ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky football’s chances of breaking through in the East all comes down to very good quarterback play. This is if everything else remains strong.

Grumpy, all you say is true in comparison to Saban and Dabo, but his essential comparison is to Mark Richt’s first 5/6 seasons, and they are pretty close. Richt would have had a playoff appearance or two under the 4 team scenario of today, including 2007, LSU’s title year when Geogia finished a solid Third in the nation.

I will not say Kirby can’t coach, as he has owned the East since 2017, but the comparison to Richt at similar junctures is apt.

Mark Richt didn't have to deal with Saba and Bama his first 5 years, or even UF and Urban. Can't compare the SEC of the early 2000's to the monster it is today. You know that. I am not claiming Kirby is the greatest coach, but he isn't as bad as many UGA rivals hope. The fake FG was open, Fields was suppose to throw the ball, but chose to run it, well it was an option and he made the wrong choice.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I agree with the sentiment, however, would tweak the thread title to say "...comes down to passing game"

We really haven't had a passing game anywhere near on par with D1, especially, SEC in well over a decade. Andre Woodson and that crew.

Not totally all on QB play. We haven't had great perimeter skill play from simple pass-catching to the ability to get vertical nor have we had great schemes, game planning and play-calling.

Does anyone know when was the last time we saw a 1000 yard receiver, and/or 25 scores through the air in a season?

Reactions: Ky grandpa
The Brooks/Joker defense/offense combo was pretty darn good. Good enough to upset #1 LSU. What they lacked was recruiting and player development and that kept them from getting past 7 win type seasons.

Also we dropped the power 5 game and replaced that with a gimme win and also added another game to the schedule that was also another gimme win.

ADVERTISEMENT