ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky boys ..... from instate ......

Yeah. Our state isn't a high schools basketball state. Not enough cities with large populations like elsewhere. We don't have a history of producing top players of recruits. Not a big call for an inch of 5'10" shooting guards.

Reactions: Cats192
If you like 21-13 seasons go for it.

One or two a class is fine. But my prerequisites include a minimum of a 3-star ranking and at least one offer from a P5 school, which Willis and Dom both had.

This state produces a lot of 6-foot-2 white centers and 5-foot-6 point guards. That doesn't really scream UK-level to me.

I would love to see about five recruited and play four yrs. each.

Maybe someday if Ky HS basketball ever stops sucking compared to other states we might consider something like that. But now it's just not an option, unless of course, you're comfortable with the idea of UK becoming an OVC caliber program.

This class is picked clean, but chance to add some decent kids in 2018 and 2019 class.

Remeber this - PJ Washington can be counted as a Kentucky kid. Born in Ky.

Yeah. Our state isn't a high schools basketball state. Not enough cities with large populations like elsewhere. We don't have a history of producing top players of recruits. Not a big call for an inch of 5'10" shooting guards.

You don't follow the state that well..

A Kid from last year class that would have been a good fit
Quentin Goodin starting guard at Xavier, from Taylor County.

Goodin and Martin were good enough to suit up at UK. Wouldn't mind having Beetle Bolden in the program now. Ohmer would add depth. I'm sure there are others that could help fill out the team and improve the depth. I think Ray Spalding would have developed under UK coaching. They are out there. I'd like Coach Cal to have Coach Justice ID a few of the under the radar guys and grab one every year.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
I agree this group worked out well, would be nice to land one or two each yr. The kid out of Lex this yr signed with WKU ,he is Ky Mr . BB

Oh I do. Name me 5 in-state seniors who can compete at UK.

I don't see anywhere that the OP mentioned SRs... However, I'm certain there's 3 or so players that could contribute in their 4 yr in KY similar to Hawkins or Willis. They both came a long ways.

Mr Basketball in UK (WKU signee) would've been an option this year.

Jr and Soph class have some interesting players as I'm most familiar with..

Goodin and Martin were good enough to suit up at UK. Wouldn't mind having Beetle Bolden in the program now. Ohmer would add depth. I'm sure there are others that could help fill out the team and improve the depth. I think Ray Spalding would have developed under UK coaching. They are out there. I'd like Coach Cal to have Coach Justice ID a few of the under the radar guys and grab one every year.
Ohmer was going to University of the Cumberlands until he put on a show at the State Tourney. You're not going to get these other kids to sit on a UK bench with hopes of getting a few minutes as a Senior off the bench when they can go to a lesser school and play.

Reactions: Kewlcats
I watched Hollingsworth play on a few occasions. The fact a 6'2" 3-Star PG is our Mr Basketball speaks volumes about the level of players in our state. He may have been a decent backup as a Sr but chances are he might not have played. He was smart to go to WKU.

Reactions: howercat
Saw one player this year who, IMHO, could compete, perhaps not beatout, but compete with UK's star studded class. Peyton Broughton of North Laurel---6'4" and a hard 175 lbs (looked to me to be closer to 6' 5" and 190 lbs)--averaged 30.8 ppg, 8.3 rpg, shot 62.4% overall, 42% from behind the arc, and 79.1% from the free throw line. Good, not great handle, and very athletic and aggressive. Couldn't find a vertical on him, but from watching him play above the rim, I would guess his vertical is pushing 40 in. Has all the tools to be a solid defender.

But, as a 2-star, apparently didn't show up on UK's radar. According to Clemson web site had early offers from Clemson, Miami(OH), Samford and Western Kentucky. Signed with EKU.

Reactions: Blue_2_the_bone
Saw one player this year who, IMHO, could compete, perhaps not beatout, but compete with UK's star studded class. Peyton Broughton of North Laurel---6'4" and a hard 175 lbs (looked to me to be closer to 6' 5" and 190 lbs)--averaged 30.8 ppg, 8.3 rpg, shot 62.4% overall, 42% from behind the arc, and 79.1% from the free throw line. Good, not great handle, and very athletic and aggressive. Couldn't find a vertical on him, but from watching him play above the rim, I would guess his vertical is pushing 40 in. Has all the tools to be a solid defender.

But, as a 2-star, apparently didn't show up on UK's radar. According to Clemson web site had early offers from Clemson, Miami(OH), Samford and Western Kentucky. Signed with EKU.
Broughton can play. He's an athlete. Not a great shooter but was one of the more athletic guys I've seen in the 13th region since Charles Thomas. He could have went somewhere better than EKU.

He's still not better than the Taylor kid from Corbin though. He may be the best player in the 13th since Charles Thomas.

Trace Young from North Hardin is highest rated KY kid in the rankings. 6-8 small forward, don't believe he has signed anywhere yet.

Broughton could've never competed at UK. Seen him play maybe 40 times in his career at North. Good player but there is absolutely no way he could compete at UK.

Reactions: Blue_2_the_bone
I don't care if they are from Iceland as long as they can play. Makes absolutely zero difference to me where they are from.

Reactions: Nuke99m
Shooting guards?
You must live in a giant area.
I come from the land of 5'10" power forwards.

Ha yep. My senior year the tallest kid on our team was maybe 6'3". Patrick Sparks put up something like 70 against them. I can't imagine what would have happened if some of these one and done kids had played against my school.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
Broughton could've never competed at UK. Seen him play maybe 40 times in his career at North. Good player but there is absolutely no way he could compete at UK.

With all due respect, it's hard for me to believe that a kid as big and strong and as athletic and aggressive as Broughton that shoots over 60% from the floor and over 40% from 3-point range could not even compete at UK. :sunglasses: Your assessment of Broughton is eerily similar to Pitino's assessment of Richie Farmer. :sunglasses:

Perhaps we'll get a chance to see. :sunglasses: Over the next four years there's a possibility of a UK-EKU matchup.

Broughton can play. He's an athlete. Not a great shooter but was one of the more athletic guys I've seen in the 13th region since Charles Thomas. He could have went somewhere better than EKU.

He's still not better than the Taylor kid from Corbin though. He may be the best player in the 13th since Charles Thomas.

Not sure how you characterize a kid who shoots over 60% overall and over 40% from 3-point range as "not a great shooter". :sunglasses:

It's a nice thought, but I really don't understand why people care. Put them all on the court and ask an uninformed person to pick out the one from KY.

Give me a team that can compete.

Not sure how you characterize a kid who shoots over 60% overall and over 40% from 3-point range as "not a great shooter". :sunglasses:
Ive coached against him few times and watched a lot of film on him over the past few years. Saw him drop 50+ at the Mt. Classic this past season while scouting. He hurts you in the lane and at the freethrow line. Not a great midrange shooter & doesn't attempt many 3s. Not a great defender but a high caliber athlete. Wasn't even the best player in his region. EKU is a great fit for him. He could probably have played at a lesser major school due to his size and ball handling, but not UK.

Maybe Kentuckians don't understand but there are as many if not more UK fans who do not live in Kentucky as there are those that do. Kentucky is an international program. I can see wanting home grown talent but don't go overboard. History tells us that is one reason the Kentucky Football program was killed of in the 1950's. Some politician wanted the scholarships for Kentucky boys and the program went into the ditch and is still trying to get out of it.

Don't do that to the premier basketball program on earth.

Reactions: Nuke99m
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT