ADVERTISEMENT

Keith Bogans

One of my favorites as well SmashCat! The man had unbelievable talent and his heart was as big as a semi. I always had the feeling back then that our guys would die before not giving 1000%. Not that everyone before Or after that era played harder or not, I’m just saying that if those guys who were supposed to be on the floor wasn’t, they probably had something broken pretty bad. Haha. Thanks bud. He’s an all timer in my book for sure.

Yet never made one final four. Thanks Tubby.

I still wonder if Bogans hadn’t injured his ankle, would D-Wade and Marquette have upset the Cats in 2003.

I just remember Bogans really struggling on defense on Wade. I am not saying he would’ve shut him down, but I think he would’ve slowed him down a lot more which would’ve changed the complexion of the game.

I guess both of these examples show how tough it can be to make final fours for guys that play 3 or 4 seasons here. I just remember the faux outrage on here for the one and done types not making a final four post 2015. Thanks to cal for that.

Imagine having 18 guys as good as Keith Bogans and not making a final four. Crazy.

possibly the most underrated player in uk history.
Was even underrated on his high school team. Remember when many analysts claimed Joe Forte was the better prospect. Forte went in the first round of the NBA draft after playing two years in college at UNC. In comparison Bogans stayed at UK for four years and was drafted in the 2nd round but ended up sticking in the league.

Was even underrated on his high school team. Remember when many analysts claimed Joe Forte was the better prospect. Forte went in the first round of the NBA draft after playing two years in college at UNC. In comparison Bogans stayed at UK for four years and was drafted in the 2nd round but ended up sticking in the league.
Yep. That’s Forte next to Bogans in the photo.

He found his niche in the NBA. He was an outstanding perimeter defender.

11 year career and a poor man's Bruce Bowen (corner threes and defense). He was a 35% career three point shooter.

One of my all-time favorites.
DeMatha was a powerhouse under Morgan Wootten. Wootten turned down more money from college programs on numerous occasions.

Morgan-Wootten.jpeg

Hogans had a significant limp and very poor lateral movement during that game. Pretty much played on one leg. People say, well he had 20 points, but Marquette sagged off him pretty heavy to make it tougher for the other 4.
For the second half of that season, UK played basketball as well as any team has ever played it. But Bogans had no business playing in that game being as injured as he was.

I still wonder if Bogans hadn’t injured his ankle, would D-Wade and Marquette have upset the Cats in 2003.

I just remember Bogans really struggling on defense on Wade. I am not saying he would’ve shut him down, but I think he would’ve slowed him down a lot more which would’ve changed the complexion of the game.
With a healthy Bogans we may not have won but Marquette would not have boat raced us like they did.

Yet never made one final four. Thanks Tubby.
While true, he also did play in arguably one of the greatest NCAA Tournament games in history when he lead UK to a double overtime victory over St. Bonaventure in 2000. The only real head scratching loss they had with Bogans in the tournament was to USC in 2001. One of those games where the Trojans got hot and honestly used the media for motivation. Everyone was saying UK/Duke in Philadelphia again for a Final Four bid. Sometimes that happens.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
No disrespect, but I still can't read your posts. Most of us can't. Do you do this intentionally?
I believe he had it on a setting on his PC (or phone) for him to read easier for his eyesight, but his replies have the letters in white. If you scroll over his replies like you’re going to copy and paste, you can read them. I don’t think he’s screwing with us, I just think he doesn’t realize he hasn’t switched back or doesn’t always know how to do it.

Reactions: Fox2monk

It was that damn white guard that crushed us in that game! Wade had a triple double but was it Steve Novak?

The Dwayne Wade hero worship is cute. The very next game after ours dude got off only one 3 and shot 43% from 2 while getting utterly dismantled by Kansas.

It is not guaranteed that we would have won a 2003 title with a healthy Keith Bogans. It is only 99.99998% guaranteed.

Last edited:
Reactions: kats23 and chroix
I thought he was a guard it’s been a long time. I was in Florida and on my way back listening to that game in the car. All I remember was him hitting a back breaking 3 all game long.
Novak was the classic stretch 4 before the term was used.
Miss St. transfer Robert Jackson was also huge for Marquette as he dominated Estill.
Basically all of MU's guys came to play and UK's didn't except for an injured Bogans.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT