ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky leads for Cason Wallace, Chris Livingston, Adem Bona & Dereck Lively, on the verge of a monster class

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...cruiting/next-cats-blog/article254035898.html

With Skyy Clark & Shaedon Sharpe already committed & according to the Crystal Ball UK leads for Wallace, Livingston, Bona & Lively. Considering where these 6 players are rated, this is shaping up as potentially UK greatest class ever.

Shaedon Sharpe 6'5" Rivals & ESPN #1 rated national recruit
Dereck Lively 7'1" 247 sports #1 rated national recruit
Chris Livingston 6'6" ESPN #3 rated national recruit
Adem Bona 6'10" 247 sports #7 rated national recruit
Cason Wallace 6'4" rivals #10 rated national recruit
Skyy Clark 6'3" ESPN #11 rated national recruit

And hopefully with players like Dontaie Allen, Sahvir Wheeler, Lance Ware, CJ Fredrick, & Bryce Hopkins returning for the 2022-23 season.And add in a high quality grad transfer. Let the 40-0 talk begin.

Last edited:
Let’s hope CAL and Company can seal the deal on these kids. KSR says KY to meet with Lively Tomorrow along with Duke and Michigan and few more.

Reactions: westerncat
The only problem with the potential returnee's is that it appears the one-time transfer rule is still in affect (why, I don't know), and I would bet we lose at LEAST one transfer, but maybe 2 of our current group. I know that sounds crazy, but with the way we've taken off again in recruiting, you're going to have some of these 4-stars/highly touted transfers pretty far down the bench.. and if they can go start at a mid major or even low power school, I imagine some take the opportunity.

But Allen and Ware will have been here long enough that I think they stick around, and also be great experience/ off-the-bench types, come 2022.

The only problem with the potential returnee's is that it appears the one-time transfer rule is still in affect (why, I don't know), and I would bet we lose at LEAST one transfer, but maybe 2 of our current group. I know that sounds crazy, but with the way we've taken off again in recruiting, you're going to have some of these 4-stars/highly touted transfers pretty far down the bench.. and if they can go start at a mid major or even low power school, I imagine some take the opportunity.

But Allen and Ware will have been here long enough that I think they stick around, and also be great experience/ off-the-bench types, come 2022.
I can't see Fredrick going anywhere either.

I can't see Fredrick going anywhere either.

Hopkins is who I'm thinking. If we continue to toy with Allen's playing time, I could maybe see that too.. but he'd also be a senior, so that helps.

Really depends on who returns this year. If a lot leave for the draft after good results, we might be fine. But if a lot come back, we could see a bit of a log jam.

Reactions: Dablueman
Hopkins is who I'm thinking. If we continue to toy with Allen's playing time, I could maybe see that too.. but he'd also be a senior, so that helps.

Really depends on who returns this year. If a lot leave for the draft after good results, we might be fine. But if a lot come back, we could see a bit of a log jam.
Pretty sure the one time transfer is a permanent rule. Hoping the NIl money keeps em around. Kentucky is one of the few places where a fringe non superstar type player can make some money just based off of our dedicated fan base.

Reactions: jrpross

The Transfer without sitting was a permanent rule change not just for Covid. Maybe you meant you aren’t sure why they don’t see the flaws? Idk hard to read intent but it came across as if you thought it would just be a one year thing sorry if wrong.

Pretty sure the one time transfer is a permanent rule. Hoping the NIl money keeps em around. Kentucky is one of the few places where a fringe non superstar type player can make some money just based off of our dedicated fan base.

The Transfer without sitting was a permanent rule change not just for Covid. Maybe you meant you aren’t sure why they don’t see the flaws? Idk hard to read intent but it came across as if you thought it would just be a one year thing sorry if wrong.

But didn't it come about because of COVID? Or at least it seems COVID caused the big final push. Maybe I was wrong, I thought it was intended to be a 1 time thing, and then they ruled on it half a year later and said it was permanent, no?

I just think a rule like this will ruin an already tough act of filling rosters and balancing teams. I know coaches can leave whenever, and I get how that's not really "fair".. but I see this becoming an issue. Coaches will face a lot of uncertainty every off-season.

One time transfer rule is a great rule even if it may not serve UK absolutely no reason players should have to sit out a year after switching schools if coaches can hop around without penalty. Sitting out was as outdated as players not having access to NIL money

One time transfer without having to sit out was introduced pre-covid and not Covid related. (It just went into effect at end of last school year ... Spring 2021.) Last year not counting against a player's eligibility was a Covid specific exemption.

Regarding recruiting ... I'm guessing we do not get all 3 of Livingston, Bona and Lively. I think they're trying to sell Livingston on small ball 4. This would be 3 players for 2 positions, plus a couple bigs will return from the current roster.

I can live with just getting 2 of the 3 ;)

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...cruiting/next-cats-blog/article254035898.html

With Skyy Clark & Shaedon Sharpe already committed & according to the Crystal Ball UK leads for Wallace, Livingston, Bona & Lively. Considering where these 6 players are rated, this is shaping up as potentially UK greatest class ever.

And hopefully with players like Dontaie Allen, Sahvir Wheeler, Lance Ware, CJ Fredrick, & Bryce Hopkins returning for the 2022-23 season.And add in a high quality grad transfer. Let the 40-0 talk begin.

My 2-cents.
With the G-league money, I will assume if we got 4+ of those, at least one would change mind and take the G-league money last minute.

As for 40-0 talk, that should be banned. 2015 that was clearly a legitimate possibility that almost happened, and I think would have happened if not for an injury. But recall that 40-0 was actually brought up the year before based on how highly that class was ranked, yet we were an 8-seed. This showed that experience is a factor. So unless we had 3-5 guys returning playing meaningful roles (minutes), then no to 40-0.

I think we have to add Collins as a possible returnee too. But with the new transfer rules, would not be surprised, almost expect, someone to transfer (Allen, Ware, Hopkins). I think Collins will find it hard to crack more than 10-15mpg on the floor this year. Strength is clearly an issue, as supposedly is basketball awareness. I think he will and should probably test the waters, but that he may be someone who could signficantly improve his draft stock staying one more year (i.e. from 25 to 5).

"Cats lookin Sharpe" for 22-23.

Between my excitement for the football season, my hopes for this years team, and recruiting for next season I’m about to bust.
200.gif

I don’t think we get both Bona & Lively. Unfortunately, latest I’ve heard is that Bona is deciding on the fall & Lively in the spring. It could always change, but I know Lively is the one they want. Not sure if they take Bona now or not.

I just hope it doesn’t turn out like a few years ago when they could have taken Jarrett Allen, but they wanted Marques Bolden so they held out and got neither.

But didn't it come about because of COVID? Or at least it seems COVID caused the big final push. Maybe I was wrong, I thought it was intended to be a 1 time thing, and then they ruled on it half a year later and said it was permanent, no?

I just think a rule like this will ruin an already tough act of filling rosters and balancing teams. I know coaches can leave whenever, and I get how that's not really "fair".. but I see this becoming an issue. Coaches will face a lot of uncertainty every off-season.
I believe because of Covid they gave special exemptions to most players to play immediately but the one time transfer was already in the works.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I don’t think we get both Bona & Lively. Unfortunately, latest I’ve heard is that Bona is deciding on the fall & Lively in the spring. It could always change, but I know Lively is the one they want. Not sure if they take Bona now or not.

I just hope it doesn’t turn out like a few years ago when they could have taken Jarrett Allen, but they wanted Marques Bolden so they held out and got neither.
We are notorious at turning down players that could commit to put our eggs in another basket and then we don’t get that player and the other kid commits to another program earlier. If Bona wants to commit, I say take him, but I don’t coach the team. “In Cal we Trust”

Reactions: bigbluedon
We are notorious at turning down players that could commit to put our eggs in another basket and then we don’t get that player and the other kid commits to another program earlier. If Bona wants to commit, I say take him, but I don’t coach the team. “In Cal we Trust”
Man, I have mixed feelings on it. I totally get the bird in the hand argument, but I feel like Lively could have a Junior year WCS impact. With Sharpe already in the fold, having Lively could take the team from title contender to title favorite.

Reactions: Dablueman

Simple solution.

Nike pays each of our scholarship players $100,000 to play for UK and represent Nike while they're in college.

Ware and Allen would get some nice cash to stick around for a while.

For 40-0 I’d need Collins back or an equally talented transfer. But with that class that roster is approaching 2015 levels of talent and hype.

Unfortunately, Cal said he’d never platoon again. I get it, kinda (people will negative recruit you no matter what), but the platoon was a huge factor in that historic season. Division 1 teams were literally gassed with half the second half left, if not sooner. And we were still fresh.

Simple solution.

Nike pays each of our scholarship players $100,000 to play for UK and represent Nike while they're in college.

Ware and Allen would get some nice cash to stick around for a while.

Maybe a different shoe company lol. I don't think we're on the best standing to have Nike pay our lesser athletes 100k.. certainly not as long as Coach K is above ground.

Reactions: yoshukai
My 2-cents.
With the G-league money, I will assume if we got 4+ of those, at least one would change mind and take the G-league money last minute.

As for 40-0 talk, that should be banned. 2015 that was clearly a legitimate possibility that almost happened, and I think would have happened if not for an injury. But recall that 40-0 was actually brought up the year before based on how highly that class was ranked, yet we were an 8-seed. This showed that experience is a factor. So unless we had 3-5 guys returning playing meaningful roles (minutes), then no to 40-0.

I think we have to add Collins as a possible returnee too. But with the new transfer rules, would not be surprised, almost expect, someone to transfer (Allen, Ware, Hopkins). I think Collins will find it hard to crack more than 10-15mpg on the floor this year. Strength is clearly an issue, as supposedly is basketball awareness. I think he will and should probably test the waters, but that he may be someone who could signficantly improve his draft stock staying one more year (i.e. from 25 to 5).

"Cats lookin Sharpe" for 22-23.
Not sure about the basketball awareness. He averaged 35points 14.4 boards 7 assists and 6.2 blocks his sr year. I get that he could get pushed around but that 7 assists a game put of a big who is already averaging 35 points seems awful rare

ADVERTISEMENT