ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky football’s chances of breaking through in the East all comes down to very good quarterback play. This is if everything else remains strong.

I think we need Hartline’s 2010 numbers or better to break through Georgia’s and Florida’s death grip on the East. We have the running game, strong offensive line, strong depth returning on the defense. Now the next step is quarterback play.
DYK....Hartline is the last UK QB to throw for 3000+ yards in a season? The same Hartline some here loved to hate.

To win an SEC division you almost have to have an elite quarterback not just a very good one. Right now Georgia is in the drivers seat so long as J T Daniels performs the way he was playing towards the end of last season, short of that I think the Cats have an outside shot.

Really love the title...but in all honesty it's that age old thing: better quarterback play and more than one dimensional play calling.
Compared to six years ago when it was pretty much all facets, the program has come a long way.

I agree that we need better QB play, but in order to get there we will also have to have better wide receiver play. If they can't get separation and win jumps balls between them and the corner, then it won't matter who is sitting the pocket trying to get them the ball.

If the players believes their QB can win big games, how he plays is moot. How does that happen? Win big games.

With today's rules nothing matters but strong QB and WR play. OL can do just about anything and not get called for holding. DB cant intimidate receivers. If the QB is accurate your defense doesnt matter. Bama couldnt slow down OM or UF, but neither tdd of those could handle Bamas offense. With Pickens I thought we had a good shot at winning the East and beating Bama this year, still got a shot, but not as good.

With today's rules nothing matters but strong QB and WR play. OL can do just about anything and not get called for holding. DB cant intimidate receivers. If the QB is accurate your defense doesnt matter. Bama couldnt slow down OM or UF, but neither tdd of those could handle Bamas offense. With Pickens I thought we had a good shot at winning the East and beating Bama this year, still got a shot, but not as good.

You have a better shot now that you're going to be running a more modern offense.

Historically the times UK went to bowl games was due to QB play.

Couch, Bonner, Woodson, Hartline.

Their teams were much weaker across the board than the current roster.

I agree with the OP that QB play is the next thing UK needs to continue climbing the ladder.
We could potentially beat anybody or get beat by anybody. Like living and dying by the 3 pointer, you have an off day and get beat by Akron. When the QB graduated we were somewhat atrocious. Those offenses were fun but it makes you appreciate the strong foundation Stoops has built in OL, defense, and RB. Now throw in a 3k passing offense and we’re top 10 in the country.

1. UK needs better QB play for sure...no doubt.
2. But UK needs to get back to a better pass rush for sure.....the impact Josh Allen had as an individual elite edge rusher was eye opening. Losing Boogie and Weaver coming off ACL....I'm equally as worried about that spot as I am QB.

I was highly impressed with J T Daniels the last few games, they seemed to be a different team when he came in. I think if he continues to develop with your offense you've got a great shot at making it to the final 4 this year.

He certainly made our offense more exciting to watch. He says he is back to 100% with the knee, guys return in 10 months but it seems like a lot take longer. But the down side is his favorite target is out, but if all the other injuries come back healthy the WR room looks ok, several have played, but not been the main guy. Maybe the fastest guy in college football at one WR, ran a 10.10 this season, maybe the biggest WR in Gilbert. Daniel just has to find the guy he trust. I hope it's the TE.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I think we need Hartline’s 2010 numbers or better to break through Georgia’s and Florida’s death grip on the East. We have the running game, strong offensive line, strong depth returning on the defense. Now the next step is quarterback play.

Game management by the QB and playing well within the system, successfully reading through progressions, and being able to hit receivers in stride are all important, but we need to play well in all phases this year and stay healthy. We still don't have Georgia-like depth to get us through.

Still may be thin at DB and MLB

Reactions: Ky grandpa
DYK....Hartline is the last UK QB to throw for 3000+ yards in a season? The same Hartline some here loved to hate.

I said back then people underrated him just because of who he followed (and because of his struggles throwing the ball as a sophomore - but the guy he followed also struggled as a sophomore). Never would have suspected, though, that over a decade later he'd be better than everyone we'd had since.

Historically the times UK went to bowl games was due to QB play.

Couch, Bonner, Woodson, Hartline.

Their teams were much weaker across the board than the current roster.

I agree with the OP that QB play is the next thing UK needs to continue climbing the ladder.
I think you mean Start climbing the ladder. 😇

I will give him this: Kirby is pretty good at winning recruiting titles and with premature Heisman favorite QBs. Truthfully, I feel like he doesn't get enough credit as a QB whisperer. Simply amazing what he did with Justin Fields.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: *Bleedingblue*
I have often called Hartline the smartest UK QB that I have seen play in my 50 plua years. He threw for many yards with a whimpy arm.
I think Brooks mentioned his grasp of the game too. His brother was a WR at Miami that made the NFL, now coaching with Ohio State last I heard.
jauk11 said:

Last edited:
With all that talent...Kirby couldn't coach his way out of a phone booth.

How did mack look the last time he faced Saban? Kirby isnt perfect by any stretch. But we were ahead of UF when our QB was slammed on his shoulder last fall and led Bama at halftime last season with 2 starting defenders out. Vol fans think the same, yet he is 4-1 against then, UF fans th he same, yet he is 3-2 against UF and 3-1 against Mullen. The eventual national champion has ended our chance to win it 3 times in Kirbys time at UGA, 4 if 20 is counted, without the loss to Bama we win the East last year.

So saying Kirby cant coach himself out of a phone booth sounds like sour grapes, did UNC try to hire him when he was at Bama?

ADVERTISEMENT