ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky governor: Children were sexually assaulted and tried drugs because teachers were protesting

They are going away because u can put in 27 years and retire at 49 and then live another 40 years drawing 75% of your highest 3 YEAR AVERAGE. In no other profession can you retire after 27 years and then draw a guaranteed salary for the rest of your life, which could end up being almost twice as long as you worked.

That is not financially or economically sustainable. If teachers want to agree to work until sometime in their 60s and then get those benefits then maybe reasonable people might start to listen.
At 27 years they can receive 67.5%, not 75%. (2.5% x years)

What's your opinion on military pensions?
An E-8 who enlisted out of high school can retire with 20yrs service (38 yrs old) and receive $30K/yr (~50%) and a projected over $1.8M over the next 40 years with COLA. If they serve 27 years they would receive $46K which is 75+% of their near $60K pay.

I actually know 3 retired Lt. Cols who each retired at 20 yrs...$75K/yr. Each was early-mid 40s when they "retired". One then went to fly for American Airlines, one does Jr ROTC at a high school and the third became a govt contractor making about double what he was paid active duty.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
At 27 years they can receive 67.5%, not 75%. (2.5% x years)

What's your opinion on military pensions?
An E-8 who enlisted out of high school can retire with 20yrs service (38 yrs old) and receive $30K/yr (~50%) and a projected over $1.8M over the next 40 years with COLA. If they serve 27 years they would receive $46K which is 75+% of their near $60K pay.

I actually know 3 retired Lt. Cols who each retired at 20 yrs...$75K/yr. Each was early-mid 40s when they "retired". One then went to fly for American Airlines, one does Jr ROTC at a high school and the third became a govt contractor making about double what he was paid active duty.
Hey. Keep those facts out of this thread of overreacting.

This is a point that I have long been making. First off, most people have no idea of how to manager their 401K. Second, they severely underestimate how much they need to save. Third, they wait way too long to start saving. It's amazing how many 40-somethings I know that earn 6 figure salaries and have $50K or less saved for retirement...much less those earning far less with nothing or next to nothing saved. They spent their 20s into their early 30s getting out of school debt, their 30s saving for a home.

Growing up it was mostly high school kids that worked bagging groceries, now it seems they are mostly folks who "should be" retired but are having to continue to work to make ends meet. That's fine as long as their health allows them to do so but at some point that health will likely deteriorate or fail not allowing them to do so. The strain and demand on the "safety net" for the elderly is going to be severely tested in the years to come.

Agreed. It's a catch-22. Retirement plans like pensions are antiquated and a massive strain on society. However, if the individual with a self-funded retirement plan doesn't have "enough sense to get out of the rain", then they're screwed either way.

I think it's imperative that finances be taught in grade school.....then also required in college. I'm not talking about the "let's teach you how to write a check" crap that I was taught in school, but basic finances. What is interest? What are mutual funds? What is the reality of the stock market? What is a retirement plan? How to insurances work and how should you go about getting them? Etc. But, of course, these new classes would require teachers and better funding.....*sigh*...........and common sense.

As for how things are right now with society and retirement plans, I tend to be fairly harsh minded. I favor a less intrusive gub'ment and promote state rights and individualization. I also believe that experience is a mighty powerful teacher. So, if individuals screw themselves over by not planning for retirement, they'll learn eventually. And may the generations learn by their example.

He is wrong and he's an ahole for even propagating it.
Cool. I had always heard that there was a problem with unsupervised kids. Good to hear there isn't. Now I can just ignore the people asking for money for after school programs and summer programs. Apparently it isn't a problem at all so why do they need money.

So please explain how when accepting a job that promises as part of your compensation for employment specified terms for retirement isn't depending upon one's self? Especially when part of the money to fund that retirement is withheld from your check?

If the state doesn't want to fund the pension plan then they need to arrange to pay teachers more to compensate for the loss of that plan. Otherwise they are effectively cutting their salaries.
For the same reason that I don’t cout on having social security even though technically I should be able to count on that as American citizen. Someone is going to screw it up (already have mostly) and even though I’m SUPPOSED to get it I am preparing to not receive any.

For the same reason that I don’t cout on having social security even though technically I should be able to count on that as American citizen. Someone is going to screw it up (already have mostly) and even though I’m SUPPOSED to get it I am preparing to not receive any.
Exactly
Same guarantee for SS as teacher pension.

Reactions: roguemocha
Cool. I had always heard that there was a problem with unsupervised kids. Good to hear there isn't. Now I can just ignore the people asking for money for after school programs and summer programs. Apparently it isn't a problem at all so why do they need money.

In this case bevin, like many others, misplaces blame (or potential blame in this case). If a kid gets hurt when there is no school or in this case when teachers were on strike, it was not the fault of teachers but the fault of those that committed the act and/or the parents who are ultimately responsible for their children. Schools are always blamed for things that are not of their making. If someone was hurt as bevin says, why not say it's the fault of those pols that chose not to honor commitments made by the state of Kentucky...thus resulting in teachers feeling they needed to be heard?

Personally, if I was still an admin and one of my teachers didn't come to work because he/she wanted to strike, I would have fired that person....However, they have legitimate reason to be angry and frustrated. There's wrongdoing on both sides of this coin.

It's not right that pols have screwed up SS. Personally, I'm opposed to tax increases that give pols dollars to do inane things like build arenas, golf courses, etc.... but if I knew dollars from a tax increase would be earmarked to take care of SS promises made, eliminate the debt or build the strongest military in the world, I'd be for it.

Reactions: roguemocha
It's not right that pols have screwed up SS. Personally, I'm opposed to tax increases that give pols dollars to do inane things like build arenas, golf courses, etc.... but if I knew dollars from a tax increase would be earmarked to take care of SS promises made, eliminate the debt or build the strongest military in the world, I'd be for it.

Ram... we spend more on the military than the next dozen biggest militaries in the world...and most of those are our allies.
We spend in excess of $600B...
China spends $216B
The Russians spend $84B
Add up Japan, India, France, UK, S.Korea, Germany, Italy, Turkey and Australia ...and you get to about where we are...

I agree with you on the rest [cheers]

Reactions: mktmaker
Ram... we spend more on the military than the next dozen biggest militaries in the world...and most of those are our allies.
We spend in excess of $600B...
China spends $216B
The Russians spend $84B
Add up Japan, India, France, UK, S.Korea, Germany, Italy, Turkey and Australia ...and you get to about where we are...

I agree with you on the rest [cheers]

But how much of that is waste and fraudulent billing i.e the $100 toilet seats and how much of that is actual fire power. Face it Fuzz, it's better to be able to say to russia, china, etc... that we can wipe you off the face of the earth more times than you can wipe us off the face of the earth....It's a "mine is bigger than your's" world. Let's take some of that waste spent on social programs and buy a few more missiles.

In what way was he “right”? That means you agree with his insane thoughts and statements. Just because you don’t say them doesn’t make it ok to think like that. Sexual abuse doesn’t have a schedule. He’s blaming teachers for allowing kids to be sexually abused. Does he blame the weather when we have a snow day?
This X 10. And I’m a republican. Ignorance isn’t a respecter of party, however.

But how much of that is waste and fraudulent billing i.e the $100 toilet seats and how much of that is actual fire power. Face it Fuzz, it's better to be able to say to russia, china, etc... that we can wipe you off the face of the earth more times than you can wipe us off the face of the earth....It's a "mine is bigger than your's" world. Let's take some of that waste spent on social programs and buy a few more missiles.
So the US is the only country with waste and fraudulent billing? Many of those nations are buying their military hardware from us.
Little gets done in Russia, China and many countries without somebody greasing someone else's pockets. Hell, Vladimir Putin is estimated to be worth $200 Billion by some estimates making him the richest man in the world. The Russian government must pay great wages!

I think I see your tongue in your cheek...at least I hope that's what I see.

11 year old hit by a car and killed Friday in Oklahoma after being left home alone because school was cancelled because of a walkout.

Bevin sucks, says a lot of crazy BS. However, in this instance, he was proven right, sadly.

Because that couldn't have happened on a weekend, or a holiday, or spring break, or summer vacation.
As easily as you can say "wouldn't have happened if the kid had been in school," one can just as easily say things like "wouldn't have happened it the kid hadn't left the house," "wouldn't have happened if the driver hadn't been driving there," "wouldn't have happened if the driver hadn't left the house," "wouldn't have happened if that person didn't have a driver's license," wouldn't have happened if the kid or driver hadn't been born," and etc.

Lots of things you can say would have prevented this from happening, to blame a party not even directly involved in the situation is dumb. Would be like blaming Alabama football for Kentucky not being good at football. Yeah sure, Alabama being good and getting talent hurts Kentucky but it's hardly the reason why Kentucky isn't good at football.

As easily as you can say "wouldn't have happened if the kid had been in school," one can just as easily say things like "wouldn't have happened it the kid hadn't left the house," "wouldn't have happened if the driver hadn't been driving there," "wouldn't have happened if the driver hadn't left the house," "wouldn't have happened if that person didn't have a driver's license," wouldn't have happened if the kid or driver hadn't been born," and etc.

Lots of things you can say would have prevented this from happening, to blame a party not even directly involved in the situation is dumb. Would be like blaming Alabama football for Kentucky not being good at football. Yeah sure, Alabama being good and getting talent hurts Kentucky but it's hardly the reason why Kentucky isn't good at football.
It was the parents' responsibility to make sure the kid was properly supervised. Silly to divert the blame. Heck, it could have happened even if the parents made proper arrangements.

The crazy part was that it was one of the teachers that refused to teach that day that actually hit the child with the car.

The education demands have been there for some time. They actually make it harder on you if you don't have a Masters degree by requiring more CE which all comes out of your own pocket. When my wife started teaching she didn't plan on getting her Masters but after a few years of having to search out classes for CE credits she realized it was ridiculous not to go ahead and get it, get the pay bump and be done with it.

The reality is that there has been a huge falloff of college kids seeking education degrees and without taking actions to attract more people into the profession school districts are going to find it harder and harder to hire teachers. Several states have already resorted to lowering their qualifications for teaching and increasing class sizes in order to "make it work".

This is a point that I have long been making. First off, most people have no idea of how to manager their 401K. Second, they severely underestimate how much they need to save. Third, they wait way too long to start saving. It's amazing how many 40-somethings I know that earn 6 figure salaries and have $50K or less saved for retirement...much less those earning far less with nothing or next to nothing saved. They spent their 20s into their early 30s getting out of school debt, their 30s saving for a home.

Growing up it was mostly high school kids that worked bagging groceries, now it seems they are mostly folks who "should be" retired but are having to continue to work to make ends meet. That's fine as long as their health allows them to do so but at some point that health will likely deteriorate or fail not allowing them to do so. The strain and demand on the "safety net" for the elderly is going to be severely tested in the years to come.
The answer shouldn't be "nanny state" when people fail to prepare for their own future.

ADVERTISEMENT