ADVERTISEMENT

"Kentucky Isn't for Everyone"

Or experience being one of only 4 programs (Duke, UNC, and Kansas are the other three) that are constantly going to featured on the national televised marquee games, have the largest national fan base following you, have the best coaches and finest facilities, have pro scouts and celebrities including former Presidents of the United States, Supreme Court Justices, major movie and athletic stars attend your practices and games, playing in front of the largest crowds, and being part of an elite fraternity of players, then this isn't the program for you.

I think it also means Cal wrath.
He's not going to hold back.
He's not going to hide you.
You're under the microscope.

Are you confident enough to be on the big stage where all your flaws are on full display?

Because you're not perfect and kentucky fans will love you like a brother but dissect your every play.

You really want that?

Don't know about the rest of you but I am pretty much tired of hearing this statement. Just recruit the kids and let the results speak for themselves. Just sounds a bit pompous to me. Jmo.

Reactions: mailman85

Are you confident enough to be on the big stage where all your flaws are on full display?

Because you're not perfect and kentucky fans will love you like a brother but dissect your every play.

You really want that?
This. It's what Charles Matthews didn't understand. Not buying he wants to be a scorer for illi, he's not great at it

Reactions: _Rooster
Don't know about the rest of you but I am pretty much tired of hearing this statement. Just recruit the kids and let the results speak for themselves. Just sounds a bit pompous to me. Jmo.

Wow, I don't see it as pompous one bit. Just the opposite as he is being honest with the recruit and telling them what to expect if you come to UK. Then the kid needs to decide if he can stand up to all the expectations, extreme hard work, buying into the system, and the exposure you get at UK, and be a Cat. To me he is just telling it like it is to the kid so they don't come here and experience shock and have had no clue it was going to be that way.

Wow, I don't see it as pompous one bit. Just the opposite as he is being honest with the recruit and telling them what to expect if you come to UK. Then the kid needs to decide if he can stand up to all the expectations, extreme hard work, buying into the system, and the exposure you get at UK, and be a Cat. To me he is just telling it like it is to the kid so they don't come here and experience shock and have had no clue it was going to be that way.
I agree with you. Just an honest statement, no more, no less.

Thank God it is just your opinion. As elitist and arrogant as our fanbase consistently has been throughout history I'm stunned anyone on here would have any issue with a coach having some swag and just telling it how it is.

Aren't the lessons listed here what we were waiting for?
18f15hojdv119jpg.jpg

If you don't plan on going to class, Kentucky ain't for you.

Cal should change it to that or:

Don't call us we'll call you.

I don't like it either, Don. But you can be sure that we're going to keep hearing it. So ...

Given that we're going to keep hearing it, I think several posters has made good posts in answer to the implied question in the original post, "What does that mean?"

I think "JC Cats" is right about this: If you are Elite, and you want to be the man, play 37 minutes a game and take 20 shots a game . . . then UK isn't for you.

I think "uk78" is right about this: If you're going to be either "nervous" or "awstruck" about, or "worried about whether you're up to" playing in the national televised marquee games, having the largest national fan base following you, and playing in front of the largest crowds in some of the biggest games, then U.K. isn't the program for you.

And what "uk78" said about the U.K. fan base ties in with what "wromanp7" said, which I think is also part of it: Are you confident enough to be on the big stage where all your flaws are on full display, and listen to what's said about your mistakes? Because you're not perfect and Kentucky fans will love you like a brother but dissect your every play. You really want that?

I don't like it either, Don. But you can be sure that we're going to keep hearing it. So ...

Given that we're going to keep hearing it, I think several posters has made good posts in answer to the implied question in the original post, "What does that mean?"

I think "JC Cats" is right about this: If you are Elite, and you want to be the man, play 37 minutes a game and take 20 shots a game . . . then UK isn't for you.

I think "uk78" is right about this: If you're going to be either "nervous" or "awstruck" about, or "worried about whether you're up to" playing in the national televised marquee games, having the largest national fan base following you, and playing in front of the largest crowds in some of the biggest games, then U.K. isn't the program for you.

And what "uk78" said about the U.K. fan base ties in with what "wromanp7" said, which I think is also part of it: Are you confident enough to be on the big stage where all your flaws are on full display, and listen to what's said about your mistakes? Because you're not perfect and Kentucky fans will love you like a brother but dissect your every play. You really want that?

I guess you boys want him to lie, get over it the truth will set you free.

Nice post Rip!

I understand why any of us may be tired of hearing this but it's really not for us. Each recruit needs to understand this before they make their decision. They are kids. Big talented ones, but kids just the same. Kentucky basketball is a unique situation and new to most of them. It's not only about the individual. Kentucky is where you go to grow up. They need to know this before they get here. That's why it's repeated. I hope to hear it forever.

Wow Cal Ripper Ripcord actually makes a solid post. I'm headed to the store to get milk and bread because the stuff is about to hit the fan guys.

That's why Cal is a HOF coach at the pinnacle of his profession and you're posting on a message board.

Thank God it is just your opinion. As elitist and arrogant as our fanbase consistently has been throughout history I'm stunned anyone on here would have any issue with a coach having some swag and just telling it how it is.
Spam will be here soon to tell you EXACTLY how you feel...

I view it as some players don't want to be under the microscope that UK players are under with BBN. Some guys may not want the attention that comes with being a Kentucky Wildcat, for good or bad. If you're not playing 15+ minutes a game as a freshman there's a lot of fans that will wonder why didn't so and so turn out to be the star we thought he would?

its also the fishbowl.

Fans post whether you are in class at 8am, if you are at two keys at 2am, if you post a pic of your johnson poking out of a McDonalds bag......

If you're not able to stay within the margins, Kentucky ain't for you

People complain about the fans being too intrusive but there is a self policing aspect of it.

I am so sorry your feelings are hurt. You always have the option of not reading the comments.

You really want that?

I agree with this. And his promise is that you will play despite any and all mistakes (on the court) that you make. So yes, you will be exposed if you're making a lot of mistakes because I'm going to keep playing you (see Briscoe).

I don't have a problem with him saying that. I'd rather him be honest with them and get players that really want to be here. Better than the coaches that perpetuate lies about other programs or tell the players what they want to hear to get them to sign. We have coaches that negatively recruit against us and others that tell the recruits they can be one and done at their school and then watch the player end up a 3 or 4 year player.

Cal could be great at recruiting like a used car salesman. I think he could sell ice to an Eskimo. Instead he chooses to be honest with the recruits and tells them nothing is guaranteed. If you expect everything to be given to you and expect to get x number of minutes or x number of shots then Kentucky is probably not for you.

Kentucky is not for everyone could also apply to the fan base. We have to endure the scorn of all other fans. As representatives of the winningest program and a lot of broken dreams along the way, you have to be prepared for almost constant vicious envy.
UK fans have to be prepared for ridicule when we lose a game, for the bashing of our coach and players, and for the insinuations of "cheating" at all times.

UNC and Duke fans are generally hated around the ACC, but no fan group is as universally hated as we are. Gonzaga fans will never know what this is like.

the Marines aren't for everyone. It's hard as hell, will beat you up, make you cry; but at the end of the day, you're forever in a brotherhood.

I don't have a problem with him saying that. I'd rather him be honest with them and get players that really want to be here. Better than the coaches that perpetuate lies about other programs or tell the players what they want to hear to get them to sign. We have coaches that negatively recruit against us and others that tell the recruits they can be one and done at their school and then watch the player end up a 3 or 4 year player.

Cal could be great at recruiting like a used car salesman. I think he could sell ice to an Eskimo. Instead he chooses to be honest with the recruits and tells them nothing is guaranteed. If you expect everything to be given to you and expect to get x number of minutes or x number of shots then Kentucky is probably not for you.

Cal worked very hard to be able to deliver that pitch. I'm pretty sure he didn't use the Kentucky isn't for everyone pitch to John Wall and Demarcus Cousins. But now that he's sending 50% of his guys to the NBA and Kentucky is a national brand, he can walk into a kids home and be selective - just like Rupp was in the 40's and 50's.

I know you want to come to Kentucky but Kentucky isn't for everyone - you want to be a NBA millionaire, here is what you have to do.

And how can anyone trump it? You want to be "family" at UNC? You want to get an engineering degree and hang out with ugly nerdy girls at Duke? You want strippers at UL? You want your criminal record expunged at Kansas?

Keep your nose clean, go to class, play hard, share the court with your teammates and at the end of the year, the NBA will call your name.

No one is touching that.

Yeah cause I'd much rather hear him say things like "I did not know about 22 stripper parties in the dorm!" or "I did not give UK fans the finger!" or "We do things the right way at UL!" .......

And this is a good point and maybe pompous was not a good word..Ripcord and Kycatfan made good points and in a civil manner and I agree totally. Some of the dumber posters on this board have to be a big shot and make sarcastic answers and act like they know something about it when they are really not that sharp and can't have a civil discussion..Just like to take shots at people..But you know, that is Rupps Rafters for you..Thanks to those of you that responded respectfully...Hard to find that on this board that is for sure.

And this is a good point and maybe pompous was not a good word..Ripcord and Kycatfan made good points and in a civil manner and I agree totally. Some of the dumber posters on this board have to be a big shot and make sarcastic answers and act like they know something about it when they are really not that sharp and can't have a civil discussion..Just like to take shots at people..But you know, that is Rupps Rafters for you..Thanks to those of you that responded respectfully...Hard to find that on this board that is for sure.

Well like you said "pompous was the wrong choice of words," so being called out was the answer to you using a bad choice.

ADVERTISEMENT