ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky is focusing its efforts on former NC State starter Devin Leary

YaketySax

Senior
Jun 28, 2018

Kentucky is focusing its efforts on former NC State starter Devin Leary, industry sources told The Athletic. Leary is arguably the top quarterback in the portal right now and should command a lucrative NIL deal. Perhaps his commitment could be the one that sets things in motion for others in the market.

If Leary decides Kentucky is his best move, that pairing would make sense on both sides. Liam Coen is coming back to Lexington as offensive coordinator. He’d be a good guy for Leary to put his trust in, considering his NFL background and what he achieved with Will Levis in 2021. The Athletic’s Dane Brugler had a Day 3 draft grade on Leary going into the season, and NFL scouts graded Leary in the fourth to fifth round range prior to his season-ending pec injury.

The amount of money collectives are investing in quarterback recruiting these days leaves some staffers wondering whether quarterbacks looking at mid- to late-round draft grades would be wiser to enter the portal and spend an extra year in college than enter the draft. Sam Howell got a $361,000 signing bonus as an early fifth-round pick this year. Brock Purdy, the last pick in the draft, got just $77,000 guaranteed. The sums some collectives are allegedly offering would surely far exceed that.

“There’s more money to be made as a portal QB than as an NFL QB,” one SEC recruiting coordinator told The Athletic.

A good indication of Leary being our top target was Mertz’s visit to UF. And when it came out Leary was visiting Uk, well, that kinda removed all doubt.

But here is the thing, it’s dangerous to focus all your attention on just one player. Not saying CMS and staff are, however, with the limited information we have to go on, it seems Leary is the only horse we want to ride. And if we get him, great. But if we’re solely focused on him, it’s entirely possible to get caught with no horse to ride at all.

You don’t have to look at this as some hypothetical situation either. You only have to look to the Vandy LT recruitment from last year. I know there were a lot of unfortunate circumstances surrounding that whole recruitment, mainly, wolford leaving for Bama,. But the point being, we were left with no other option at LT , and in hindsight, was a death blow for the 22 season.

We certainly need Leary, but we need a capable starting QB more. It’s imperative, imo, we don’t get caught scrambling to find one. Our upcoming season boils down to this position.

Reactions: secrules3 and UKat1
Devin if you’re reading this I’m just messing with the long sleeves & tattos. Not to weird you out but if you do commit I will be Daffy Ducking.

• Haha
Reactions: wildcatwelder
Hopefully Leary ends up being the good news we are supposed to get tomorrow.
Somebody on Twitter hinted at this weekend being the news for leary, I have no idea if it’s true, I would be good whenever he wants to commit if he wants to come here

Yeah, I love good news, whatever day it comes on. I have to say the Cox and Hardaway news made Thursday a damn fine news day!

Reactions: THE_OAK and JC-3
if Leary is healthy and stays healthy then we're in business. However, he appears to be injury prone, is not a mobile QB and our OL was terrible this year. We can't afford if he gets hurt to not get another capable QB from the portal. I'm not confident in the remaining QB's on the roster if Leary goes down.

Reactions: rivercatinfl
Leary could have his naval pierced as long as he balls out.

I don't want to see him balls out.

giphy.gif

As long as he wears long sleeves, I don’t want my nieces and nephew to see the tattoos
I'm fine with my kids seeing his tattoos, as long as they're just "sleeves". Now, if they are visible because he removes his pants, we have a problem.

Leary would get the ol excitement meter way up. Specially if we can add another big guy and an absolute stud playmaker would be excellent as well.

Kentucky is focusing its efforts on former NC State starter Devin Leary, industry sources told The Athletic. Leary is arguably the top quarterback in the portal right now

We should look beyond the "top quarterback in the portal" teaser. The cliche is enough to generate excitement. How much eligibility is left? How big is he? Why has he missed so many games?

If Leary decides Kentucky is his best move, that pairing would make sense on both sides. Liam Coen is coming back to Lexington as offensive coordinator. He’d be a good guy for Leary to put his trust in, considering his NFL background and what he achieved with Will Levis in 2021.

This makes sense. Because of Coen and Levis, Leary should find the opportunity interesting, if he believes Kentucky's offensive line is getting fixed. Bowles and the new left tackle from Northern Illinois could help us there.

Here’s a good highlight video from last year that shows why Kentucky and a lot of team want him
A lot of on time on target throws and a few that (I can only guess because I don't know their offense) that were 2nd or 3rd reads in the progression of the play. There is a lot to like here especially with the weapons that UK has that will be surrounding him. Easy to see why he is regarded by many as QB1 in the portal. Plus I like that he would be a 1 year player, that gives Wade and Sheron 1 more year to develop so that the staff can see if they are the answer eventually as starters.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
A lot of on time on target throws and a few that (I can only guess because I don't know their offense) that were 2nd or 3rd reads in the progression of the play. There is a lot to like here especially with the weapons that UK has that will be surrounding him. Easy to see why he is regarded by many as QB1 in the portal. Plus I like that he would be a 1 year player, that gives Wade and Sheron 1 more year to develop so that the staff can see if they are the answer eventually as starters.
As far as I can see, nobody question's Leary's arm talent. He can throw it with accuracy all over the field. I worry about his susceptibility to getting hurt. His size at less than 190 pounds leaves him vulnerable to big hits in the SEC unless Kentucky's offensive line improves. Don't get me wrong. I would like to see Stoops sign him.

Reactions: MoonshineMafia
As far as I can see, nobody question's Leary's arm talent. He can throw it with accuracy all over the field. I worry about his susceptibility to getting hurt. His size at less than 190 pounds leaves him vulnerable to big hits in the SEC unless Kentucky's offensive line improves. Don't get me wrong. I would like to see Stoops sign him.
And the injury history is fair to point out. I think we all agree that the potential outweighs the risks though. I was more commenting for those that won't/don't have time to watch the video, not that my opinion is that super important.

Don't like that NC State is losing Leary, but would be worth it if he ends up a CAT.

And the injury history is fair to point out. I think we all agree that the potential outweighs the risks though.
The potential outweighs the risk right up to the game where Leary gets hurt again. Then, next man up. But that is not directly a Leary issue. Potentially, any player can get hurt. By history, Leary is more prone to get hurt than the other players. But you need depth everywhere because it can happen to any player on any play. This circles back to Wade and Sheron. What are their ceilings, and how far away are they?

Come on Brother Leary,. commit to us so we can celebrate through Christmas feeling pretty good😭

We need you man.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT