ADVERTISEMENT

KAT on social justice

You have to hold someone accountable. Who?

Man, I don't know. Everyone? Good luck figuring that out. You can only be held accountable when there's a uniform set of rules. I don't think we're even to that point yet.

I think the issue is all over the place. I think in lots of cases, there are people and groups who have been trying to solve these problems for years but either don't have the means or resources or manpower or support to make it happen (for thousands of reasons).

I also think there are people who don't want it solved (like I mentioned above, usually for personal and political gain).

I also think there are people who believe those issues will be improved if these other things (poverty, education, police relations, etc) are improved and focus their efforts elsewhere but are hoping for the same end result you are.

There are people who don't actually want to do anything and just want to talk because it alleviates them of guilt and makes a social statement.

There are people who believe it's a product of systemic racism and that until racism is solved, that those issues can't be (kind of the reverse stance of what we're talking about, I guess).

So I don't think it's fair to label anyone who's speaking out as one particular thing or act like there's this overarching force trying to keep the situation tumultuous. I think it's mostly well-meaning and well-reasoned people with different ideas, trying different solutions, without the unity and organization it will probably take to fix something of that magnitude. Too many cooks, so to speak.

It's probably a combination of all the factors I mentioned and more, but we aren't in a climate where nuance and discussion is allowed, and the feelings and emotions and opinions are so hot (and getting hotter) that it's just folks trying to talk over each other and call the other side a villain. And that lets the real villains slip through the cracks.

I can agree with a good portion of this, I still think it evades the mountains, but I get your reasoning for why you think that.

When I taught high school in W. Tn we had kids die, seemed yearly. And that's no hyperbole. They are in your class one day, they are gone the next. believe it or not, you have to try and not let it become a normal routine in your mind. And I'm sure that's something you could respect. Mentoring kids that pass to violence is something that just sticks. And when it seems like nothing is being done about it, and white/black people pass on it because it's tough, it can become a rage.

I would love to tackle real issues, and any form of police brutality that comes to play. But the victimization industry is causing crazy damage and paranoia. And that I just won't sign on for.

All imo.

Sure we are...the ten commandments...oh yeah, I forgot. Those are not legal ...

I think I missed that particular piece of legislation.

We can use them personally, but I'd hate to be "held accountable" by someone else's religious texts, so I'd rather not go down that road.

Reactions: ashbergh
Oh, and before I forget, @Cowtown Cat I saw that like you slid in there on that bash trump post!!!

And you were one of my favorites. :(

It's like I don't even know you.

Oh, and before I forget, @Cowtown Cat I saw that like you slid in there on that bash trump post!!!

Whoa, which one? I didn't even know I did, for real.

Edit: You're talking about @GonzoCat90's post. I didn't take it as a slam on Trump (I don't dislike Trump at all). I liked it because it was a fair and valid point on the part of @GonzoCat90. Mostly, I'm not a big Twatter fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: GonzoCat90
I think I missed that particular piece of legislation.

We can use them personally, but I'd hate to be "held accountable" by someone else's religious texts, so I'd rather not go down that road.

Okay, how about the golden rule?

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Actually, the biggest problem facing our country is the fanatical belief that one ideology is always right and the other is always wrong, despite logic to the contrary. The weak minded fall prey to this quite easily.

My way or the highway is exactly it. It's all about winning. Heaven forbid someone admitting to being wrong or that someone has a better idea than you. Neither side wants to cooperate or compromise. How can you get along or find a solution when you're starting with a closed mind.

Whoa, which one? I didn't even know I did, for real.

Edit: You're talking about @GonzoCat90's post. I didn't take it as a slam on Trump (I don't dislike Trump at all). I liked it because it was a fair and valid point on the part of @GonzoCat90. Mostly, I'm not a big Twatter fan.

Of course, you won't read the article.

Way to stay ignorant.

I already know what's in the article dipweed. That issue was debated and beat to death for an entire year.

Trump has a history of promoting jews, blacks, whites, women, and others through his businesses. A racist and bigoted person doesn't do that. That article proves nothing, you are the ignorant one. Try 1955, that's what you're digging for.

I was joking with cowtown, I wasn't trying to do this. If you want, stop by the political thread and get smashed.

I already know what's in the article dipweed. That issue was debated and beat to death for an entire year.

Trump has a history of promoting jews, blacks, whites, women, and others through his businesses. A racist and bigoted person doesn't do that. That article proves nothing, you are the ignorant one. Try 1955, that's what you're digging for.

I was joking with cowtown, I wasn't trying to do this. If you want, stop by the political thread and get smashed.
Oh boy. [roll]

Didn't read Kat's article. On this issue, I decry the outlandish claim that there is even more than an extreme minimum of white cops deliberately killing black youth. It weakens their argument tremendously.

At the same time, I would say one such killing is one too many. If you make that argument I'm totally on board. But otherwise No.

Kat can say whatever he wants, just hope he's not a tool of the grievance industry.

Last edited by a moderator:
This whole thing is disgusting. We've got the extreme right and the extreme left committing acts of violence, hate speech, facism, and even terrorism. I would argue that both groups are very vocal minorities of our country, but that doesn't diminish the damage they're causing.

We have to stop viewing each other by the color of our skin. the color of one's skin makes up, approximately, the same percentage of one's gentletic makeup as their eye color. So, basically nothing.

Don't hate people for the color of their skin. There are plenty of reasons not to like someone without devolving to that.

Stop viewing this as white vs black, gay vs straight, etc. what's going on right now is American on American crime. And with all the people that don't like us across the globe I would think we have enough to deal with without going after each other.

Perfectly said

Didn't make it a full 2 pages before "tribalism" was dropped.

GD, you folks are predictable.

"Allow me to assert my self-inflated opinion as I remove myself from either side of the argument in order to enlighten you folks just how wrong and backward you and the entirety of both sides truly are. Also, you're all tribalists."

Reactions: ashbergh
There have been people trying to fix this problem for forty years. It's just a really complex problem.

It's en vogue to say nobody's paying attention to it ("What about Chicago?!," etc.), but I think the truth is that there are people who are paying attention--it's just not a sexy enough topic for the media.

We have the same problem in Kentucky with the eastern part of the state. There've been systemic, entrenched problems in eastern Kentucky for the entirety of the second half of the 20th century and into this one.

It would be easy for someone to say they don't care about Kentucky because Kentucky can't fix the problems in eastern Kentucky. But the truth is there *are* people trying to fix those problems. They're just so complex that the fixes are mystifying--and costly.
Bravo. That was one incredible side step.

We'd still like to know why black folks who murder other black folks at such an incredible rate are more concerned with the lives of black folks taken by LEO than with the black lives they take themselves.

No need for several paragraphs of feigned intellectual impartiality. You know the answer. The questiion then becomes, do you believe your own bullshit?

Last edited:
No reason to eat him. He’s got an opinion and actually I appreciate him doing what no other athlete has done as far as I can tell. He expressed it in an articulate manner and made his point without the disrespect.

He’s wrong on an awful lot in that and I could spend a long time explaining why, what he’s ignoring, and the parts that have been fabricated news, but I won’t. He’s a rich guy that lives in an echo chamber. Just the way it is.

Well said. He seems like a very nice young man, but he is clueless!

Reactions: ManitouDan
Bravo. That was one incredible side step.

I don't think it's a "side step" at all. I tend to think people assume that nothing is being done about black-on-black crime because that's a politically convenient argument. I hear whites in Kentucky, folks who've never and will never step into an inner city, saying it all the time.

Black on black crime to me is exactly like Appalachian poverty in that there are people constantly working on it but it's such an entrenched problem nobody has found ways to root it out.

This is a good film for instance on a group of people working in Chicago. We would go through our entire lives and not hear a thing about these people. The media doesn't touch this kind of thing because it doesn't stir anything up. It's simply people putting in work toward an unfathomable problem.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1319744/

How many murders have been committed in the entirety of the Commonwealth this year? We're talking about taking life, ass. Not poverty. Not overdoses. MURDER. You aren't worth the thtime taken if you can't even admit to that much.

You're still deflecting answering why blacks care more about the very, very few blacks killed by Law as compared to the number they take themselves. I'm talking outrage in the community, if that's not clear.

Answer the question directly, please, if you can.

How many murders have been committed in the entirety of the Commonwealth this year? We're talking about taking life, ass. Not poverty. Not overdoses. MURDER.

You don't think the murders in the inner city are connected to generational poverty? (And often drugs.)

It's all part of the same cycle. There's slow-motion suicide going on in eastern Kentucky right now, this second. A guy goes to a TJ Maxx parking lot in Middlesboro and doles out meth--what is that but a kind of murder?

It's the same thing. Both of these communities are hollowed out and lost. One just happens to be 90% white.

How many murders have been committed in the entirety of the Commonwealth this year? We're talking about taking life, ass. Not poverty. Not overdoses. MURDER. You aren't worth the thtime taken if you can't even admit to that much.

You're still deflecting answering why blacks care more about the very, very few blacks killed by Law as compared to the number they take themselves. I'm talking outrage in the community, if that's not clear.

Answer the question directly, please, if you can.

There is no doubt that black on black crime is a huge issue.

But that doesn't mean they can't speak out about another issue even tho if affects less people. Maybe they are speaking out on this issue because it's one that should be the easiest to solve right now.

You don't think the murders in the inner city are connected to generational poverty? (And often drugs.)

It's all part of the same cycle. There's slow-motion suicide going on in eastern Kentucky right now, this second. A guy goes to a TJ Maxx parking lot in Middlesboro and doles out meth--what is that but a kind of murder?

It's the same thing. Both of these communities are hollowed out and lost. One just happens to be 90% white.
We;re done here. Good luck tying your shoes.

There is no doubt that black on black crime is a huge issue.

But that doesn't mean they can't speak out about another issue even tho if affects less people. Maybe they are speaking out on this issue because it's one that should be the easiest to solve right now.
Yes, changing the light bulb makes sense when the house is burning down.

ADVERTISEMENT