ADVERTISEMENT

Keith Madison name on new stadium

law1127

Junior
Gold Member
Dec 20, 2004
As an early supporter of Keith's tenure at UK, supplementing his $17,500/yr "salary", along with other baseball supporters, donating work and money on stadium renovations,its ironic that Cliff Hagans name was put on our current stadium! Cliff was the AD ,that relegated Keith Madison to a basement office in old Alumni Gym, and paid him part time money,for a full time job! Keith did field maintenance ,due to lack of funds ,for the baseball program. Keith basically built the modern UK baseball program,from the ground up! His won /loss record ,under these circumstances, is exceptional. His recruiting ,also was exceptional, considering the limitations imposed on his budget! Therefore his name ,should be prominently displayed on the new stadium,to reflect his efforts,in establishing a modern, competitive baseball program,that we enjoy now!

I will say that I love the idea of "the Cliff." However, I don't mind naming it after Keith Madison... we could call it, "The Mad House!" We could also incorporate some sort of "cliff" element, like the porch we have now, and we could still call it the Cliff. "The Cliff, at Keith Madison Stadium." I like it.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
Madison was a good coach and a good guy. Back in the days when I was engaged in Little League baseball he came to our fields several times to put on coaching clinics.

Peace

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
As an early supporter of Keith's tenure at UK, supplementing his $17,500/yr "salary", along with other baseball supporters, donating work and money on stadium renovations,its ironic that Cliff Hagans name was put on our current stadium! Cliff was the AD ,that relegated Keith Madison to a basement office in old Alumni Gym, and paid him part time money,for a full time job! Keith did field maintenance ,due to lack of funds ,for the baseball program. Keith basically built the modern UK baseball program,from the ground up! His won /loss record ,under these circumstances, is exceptional. His recruiting ,also was exceptional, considering the limitations imposed on his budget! Therefore his name ,should be prominently displayed on the new stadium,to reflect his efforts,in establishing a modern, competitive baseball program,that we enjoy now!
Why would you be surprised? He was a star basketball player at UK, right? More good ole boy bs just like Newton.

I will say that I love the idea of "the Cliff." However, I don't mind naming it after Keith Madison... we could call it, "The Mad House!" We could also incorporate some sort of "cliff" element, like the porch we have now, and we could still call it the Cliff. "The Cliff, at Keith Madison Stadium." I like it.
Only like to see names on things for people when they are earned!!! Just like CMN'S name has no business on KCWS, neither does CH's belong the baseball field...drain the swamp!

Reactions: 1977 Cat
1977cat we had a big time in Hoover when Cohen was coaching! Hopefully many more.!

Reactions: 1977 Cat
I have mixed feelings about Keith Madison, he was a mediocre coach that happen to do everything a head coach wasn't suppose to do, but at UK nobody cared about baseball and the team suffered. Madison did improve the team's status in the SEC, however the SEC had no respect for Kentucky baseball or football for years. The highlite of Madison's tenure was in the late 80's when the Cats were needing 1 game to go to Omaha and played Stanford, who had to beat them twice, Stanford won the first game by 1 run behind Mike Mussina. The second game was a blowout as UK ran out of pitchers. Stanford went to Omaha & won the CWS that year. If they don't sell the naming rights, then Keith Madison should be honored someway by UK. John Cohen showed UK that baseball can win in the SEC and with Coach Mingione leading the way, UK will be a force in the SEC in future years.

ADVERTISEMENT