score indicates. UCLA put on a ball movement clinic and hopefully our guys can learn from them.
I agree we definitely didn't play well, at least as a whole, but Mulder isn't the answer. Especially when you allowed 97 points, which was what I was talking to him about.

ADVERTISEMENT