ADVERTISEMENT

Kenpom Darling Wichita State Lost in MVCT Last Night

They're 24-8 but they have ONE win over a Top 75 RPI team. Seth Davis was comparing them to LSU last night and says LSU has the better resume. But neither deserve a bid.

He was actually very high on the Cats as well.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
They're 24-8 but they have ONE win over a Top 75 RPI team. Seth Davis was comparing them to LSU last night and says LSU has the better resume. But neither deserve a bid.

I have wondered about Seth Davis lately......he has been complimentary to UK?

During halftime of Iowa/Michigan last night Lunardi said since Wichita St didn't win their tourney it bumps another bubble team out.

I didn't realize they lost 8 games this year. Seems as though some want Van Vleet and Baker in regardless of resume...

Will be an interesting case study in how much the committee values the metrics over the more traditional stuff and RPI and how much/little value they place on the losses where Van Vleet and Baker didn't play. 10th on Pomeroy, 24th on Sagarin, 24th on BPI. But 50th on RPI. If they place a lot of value in the Pomeroy/Sagarin/BPI stuff and devalue the losses without one or both of their top two players, Wichita is a lock. If they don't then Wichita is going to be tough to put in.

During halftime of Iowa/Michigan last night Lunardi said since Wichita St didn't win their tourney it bumps another bubble team out.

I didn't realize they lost 8 games this year. Seems as though some want Van Vleet and Baker in regardless of resume...
wins and losses do not count. cool. something else to remember.

This is bad. Seth davis is awful at prognosticating. Pretty much every pick he makes, pick the opposite and you' ll win. Hope he has cats losing.

I have them an 11 seed but that was before last night.

I think they should be out. I don't believe the majority of them care about KP and Sagarin. So going by their metric (RPI) no they shouldn't make it

I understand teams from mid majors that don't play top 50 competition because they can't. But Wichita State had five games vs Top 50 and only won ONE.

They will probably get in but there's other teams with better resumes.

This is what the "First Four" was made for. Teams like Wichita State that has "bad paper" but has talent. They were without FVV for much of their non conf schedule. Their non conf SOS was around 10. So while they have just 1 top 50 win (A top 10 win over Utah at home) they have 4 top 100 wins not great but in 2013 Middle Tennessee went 28-5 and had 1 top 100 win.........yes just 1 but they had a non conf SOS of 9 and they got in the First Four.

ESPN Joe Lunardi says they are firmly in (had as a 7 seed before their loss) and said last night the bubble shrunk by 1.
CBS Jerry Palm has them OUT and everyone on CBS ranted last night how LSU had a more favorable chance.

I have 7 days to decide myself but despite the paper saying out I am thinking they are in maybe an 11 seed in the First Four. This is what the First Four was made for. Put them up against a bubble team from the Big 5 conferences.

Reactions: miller0926
This is what the "First Four" was made for. Teams like Wichita State that has "bad paper" but has talent. They were without FVV for much of their non conf schedule. Their non conf SOS was around 10. So while they have just 1 top 50 win (A top 10 win over Utah at home) they have 4 top 100 wins not great but in 2013 Middle Tennessee went 28-5 and had 1 top 100 win.........yes just 1 but they had a non conf SOS of 9 and they got in the First Four.

ESPN Joe Lunardi says they are firmly in (had as a 7 seed before their loss) and said last night the bubble shrunk by 1.
CBS Jerry Palm has them OUT and everyone on CBS ranted last night how LSU had a more favorable chance.

I have 7 days to decide myself but despite the paper saying out I am thinking they are in maybe an 11 seed in the First Four. This is what the First Four was made for. Put them up against a bubble team from the Big 5 conferences.

Middle Tenn shouldn't have received that bid either. It should have gone to Tenn if i recall correctly.

Kenpom shows WSU to be more in the #3 to #4 seed territory. That is a really solid team despite the early losses.

The committee would do well to stick WSU in Kansas's 8/9 game. It will be so hilarious to watch the Jayhawks fall to their big brother for the 2nd year in a row.

Middle Tenn shouldn't have received that bid either. It should have gone to Tenn if i recall correctly.

I think you meant it should have went to UK. It was a joke Boise ST and MTSU got in over UK, with or without Noel. The committee would have had amazing First Four ratings with UK in one of the games.

It's not just the Kenpom and Sagarin ratings. Even by RPI, they're not keeping anyone better out. No one's going to shed tears if Michigan our Tulsa don't make it. And you factor in the injury and winning the MVC with an 18-2 record, I think they make it.

I think you meant it should have went to UK. It was a joke Boise ST and MTSU got in over UK, with or without Noel. The committee would have had amazing First Four ratings with UK in one of the games.

UK was in that mix too tho Tenn may have been more deserving once Noel went out for us

http://bracketmatrix.com/matrix_2013.html

17 of 120 brackets had us
50 of 120 brackets had Tenn

Then again 72 of 120 had Middle Tenn..........so the majority doesn't agree with me.

I still think you have to beat SOMEONE and middle did not.

Interesting Joe Lunardi has Wichita State still as a 7 seed even with the loss. I expected a drop in seed a couple lines from him.

This is EPSN vs CBS on this one if you tuned into ESPN yesterday and Saturday night they were all agreeing with their guy Joe and saying they should be in and if you watched any CBS they were all saying they were out and all agreed with Jerry of course.

WSU will get in, they have had a solid 3-4 year run, they have 2 excellent guards in VanVleet and Baker. The Valley is an excellent mid-major conference, they will probably get a 7 or 8 seed.
They also knocked off Kansas last year, that should still resonate with the committee.

They've played 25 games at full strength. In those 25 games, they have roughly a top 12 profile.

As weak a year as it is, it would be kind of silly if they don't make it.

ADVERTISEMENT