ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky 2023

What is the stay/Go deadline? Assume baseball different? Would love to get Ritter and Estep back. Everyone else with the exception of maybe Lewis and Burkes is replaceable IMHO. We need pitching, pitching and more pitching.

The transfer portal closes on July 1. So, if you're getting into that you have to declare by then. However, one can enter the portal and then exit it. That isn't the deadline to leave, just to announce your intent to possibly leave. If that makes sense.

The MLB draft will be July 17-19. Players drafted will have until like August 1 (just a guess, but it is something similar) to decide whether they will sign with the MLB team or will return to college.

Reactions: SeanCain
The transfer portal closes on July 1. So, if you're getting into that you have to declare by then. However, one can enter the portal and then exit it. That isn't the deadline to leave, just to announce your intent to possibly leave. If that makes sense.

The MLB draft will be July 17-19. Players drafted will have until like August 1 (just a guess, but it is something similar) to decide whether they will sign with the MLB team or will return to college.
Appreciate ya

Reactions: Comebakatz3
I think he'll be back.

People posting on this board are probably the biggest UK baseball fans on the Internet, so I won't be adding anything that you all haven't covered. I thought there was an undeniable jump in terms of quality wins this year -- 12 top 25 RPI wins is more than enough for a team to get in the tournament -- so that's what makes it so disappointing that they still finished 12th in the league. On paper, it was also a top 20 (I think 17th?) strength of schedule. There were some real positives this season. Still, this is a team that wasn't guaranteed to make the SEC Tournament until the final day of the season.

I don't think anyone in the baseball program is happy with the results. As you all know, the biggest PR battle this program is going to face is the roster construction. Whether it be guys who didn't fit, perhaps guys who weren't talented enough, whatever it may be, the high school recruiting -- particularly position players -- has not been good enough. It's actually been quite bad and the numbers back that up.

If you go back to 2018, I'd argue only four high school position players have been what you'd hope for: Austin Schultz, John Rhodes, Chase Estep, and I'd probably add Devin Burkes to this list just because I think he's going to be good. There have been other "contributors" depending on how you want to frame that (Cam Hill comes to mind) but that's just a crazy miss rate for an SEC team. It's not meant to be harsh, but when you look at the lineup for the majority of the year, Estep was the only kid who signed with Kentucky out of high school.

That's where some nuance comes in, at least for me. I think Will Coggin has done a pretty good job, particularly with classes 2023-25. The 2024 and 25 classes have some true high-end guys already committed. But we're talking about guys who are still years away from being here.

Who are the 2025 high end guys committed? Honestly didn’t even know we had any since UK told our in-state guys that they weren’t comfortable offering guys that young without seeing them more. Coggin and UK have missed on several top end ‘24 kentucky kids already, they do have Harris though who I really like. They’ve missed on the top 2 in-state kids already in ‘25 and only ‘23 they have is Hart I believe who is another top end LHP.

Reactions: SeanCain

4.26 ERA at Western. 56 strikeouts and only 12 walks in 31 innings pitched.

Just saw that is as well. UK staff must have been particularly impressed with him given that he went 3.0 innings against us (tied for the most he pitched all season) giving up 3 hits and striking out 2 batters, helping Western Kentucky beat UK 7-5 on March 1.

Who are the 2025 high end guys committed? Honestly didn’t even know we had any since UK told our in-state guys that they weren’t comfortable offering guys that young without seeing them more. Coggin and UK have missed on several top end ‘24 kentucky kids already, they do have Harris though who I really like. They’ve missed on the top 2 in-state kids already in ‘25 and only ‘23 they have is Hart I believe who is another top end LHP.
Lefthanded pitchers Luke Pappano from St. Xavier in Cincinnati and Hunter Richardson from Vandalia, Ohio. Pappano is top-25 nationally on Perfect Game and Richardson was named First-Team All-State in Ohio. Got a text from someone who coaches in Ohio saying Richardson is the most polished high school freshman he's seen.

In 23, UK also has Raymond Saatman and Connor Fugate from in-state committed.

• Love
Reactions: parrott
Seems like a decent addition. Wish we could land some players from higher level conferences, but I know there’s solid players from every level in baseball. Also mingione really must step up his recruiting efforts as we’re currently ranked 35 in ‘23 and 31 in ‘24 which is behind almost every SEC school and UofL.

Lefthanded pitchers Luke Pappano from St. Xavier in Cincinnati and Hunter Richardson from Vandalia, Ohio. Pappano is top-25 nationally on Perfect Game and Richardson was named First-Team All-State in Ohio. Got a text from someone who coaches in Ohio saying Richardson is the most polished high school freshman he's seen.

In 23, UK also has Raymond Saatman and Connor Fugate from in-state committed.

Yeah like both of those ‘25s, it’s a shame they slow played Elam and Jenkins though. I think Slabaugh kid is next big prospect for that class.

The ‘23 class definitely isn’t as good or deep as ‘24 class in Ky. Forgot all about those 2 guys being committed though I’m unsure on how SEC quality they are. Am interested in seeing how Hamilton and Cameron develop in that class, they are both good sized and athletic.

Seems like a decent addition. Wish we could land some players from higher level conferences, but I know there’s solid players from every level in baseball. Also mingione really must step up his recruiting efforts as we’re currently ranked 35 in ‘23 and 31 in ‘24 which is behind almost every SEC school and UofL.

My concern with additions right now is that we, IMO, need to find starters. Chavez and Vineyard are clearly bullpen guys. Vineyard was a closer and had 8 saves. So, we're not looking for him to start. Right now the only portal addition that has started is Martin, who came from a D3 school. Throwing him to SEC wolves within a month is scary as hell to me. I don't know what kind of stuff he has, but he didn't exactly dominate D3 baseball. So, even with his addition I just don't see a pitcher on our staff for 2023 that I feel confident in as a starter.

Yeah like both of those ‘25s, it’s a shame they slow played Elam and Jenkins though. I think Slabaugh kid is next big prospect for that class.

The ‘23 class definitely isn’t as good or deep as ‘24 class in Ky. Forgot all about those 2 guys being committed though I’m unsure on how SEC quality they are. Am interested in seeing how Hamilton and Cameron develop in that class, they are both good sized and athletic.
It sounds like you have a better feel for the in-state prospects than I do by a wide margin. I know Zak Spurrier is a target but I don't know much past that at this point. But I think that's the class that Zach Moss from Hopkinsville is committed in.

It sounds like you have a better feel for the in-state prospects than I do by a wide margin. I know Zak Spurrier is a target but I don't know much past that at this point. But I think that's the class that Zach Moss from Hopkinsville is committed in.
Do you know if we went after Patrick Forbes from Bowling Green? Mr Baseball this year.

The level of production that some SEC transfers had this year was pretty much impossible to predict. Tyler Guilfoil had production levels at Lipscomb that made me think he could help the team, but 80 strikeouts in 51 innings and the reliever of the year in the SEC? I don't think even the most optimistic person would've seen that coming.

Sonny DiChiara had shown an ability to hit for power throughout his time at Samford, but he hit .273 for the season last year. He ends up hitting damn near .400 this year and is co-SEC player of the year. Those are two best case scenarios, but I'm not going to write anyone off before they play their first game at UK.

Yes Moss started to come on during fall, a bit of a project imo but potential high ceiling guy. Spurrier is a big arm coming on as of late, a guy UK probably should of been on months ago.

Lose all three of those guys and that’s a tough break for the cats. Looks likely at this point though.

Looks like Caden Dana's high school season is still going, actually. He's expected to pitch in the state championship tonight. I'm guessing he'll go out to San Deigo after that.

Looks like Caden Dana's high school season is still going, actually. He's expected to pitch in the state championship tonight. I'm guessing he'll go out to San Deigo after that.

Wow, that's a pretty long season.

My concern with additions right now is that we, IMO, need to find starters. Chavez and Vineyard are clearly bullpen guys. Vineyard was a closer and had 8 saves. So, we're not looking for him to start. Right now the only portal addition that has started is Martin, who came from a D3 school. Throwing him to SEC wolves within a month is scary as hell to me. I don't know what kind of stuff he has, but he didn't exactly dominate D3 baseball. So, even with his addition I just don't see a pitcher on our staff for 2023 that I feel confident in as a starter.
Not just starters but SEC level starters. That’s a tall task.

Have you heard of any other guys entering the portal? Also regarding the portal, have you heard of any guys they may be trying to bring in?
They've had guys on visits over the weekend and early this week. Think UK is in good shape for a few guys but no firm decisions yet.

And I don't know of anyone else planning to enter the portal at this point.

The biggest issue under mingione is recruiting. We shouldn’t be needing to restock so much of our roster with transfers each year. Not much development it seems.

Reactions: dtjr and SeanCain
The biggest issue under mingione is recruiting. We shouldn’t be needing to restock so much of our roster with transfers each year. Not much development it seems.

I understand what you are saying but baseball is a completely different animal when it comes to recruiting…..and that’s due to how you handle giving out 11.7 scholarships.

They've had guys on visits over the weekend and early this week. Think UK is in good shape for a few guys but no firm decisions yet.

I figured at least of couple of guys who didn’t play at all would leave. It happens every year.

Does anyone know if Burkes could play the OF? We are pretty deep at the 2. Definitely need his bat and he seems athletic enough to change positions. If not then he is definitely starting behind the dish.

Thank you for all your info

I just want to highlight what UK will lose for 2023:

Daniel Harris
Adam Fogel
John Thrasher
Hunter Jump
Oraj Anu

Sean Harney
Daniel Harper
Mason Hazelwood

Likely to lose:
Chase Estep - Rated in the top 200 draft prospects
Ryan Ritter - Rated in the top 200 draft prospects, him leaving is practically guaranteed.
Jacob Plastiak
Tyler Bosma - Has eligibility, as does Plastiak, but things are pointing to them leaving.
Liebert - In the transfer portal
Hudepohl - In the transfer portal

Could lose:
Cole Stupp - likely lose him but for the injury
Tyler Guilfoil - really solid season could have him go ahead with the draft, usually get better leverage as a junior.
Alonso Rubalcaba - Don't really know what he will do. A lot of catchers.

Won't likely get:
Caden Dana (RHP) - Ranked in top 200 draft prospects.
Tommy Specht (OF) - Ranked in top 200 draft prospects.

I imagine that UK might see some others also transfer out, especially those that are being underutilized. Possibilities:
Devin Burkes - I heard that he was close to leaving in 2021 and that he was promised the backup role in 2022. That hasn't happened. However, we lose both catchers ahead of him in 2023, so he could return.
Evan Byers - Redshirted last year, has barely played as a RS freshman.

Possibly returning:
Darren Williams - Was granted an extra year of eligibility. Will have a long recovery, it seems, so might not be ready for the first half.

It looks like we lose something like 15 guys at this point. We could lose more.

We Gain from the portal:
C/DH - Haydn McGeary
1B - Hunter Gilliam
RP - Seth Chavez
Comebak does Harper have any eligibility left? He would probably go anyway if drafted I assume.

Comebak does Harper have any eligibility left? He would probably go anyway if drafted I assume.

Nope, Harper was in his "super senior,' year this season so he is done for good. I had heard at one point he has plans for law school, so he may be representing KY in a new way in three years or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crazycat68
They had to redo the schedule. So, here is updated. You can see the previous to compare.

Reactions: parrott
ADVERTISEMENT