ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Good

I would look at something like 2010-2017 as Kentucky good. There were some downs in it, all teams have them, but the good outweighed the bad. UK had success in the SEC regular season, SECT, and NCAAT. Weve had about three or more years of not winning anything of worth.

My list would be something like this...

Finish the regular season ranked in or around the top 10.
First or second place in the SEC and/or first or second place in the SEC Tournament.
Minimum Sweet 16 in the NCAA Tournament (and knocked out by another Top 25 team, not some absurd upset).

Obviously, there are occasional down years but we should be consistently hitting those marks most seasons. IF we aren't, then we aren't realistically winning anything important and certainly are not in contention for a Final Four or a championship.

What does it mean to be "Kentucky Good" since we've not been that for a while?
Thought it was funny he said we haven’t been Kentucky good “the last couple of years “ . Since 2015 we‘re 26-33 against ranked teams , something like 1-5 in the champions classic the last 6 years , our only win a against a quality opponent in the NCAA tournament was 3 seeded Houston. He is either so out of touch that he doesn’t realize how bad he’s been or he thinks the fanbase is too stupid to notice. And of course, many of them are . They eat up the crap he spews like hogs on slop , lol .

Last edited:
What does it mean to be "Kentucky Good" since we've not been that for a while?

Sounds like you watched the SEC NOW interview. Who was the guy on the far right? He tried twice to ask Cal if he had the desire to win big at UK and he changed the subject. One time he pivoted to how many guys went to the pro's even last year. Kind of rolled my eyes but was good to see the guy try to get up in there.

Kentucky good means consistently being a top 4 seed and making the second weekend of the tournament. Anything less than that is a disappointment. It should be the baseline and not meeting it is a bad season. It also means regularly - not every season, but regularly - competing for FFs and titles. 2 FFs and a title per decade.

Kentucky good means consistently being a top 4 seed and making the second weekend of the tournament. Anything less than that is a disappointment. It should be the baseline and not meeting it is a bad season. It also means regularly - not every season, but regularly - competing for FFs and titles. 2 FFs and a title per decade.
Not one person on this board would be happy with that.

The belief is here, that if we don't win a National Title, then it's a horrible season and Cal should be fired!

Not one person on this board would be happy with that.

The belief is here, that if we don't win a National Title, then it's a horrible season and Cal should be fired!
That's absolute crap. There are a few of those but most people aren't that way.

Kentucky Good Means:

No more than 7-8 losses in a season
Making the SEC tourney semifinals at least (preferably the Final and keep a close game if you can't win it)
Being a Top 1-3 Seed
Making at least the S16 (E8 and up Preferred)
Pass the Eye Test for an elite club (we haven't done this in a while....(i.e LOOK like you know how to play baskeball well)

Reactions: CB3UK and ganner918
Don't lose to bad teams at home. Ex: Evansville, Vanderbilt, South Carolina. If you lose at home at all it has to be against elite opponents.

Be in the conversation for the Final Four.

Be in the top 2 in the SEC regular season and make the finals of the SEC tournament.

Stay in or around the Top 10 all season.

That's absolute crap. There are a few of those but most people aren't that way.

Kentucky Good Means:

No more than 7-8 losses in a season
Making the SEC tourney semifinals at least (preferably the Final and keep a close game if you can't win it)
Being a Top 1-3 Seed
Making at least the S16 (E8 and up Preferred)
Pass the Eye Test for an elite club (we haven't done this in a while....(i.e LOOK like you know how to play baskeball well)
There's a meltdown after every game...either we didn't win by enough, Cal wasn't wearing a blue tie, the uniforms are ugly or the dance team was awful...there's always something.

There's a meltdown after every game...either we didn't win by enough, Cal wasn't wearing a blue tie, the uniforms are ugly or the dance team was awful...there's always something.
You're letting a minority of a minority dictate a half-truth at best. There's always going to be the completely insane people that would gripe if their ice cream was cold. Most of us just want Kentucky to be back on track like it mostly was before the 2020-2021 season. Don't lose to bad teams in Rupp, be at the top of the SEC, etc.

I do wish Cal would get back to wearing a suit (or at least a blazer) for big games. I'm fine with him not wearing ones for the stinky games or most conference games. And that goes for a lot of coaches too. But that's minor. I'd rather see us look crisp and sharp, like we understand the game. And no one can argue that over the past 3 years or so, we've had moments of "Wth was that?!"

Reactions: Rivals_Defender
2 seed one year ago.
And how did that work out for us? I will slightly concede that the injury bug was very present, but we still should've won that game. We were up 6 with like 4 minutes to go. You HAVE to win that game if you say you are Kentucky good.

My original statement is true...not many here can handle that. The intellectual ones can.
That’s so stupid . Since 2015 our record against ranked teams is 26-33 , our best NCAA TOURNAMENT win is against 3 seeded Houston, we are 1-5 in the last 6 champions classic games , we have had a 9-16 season, we lost to 15 seed st Pete , we haven’t been winning the SEC regular season or SEC tournament and we haven’t made it out of the first weekend in years . But you think no one should be unsatisfied . You think people are unhappy because we aren’t championships, lol . DUDE , we haven’t even been in contention .

Thought it was funny he said we haven’t been Kentucky good “the last couple of years “ . Since 2015 we‘re 26-33 against ranked teams , something like 1-5 in the champions classic the last 6 years , our only win a against a quality opponent in the NCAA tournament was 3 seeded Houston. He is either so out of touch that he doesn’t realize how bad he’s been or he thinks the fanbase is too stupid to notice. And of course, many of them are . They eat up the crap he spews like hogs on slop , lol .
I think lumping 2016 - 2023 together as "not Kentucky good" is not completely fair to a few of those teams that were Kentucky good:

Those 3 teams were definitely Kentucky good.

To answer the question, I think Kentucky good is going into March with a legit shot at a Final Four. Looking at our history, we have done that about 50 out of 80 seasons (starting with 1942)

Reactions: bbncal02
To me, Kentucky Good means sec reg season champs.

Now I know that doesn't bode well for some, but its a good sign when you rank first in your conference.

It means we are one of the 6-8, maybe 4-6 realistic contenders/favorites to win it as ll come March.

Reactions: bbncal02
I think u mean 2017 2019 2021. 2020 we won like 9 games lol. But this is true. those 3 teams were UK good .
2021 is when we went 9-16. In 2020, we were 25-6 and won the SEC by 3 games before the season got cancelled.

2019 is Kentucky good. That team should have made a final four and maybe even won it….
+ Auburn was aided by the refs in a “miracle of miracles” where, though in foul trouble, zero fouls were called on Auburn in the final 9:17 of regulation in that Elite Eight that went to Overtime.

+ Auburn was aided by the refs in a “miracle of miracles” where, though in foul trouble, zero fouls were called on Auburn in the final 9:17 of regulation in that Elite Eight that went to Overtime.
I thought that when it happened but as the years have gone on. Auburn was just driving the ball and was way more agressive than Kentucky. Kentucky was doing the typical stall ball bs when they were barely up. Plus Harper & brown were cooking Kentucky the entire game

I would look at something like 2010-2017 as Kentucky good. There were some downs in it, all teams have them, but the good outweighed the bad. UK had success in the SEC regular season, SECT, and NCAAT. Weve had about three or more years of not winning anything of worth.
Been a long time since UK remotely resembled GOOD...yeah about the time Cal signed a lifetime contract. At least he achieved his goal of making himself and a few players insanely rich...all at the expense of BBN.

First or second place in the SEC and/or first or second place in the SEC Tournament.
Minimum Sweet 16 in the NCAA Tournament (and knocked out by another Top 25 team, not some absurd upset).

Obviously, there are occasional down years but we should be consistently hitting those marks most seasons. IF we aren't, then we aren't realistically winning anything important and certainly are not in contention for a Final Four or a championship.
I like this but would add that at least once every four years you need to put an elite team on the floor. I’d define elite as either a 1 seed in the NCAA tourney or a final four. For Kentucky to be the gold standard you have to have elite teams regularly.

To me, Kentucky Good means sec reg season champs.

Now I know that doesn't bode well for some, but its a good sign when you rank first in your conference.

Kentucky good means do at least one of the following or more in the same season.

Top 10 on offense and defense.

Win the SEC regular season.

Win 30+ games.

Advance to the Elite-8.

Reactions: ganner918

I think this is a realistic set of expectations. So many of our fans are in the boat if Final 4 or bust. There are a lot of good teams out there and as long as we are in the discussion and proving it on the court, I am happy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT